unexpected sources of PUFA

stressucks

I've been eating paleo for a while. What are some sources of PUFA I may be missing? I didn't realize bacon. I've been eating tons of it for years (about as long as I've been on paleo). What else might I be missing?

I think you can't have paleo without PUFA. Because somehow they think our best diet ever was during the ice age.

J

j.

Some chocolate and ice creams brands put PUFA in their products. Reading the list of ingredients could let you figure out if they do.

jyb

I find ice cream tricky when eating out. I know even restaurants use pufa filled ice cream, so I kind of assume its everywhere the same, except for shops that explicitly mention homemade ice cream.

J

j.

Why couldn't home made ice cream makers add vegetable oils at home?

fyo

Non-ruminant animals, when fed grain primarily (as is standard practice), can develop large PUFA stores. If they eat a good diet though, then their fat is saturated/monounsaturated.
Ruminant animals maintain a saturated/monounsaturated fatty profile even when fed grain.

Cold water fish usually have large PUFAs too.

SQu

Agree with all above. Other than the obvious, like bacon, the worsening ratios in animal fats I think can sneak up on you. Also sadly all meals not prepared in your own kitchen. As a rule of thumb.
I was shocked to find that my favourite takeaway meal (very rare treat) had 28g pufa in the sauce.

lvysaur

fyo said:
Non-ruminant animals, when fed grain primarily (as is standard practice), can develop large PUFA stores. If they eat a good diet though, then their fat is saturated/monounsaturated.
Ruminant animals maintain a saturated/monounsaturated fatty profile even when fed grain.

Cold water fish usually have large PUFAs too.

It's true that lard from a conventionally raised pig isn't the best thing to be eating. However, it's not the absolute worst, either.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2012/12 ... still.html

Standard feed pigs had 20% PUFA by fat composition. For reference, olive oil is around 13%.

Not ideal, but nothing to worry about if it's on occasion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals