I know this is unhealthy... BUT, would a long-term water fast help deplete PUFA?

FredSonoma

Title says all - I'm not planning on doing (another) water fast, but I finished a 20 day fast about a month ago and I'm wondering if that would have any effect on PUFA depletion? Based on the massive sunburn I got last weekend, it didn't, but wondering if there's any science on it. (I also don't generally burn, even when I was a PUFA-eating kid)

(also, I've been somewhat avoiding PUFA for the past 2.5 years, completely cut out vegetable oils 2.5 years ago, avoided chicken generally, ate a lot of coconut oil and beef fat, but still ate salmon at least once a week :? )

Sea

When PUFA are stored they are not doing damage. A water fast will raise stress hormones and bring them out of storage where they then cause damage. Ray Peat advises to keep the liver full of sugar so that it can detoxify the PUFA safely. You can take aspirin and vitamin E to stop some of the damage that PUFA causes.

Stuart

@ FredS_
How much weight did you lose by the end of your fast? I was amazed by how mentally focused the faster in the youtube WestsideP_ posted was on day 21. What did you feel like?

LucH

FredSonoma said:
1. I'm wondering if that would have any effect on PUFA depletion?
2. Based on the massive sunburn I got last weekend, it didn't, but wondering if there's any science on it. (I also don't generally burn, even when I was a PUFA-eating kid)
2. I would also take 4 mg 2X a day of astaxanthin. + aloe vera balm agaisnt sunburn.
With a mix of natural tocopherols (100 - 150 mg vitamin E) and some beta-carotene from fruits and vegetables (5 - 10 mg).
1. Fasting consumes lipid reserves. It may takes 4 years before the stock is depleted.
I would eat minimum 100 - 150 g carbohydrates (150 g = 600 K/cal.) (+ proteins and lipids, of course).

Here are some others points to take into account to counteract the release of PUFA:

[highlight=yellow]What else to dampen inhibitory effects of PUFA.[/highlight]
To counteract inhibition of thyroid (hypo):
Saturated fatty acids + coco (lauric acid) + B3 & B6 + magnesium + algae’s (some iodine but not to much) + selenium (fish). No chlorine or oestrogen therapy.

Since zinc, vitamins B2, B3, B6, B12 and the antioxidant vitamins A, C, and E improve thyroid function the best way back to health means using cold-pressed oils (especially saturated and not too much mono-saturated). Coconut oil is a wise choice.
Vitamin B3: the “energy stimulator”
This vitamin aids in the production of enzymes that convert carbs, glucose and fats into usable energy.

Vitamin B6: This key vitamin helps convert iodine to the thyroid hormone and helps your body better absorb zinc, which you need for a healthy thyroid. B6 also helps Mg to stay inside cell.

L-Tyrosine: This amino acid is beneficial for the production of thyroid hormones and helps boost mental and physical stamina.
See “Natural Thyro formula” by Supersmart

DHEA: If needed (test). To look after when > 50 years old.
=> Natural hormone therapy.

2) SFA
Common saturated fats include butter (ghee), lard, palm oil, coconut oil, organic eggs …
SFA counteract immunosuppressive effects of PUFA.

3) Support immune system
Balanced levels of vitamin A and D3.
The ability of vitamin D to regulate anti-bactericidal proteins is very important...
See “Interaction entre vitamines A D K” (in French, but with translation afterwards)
http://www.lappart-des-spasmos.fr/forum ... 19696.html
:salute
LucH

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals