Too Skinny

M

metabolizm

I do not seem to tolerate starches very well at all.
But when I stop eating them, I become underweight.
Does anyone else face this dilemma?
I don’t have an appetite for large quantities of fruit and milk.
But I don’t want people to keep asking if I’m doing okay because I’m so thin.
Is building muscle the solution?

Hans

Forum Supporter
What starches have you tired without success?
Alternatively you can add fats, such as coconut oil or tallow to increase calories and add weight.
Building muscle is also a great idea, but then you need to eat a lot.

OP
M

metabolizm

@Hans

I’m gluten intolerant, and potatoes seem to clog me up. Rice is ok some of the time. I use butter very liberally. I am going to buy a set of weights.

Constatine

Yes, thats partially why I had to resolve my SIBO while still eating starches. I've always had a fast metabolism and the diets many people eat around here just push me far into the hypermetabolic range. Building muscle was a great solution for me and is generally very healthy. Muscle can be quite protective. I've always felt my best when very muscular.

Hans

Forum Supporter
@Hans

I’m gluten intolerant, and potatoes seem to clog me up. Rice is ok some of the time. I use butter very liberally. I am going to buy a set of weights.
Clog you up as in bloating, constipation?
Have your tried sweet potato or yam maybe?
Eating lots of fatty meat is also a great way to increase calories

You are blessed to be skinny. All obese people are jealous. Don't listen to them you are ok. Fat people want everyone to be fat in order to them be perceived as normal. There is no such phenomena like "too skinny".

Motif

I bet you’re the type who just can’t eat large amounts of food. Just like me.

But it’s simple. You need calories.
You need to find ways to get a lot of them.
It sounds easy, but I know it’s not if you’re like me with this

brix

I’ve always been skinny even when eating 4K calories per day. The best way to gain weight is high fat high carb.
The safest way is to gain muscle and eat high protein high carb.

Runenight201

Go to a Mexican restaurant and eat some damn tacos with sour cream, cheese dip with chips, enchiladas, salsa, margaritas.

Do that every day and you’ll pack on the pounds lol.

I follow this thread :). Having the same issue.
It's not an issue. Don't listen to fat people. There is no such issue like "too skinny".

boris

@metabolizm I was like you. Certainly stresshormones kept melting muscle and fat away, even though I ate basically like Runenight wrote above. In my youth I trained a lot and packed on good amount of muscle, but abstaining from training even for a few months always melted the muscle away to zero. Peating + thyroid supplementation helped me gain body mass. My legs don't look like sticks anymore.

I don't go to the gym and I don't chop wood. Stairs and carrying milk cartons is enough for me at the moment. I average between 2000-3000 calories without extra physical activity, I didn't track calories in the past, so oftentimes I ate way less than that. Especially when in a slump, and then refed with massive amounts (not sustainable).

Did you try cyproheptadine or anything similar for your gut issues? Do you get fiber? I found mushrooms to be great for gut health.

@methylenewhite I think there is. Many don't want to look like a skeleton, especially as a male.

Last edited:

Runenight201

They are beautiful.

They’re malnourished and accelerating their deaths, theres nothing pretty about that.

I completely understand your anger towards obesity acceptance groups. There definitely is too fat, but it’s just as rational to say there is too skinny. Either end of the spectrum causes negative health effects, and is not something a health oriented person should be aiming for.

schultz

It's not an issue. Don't listen to fat people. There is no such issue like "too skinny".

Have you seen anorexic people? There clearly is.

They are beautiful.

I can't tell if you're trolling for fun.

I prefer an overweight woman to an underweight woman. Most underweight men would probably want to add a bit of bulk to their frame. I am going by the BMI chart here, so a 6 foot male would be 130lbs or less to be underweight. My wife was underweight for a while after breastfeeding our 2nd kid. She didn't like it (she was pretty ripped). She looks a lot better with 20 extra pounds added.

The episodes of Epitome of Malnourishment show that people can be too thin. And people get infertile when their weight drops to the point of being anorexic. So, naturally speaking, it isn't beneficial to be underweight.

There is a very true film called Branded. Exactly how "it's ok to be fat" mind virus is created. Don't look at IMDb ratings, people don't get it. I recommend to pair this film with
"Virus of the Mind: The New Science of the Meme" Book by Richard Brodie. This is the only way to properly understand this film and don't fall into those idbm brainless critics.

Spartan300

@boris Your background and mine sound remarkably similar.

What was your thyroid supplementation protocol? Also are you still using thyroid? Thanks

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals