Tinnitus

OP
dd99

dd99

Thanks, tara. Yes, watermelon is simultaneously my favourite fruit and worst cause of bloating. So I've mainly been avoiding it this past year.

Thanks, giraffe. Since stopping cows milk and only drinking goat, I've not had any sinus problems. But if I do, I'll try your tip.

supercoolguy

Had Tinnitus for 30yrs or so. and dont know the answers yet. I got a Reply for RP he mentioned possibel NO issue and can be countered with a little Mythel Blue, MB. Having had a fellow scientist friend cure his Tinn of 10yrs with a little MB. Ive also read that watermelon raises NO. Im running out of things to eat! Not sure what is a good source of MB?

Nick Ireland

For what it's worth.

High serotonin causes tinnitus. Check out the side effects of SSRI's like Prozac and Lustral on community groups. Lots of people talking about this. I was able to invoke tinnitus using 5htp a few years ago.

TRT therapy appears to lower tinnitus and I can vouch for this. It could be the increase in dopamine relative to serotonin?

Improving metabolism improves the function and sensitivity of your senses. Is it possible that tinnitus is an adjustment phase of your improved metabolism ie increased audio sensitivity? What is your eyesight like, has it improved with better metabolism?

Certain antibiotics can temporarily increase tinnitus. I think the mycin class has a rep for this.

Those with high prolactin are more likely to report tinnitus. Those with small prolactin releasing pituitary tumours often report tinnitus.

Out of interest what is your total and free testosterone like? They would be your biggest promoters of dopamine - which opposes serotonin and suppresses prolactin.

Nick Ireland

NDT has recently given me super sensitive hearing, to the point loud noises can be difficult to handle. I think Magnesium could be a culprit. Apparently it is used up quickly in loud noise environments. It will certainly be used up faster as metabolism is improved by NDT. Why not give yourself 600 mg across the day and see if things improve? Mag glycinate has additional benefits and I find it works rapidly.

Peata

mdrsports31 wrote:
Dear Dr. Peat,

I have read about certain medications being ototoxic and causing tinnitus. Are you are of this side effect with any particular medications. I am concerned because I am considering taking Claritin D (loratadine and pseudoephedrine), however, I have read that this can contribute to hearing damage.

Thank
-On Nov 29, 2012, at 1:43 PM

Ray Peat wrote:
Too much pseudoephedrine increases stress hormones, loratadine isn't good for the liver, and anything that irritates the intestine can cause tinnitus by increasing endotoxin absorption.

montmorency

dd99 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96707/ Goat-e, I went to the doctor and the nurse cleaned my ear out. Perhaps it's something in the way I've been eating this past 18 months (more fruit, dairy?), but my ears are filling up with wax faster than ever before. It took a minute to do, then the tinnitus was gone. I felt really stupid, actually. I could have saved myself some stress, thinking I was overdosing on aspirin or not eating the right things, etc.

I'm pleased that worked for you.
However, removing earwax doesn't always get rid of tinnitus.
It didn't in my case. The procedure made it worse if anything.
It's a tricky thing, is tinnitus.

Last edited by a moderator:

montmorency

It won't cure it, but some people may get temporary relief with some acupressure techniques. There are several on You tube that are easy to try.
I got some relief from what was some additional temporary tinnitus with acupressure.
(It didn't help my underlying permanent tinnitus though, which is probably hair-cell damage due to ear infections).

tara

OP
dd99

dd99

montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97005/
dd99 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/96707/ Goat-e, I went to the doctor and the nurse cleaned my ear out. Perhaps it's something in the way I've been eating this past 18 months (more fruit, dairy?), but my ears are filling up with wax faster than ever before. It took a minute to do, then the tinnitus was gone. I felt really stupid, actually. I could have saved myself some stress, thinking I was overdosing on aspirin or not eating the right things, etc.

Yeah, I agree. I just think the first step should be an ear cleaning, because it's quick and you can rule wax out as a cause.

Peata

I never use cotton swabs in my ears anymore after recently having ear infection and when the nurse flushed my ear, there were cotton fibers in with everything else. Small particles of the cotton will come loose and build up. Even though I miss using them, I just keep them out of my ears now. :2cents

montmorency

dd99 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97059/
montmorency said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97005/
dd99 said:

Yeah, I agree. I just think the first step should be an ear cleaning, because it's quick and you can rule wax out as a cause.

Good point.

I think it's possible that wax-buildup left in the ear for a long time, can do damage, especially if it's hard. I think that may have happened in my case (many years ago). Massive build-up of very hard wax which was quite difficult for the nurse to remove.

Giraffe

When I shower I often make sure that my ears get their share. I use cotton swabs afterwards when the ears are still wet.

A friend of mine who had ear infections quite often was advised by his doctor to use a little syringe filled with water to rinse his ears regularly.

OP
dd99

dd99

The nurse made me put a few drops of olive oil in my ear at night for a week before she did the water syringe flush. Maybe that would help softn the wax in your case, montmorency?

Mittir

I never had any ear infection until few years ago. I am very allergic to egg and if i eat egg for few days i get
clogged up ears. I get better once i stop the egg. I usually use olive oil with tiny amount of garlic juice, a drop
in 2 tbs of olive oil and it works wonder. Once i tried cleaning the ear and got ear infection within few days.
Exact same thing happen to a friend of mine, i strong suggested him to avoid ear flushing. He got ear infection
2-3 times after that cleaning. My understanding is that wax protects ear from infection by acting as a barrier
and flushing removes that defense. I hope you do not get any infection. Regular use of olive oil drop keeps the ear
clean. I do not know how hard your wax was, i wonder if just oil drop could dissolve the hard wax.

montmorency

dd99 said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/97157/ The nurse made me put a few drops of olive oil in my ear at night for a week before she did the water syringe flush. Maybe that would help softn the wax in your case, montmorency?

I was referring to an old occurrence (more than 20 years ago). I'd ignored the signs of a possible wax build-up and let it go on too long. (Long story).
I would have used olive oil for 2 weeks before the syringing (standard procedure in my GP's clinic then and now), but in that case, it wasn't enough to soften up the wax.

I still seem to produce a fair amount of wax, but I think it's usually soft and I'm pretty sure I don't have a build-up at the moment (I've been seeing an ENT and audiologist recently over a hearing issue relating to an ear infection).

PeatThemAll

Interesting line of thinking for consideration. Haven't seen any studies or similar posts to confirm its validity:

.... what that says is that salicylic acid binds with proteins in our body, and does so most readily when our blood ph is more acidic and zinc deficient. Salicylic acid also preferentially binds to the proteins in our ears, which causes the ringing (tinnitus), but will also bind to anything else too that looks like a protein that is similar to the ones in our ears that cause ringing.

So, hypothetically.... eating salicylates with certain types of proteins (and apparently in conjunction with alkaline causing foods high in zinc as well) would cause the salicylates to bind to the protein you are eating instead of binding to proteins in your body and causing all the havoc that we experience once it gets into our blood stream. for every 100-200 milliliters of salicylate you ingest, you could technically "neutralize" it with approx. 1 kg of pure protein.

this is why baking soda in water can help mitigate a reaction because it reduces the acidity in our blood temporarily so that the salicylic acid can get filtered out (and we pee it out) before it binds to our proteins and makes us react to it. That is also why taking zinc supplements increases our sal tolerance, and why eating ice cream or adding milk (both have animal proteins in them) to sal-full foods lets you tolerate more of it.

From the same page, funny side note:

milk added to coffee actually makes it more caffeinated. Protein and caffeine are both amines, and tannins (what makes coffee bitter) bind with amines. When milk protein binds with the tannins in the coffee, it displaces the caffeine-tannin bond, thus freeing up more caffeine molecules to float around. Salicylates seem to hypothetically bind with certain proteins too. So milk-based coffee drinks kinda kill two birds with one stone. lol (and it you are lactose-intolerant, the milk is too busy binding with the stuff in the coffee to do as much damage as normal. in addition, if you drink raw milk, which contains it's own lactose enzyme- lactase, which lactose-intolerant folks don't manufacture enough of or at all, you would also be able to tolerate milk based products in almost any context. Too bad its illegal to sell raw milk here in the USA)

Source: http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1221

Birdie

Had Tinnitus for 30yrs or so. and dont know the answers yet. I got a Reply for RP he mentioned possibel NO issue and can be countered with a little Mythel Blue, MB. Having had a fellow scientist friend cure his Tinn of 10yrs with a little MB. Ive also read that watermelon raises NO. Im running out of things to eat! Not sure what is a good source of MB?
I wonder if you ever tried the MB. I have tinnitus ever since some very noisy dental work. Thanks for the tip. I might try it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals