THE ROOT OF GRAY HAIR

Advocate2021

Fascinating thread and i think your latest strategy and results Rinse and Repeat sounds right on. i read about nettle and my hit was that it could possibly be estrogenic an see it contains beta carotene. |Has Dr. Peat ever mentioned it anywhere? i like the idea of the hair reflecting hormone and nutrition balance and think that would be the best way to deal with it. However, i do not that Dr. Peat is fairly grey no? so at a certain point does it just happen anyway? I think i may be about 10 to 15 percent gray- looks less of late and am going to ask my hair person today. But would love to work on this and use it as a barometer for health balance. so many clues our bodies provide us and i am getting many at present but rather than being frustrated, i see the blessings in the body being so full of helpful information that is the gateway to establishing health and balance. So gray hairs thank you for the info!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A study described in the “Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology” journal revealed that a buildup of hydrogen peroxide disrupts melanin in the hair shaft and throughout the body, causing gray hair. Melanin is what gives our hair its color and our skin its pigmentation. Smoking also has been found to influence early graying, and genetics plays a significant role in determining when gray hair appears.”

“Though this study did not focus on the causes of graying in hair, it did reveal that all colors of hair contain levels of zinc. Brown hair contained more zinc than light blond hair, but the difference was slight. Very dark brown or black hair had the highest concentrations of zinc. Copper also is found in hair, and it was noted that as the study subjects got older, the copper content decreased in brown and blond hair. There was no change in zinc concentrations.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
i started getting noticeable grey hair when I started supplementing with zinc. Now I'm only going to get it from food.
That makes sense that your zinc supplement would do that since since zinc opposes copper.

Advocate2021

“After controlling for covariates, the mean plasma total testosterone level was about 14% higher in women who had used hair dyes for 10 or more years than that among women who had never used them (P for trend = 0.02). A similar association was observed when the type of hair dye was restricted to permanent hair dyes. A higher frequency of applying non-permanent hair dyes was marginally significantly associated with higher total and free estradiol levels.
Data suggest that long-term use of hair dyes may be associated with an increase in circulating testosterone levels. As this is, to our knowledge, the first study examining the association between hair dye use and sex hormone levels, replication of the results is required.”

i wonder if there is a correlation with darker versus blonde as i have always seen that the darker colors are the toxic ones. Also wondering if just getting highlights where color does not touch scalp matters? I unfortunately made the mistake of doing single process blonde on my hair and even red for a year for many many years but have just been doing highlights for the last 5 years and thought probably much better. all of this because around the age of 9 or 10 my hair turned to complete ashes - the ugliest ,most dead color imaginable and my endocrine health completely collapsed as well around this age, hmmm maybe the ashy color is also a measure? Although when i got much healthier, my hair remained the color of ashes so there is that.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Fascinating thread and i think your latest strategy and results Rinse and Repeat sounds right on. i read about nettle and my hit was that it could possibly be estrogenic an see it contains beta carotene. |Has Dr. Peat ever mentioned it anywhere? i like the idea of the hair reflecting hormone and nutrition balance and think that would be the best way to deal with it. However, i do not that Dr. Peat is fairly grey no? so at a certain point does it just happen anyway? I think i may be about 10 to 15 percent gray- looks less of late and am going to ask my hair person today. But would love to work on this and use it as a barometer for health balance. so many clues our bodies provide us and i am getting many at present but rather than being frustrated, i see the blessings in the body being so full of helpful information that is the gateway to establishing health and balance. So gray hairs thank you for the info!
As far as Ray Peat going gray, he is in his 80’s so maybe he should try adding in some nettle. It sure got my hair off to a good start.

Advocate2021

I have been working on it for years and this past 6 months I really saw a difference, upping the liver and lowering my meat consumption, because I still eat some starch. Gray hair that I had in other places is completely gone and has thickened in with light brown hair. All of the stiff gray stuff is complete gone. I have not been taking nettle this past 6 months either, so it has been completely from diet. Maybe my hormones can be factoring in too, because my weight isn’t yo-yoing anymore and I am sleeping really good finally too.
have you posted your daily/weekly dietary and supplement (if any) regimen at present anywhere? would love to see this.Thanks!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Through its unique actions on Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG), Nettle Root has the unique ability to seemingly add sex hormones where they are needed and delete them where they are not. Additionally, through Nettle Root’s action on the enzyme aromatase, it goes one step forward: Not only can Nettle Root add and delete, it can prevent the conversion (the aromatization) of estradiol, an estrogen metabolite which can cause damage.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Nettle Leaf is known to be deeply nutritive as a food (a good source of vitamin A and calcium) and as a tea, is known to be able to improve skin, hair, and nail health.

• The leaves contain twice as much protein as spinach and parsley;(4)
  • Nettle Leaf is a richer source of essential amino acids than Brussels sprouts and even almost almonds (by weight). It contains generous amounts of threonine, valine, isoleucine, leucine, phenylalanine, and lysine;
  • The leaves, seeds, stems, and roots have high levels of heart-healthy fats, such as oleic, linoleic, and alpha-linoleic acids;
  • One gram of Nettle leaf powder contains twice as much phenolic content as 100 mL of cranberry juice(5). Phenolic compounds are found in fruits, vegetables, legumes, and herbs. These substances have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anticancer, antihypertensive, anti-arthritic, and antimicrobial properties;
  • 100 g of raw Stinging Nettle Leaf contains 499 mg of vitamin K, making it one of the richest plant sources of the vitamin;(6)
  • The leaves contain high amounts of minerals, such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, sulfur, zinc, manganese, copper, nickel, and selenium.”

Advocate2021

“Nettle Leaf is known to be deeply nutritive as a food (a good source of vitamin A and calcium) and as a tea, is known to be able to improve skin, hair, and nail health.

• The leaves contain twice as much protein as spinach and parsley;(4)
  • Nettle Leaf is a richer source of essential amino acids than Brussels sprouts and even almost almonds (by weight). It contains generous amounts of threonine, valine, isoleucine, leucine, phenylalanine, and lysine;
  • The leaves, seeds, stems, and roots have high levels of heart-healthy fats, such as oleic, linoleic, and alpha-linoleic acids;
  • One gram of Nettle leaf powder contains twice as much phenolic content as 100 mL of cranberry juice(5). Phenolic compounds are found in fruits, vegetables, legumes, and herbs. These substances have potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anticancer, antihypertensive, anti-arthritic, and antimicrobial properties;
  • 100 g of raw Stinging Nettle Leaf contains 499 mg of vitamin K, making it one of the richest plant sources of the vitamin;(6)
  • The leaves contain high amounts of minerals, such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, sulfur, zinc, manganese, copper, nickel, and selenium.”
other than the pufa fatty acids sounds amazing. Well, im taking mexican thyroid pills whose ingredients have never been substantiated (see my threads here today) so ill be adventurous and try some nettle - probably a safer gamble lol.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
other than the pufa fatty acids sounds amazing. Well, im taking mexican thyroid pills whose ingredients have never been substantiated (see my threads here today) so ill be adventurous and try some nettle - probably a safer gamble lol.
Good girl! Girl with the leaves and not an extract, as it is advised to go slow in this article I am reading and linked above….

“For best results, you may start with the lowest dose and gradually increase the doses based on how your body responds.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Also remember like bacon and other PUFA’s, pairing it with good saturated fats, coconut oil, aspirin or vitamin E minimizes the little that is in it, so it doesn’t get stored.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I am glad I reminded myself how amazing nettle is. I am gonna start taking it again….

“Nettle leaf is a star adaptogen, ideal for supporting our bodies through periods of stress. Nettle leaf contains a vast ocean of more than 700 undiscovered phytochemicals. It is life-giving and helps with life-lengthening, it’s an amazing anti-inflammatory for tired organs, and contains healing alkaloids yet to be discovered through scientific research.

In countless cases where a woman’s reproductive system is considered the problem, such as when it comes to hormonal health, it’s really the adrenals that need help as the adrenal glands share the job equally of producing estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone in women. This is where nettle leaf can help. This anti-radiation wild food is amazing for pampering the adrenal glands and other members of the endocrine system that are overburdened, overworked, and overfatigued. Since the ovaries are part of the endocrine system, nettle is a win-win—it helps address multiple sources of hormone disruption at once.

Nettle leaf is the ultimate reproductive herb of all time, especially for women. It helps enhance egg production by supporting the follicle-stimulating hormone that’s integral to producing an ovum, and also rids the body of toxic estrogens that have entered from outside sources such as plastics and pesticides. Rich with bone-building and bone-protecting herbs such as silica, nettle leaf also has more than 40 trace minerals in their most bioactive, bioavailable, and assimilable states. All of this, plus nettle is helpful as a potent pain reliever that enhances our ability to thrive.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I use honey on my hair and scalp and love it. My hair has never been as healthy as this year, because of so many changes in my diet and routines.

“Honey is a natural antioxidant, and using it directly on the scalp may promote hair growthby helping in stimulating the dormant hair follicle.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“As honey is an emollient, it likewise enhances the strength of the hair follicles, which are in charge of hair development. Analysts say that appropriate utilization of nectar of treatment of hair can wake up the resting hair follicles which support the development of hair.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Phytic acid is a naturally occurring substance in seeds and grains that binds to minerals including zinc, iron and calcium and prevents their absorption in the small intestine. Sprouted grains provide more bioavailable nutrients compared to other refined flours.”

Advocate2021

This article might be as to why Ray Peat is gray. Apparently the ascorbic acid in orange juice blocks the absorption of copper. Interestingly in this article it says nuts and grains “contribute heavily to grey hair”. Alcohol and eggs were other major contributors…

Wow i drink a ton of OJ for 15 years. I dont have much gray- im at my highlight appt lol and its less than last time so sometthing been right this last month- but wow interesting

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Wow i drink a ton of OJ for 15 years. I dont have much gray- im at my highlight appt lol and its less than last time so sometthing been right this last month- but wow interesting
What do you think that might have helped?

Advocate2021

What do you think that might have helped?
I did a month of increased thyroid to rebalance an inbalance created the prior 6 months, I added back weekly liver ( i had been doing less frequently for a bit to lower iron) and I reset my circadian rhythm over the last few months after a 6 month stint of its major disruption prior due to stress. ive been pretty consistent with weekly oysters notwithstanding these other fluctuations. I ate a good amount of shrimp this last month as well. so my guess is the increased copper, better rest and increased thyroid temporarily to jump start myself again, ive lowered it again now. Dr. Peat has said that at times creating a hyperthyroid state for a time can repair damage such as radiation etc. i kind of feel thats what i was doing before returning to a more sustainable thyroid regimen.

it is always a balancing act. At one point when i was concerned about iron and per Dr. Peat's advice, I abstained from liver and oysters for a couple of months. Its all about balance and this is what Dr. Peat has always taught us and tuning in and listening to our bodies and being intuitive. I was just reading a thread regarding the lower protein topic which i missed in all the distraction of the my legal endeavors these last couple years- i had not been keeping up as much with new developments here. And some people expressed quite a bit of dissonance; but i do not see it that way.

Dr. Peat has always taught that the "intrinsic knowledge within is far more powerful than any external data". His expression of seemingly dissonant ideas compared to prior ideas are not dissonant at all. the organism is constantly evolving and subjected to different environmental factors at different times. Adaptability is key. I learned this philosophy early in life and saved my life with it but what worked at 29 and 39 and even 40's has evolved at 52 I am finding. Due to the distraction of the insanity these last few years, i went on a bit of health autopilot from the knowledge i had up until that point and have recently again focused more within since i realize i cannot save the world if i myself am not functioning optimally and all of the sudden was realizing i had not adapted to different circumstances at present.

And wow the intuition is just flooding in with some help here thank you. After a 25 -year rapport with Dr. Peat, this power of intuitive knowledge is by far his most seminal teaching above and beyond any "Ray Peat diet/regimen". While there are some basic tenants as guidelines and all humans (unless a defect causes absence) are born with thryoids and livers etc,, each organism has been subjected to unique transgenerational influences and life abuses and must tailor central tenets to its needs. I for one came into this world with some very challenging transgenerational influences , especially for being female, and cannot compare myself to others who came here with a fuller deck of cards healthwise. Through this wisdom, i managed to re-program them for the most part- had a baby when i was told i would never get pregnant, reprogrammed my hormones to a youthful state which continues when i was told i would have to be hormone replacement indefinitely, etc. Yet like Dr. Peat, i am extremely sensitive and have to be pristine with my health whereas there are others out there without even a fraction of my knowledge who function quite robustly and do not have to be as cautious- it seems constitutional.

So in conclusion, the individual organism and whatever state it is in is what governs the "regimen" that works ultimately and that is constantly evolving and changing. the key is never to go on autopilot as i have been guilty of doing on occasions and always staying in tune with our organism. Dr. Peat has said that the thyroid changes daily: hence putting oneself on a steady dose makes no sense- it might be different depending upon the day, the stressors etc. Same with nutrition- sometimes if might be appropriate to do weekly liver and at other times monthly or less depending upon needs and iron buildup, etc.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I did a month of increased thyroid to rebalance an inbalance created the prior 6 months, I added back weekly liver ( i had been doing less frequently for a bit to lower iron) and I reset my circadian rhythm over the last few months after a 6 month stint of its major disruption prior due to stress. ive been pretty consistent with weekly oysters notwithstanding these other fluctuations. I ate a good amount of shrimp this last month as well. so my guess is the increased copper, better rest and increased thyroid temporarily to jump start myself again, ive lowered it again now. Dr. Peat has said that at times creating a hyperthyroid state for a time can repair damage such as radiation etc. i kind of feel thats what i was doing before returning to a more sustainable thyroid regimen.

it is always a balancing act. At one point when i was concerned about iron and per Dr. Peat's advice, I abstained from liver and oysters for a couple of months. Its all about balance and this is what Dr. Peat has always taught us and tuning in and listening to our bodies and being intuitive. I was just reading a thread regarding the lower protein topic which i missed in all the distraction of the my legal endeavors these last couple years- i had not been keeping up as much with new developments here. And some people expressed quite a bit of dissonance; but i do not see it that way.

Dr. Peat has always taught that the "intrinsic knowledge within is far more powerful than any external data". His expression of seemingly dissonant ideas compared to prior ideas are not dissonant at all. the organism is constantly evolving and subjected to different environmental factors at different times. Adaptability is key. I learned this philosophy early in life and saved my life with it but what worked at 29 and 39 and even 40's has evolved at 52 I am finding. Due to the distraction of the insanity these last few years, i went on a bit of health autopilot from the knowledge i had up until that point and have recently again focused more within since i realize i cannot save the world if i myself am not functioning optimally and all of the sudden was realizing i had not adapted to different circumstances at present.

And wow the intuition is just flooding in with some help here thank you. After a 25 -year rapport with Dr. Peat, this power of intuitive knowledge is by far his most seminal teaching above and beyond any "Ray Peat diet/regimen". While there are some basic tenants as guidelines and all humans (unless a defect causes absence) are born with thryoids and livers etc,, each organism has been subjected to unique transgenerational influences and life abuses and must tailor central tenets to its needs. I for one came into this world with some very challenging transgenerational influences , especially for being female, and cannot compare myself to others who came here with a fuller deck of cards healthwise. Through this wisdom, i managed to re-program them for the most part- had a baby when i was told i would never get pregnant, reprogrammed my hormones to a youthful state which continues when i was told i would have to be hormone replacement indefinitely, etc. Yet like Dr. Peat, i am extremely sensitive and have to be pristine with my health whereas there are others out there without even a fraction of my knowledge who function quite robustly and do not have to be as cautious- it seems constitutional.

So in conclusion, the individual organism and whatever state it is in is what governs the "regimen" that works ultimately and that is constantly evolving and changing. the key is never to go on autopilot as i have been guilty of doing on occasions and always staying in tune with our organism. Dr. Peat has said that the thyroid changes daily: hence putting oneself on a steady dose makes no sense- it might be different depending upon the day, the stressors etc. Same with nutrition- sometimes if might be appropriate to do weekly liver and at other times monthly or less depending upon needs and iron buildup, etc.
Sounds like upping your liver and oysters again did the trick! I agree that a steady dose of thyroid doesn’t seem like a good idea, or a steady dose of anything for that matter. I don’t even see how blood tests can even be the same from day to day, with so many changing variables. I will be interested to see how much less gray you have at your next appointment, adding in the nettle leaf!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals