Weighting pros and cons of nettle for grey hairs

Ok thanks! I think I’ll just stick to what worked for you and your family members then... I managed to find one seller here that has your version!
Good to know about the vitamin K as well. K2 supplements are banned in Canada for some reason.

K2 is from animal products so that is strange.

ilovethesea

K2 is from animal products so that is strange.
I’m not sure if the regulations changed more recently but when I was into K2 a few years ago there were no standalone products... only combined D + K2 supplements with very low amounts. I had to order Thorne K2 from the US as they don’t sell it here. So now that I ran out I’m glad I can just take the nettle :):

MJ928

Hi, i have followed this thread and decided to try nettle leaf (nature's way brand). I took one tablet a day.
After 2 days i noticed the onset of slight dysfunction down below. After day 4 it was becoming more noticeable. After day 6 I decided to stop as I did not want to cause any lasting issues.
Nettle leaf may have an impact on reversing grey hair but I could not take the risk.

ilovethesea

Hi, i have followed this thread and decided to try nettle leaf (nature's way brand). I took one tablet a day.
After 2 days i noticed the onset of slight dysfunction down below. After day 4 it was becoming more noticeable. After day 6 I decided to stop as I did not want to cause any lasting issues.
Nettle leaf may have an impact on reversing grey hair but I could not take the risk.
What type of dysfunction? Erectile?

Jigend

I used this brand and just followed the directions.
Damn, that's 4 times the dose of the neetle leaf capsules I have! Did you take 870mg of that once per day, or was it more?

Also, how long did it take -- more or less -- for you to start noticing changes to the color and tonality of your hair?
White hair is a tricky thing, it seems. There's plenty of dimensions to what could cause it. As factors for white hair, to my knowledge there are:

- Low catalase activity (could be caused by low magnesium IIRC)
- High homocysteine (solvable by increasing folate)
- High serotonin/ tryptophan
- High adrenergic activity
- Low thyroid
- Low copper

Also, it seems like in regards to hair color, not all hair is the same. You will have men with many white hairs on their beard, but none on their scalp. Not to mention how body hair seems to be the "strongest link in the chain", with people who've gone all white sometimes having their body hair retaining its color. Perhaps there's something related to circulation and the skull that functions differently from the rest of the body?

I'd like to find more studies on Nettle -- to learn about what it actually does -- but those are difficult to come by.

Either way, I may increase the daily dosage of nettle leaf extract, to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the workings of nettle are very dose dependent, which is why some people say it did nothing for them.

Damn, that's 4 times the dose of the neetle leaf capsules I have! Did you take 870mg of that once per day, or was it more?

Also, how long did it take -- more or less -- for you to start noticing changes to the color and tonality of your hair?
White hair is a tricky thing, it seems. There's plenty of dimensions to what could cause it. As factors for white hair, to my knowledge there are:

- Low catalase activity (could be caused by low magnesium IIRC)
- High homocysteine (solvable by increasing folate)
- High serotonin/ tryptophan
- High adrenergic activity
- Low thyroid
- Low copper

Also, it seems like in regards to hair color, not all hair is the same. You will have men with many white hairs on their beard, but none on their scalp. Not to mention how body hair seems to be the "strongest link in the chain", with people who've gone all white sometimes having their body hair retaining its color. Perhaps there's something related to circulation and the skull that functions differently from the rest of the body?

I'd like to find more studies on Nettle -- to learn about what it actually does -- but those are difficult to come by.

Either way, I may increase the daily dosage of nettle leaf extract, to see if it makes a difference. Maybe the workings of nettle are very dose dependent, which is why some people say it did nothing for them.

Old Irenaeus started taking nettle and posted a pic of his beard hairs changing from gray back to his natural color, right away. Some follicles are not redeemable, but they only have a three year life anyway and fall out, but new growth is hopeful. Changing one’s diet may help, like lower phosphorus or upping calcium to balance it. I think too much meat and grains is aging to skin and hair.

Attachments

• 416A5853-154A-4FD7-90A4-AB712E66D7EE.png
    416A5853-154A-4FD7-90A4-AB712E66D7EE.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 35
Some on the forum and other forums swear by the nettle effect on reversing gray hairs, i am aware that if messes with DHT production.

The question is, how badly would my DHT?/masculinity? suffer from some nettle every day.
Doing some digging today, I couldn't find anything that suggested stinging nettle lowered DHT or blocked 5AR except low quality "health website" articles and reddit posts that didnt cite any sources. On pubmed, the papers that did suggest lower DHT either cited other sources that claimed the opposite (increased T + DHT + E), or saw a 5AR-inhibiting effect at concentrations practically impossible to achieve in vivo. The prostrate-shrinking and pro-hair effects almost certainly come from something else, it just so happens that the benefits of the herb overlap with two intertwined, flawed theories.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Doing some digging today, I couldn't find anything that suggested stinging nettle lowered DHT or blocked 5AR except low quality "health website" articles and reddit posts that didnt cite any sources. On pubmed, the papers that did suggest lower DHT either cited other sources that claimed the opposite (increased T + DHT + E), or saw a 5AR-inhibiting effect at concentrations practically impossible to achieve in vivo. The prostrate-shrinking and pro-hair effects almost certainly come from something else, it just so happens that the benefits of the herb overlap with two intertwined, flawed theories.
thanks mate, keep us updated if you find something valuable :)

Pistachio

Some on the forum and other forums swear by the nettle effect on reversing gray hairs, i am aware that if messes with DHT production.

The question is, how badly would my DHT?/masculinity? suffer from some nettle every day.

This is concerning:

In mouse mating studies, stinging nettle leaf extract (50 mg p.o. daily) reduced male fertility by 53% compared to vehicle-treated male mice

“Stinging Nettle contains compounds that may enhance fertility for both men and women.

For men, the root of stinging nettle has 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran, a compound which boosts testosterone levels, resulting in improved sperm quality and increased sexual desire.”

Pistachio

“Stinging Nettle contains compounds that may enhance fertility for both men and women.

For men, the root of stinging nettle has 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran, a compound which boosts testosterone levels, resulting in improved sperm quality and increased sexual desire.”

Conflicting evidence.

I want to try nettle, but I don't want to put hormones out of whack.

Pistachio

There are two nettles part that have benefits, the leaf and the root,
So the root is pro-testosterone while the leaf may not be?

Lowering DHT is not necessarily a good thing. DHT has its uses. Beta-sitosterol will shrink an enlarged prostate but will have finasteride-like effects on libido. If nettle, which also shrinks enlarged prostate, acts anything like Beta-sitosterol, then nettle might not be good for men to use long term.

Pistachio

I just read an article comparing finasteride, saw palmetto (Beta-Sitosterol), and nettle effects on DHT. Seems fin and palmetto act in a similar way while nettle works in a different way to achieve a similar effect on BPH. This is promising, I suppose. Still afraid to dabble with nettle though.

Aside from what nettle might do to DHT, it's apparent inhibition of aromatase is very appealing.

Last edited:
So the root is pro-testosterone while the leaf may not be?

Lowering DHT is not necessarily a good thing. DHT has its uses. Beta-sitosterol will shrink an enlarged prostate but will have finasteride-like effects on libido. If nettle, which also shrinks enlarged prostate, acts anything like Beta-sitosterol, then nettle might not be good for men to use long term.
Here is an article I posted in my Root of Gray Hair thread that explains a lot…

@Rinse & rePeat

In the above article you cited it says not to use if you have diabetes, heart disease, or kidney disorders.
As I have heart disease and want to try this I am pretty disappointed.
Do you think this is absolutely true or could be dose-dependent?

@Rinse & rePeat

In the above article you cited it says not to use if you have diabetes, heart disease, or kidney disorders.
As I have heart disease and want to try this I am pretty disappointed.
Do you think this is absolutely true or could be dose-dependent?

I think the nettle is only a possible issue because of the diabetic drugs involved. It sounds to me that nettle is a good way to manage diabetes, without drugs. I don’t really know how the root and leaves differ, in the case of diabetes, and is something to look into also. If I had to guess, when they are saying “nettles” they are talking about the leaves. The leaves are pretty much salad. Grapefruit in itself is just a food, but is good for thinning the blood, so if one is taking blood thinner medication then it becomes too much. It sounds to me that this is a possible case scenario with nettle and diabetes.

“Conclusions: Nettle may safely improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetic patients needing insulin therapy.”

“Nettles may help control blood sugar by decreasing blood glucose, increasing insulin secretion, and reducing inflammation in people with type 2 diabetes.“

“There is some evidence that stinging nettle may raise blood sugar and interfere with diabetes management. There is also evidence that it can lower blood sugar. Patients with diabetes should monitor their blood sugar closely when using stinging nettle. Stinging nettle can have a diuretic effect.”

“Stinging nettle may lower blood sugar, so it could strengthen the effects of these drugs, raising the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).”

@Rinse & rePeat

Thanks for that.... gives some clarification, I do not have diabetes but I do have heart disease but on no drugs
except for aspirin.
I'm sure if I look hard enough I will find something that tells me if it's good for heart disease LOL

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals