Weighting pros and cons of nettle for grey hairs

@Rinse & rePeat

what did I just say

Stinging nettle has antiproliferative, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, anti-infectious, hypotensive, and antiulcer characteristics, as well as the ability to prevent cardiovascular disease, in all parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots, and seeds).22 Jun 2022

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Boys and girls, anyone ended up trying nettle for a longer period ?

Good find! @Elderflower j58

“It is a plant that’s edible and has nutritional and medicinal properties. Young leaves can be used to make curries, herb soups, and sour soups. The root of the stinging nettle is used to treat mictional difficulties associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia, while the leaves are used to treat arthritis, rheumatism, and allergic rhinitis. Its leaves are abundant in fiber, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidant compounds like polyphenols and carotenoids, as well as antioxidant compounds like polyphenols and carotenoids. Stinging nettle has antiproliferative, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, anti-infectious, hypotensive, and antiulcer characteristics, as well as the ability to prevent cardiovascular disease, in all parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots, and seeds). Stinging nettle improves fish reproductive performance, making it a cost-effective aquaculture plant. Fertilizer and insecticides can be made from the plants. This review examines the nutritional and pharmacological aspects of stinging nettle, as well as its possible health advantages.”

Philomath

Good find! @Elderflower j58

“It is a plant that’s edible and has nutritional and medicinal properties. Young leaves can be used to make curries, herb soups, and sour soups. The root of the stinging nettle is used to treat mictional difficulties associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia, while the leaves are used to treat arthritis, rheumatism, and allergic rhinitis. Its leaves are abundant in fiber, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidant compounds like polyphenols and carotenoids, as well as antioxidant compounds like polyphenols and carotenoids. Stinging nettle has antiproliferative, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, anti-infectious, hypotensive, and antiulcer characteristics, as well as the ability to prevent cardiovascular disease, in all parts of the plant (leaves, stems, roots, and seeds). Stinging nettle improves fish reproductive performance, making it a cost-effective aquaculture plant. Fertilizer and insecticides can be made from the plants. This review examines the nutritional and pharmacological aspects of stinging nettle, as well as its possible health advantages.”

I may try to grow some here in the dunes of Lake Michigan. I like the anti-inflammatory aspect, the wife and kids could use it for the PMS easing and the decrease of menopause side effects
Any thoughts on which type is the most "medicinal"?
  • Urtica dioica subsp. afghanica: This plant is native to central and southwestern Asia, and it sometimes does not have stinging barbs.
  • U. dioica subsp. dioica: This nettle is commonly found in Europe.
  • U. dioica subsp. gansuensis: This plant is found in China.
  • U. dioica subsp. gracilis: Known as American stinging nettle, this plant is found in North America.
  • U. dioica subsp. holosericea: Known as hoary nettle or mountain nettle, this plant is found throughout western North America.

I may try to grow some here in the dunes of Lake Michigan. I like the anti-inflammatory aspect, the wife and kids could use it for the PMS easing and the decrease of menopause side effects
  • Urtica dioica subsp. afghanica: This plant is native to central and southwestern Asia, and it sometimes does not have stinging barbs.
  • U. dioica subsp. gracilis: Known as American stinging nettle, this plant is found in North America.
  • U. dioica subsp. holosericea: Known as hoary nettle or mountain nettle, this plant is found throughout western North America.
I am growing plants @Philomath. I am a little nervous to cook them up, but I heard from a Greek restaurant owner that he looks forward to them when he goes to visit family in Greece. He says they serve it everywhere over there.

Attachments

• 90FDC644-7BBB-430E-A8D5-D27F75949AB0.jpeg
    90FDC644-7BBB-430E-A8D5-D27F75949AB0.jpeg
    541.7 KB · Views: 4
  • F2216B5A-7D03-4A2B-AED5-8B4931DB42E4.jpeg
    F2216B5A-7D03-4A2B-AED5-8B4931DB42E4.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 4
  • ECFDAC52-647C-4931-BE5F-CF4A170F1ED4.jpeg
    ECFDAC52-647C-4931-BE5F-CF4A170F1ED4.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 4

Veritas IV

If it were myself i would grow the European and Chinese subspecies as these are the civilizations where it's medicinal use and studies originated. I do not know how long it's been used in TCM but i'm sure it's been centuries. As for research, there's been plenty in Europe, so i imagine they studied the subspecies local to them. If you discover a better subspecies in the meantime you can always plant it next year.

And if i grew both types, i would use both at the same time. I just may give it a shot this year, still some time to order the seeds, have a perfect unused bed, can dehydrate then vacuum wrap any excess. Hmmm.

Been using it for over a dozen years also. Teas, capsules, and in the shampoo a few times. And that's with no copper supplements till more recently. Very few gray hairs

Kyle970

Wheat grass shots for grays works great for me.
Having some liver, shitake mushrooms, etc., dessert piece of chocolate. Skin glowes afterwards as well alot less gray.
Have worked with nettle for a couple years and it recently stopped doing anything at all for me. Would like to try growing the herb for better potency.

Last edited:
OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Wheat grass shots for grays works great for me.
Having some liver, shitake mushrooms, etc., dessert piece of chocolate. Skin glowes afterwards as well alot less gray.
Have worked with nettle for a couple years and it recently stopped doing anything at all for me. Would like to try growing the herb, think that is the way to go these days for potency.
did you reverse grey hairs with these you mean?

Kyle970

Just temporarily unfortunately but possibly other stuff I take sometimes like vitamin c may not help me in that area.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals