Exploring Hairloss Paradoxes in Peatworld

grapes

I recall my dad who enlisted in the military during the Korean War say that he left for Korea with a full head of thick hair and came back bald in just a few years. He was convinced he had contracted a parasite while there, that caused him to rapidly lose his hair. Maybe certain parasites can trigger this phenomenon, and it depends on each person’s constitution and gut micro biome as to whether they can overcome it or at leas keep it in check.
Interesting, it seems like usually it is people moving from the far east to western countries that get hairloss.
If hairloss was caused by some parasite I'd suspect demodex mites. Maybe when enrolling to the military he got some nasty vaccines. Would be interesting to know what he's been eating there too.

grapes

Or maybe it is the corn and soy that the cow was fed causing the issue. I had skin problems eating conventional dairy and meat. Grass-fed animal fats are full of vitamins, and resolved my skin issues.
You mean dairy part of his sugary foods? Maybe ..

Nicole W.

Interesting, it seems like usually it is people moving from the far east to western countries that get hairloss.
If hairloss was caused by some parasite I'd suspect demodex mites. Maybe when enrolling to the military he got some nasty vaccines. Would be interesting to know what he's been eating there too.
Honestly, I’m not sure which vaccines he received or what kind of food he ate at that time. It was the early 1950’s so maybe treatment of GI’s was better then. My dad said that when he was there he was in a location that had a fairly primitive way of life. I guess this lead him to believe he had been exposed to something, either consuming something pathogenic in the food or being exposed to something in the water. He thought that maybe it was something in the water that he showered in that gave him a type of fungal infection. The hair loss was pretty rapid and he could not find another explanation for it so for years claimed he had caught something while there that made him go bald.

joaquin

As a bald man myself, I started shedding around my senior year of high school. There's not much that can be done exempt maybe don't wear a ball cap as they always seemed to make my hair fall out faster, circulation to the scalp is important. Also, don't do weight lifting. That will make ya bald very quick.
And if you do go bald, we will warmly welcome you into the community. Just don't be like that one man on here that wears the ridicurous toupee.

My late husband had a thick head of hair and started losing it when he stopped brushing it and used hair gels. He stopped using heavy gels and brushed it everyday and the hair loss stopped. My son started receding from using beanies and hair ties everyday, and when he realized it was causing him to lose hair he stopped and his hair is thick and healthy again. I think lack of blood flow and stimulation is a culprit for some.

ddjd

Something that’s been on my mind recently is trying to figure out the paradoxes we see looking at the world through a Peat lens. One of them being that I am in my mid 30s and have significant hair thinning which started in my mid 20s, along with lots of gray hairs on my head and beard. I’ve been on thyroid and eating a low PUFA, low iron, high sugar, moderate protein, high calcium to phosphate diet going on 6 years. I take vitamin D, K2, and aspirin regularly. However, the hair loss is still progressing.

Meanwhile, I have a brother 6 years older than me who has a full head of hair and no grays. Here’s the crux of the paradox, aside from him being older: his life has been a high stress disaster for the past decade plus. I’m talking mental illness, divorce, money problems, periodic homelessness, drug abuse. He’ll be sickly skinny at times with horrible skin, and he has ended up in the hospital many times with infections and other health issues, but his hair has stayed full with no visible thinning or graying. Meanwhile, I would categorize my life as pretty low stress, good nutrition as I mentioned, no drugs and little alcohol. Even before Peating I was more paleo but avoided grains and ate lots of coconut oil, milk, and organ meats.

How do we account for this seemingly paradoxical discrepancy? Peat argues against randomness and genetic determinism, so let’s try not to chalk it all up to a fluke.

My only theory - my brother has always been a sugar addict. So much that he ruined his teeth. The dude practically gets all his calories from candy and soda and the occasional hamburger. Okay, so perhaps he’s maintained a high metabolic rate. But the high sugar, low nutrient diet obviously has caused deficiencies on top of chronic environmental stress. Why then has his body spared his hair at the expense of seemingly a host of other health issues? Let me say that I am very healthy and high energy in other ways, good skin snd teeth, so I would not swap thick hair for all his other health problems, but I admit it mystified me that he seemingly lucked out in that one regard.

And no, his father is not the milkman or something like that. We are confirmed siblings 100%.

Meanwhile, I’ll admit I ate high PUFA when I was younger and also did stupid stuff like fasted weight lifting, so there’s plausible factors that could have contributed to my premature hair loss. Still, it seems my brother had fewer reasons why he should still have his hair.
Have you tried taurine. Ridiculously underrated

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Have you tried taurine. Ridiculously underrated
Topical or oral supplementation? I do have taurine powder that I regularly put into fruit smoothies or take on its own. Also I drink Red Bull on occasion.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

As a bald man myself, I started shedding around my senior year of high school. There's not much that can be done exempt maybe don't wear a ball cap as they always seemed to make my hair fall out faster, circulation to the scalp is important. Also, don't do weight lifting. That will make ya bald very quick.
And if you do go bald, we will warmly welcome you into the community. Just don't be like that one man on here that wears the ridicurous toupee.
I agree, when your time comes it’s best to embrace your baldness with confidence and not hide it. Some men look great bald. For some, takes more getting used to. Hair loss is stressful, but I don’t fear it as much as most men probably because my father and both grandfathers were bald by their 30s, so I always assumed it was a given. I also have another brother close to my age who is losing his hair. Which makes it all the more mystifying that our oldest brother still has a full head of hair when he’s the oldest and the least healthy in many ways!

Limon9

Hair loss appears to be such a difficult problem that the final answer is just to give up, and contravene the utopian Lamarckist spirit. I had some diffuse thinning which slowed to near-nil with regular haircuts and a good diet, and head massages are a real slow-burner therapy which happen to feel great anyway. Liver/gallbladder, macrophage polarization and mineralocorticoids seem to be important. Men with pattern baldness almost always have high aldosterone, even if their blood pressure is normal.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

My late husband had a thick head of hair and started losing it when he stopped brushing it and used hair gels. He stopped using heavy gels and brushed it everyday and the hair loss stopped. My son started receding from using beanies and hair ties everyday, and when he realized it was causing him to lose hair he stopped and his hair is thick and healthy again. I think lack of blood flow and stimulation is a culprit for some.
Interesting. I remember someone asked the actor Christopher Walken in an interview what the secret was to his hair staying thick even into old age. He said when he was younger, the actor Anthony Perkins (yes, of Psycho fame) gave him the advice to yank and tug at his hair every morning for a few minutes, to promote blood flow. He claims he’s followed the advice ever since, so maybe there’s something to it.

JamesGatz

I've lived a life SIMILAR to your brother and have a PERFECT HAIRLINE

EVERY HOMELESS MAN in my neighborhood has a PERFECT hairline

Hair loss is caused by stress - serotonin, estrogen, cortisol

The problem is, most in the RP community associate stress with cortisol and most of them aren't savvy to SLIGHT CHANGES that raise serotonin

So for example - alcoholics and drug addicts are actually NOT UNDER much stress, take a drink of alcohol or the same drugs they're taking and you'll feel CHILL and your tongue remain GLUED to the upper palate

When you are NOT under stress, your tongue should be GLUED to the roof of the mouth and hair should be PERFECT

AS SOON as your tongue is unable to stay on the upper palate, you are under stress

So hence, US GUYS that are immune to hairloss NEVER AMOUNT TO MUCH IN LIFE

because we refuse to raise stress/serotonin, so HENCE holding a job or staying in school becomes difficult, DOING MUCH OF ANYTHING is difficult for us guys with good hair

Society norm is not meant for people - 9-5, school, all this technology, etc. - this is ALL STRESS and no one can handle it - if you THINK you can handle it, and are SUFFERING FROM ANY MEDICAL CONDITION WHATSOEVER - hair loss, bad teeth, etc - your body cannot handle it and your body is OPERATING on serotonin

NO MATTER HOW BALD YOU ARE

I GUARANTEE YOU - your hair would make a RIDICULOUS COMEBACK if you spent 8+ hours at the park everyday and were on vacation - BONUS POINTS if you don't have kids or a nagging wife at home

Interesting. I remember someone asked the actor Christopher Walken in an interview what the secret was to his hair staying thick even into old age. He said when he was younger, the actor Anthony Perkins (yes, of Psycho fame) gave him the advice to yank and tug at his hair every morning for a few minutes, to promote blood flow. He claims he’s followed the advice ever since, so maybe there’s something to it.
The more i pull on, twirl and play with my hair the faster mine grows.make sure to brush mine every night, which wasn’t something I did, until the last 8 months or so, and my hair it so healthy. I gets lots of compliments and I don’t go to a salon or color it either, at 59. I think stimulating the scalp is a big deal. Make sure to use a gentle brush that isn’t made of metal or that scratches the scalp. I think the head needs to breath and not get sweaty and the follicles breading bacteria trapped in a hat.

Pablo Cruise

Something that’s been on my mind recently is trying to figure out the paradoxes we see looking at the world through a Peat lens. One of them being that I am in my mid 30s and have significant hair thinning which started in my mid 20s, along with lots of gray hairs on my head and beard. I’ve been on thyroid and eating a low PUFA, low iron, high sugar, moderate protein, high calcium to phosphate diet going on 6 years. I take vitamin D, K2, and aspirin regularly. However, the hair loss is still progressing.

Meanwhile, I have a brother 6 years older than me who has a full head of hair and no grays. Here’s the crux of the paradox, aside from him being older: his life has been a high stress disaster for the past decade plus. I’m talking mental illness, divorce, money problems, periodic homelessness, drug abuse. He’ll be sickly skinny at times with horrible skin, and he has ended up in the hospital many times with infections and other health issues, but his hair has stayed full with no visible thinning or graying. Meanwhile, I would categorize my life as pretty low stress, good nutrition as I mentioned, no drugs and little alcohol. Even before Peating I was more paleo but avoided grains and ate lots of coconut oil, milk, and organ meats.

How do we account for this seemingly paradoxical discrepancy? Peat argues against randomness and genetic determinism, so let’s try not to chalk it all up to a fluke.

My only theory - my brother has always been a sugar addict. So much that he ruined his teeth. The dude practically gets all his calories from candy and soda and the occasional hamburger. Okay, so perhaps he’s maintained a high metabolic rate. But the high sugar, low nutrient diet obviously has caused deficiencies on top of chronic environmental stress. Why then has his body spared his hair at the expense of seemingly a host of other health issues? Let me say that I am very healthy and high energy in other ways, good skin snd teeth, so I would not swap thick hair for all his other health problems, but I admit it mystified me that he seemingly lucked out in that one regard.

And no, his father is not the milkman or something like that. We are confirmed siblings 100%.

Meanwhile, I’ll admit I ate high PUFA when I was younger and also did stupid stuff like fasted weight lifting, so there’s plausible factors that could have contributed to my premature hair loss. Still, it seems my brother had fewer reasons why he should still have his hair.
You are asking questions no one has an answer for. My opinion, not a Peat response, your brother has good hair genes. Do genetic testing, get his genetic testing and compare.

dreamcatcher

I've lived a life SIMILAR to your brother and have a PERFECT HAIRLINE

EVERY HOMELESS MAN in my neighborhood has a PERFECT hairline

Hair loss is caused by stress - serotonin, estrogen, cortisol

The problem is, most in the RP community associate stress with cortisol and most of them aren't savvy to SLIGHT CHANGES that raise serotonin

So for example - alcoholics and drug addicts are actually NOT UNDER much stress, take a drink of alcohol or the same drugs they're taking and you'll feel CHILL and your tongue remain GLUED to the upper palate

When you are NOT under stress, your tongue should be GLUED to the roof of the mouth and hair should be PERFECT

AS SOON as your tongue is unable to stay on the upper palate, you are under stress

So hence, US GUYS that are immune to hairloss NEVER AMOUNT TO MUCH IN LIFE

because we refuse to raise stress/serotonin, so HENCE holding a job or staying in school becomes difficult, DOING MUCH OF ANYTHING is difficult for us guys with good hair

Society norm is not meant for people - 9-5, school, all this technology, etc. - this is ALL STRESS and no one can handle it - if you THINK you can handle it, and are SUFFERING FROM ANY MEDICAL CONDITION WHATSOEVER - hair loss, bad teeth, etc - your body cannot handle it and your body is OPERATING on serotonin

NO MATTER HOW BALD YOU ARE

I GUARANTEE YOU - your hair would make a RIDICULOUS COMEBACK if you spent 8+ hours at the park everyday and were on vacation - BONUS POINTS if you don't have kids or a nagging wife at home
I always wondered about 'the homeless men and good hair' connection.
I think I have the answer now. It's not (only) low stress. It's being exposed to natural light as the most crucial element for good health and the avoidance of artificial light after sunset.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YV_iKnzDRg

I've shared this before.

OP
Phaedrus

Phaedrus

I always wondered about 'the homeless men and good hair' connection.
I think I have the answer now. It's not (only) low stress. It's being exposed to natural light as the most crucial element for good health and the avoidance of artificial light after sunset.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YV_iKnzDRg

I've shared this before.

Maybe being homeless was a good experience for @JamesGatz but not for my brother. It’s not like he stayed in a van in Malibu with hippy chicks and went surfing everyday. And being homeless doesn’t always mean unemployed. My brother’s still mostly worked - jobs doing roofing and other construction mostly, nothing that would be considered low stress. And he’s basically slept in tents in cold climates and crashed in drug houses. Nothing about his life, especially the times he has been homeless, have been low stress. He’s an anxious and emotional wreck 90% of the time.

JamesGatz

Maybe being homeless was a good experience for @JamesGatz but not for my brother. It’s not like he stayed in a van in Malibu with hippy chicks and went surfing everyday. And being homeless doesn’t always mean unemployed. My brother’s still mostly worked - jobs doing roofing and other construction mostly, nothing that would be considered low stress. And he’s basically slept in tents in cold climates and crashed in drug houses. Nothing about his life, especially the times he has been homeless, have been low stress. He’s an anxious and emotional wreck 90% of the time.
Alright IM NOT SURE then

My cousin HAS A PERFECT HAIRLINE TOO, Dude has NEVER held a job in his life or took school seriously, smoked TONS of weed in high school and he developed PRETTY WELL its interesting

HONESTLY I've never been homeless, my parents would never allow me to do that BUT IVE RECEIVED all the BENEFITS that homeless people get (stayed in the park ALL DAY but eating GOOD FOOD from my familys fridge), this is the IDEAL LIFE FOR ME

WORKING AT A PARK IS MY DREAM JOB

joaquin

I think the key is to keep cortisol as low as possible. Cortisol for some reason, maybe it restricts the capillaries, is the MAIN COMPONENT of hair loss.

JamesGatz

PERSONALLY what I believe happens is when a person is LOW METABOLISM (encountering stress) their jaw RECESSES - this is why hair loss tends to OCCUR with the sensation that you CAN'T BREATHE

Its a pretty good theory I found online - this guy thinks hair loss is caused by malocclusion which us WHY it follows the horshoe/NW pattern due to where the BLOOD FLOWS

serotonin, estrogen, and cortisol all cause this - the can't breathe sensation of your jaw falling back into the airways from stress

With HEALTHY METABOLISM - its VERY EASY to breathe through the nose, at the park or beach is the EASIEST place to breathe - facial structure ALSO LOOKS BEST in these environments

3E82A4DD-2D5B-4493-8405-582CF4088E0D.png

Limon9

PERSONALLY what I believe happens is when a person is LOW METABOLISM (encountering stress) their jaw RECESSES - this is why hair loss tends to OCCUR with the sensation that you CAN'T BREATHE
Many claim digestive involvement - irritation there causes stuffiness and apnea. Ha. Maybe a park-hobo benefits from eating less food, reducing the total irritants.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals