THE ROOT OF GRAY HAIR

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“There are some studies being done to look at how and why this may work. However, what we know is that the use of caffeine may help to increase hair growth. It helps to extend the hair growth cycle, increasing a person’s hair growth an average of 33 percent.”

HighT

Report back for vinegar aspirin copper wires solution.

It seems the copper wires don't dissolve well. They have lost their shine and maybe have leaked a bit, but the liquid stays same color. There isn't blue tone to it. Anyway I were aplying last two weeks or so on few grays twice a day without result.

Next thing Im gonna try is copper sulfate used in gardening. There are warnings to avoid contact with skin, but I will delute it well and make a try for the science.

If that doesn't work, I will proceed to collodial copper from video above. Then brewer yeast and lastly Im going to supplement orally copper folate b12.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Just thinking about, anticipating, sex increases testosterone, makes the whiskers grow faster; general good health keeps the increased testosterone from increasing estrogen and cortisol." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“There are suggestions related to excess serotonin contributing to greying. Possibly also copper deficiency or dysregulation.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Ray has written about the role of low copper, high serotonin, and generally low thyroid function in changing hair color from dark (or blonde) into white with advancing age. It just so happens, that these phenomena also affect heart health. I have long suspected that premature greying of hair on top of head is a sign of poorer health but could not find many studied which examined the connection.
This study found that such a link indeed exists, and in general the whiter the hair of the male is the higher his risk of having or developing CVD. So, as they say, grey hair is a possible biomarker of "biological age" and thus systemic health.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“He was able to return home after a month. On discharge from the ICU, complete repigmentation of all gray hairs of his scalp was observed and these have retained their coloration during 2 years of follow-up. His underlying disease did not show significant changes and he still needed specific treatment. The patient did not receive any other medication while he was in hospital.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“To recap, melanin is a form of an amino acid known as tyrosine, which helps support healthy brain function. As a derivative of tyrosine, melanin is responsible for the pigmentation – essentially the color of our hair and skin. In addition to providing us with our unique skin and hair colors, melanin’s primary function is to absorb harmful UVA rays and transform them into energy, thus reducing our chance of developing deadly skin diseases and cancers. Melanin deficiency can result in a range of diseases, including albinism an even Parkinson’s Diseases – and of course, this deficiency also directly contributes to grey hair.

Studies have shown that hair with large amounts of melanin are more saturated in color than their deficient counterparts; therefore, when melanin death occurs (which can arise due to the natural aging process, stress and genetics), the hair follicles become less saturated with color and are effectively bleached into grey hair. So it stands to reason that if a decrease in melanin production contributes to greying, then an increase in melanin production can re-saturate the hair with pigmentation, thereby effectively reversing the process.

And that’s exactly what scientists set out to test.

In a two-year study conducted by the Department of Dermatology at University Hospital in Uppsala, Sweden, researchers discovered that folic acid, vitamin B12 (also called cobalamin) and sun exposure could help encourage re-pigmentation of the skin and hair. One hundred patients with vitiligo – a condition where the skin loses its pigmentation –were treated with folic acid and B12, and told to increase their exposure to the sun. After three to six months, researchers noted that re-pigmentation was evident in 64% of patients, with six patients experiencing total re-pigmentation.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Now, with Peating though, my white hair looks blonde as there is slight pigment coming back. But some strands of hair are growing back black and you can see the blonde white on the other end. My new hair grows back very straight and very smooth, compared to older hair which is coarse and less smooth.

I remember Dr Peat saying about kids' hair that is blonde or near white that a lot of tryptophan was measured in it.”

mrdannyg3

I can go through old school pictures of when I was a kid and see just about the time that I became hypothyroid. Somewhere around age 10. My hair was coarse, dry, and I always had dandruff. Seems not too much has changed lol. And I was the third shortest in my class with an easy ability to put on weight. Anyways, I'm not at all surprised that I got my first gray at 22 if gray hair is a reflection of hypothyroidism.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I can go through old school pictures of when I was a kid and see just about the time that I became hypothyroid. Somewhere around age 10. My hair was coarse, dry, and I always had dandruff. Seems not too much has changed lol. And I was the third shortest in my class with an easy ability to put on weight. Anyways, I'm not at all surprised that I got my first gray at 22 if gray hair is a reflection of hypothyroidism.
Wow. What do you think was happening at ten years old to make you hypothyroid? Where are you at now? Are you “Peating”, and are you still having issues?

Mossy

View attachment 41333

This is one of my glorious beard hairs. The left side is the root, the right side is the tip. Is there any possibility that this *might* be a white hair turning back to dark brown? Or is it another brown hair turning white? I've started taking nettle, b1, and taurine together. So I am hoping some hairs might grow back brown.
I have this with my beard hair as well. It goes in cycles. Just when I think, oh, that's it, I'm going majorly gray now in the beard, I'll see these dark roots. Purely anecdotal, but it does seem when I eat liver, oysters, and dark chocolate, I get less gray. Though, I believe the liver and oysters are the most important; in that order. I don't believe the dark chocolate on its own is that effective. I've stopped eating liver and oysters for a few months now and my beard is the grayest it's ever been.

I've tried Nettle Root Extract, but I get a bad reaction from it. I'm going to try it in a tea form and see if I can stomach it. I realize @Rinse & rePeat is using the leaf, but somewhere along the line I read the root is better for men's health; but, that's not to say that the leaf is not better for gray.

mrdannyg3

Wow. What do you think was happening at ten years old to make you hypothyroid? Where are you at now? Are you “Peating”, and are you still having issues?
I didn't have the best upbringing and my dad has been hypothyroid/sick most of his life, I think I got something hereditary from him. It's interesting, we grayed at exactly the same age and easily put on weight. I'm so-so now, I can get temps and pulse up but my sleep has been such a conundrum for me. I simply don't get a sleepy signal at 10-11 like most everyone else. Also following your sleep thread, glad you fixed yours.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have this with my beard hair as well. It goes in cycles. Just when I think, oh, that's it, I'm going majorly gray now in the beard, I'll see these dark roots. Purely anecdotal, but it does seem when I eat liver, oysters, and dark chocolate, I get less gray. Though, I believe the liver and oysters are the most important; in that order. I don't believe the dark chocolate on its own is that effective. I've stopped eating liver and oysters for a few months now and my beard is the grayest it's ever been.

I've tried Nettle Root Extract, but I get a bad reaction from it. I'm going to try it in a tea form and see if I can stomach it. I realize @Rinse & rePeat is using the leaf, but somewhere along the line I read the root is better for men's health; but, that's not to say that the leaf is not better for gray.
Consistency is not only key with what you are adding in like the liver and oysters, but for me it was also what I took out, like the excess tryptophan from meat and phosphorus from the grains.

mrdannyg3

I have a strong hunch that the tryptophan notion is correct, as I have shown seretonin-dominant symptoms for years and I grayed fast. As well as just low thyroid. I also believe that it probably takes a high level of commitment to reverse the grey like home-cooked meals that are grain-free and light on tryptophan. For me personally, it has been very difficult reversing the effects of years of hypothyroidism. It's so easy to get take-out food after a stressful day of work. Which I have done countless times. Though I try to choose food low in pufa and lighter on starch.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I have a strong hunch that the tryptophan notion is correct, as I have shown seretonin-dominant symptoms for years and I grayed fast. As well as just low thyroid. I also believe that it probably takes a high level of commitment to reverse the grey like home-cooked meals that are grain-free and light on tryptophan. For me personally, it has been very difficult reversing the effects of years of hypothyroidism. It's so easy to get take-out food after a stressful day of work. Which I have done countless times. Though I try to choose food low in pufa and lighter on starch.
I have been working on it for years and this past 6 months I really saw a difference, upping the liver and lowering my meat consumption, because I still eat some starch. Gray hair that I had in other places is completely gone and has thickened in with light brown hair. All of the stiff gray stuff is complete gone. I have not been taking nettle this past 6 months either, so it has been completely from diet. Maybe my hormones can be factoring in too, because my weight isn’t yo-yoing anymore and I am sleeping really good finally too.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The production of more eumelanin can make your hair darker, which could make your hair harder to lift or more resistant. Less eumelanin will make it lighter and easier to lift. The production of pheomelanin will increase the red shades in your hair, giving warmer tones. Without these melanins, hair can go grey."’

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“So, why doesn’t pigment production turn back on?

At the end of each hair cycle, some pigment-producing melanocytes become damaged and die. If the melanocyte stem cell reservoir at the top of the hair follicle can replenish the bulb, this keeps pigment production going. But when the reservoir of stem cells is exhausted, pigment production stops and the hair turns grey.

Scientists have long known that in order to prevent hair from going grey they would need to either prolong the life of the melanocytes in the hair bulb – by protecting them from injury – or expand the melanocyte stem cell reservoir in the upper or top region of the hair follicle so they continue to replace lost pigment cells.

A group of French scientists have identified a new series of agents that protect hair follicle melanocytes from damage at the end of the hair cycle. This enables pigment production to restart as soon as the next hair cycle begins.

The agents work by mimicking the action of an enzyme called DOPAchrome tautomerase. This enzyme is the naturally occurring antioxidant in the hair bulb that protects melanocytes from oxidative damage. By duplicating the effects of DOPAchrome tautomerase, melanocyte metabolism and survival improves.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“We know hormones affect many processes in our bodies from reproduction to mood to weight. But hormones can also cause hair changes. A shift in the balance of hormones can lead to various differences in your hair.

HOW DO HORMONES AFFECT YOUR HAIR?

Hormones can affect your hair in a variety of ways. Occasionally, such as during pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations may have a positive effect on the hair.
But in most cases, hormonal changes lead to unwanted changes to your hair. For instance, hormonal imbalances, such as a decrease in estrogen, may lead to hair loss. Too much testosterone can also lead to thinning hair on your head, but increased facial hair.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“After controlling for covariates, the mean plasma total testosterone level was about 14% higher in women who had used hair dyes for 10 or more years than that among women who had never used them (P for trend = 0.02). A similar association was observed when the type of hair dye was restricted to permanent hair dyes. A higher frequency of applying non-permanent hair dyes was marginally significantly associated with higher total and free estradiol levels.
Data suggest that long-term use of hair dyes may be associated with an increase in circulating testosterone levels. As this is, to our knowledge, the first study examining the association between hair dye use and sex hormone levels, replication of the results is required.”

Inaut

i started getting noticeable grey hair when I started supplementing with zinc. Now I'm only going to get it from food.