Scientists Find Skin Cells At The Root Of Balding, Gray Hair

brix

Scientists find skin cells at the root of balding, gray hair: May 2017 News Releases - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

"
The researchers found that a protein called KROX20, more commonly associated with nerve development, in this case turns on in skin cells that become the hair shaft. These hair precursor, or progenitor, cells then produce a protein called stem cell factor (SCF) that the researchers showed is essential for hair pigmentation.

When they deleted the SCF gene in the hair progenitor cells in mouse models, the animal’s hair turned white. When they deleted the KROX20-producing cells, no hair grew and the mice became bald, according to the study."

Interesting. The article states they are working on a topical.

Nokoni

Scientists find skin cells at the root of balding, gray hair: May 2017 News Releases - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

"
The researchers found that a protein called KROX20, more commonly associated with nerve development, in this case turns on in skin cells that become the hair shaft. These hair precursor, or progenitor, cells then produce a protein called stem cell factor (SCF) that the researchers showed is essential for hair pigmentation.

When they deleted the SCF gene in the hair progenitor cells in mouse models, the animal’s hair turned white. When they deleted the KROX20-producing cells, no hair grew and the mice became bald, according to the study."

Interesting. The article states they are working on a topical.
Very interesting study. I'm surprised this didn't get more comment since there are lots of folks here trying to hack hair loss and graying. It appears that KROX20 is at the root of both problems and so any hacking efforts maybe need to take that into account.

Anyway, they moved the article. It's now here:
Scientists find skin cells at the root of balding, gray hair

And the full published study (also linked in the article) is here:
http://genesdev.cshlp.org/content/early/2017/05/02/gad.298703.117.full.pdf

AnnSimpson

That's an interesting study indeed. I've been hiding my grayness with henna, root concealer and some other products which I decided to try reading this article. I hope these studies will progress further.

AlexanderCPPR

Alright guys, interesting study , amazing ! any update of the status so far ?

where have they come up to ? (hope not big pharma stepped in to eat another study with money and the public to get nothing)

GorillaHead

Alright guys, interesting study , amazing ! any update of the status so far ?

where have they come up to ? (hope not big pharma stepped in to eat another study with money and the public to get nothing)
This is probably not related to androgenic alopecia. The most common form of hairloss. Hair grows in androgenic alopecia. But it’s weak and thin and wispy.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals