The Perfect Carb Source(s)

Ron J

Hello everyone
I'm wondering what the closest to prefect carb source is. It doesn't have to be just one, it could be a combination of two or more to meet the following:
-No plant source vitamin A
-Has no fructose or some fructose(20% or less)
-High vitamin and mineral content.
-No citric acid or low citric acid.
-Has some fiber, but it's not mandatory.
-No anti-androgenic effect, or net positive androgenic effects.
-It's not a gut irritant, or at least average among the best carb sources Ray Peat recommended.
-If it has the potential of being allergenic, the positives must outweigh the negative.
-If it's a goitrogen, or has too much serotonin, the positives must outweigh those negatives.
-Digests easily to prevent gut bacteria/endotoxin.
Hopefully it exists.

Runenight201

Just eat a lot of different ones and see which one make you feel best.

That list looks like orthorexia in word format

lampofred

Hello everyone
I'm wondering what the closest to prefect carb source is. It doesn't have to be just one, it could be a combination of two or more to meet the following:
-It's not a gut irritant, or at least average among the best carb sources Ray Peat recommended.
-If it has the potential of being allergenic, the positives must outweigh the negative.
-If it's a goitrogen, or has too much serotonin, the positives must outweigh those negatives.
Hopefully it exists.

I think you're looking for either well-cooked potatoes or white rice accompanied with a lot of saturated fat. Potatoes will have much more in the way of vitamins and minerals than rice, and rice in the US has to be fortified with iron, but both are decent non-fructose-containing carb sources according to Peat. In fact, Peat says potatoes are such a good food that you can live on only potatoes for months.

schultz

OJ?

It doesn't hit all of those but it hits a bunch. I like the effect OJ has on preventing endotoxin (see here). It's a reasonable source of vitamins and minerals, and it also compliments milk.

Not sure why you put that a good carb source should have low or no fructose? Ray often says good things about fructose and it has many unique benefits.

Cherimoya is a pretty darn good carb source as well.

OP
R

Ron J

@Runenight201 That's fine too, but I'd like to know if I'm missing out on something. And perhaps someone has found other alternatives to the typical orange juice and potatoes recommendation.
@lampofred Potatoes have a great nutritional profile, but I'm not sure how high it spikes insulin. And I think someone mentioned some anti-androgenic effects from potatoes(I think it may have been Travis.)
@schultz I don't plan to eliminate fructose, but depending on carb source, I may add other carbs that contain fructose; likely a moderate amount of OJ. I know Ray Peat's stance on fructose, but I'd like to play it safe and limit the amount. A low fat diet for a male could easily require 500g+of total carbs. If 1/3 of that is fructose, that's 150g of fructose.

theLaw

There's really nothing comparable to fresh OJ unless you have access to some very exotic fruits.

OJ and Milk are nearly impossible to replace in terms of nutrition.

michael94

I read this as crab heh...
Man, what a life it is where we are just looking for „food“ that doesnt have some major drawback... or make us feel like crap.... I guess that is on us mostly ... There was a time when I loved cooking and the culinary world now it is nauseating to think about when one has to tiptoe every meal like a minefield.

Meh Im just talking about myself ignore my use of „us“ ..I like wheat personally even straight gluten like seitan for protein and predigested lactose as a carb source.

OP
R

Ron J

@michael94
If I'm going to pay for food, I rather pay for something that's going to improve my health. If the soil degradation and environmental pollution aren't exaggerations, I'd have to compensate with the best food I can get within my caloric dv and budget.

jitsmonkey

The perfect carb source is the one you
a. can access (both locale and cost)
b. tolerate well
c. will eat as a staple
d. there are many... all of which are discussed here repeatedly
oj, various fruits, sugar, honey, maple syrup, potatoes, etc...
I personally use OJ in season and dates when out of season
but not everyone responds favorably or has access to either.
Especially in winter peeled boiled potatoes are a staple carb.

for someone on a tight budget who tolerates starch potato is probably #1

@theLaw is spot on re: the nutritional competence of milk and oj.

again if cost is an issue milk and potatoes is by far the most nutrition for the least amount of money. But again tolerance is a factor as well.

Runenight201

I read this as crab heh...
Man, what a life it is where we are just looking for „food“ that doesnt have some major drawback... or make us feel like crap.... I guess that is on us mostly ... There was a time when I loved cooking and the culinary world now it is nauseating to think about when one has to tiptoe every meal like a minefield.

Meh Im just talking about myself ignore my use of „us“ ..I like wheat personally even straight gluten like seitan for protein and predigested lactose as a carb source.

I’ve introduced wheat into my regular rotation of starches and it’s only helped my energy, sleep, and mood. I personally think our body’s appetite is the best system for gearing health towards the right direction, so long as it’s appropriately combined with a state of reflection pre and post meal in regards to noting physiological responses to the food consumed

fradon

Hello everyone
Hopefully it exists.

organic sourdough rye bread

OP
R

Ron J

organic sourdough rye bread
It seems to have a solid nutritional profile, but high in PUFA. I wasn't expecting high PUFA from carb sources, so I didn't add that to the list.
Not sure about gluten, even after the process to make sourdough from it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals