The Only Affordable Coconut Oil Is Part Hydrogenated-so Is It Safe?

freal

It just came to my mind that you cant hydrogenate saturated fat?? So you can only hydrogenate the rest 8% of the fat (92% is saturated). Is that right??

So those supermarket block of coconut oit that are sold like butter are at most 4% hydrogenated??? I they were fully hydrogenated it would be hard as canddle plastic, so I presume only half of it is. Safe, mostly safe or not safe?

Yes or no?

OP
F

freal

WTF, I bought and put it outside and it was like 30°C (85°F) plus hot sun and it didnt melt. That aint good.

natedawggh

freal said:
WTF, I bought and put it outside and it was like 30°C (85°F) plus hot sun and it didnt melt. That aint good.

LOL no that's not good. I'm not sure how or why they do that...

But if you are concerned about cost, get online and buy a giant tub of good oil. It will last you a REALLY long time and cost per ounce will be less since you're buying a bigger amount.

SaltGirl

However, the basic hardening process, hydrogenation of the oils, has been found to make the oils less likely to cause cancer. If I had to choose between eating ordinary corn oil or corn oil that was 100% saturated, to make a hard margarine, I would choose the hard margarine, because it resists oxidation, isn't suppressive to the thyroid gland, and doesn't cause cancer.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/un ... oils.shtml

I get perfectly healthy, non hydrogenated coconut oil from a site called Tropical Traditions. They have different kinds...virgin, expeller pressed. The one labeled 100% pure is the best price, especially in 5 gallon tubs. I buy the tubs on free shipping days.

Richiebogie

Desiccated coconut is quite cheap and is 2/3 oil. I blend it with orange juice, mango, banana, berries and gelatin powder.

Travis

I can buy whole coconuts for $1.39. They are good, but take a bit of work. Grated (microplane) coconut is really good on steamed kale because it liquefies the oil.

Hydrogenated oils have three drawbacks:
1) They are no longer raw
2) The extemely high temperatures used isomerizes some fatty acids to the trans-form. Obviously this will less of an issue for coconut oil compared to more unsaturated oils.
3) Traces of the nickel catalyst can be found in the oil. The average trace Ni content is around 130ppb.
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/26204/PDF

Google " the truth about raw dried coconut" . I am not promoting this organization. I have simply used their product for many many years and believe they are tops in the field. I haven't seen any other company be as descriptive and scientifically expressive of their products. Raw isn't always best, and they explain why.

tankasnowgod

Even if you fully hydrogenate Coconut Oil, it should remain about the same consistency. It's softer and has a lower melting point than other fully saturated oils would have, due to the MCTs. I once had a bottle of MCT oil I kept in the fridge for months, and it never solidified.

As for Trans Fats, it's only PUFA that could become Trans Fats, not MUFA. MUFA will either fully saturate, or remain the same. This means HCO would contain a maximum level of 2% Trans Fats, likely lower. I'm less convinced than even that Trans Fats are much of a problem, they are more stable than other unsaturated forms, and act more like SFAs.

Travis does bring up good concerns about this process. I don't know how big a deal it is that HCO "isn't raw." It should be even more stable than Coconut Oil.

Travis

On second thought, I don't it really matters if coconut oil is raw or not. Proteins can lose their tertiary structure and enzymatic function with relatively low heat (~120°); a cooked seed will not sprout. Saturated fatty acids however, can withstand temperatures nearly up until their combustion point.

I think it matters with most oils though, because of the unsaturated bonds. I would feel much better about consuming raw olive oil than cooked olive oil.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals