Hydrogenated Coconut Oil

EndAllDisease

RP said he would prefer to eat hydrogenated oils than drink PUFAs. They are bad for the heart, but aren't as toxic as PUFAs are. Coconut oil doesn't have a lot of fats that can still be hydrogenated, so the trans fat content of hydrogenated coconut oil isn't as high as that of other hydrogenated oils. It has the benefit of removing the remainder of the PUFAs from coconut oil, but I don't know whether the adverse effects of the trans fat would outweigh the positives of that. I would be curious to what RP's opinion is on this.

I emailed Ray about this yesterday and I hope he doesn't mind me reposting a part of it. For the benefit of all...
"There’s now a place on the internet that retails hydrogenated coconut oil, which is what I use (zero pufa and mufa)."

jaguar43

I emailed Ray about this yesterday and I hope he doesn't mind me reposting a part of it. For the benefit of all...

I am interested in it also.

And as long as the preservatives in the food were not added by the labeler, they can say “no preservatives,” which is short for “no preservatives added (by us).” Of course, the ingredients used to make the food under the label are usually fully preserved. So maybe “partially hydrogenated” can be shortened to “hydrogenated” and “fully hydrogenated” does not really mean 100% under FDA labeling regulations.

TYJys8M.gif

Sheik

I'm confused. Why, when there is excellent coconut oil available that isn't hydrogenated...
From what I've gathered partial hydrogenation is good and full hydrogenation is better because hydrogenation saturates the unsaturated fat in the coconut oil. Not 100% certain.

EndAllDisease

jaguar43

schultz

WHC was the best source I could find but would love to know Ray's source. WHC sends a little batch analysis with an iodine value which I thought was cool. The oil I received has an iodine value of 0.9, which is on par with MCT oil. Regular coconut oil has an iodine value of around 8.

From what I've gathered partial hydrogenation is good and full hydrogenation is better because hydrogenation saturates the unsaturated fat in the coconut oil. Not 100% certain.
It just doesn't make sense to me. Just like the fear of egg whites- if we eat the whole egg, it's not an issue. Could it, o could it be, our messing with coconut oil is not the best thing to do? Maybe the Creator knew what he was doing, just like with the egg? Problem comes in, when the chicken isn't fed its natural diet. THAT is a game changer. And cost will cloud the issue. You have to be willing to pay the price for what's best. It's worth it in the long run. Less doctor bills...oops, we were wrong. I'm sorry, I'm sure my faith may seem it clouds my view. I think it informs it. No man is intelligent enough to know all all the variables, including Peat, Robbins, and so many other great people. Personally, there is great peace in knowing coconuts aren't evolving, or that they are some cosmic accident we must fix, and that we can trust the wisdom of the Creator.

Sheik

It just doesn't make sense to me. Just like the fear of egg whites- if we eat the whole egg, it's not an issue. Could it, o could it be, our messing with coconut oil is not the best thing to do? Maybe the Creator knew what he was doing, just like with the egg? Problem comes in, when the chicken isn't fed its natural diet. THAT is a game changer. And cost will cloud the issue. You have to be willing to pay the price for what's best. It's worth it in the long run. Less doctor bills...oops, we were wrong. I'm sorry, I'm sure my faith may seem it clouds my view. I think it informs it. No man is intelligent enough to know all all the variables, including Peat, Robbins, and so many other great people. Personally, there is great peace in knowing coconuts aren't evolving, or that they are some cosmic accident we must fix, and that we can trust the wisdom of the Creator.
Maybe the Creator knew what he was doing when he made such problems as well. Cottonseed oil is as natural as coconut oil, isn't it? Or look at walnut oil. These things are crazy high in PUFA. I think that trusting your own judgment, when you're right, IS trusting the wisdom of the Creator. Maybe coconut oil is fine the way it is, I don't know.

Maybe the Creator knew what he was doing when he made such problems as well. Cottonseed oil is as natural as coconut oil, isn't it? Or look at walnut oil. These things are crazy high in PUFA. I think that trusting your own judgment, when you're right, IS trusting the wisdom of the Creator. Maybe coconut oil is fine the way it is, I don't know.

I thought it was troll, but yikes, 300+ messages...

Travis

You can paint with Walntut Oil! Here is chart indirectly showing PUFA by the Iodine Value. The Iodine value measures Unsaturated Bonds by binding Iodine. Saturated hydrocarbons will not react with Iodine since there are no free electrons.
https://oilpalmblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/iv-oils.png

Notice how coconut wins by a long shot!
And linseed loses.
Linseed is the most common oil paint base. Linseed oil oxidizes so fast that it has been known to spontaneously combust.

FYI: Linseed Oil is the same thing as Flaxseed Oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals