Coconut Oil: Virgin Vs Refined(Hydrogenated) - My Experience

I've been using cold pressed virgin coconut oil for a while. It was pretty good, but expensive, so a few days ago I found this super-cheap coconut oil which still claimed to be cold-pressed, but likely refined or hydrogenated.

Whatever, I thought, can't be that bad, so I bought 2 kilograms (!) of the cheap stuff.

Now, normally I'd eat a teaspoon of CO here and there with my meals, particularly if I thought they had PUFA in them. Well, I tried eating this cheap, refined coconut oil now...

It tastes absolutely vile. They claim it's odorless and tasteless - it's not. It tastes, basically, like chemically-treated fat. Like it was bleached with something ... hexane? I don't know, but it's awful.

I am definitely not going to be eating this freely. I am only going to use this for cooking I suppose. Which is bad because I have like several months worth of the stuff.

So the hydrogenated CO may be better regarding PUFA content and what not, but is absolutely disgusting and I can barely stomach it. I will just buy a kilogram of virgin CO for the same price that I paid for two kilo's of this in the future.

Xisca

Vile taste means poisoning! I would not eat it nor disguise the taste to eat it!
It was refined with chemicals I suppose... I would not even put it on my skin!

BTW, I am almost sure the COil RP recommands is desodorised and not chemically refined.
I definitely can eat better the tasteless one, and it keeps better. The smelly one is good for people who love coconut, and I sure react to something in it, and removing the odour is enough to remove what I react to.

Dave Clark

On another similar thread about hydrogenated oil, wasn't there a video showing the use of hexane in hydrogenating the oil?

Herbie

Some are refined by passing it through charcoal and diatomaceous earth which is the type you want.

I am loyal to Melrose refined coconut oil as it doesn't have a taste and comes in a glass jar.

I tried another coconut oil which didn't say refined but said low aroma and it smelled and tasted bad.

OP
MyUsernameHere
Oh well. That's what you get for going for the cheapest stuff. I will keep it around for cooking, and maybe topical uses.

Back to the extra virgin for eating on a regular basis though. Can't stomach this refined stuff.

Queequeg

refined and hydrogenated are two different things. Ray recommends the refined because it removes all the coconut leftover junk that may cause allergies if eaten for a longtime. The hydrogenated gets rid of the remaining PUFAs and can be done without hexane. I use an organic refined brand and have no problems. Maybe you just got a bad batch and could try another brand. I think the key takeaway is avoid "super cheap" food.

Elysium

BTW, I am almost sure the COil RP recommands is desodorised and not chemically refined.

The "almost" saves the day.
Of course he recommends refined, which is a chemical process.

This forum is sometimes like the game Telephone, also known as Chinese Whisper. Clearly most people participating in this thread here have no idea about the difference between hydrogenation and refinement, or that there even is a difference. But it doesn't stop them from enthusiastically dispensing their advice without hesitation. Everyone's a biochemist here, it seems.

Djukami

Everyone's a biochemist here, it seems.
I have to agree with you. And I am not talking about only this situation in particular, but overall. There are some people here that don't know anything, but talk like they know everything. I really don't understand it, because in my case, I just feel the opposite. I feel like I know less and less every single day. It's true, what Matt Stone once said: "If you think you know everything about Health and Nutrition, you haven't study enough." It really summarizes what I feel.
The problem is they seem to not be aware how dangerous it can be for people who are desperate to try anything. Good sense is really important sometimes.

Djukami

I've been using cold pressed virgin coconut oil for a while. It was pretty good, but expensive, so a few days ago I found this super-cheap coconut oil which still claimed to be cold-pressed, but likely refined or hydrogenated.

Whatever, I thought, can't be that bad, so I bought 2 kilograms (!) of the cheap stuff.

Now, normally I'd eat a teaspoon of CO here and there with my meals, particularly if I thought they had PUFA in them. Well, I tried eating this cheap, refined coconut oil now...

It tastes absolutely vile. They claim it's odorless and tasteless - it's not. It tastes, basically, like chemically-treated fat. Like it was bleached with something ... hexane? I don't know, but it's awful.

I am definitely not going to be eating this freely. I am only going to use this for cooking I suppose. Which is bad because I have like several months worth of the stuff.

So the hydrogenated CO may be better regarding PUFA content and what not, but is absolutely disgusting and I can barely stomach it. I will just buy a kilogram of virgin CO for the same price that I paid for two kilo's of this in the future.
Quality is really important I would say. If it is super cheap, it is a case to raise your eyebrow.
I have bought an organic cold-pressed refined coconut oil. I don't know what was the process behind it, but I have to say mine is completely tasteless and odorless (comparing to VCO). I guess this is how it is supposed to be right? I've only tried one brand though.

If you have issues with money, I really feel you. Damn, getting real good quality products is a pain in the **** :(

Ray recommends the refined because it removes all the coconut leftover junk that may cause allergies if eaten for a longtime.
Hmm, longtime makes it hard to conclude something. But have you ever experienced some sort of allergic reaction to VCO? Or anyone here has already experienced it?

Last edited:

Queequeg

Hmm, longtime makes it hard to conclude something. But have you ever experienced some sort of allergic reaction to VCO? Or anyone here has already experienced it?
I have no idea, just re-Peating.

Xisca

1) Well, I am still almost sure that I read/heard an interview from Peat, and he said something else than refined! He talks in several audio about it, so his words are not clones...
I was not talking about my personal belief there!
I try to remember...

2) No oil I have ever seen is at the same time cold-pressed and refined, because it is refined with heat, ruining the cold pressed method.

3) And nobody mention that cold pressed coconut oil exists in 2 forms:
- smelly and tasty
- neutral

The neutral form does remove things that can make one react, and I do feel a difference between the 2, I digest better the one that is neutral, and it is not refined. The quantity I can eat is different, and I can feel a little nauseous with the one that tastes and smell coconut. I when they remove the smell, they do remove what is not oil, so maybe what you call junk parts....

In Europe, the refined coconut oil I have seen is for cosmetic use....

Last edited:

managing

I recall reading that Peat uses this one, and I've been happily using it for many years:

LouAna 100% Pure Coconut Oil

You will see that it is not hydrogenated. I wouldn't buy hydrogenated.

The refinement done typically, the refinement that peat recommends, is filtration. Yes, simple mechanical filtration to remove the solids. Those are what smell and taste of coconut. I don't mind that smell and taste, but OTOH, some foods just don't go well with coconut. Some people are allergic. I'm not, but again, filtered and odorless is more versatile.

By the way. Its cheap. In the US its available at Walmart and on Amazon.

To the OP: What is the bad one you bought?

Queequeg

here is a good summary of how CO is made
Coconut oil - Wikipedia

I think you want something labeled as organic since some solvents are used. Here it says refined is made by a heated hydraulic press. Since I mostly cook with mine I don't think the heat hurts it anymore than I do.

managing

here is a good summary of how CO is made
Coconut oil - Wikipedia

I think you want something labeled as organic since some solvents are used. Here it says refined is made by a heated hydraulic press. Since I mostly cook with mine I don't think the heat hurts it anymore than I do.
You bring up a good point about organic and i have no reason to believe that Louana uses good processes (other than not hydrogenating). What brand do you use?

Queequeg

You bring up a good point about organic and i have no reason to believe that Louana uses good processes (other than not hydrogenating). What brand do you use?
Its all very confusing but I have been using Nutiva, first organic virgin then switched to organic refined.
I am starting to wonder if the extra refining step is worth it though. Is the risk of developing allergies to virgin coconut oil any worse than for any other food. Maybe we are losing some important nutrients in the refining.
Amazon.com : Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, Virgin, 54 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Amazon.com : Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, Refined, 54 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food

michael94

Its all very confusing but I have been using Nutiva, first organic virgin then switched to organic refined.
I am starting to wonder if the extra refining step is worth it though. Is the risk of developing allergies to virgin coconut oil any worse than for any other food. Maybe we are losing some important nutrients in the refining.
Amazon.com : Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, Virgin, 54 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Amazon.com : Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil, Refined, 54 Ounce : Grocery & Gourmet Food
which one tastes better to you

managing

Thanks. That's a decent price too. For me the big thing with the processed is the taste and aroma. I am pretty open minded about flavors and Ilike coconut. But coconut flavored steak (as only one example) is really not right. Even bigger for me is that my wife and daughter don't like coconut and only will use the flavorless/odorless refined CO.

Queequeg

Queequeg

Thanks. That's a decent price too. For me the big thing with the processed is the taste and aroma. I am pretty open minded about flavors and Ilike coconut. But coconut flavored steak (as only one example) is really not right. Even bigger for me is that my wife and daughter don't like coconut and only will use the flavorless/odorless refined CO.
gotta keep the ladies happy

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals