Coconut Oil Increases Endotoxin Absorption?

mmb82

Just curious if anyone has heard this before? The claim is that, due to the antimicrobial properties of coconut/MCT oil, more lipopolysaccharides (LPS) are released when you ingest coconut oil. Further, since coconut oil and LPS both contain fatty acids, the LPS, along with the lipids in the coconut oil, are pulled into the circulatory system when your body goes to absorb the dietary fat from the coconut oil. Apparently there are studies showing that, of all the fats, coconut oil has the most endotoxic effect.

Link to the video describing this is embedded here.

schultz

This has been debated on the forum quite a bit.

My very general understanding is that it may indeed increase endotoxin absorption but saturated fat increases liver excretion. Overall I think saturated fat has a net protective effect against endotoxin. Studies by Nanji, et al, show butter to be protective against liver problems in alcoholics.

Forum member @CLASH has some nice posts on saturated fat and endotoxin.

Here are a few studies as well.

Mito

“As some might know, saturated fat increases the absorption of endotoxins. Saturated fat carrying endotoxins also activates TLR4, which would lead to an increase in insulin resistance, inflammation, etc. However, despite the fact that saturated fat does all this, it does not increase inflammation or insulin resistance, but in the contrary, it reduces inflammation.”

Mito

Tarmander

I have not seen studies on this...but anecdotally I have seen many people who had more food allergies following a lot of coconut oil consumption.

CLASH

The issues with excess saturated fat consumption in my experience/ opinion are related to a metabolic bottle neck at the liver and or a change in bile acid composition inducing issues in the colon.

I dont think the mechanism of saturated fats increasing endotoxin absorption are such an issue as once endotoxin is bound to saturated fats its largely inactive.

Dr. B

I have not seen studies on this...but anecdotally I have seen many people who had more food allergies following a lot of coconut oil consumption.
This has been debated on the forum quite a bit.

My very general understanding is that it may indeed increase endotoxin absorption but saturated fat increases liver excretion. Overall I think saturated fat has a net protective effect against endotoxin. Studies by Nanji, et al, show butter to be protective against liver problems in alcoholics.

Forum member @CLASH has some nice posts on saturated fat and endotoxin.

Here are a few studies as well.

Ray Peat and Danny Roddy both prefer olive oil in their carrot salad Ray said even hydrogenated coconut oil still has allergens in it. its not just for taste, the olive oil carrot salad somehow helps their digestion noticeably more, they suspect its the allergens in the coconut oil, i think when Ray uses the term allergens its not like peanut allergies he is talking about inflammatory substances in certain foods like he's said lots of positive things about coconut oil and potato but at the same time says they're allergenic. it is notable that even people with high metabolic rates like danny and ray still have some sort of sensitivity to coconut oil...