Concerns About Coconut Oil And DHT

Waynish

I understand that coconut oil is a very healthy substance with it's saturated fats, ketogenic properties and antimicrobial properties. I'm really interested in beginning to get a couple of tablespoons of it throughout the day, however, I have a concern. The only thing keeping me from consuming any is a study I read a while back discussing the inhibitory properties of lauric acid (from coconut oil) on 5-alpha reductase, the enzyme that turns testosterone into the more active Dihydrotestosterone. I'm 16 so I know my hormonal system is quite different from the majority of the people on this forum. I don't want to mess with my hormonal levels at this age as I'm concerned about permanent effects resulting from hormonal imbalances. I'm hesitant to consume a substance which may lower my dht levels. Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? Will taking coconut oil decrease the dht by a significant amount, or do the positive effects outweigh the slight hormonal effects? Thanks!

I don't think that adding 2tablespoons of coconut oil per day to a diet that isn't deficient in animal proteins and fats would have any negative effect on your hormonal profile. A glance at epidemiological studies is enough to discern this, I think.

Arrade

As someone who can't take any androgens at all I felt an anti-androgen effect of coconut oil massage on the scalp.
I'm very sensitive to any shift in dht and I didn't come up with the idea until after application.

A note to this however: Oils penetrate the dermis easily so the oil was going straight to my blood stream. No idea about ingestion.
"Penetration enhancing effects of selected natural oils utilized in topical dosage forms. - PubMed - NCBI"
-Natural oils possess penetration enhancing effects

Motorneuron

In summary, can coconut oil (also smeared in the genitals) have a negative effect on DHT?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals