Temperature Reset à La Steve Richfield

JohnA

This thread was fun to read. So what's the verdict? Are Steve Richfield's methods effective?

Finding Steve’s work has been life changing for me. In my opinion, the biggest gap in the work of Ray Peat and all the Ray Peat inspired writers I follow (Matt Stone, Danny Roddy, Kate Deering, Sean Bissell) is that they note the critical importance of normal body temperature, but view it as just a lagging indicator. In other words: “fix your metabolism via diet and other interventions, and once it’s fixed, you’ll be able to tell because your temperature is higher.” Steve introduced me to the idea that mechanically raising your body temperature creates a virtuous cycle that improves your digestion, immunity, mood, hormones, etc. and makes all ensuing interventions more likely to succeed and gives you more margin for error.

My summer work experience cemented my beliefs. My job was super stressful and I averaged about 5 hours of sleep a night for multiple months. Most of my meals were prepared –they were full of PUFAs and I was probably only eating ~2,000 calories a day. I accepted that diet and sleep were out of my control and focused on the things I could influence: 1) staying warm by always wearing lots of layers and following the morning warm-up routine I posted earlier in this thread, 2) avoiding intense exercise to not add additional stress to my system, and 3) taking Estroban (A,D, E, K) daily. Despite these tough conditions, I stayed pretty healthy – solid hair growth; surprisingly good energy, mood, and mental capacity given how little I was sleeping; strong sex drive; no colds or flus; unintentionally lost weight; etc.

I’ve been super quiet on the forums the last few months since this protocol has helped me address the low metabolism issues that arose after years of Paleo and then veganism (low temps, slightly thinning hair, low energy). In my opinion, anyone hoping to address these typical low metabolism symptoms should focus on getting and keeping their temps up through mechanical means while simultaneously exploring diet/supplement interventions.

JohnA

I've been working spasmodically resetting my temp for a few weeks. today is the first day I was able to hold my temp near 98.6 for more than 45 minutes. Prior to that about 20 min was the longest I was able to hold near 98.6. I did a number of things different than prior days
1. use of polypropylene long johns for the first layer. the huge amount of sweat doesn't feel so bad with the polyprop underwear as the wet cotton feels.
2. A down jacket with hood over my wool hat and gloves to keep my temp up.
3. no NDT in the morning. only one drop of T3 ( tyronene) shortly after the shower. I wonder if the T4 in the NDT that I used on prior attempts helped to lower my temp. Steve Richfield uses T4 to lower temp of the T3 causes the temp to rise too much..
4. when my oral temp dropped after 15 or 20 minutes if i did some co2 breathing, my oral temp went up a little.

Some thoughts:
1. Having moisture wicking thermal base layers (non-cotton) is super important. Sitting in wet cotton will cool your body down tremendously.

2. Maybe try without the supplemental thyroid? I think this can have confusing effects in some people.

3. Really limit the liquid intake in the morning (even warm OJ and milk). The exception is high calorie coffee (coffee in milk with sugar/honey and coconut oil/other fat source), which I've found to be warming. After your first morning pee, aim to not have to pee again for the next 3-5 hours. If you have to pee sooner, drink less the following morning. For some reason, excess liquid consumption seems to be really cooling in hypometabolic bodies.
-As a side note, Dave Asprey claims his Bulletproof Coffee is helpful b/c it curbs appetite while letting you stay in ketosis... I think it's just that the caffeine, amount of calories, and the beverage's physcial warmth combine to create one of the most warming foods most people consume all day.

4. Steve argues that there's a risk that if you do too many failed resets, it eventually becomes impossible to force your body to reset back to 98.6. I think that risk is over-blown and I would encourage people not to worry about their temperatures not immediately jumping back to 98.6. If you've been spending most days at 97.4, raising your normal temp to even just 98.0 will improve your digestion and hormone production and make it more likely that other dietary interventions will work.

Hurricane07

[/QUOTE]4. Steve argues that there's a risk that if you do too many failed resets, it eventually becomes impossible to force your body to reset back to 98.6. I think that risk is over-blown and I would encourage people not to worry about their temperatures not immediately jumping back to 98.6. If you've been spending most days at 97.4, raising your normal temp to even just 98.0 will improve your digestion and hormone production and make it more likely that other dietary interventions will work.[/QUOTE]

Ok cool, Steve did mention that to me too initially (the risk of permanently messing up body temps through failed resets). After seeing my answers to his questionnaire he concluded based off of those answers that my temp should be relatively easy to reset as I can get my temp fairly quickly up to 98.6 with a hot shower, or a coffee with salt, sugar, milk and coconut oil and also fish head soup numbs it up fast. I also don't feel uncomfortable at that temp and notice how much clearer my mind seems. He did mention to wait til summer (I'm in Melbourne, Aus) and wait for a hot day to do the reset, he mentioned sitting in a hot car as a perfect way to manipulate temps to 98.6 and that it needs to be for up to 16hrs straight. So I haven't worried too much about it as it's still winter and I'm still doing some outdoor work which is making it hard to maintain temps at 98.6 (hence waiting for the warm months). Generally my temp ranges between 97.7 and 98.3.

artlange

@MyUsernameHere Did you correspond with Steve before starting your reset or did you just learn as much as possible on the info available and dive into it yourself? Has your body temp reset permanently?
I did email Steve for some advice after my first experiments of changing my body temperature were not successful, and he suggested an experiment where I would try to lower my temp with malatonin and night then raise it during the day. Like a pendulum, push it one way and then the other and get it swinging.

I am not yet successful in resetting my body temperature. After a few days of holding my temperature at 98.6 for only a few hours* and sweating profusely, I severely depleted my sodium stores and perhaps other electrolytes. I got a noticible swelling in my left ankle and foot and less swelling in my right foot and ankle. To reverse this swelling I added a "lot" of Morton's canning salt and sodium bicarbonate. In a day or two, the swelling went down. I stopped the reset process to evaluate what happened, and went on a trip to camp at a mountain lake and do some sailboat racing and relaxing.

I have continued to track my temperature. I wake up with a temperature of 97.7 to 98.0, and in a few minutes my temperature drops to near 97.4. My body really wants to be near 97.4 during the day, cooling to that temperature from about a few minutes to about 1/2 hour after waking up with a temperature of around 97.8 to 98.0 and then during the day staying at 97.4 all day. My hands are warm and I seldom feel cold, even though my body temperature is around 97.4 during the day.

After drinking hot or cold liquid, my oral temp is raised or lowered for a while, and soon reverts to my bodies favorite 97.4.

Today I took a nap for about 3/4 hour after a few hours of sailboat racing and driving to and from the lake. When I woke up, my body temp was 97.8 or so. I've been sitting under my 500W heat lamps and sweating slightly and now my oral temp is 97.4.

I don't know what to do regarding my body temperature, since my body has learned that 97.4 is what it wants to be, and it is unwilling to change without a huge fight and a lot of sweating which will deplete my electrolytes.

* I increased my body temperature by hot coffee. a hot shower and layers of warm clothes. After an hour or so, the clothes are soaking wet.

tara

Finding Steve’s work has been life changing for me. In my opinion, the biggest gap in the work of Ray Peat and all the Ray Peat inspired writers I follow (Matt Stone, Danny Roddy, Kate Deering, Sean Bissell) is that they note the critical importance of normal body temperature, but view it as just a lagging indicator. In other words: “fix your metabolism via diet and other interventions, and once it’s fixed, you’ll be able to tell because your temperature is higher.”
Peat has talked about how people may feel better from exercising because it raises their body temps, but that a hot bath will raise body temperature too, and that that can be beneficial. And he's talked about the importance of keeping the extremities warm, etc, because cold can cause them to create harmful substances.
In my opinion, anyone hoping to address these typical low metabolism symptoms should focus on getting and keeping their temps up through mechanical means while simultaneously exploring diet/supplement interventions.
This makes sense to me.

Finding Steve’s work has been life changing for me. In my opinion, the biggest gap in the work of Ray Peat and all the Ray Peat inspired writers I follow (Matt Stone, Danny Roddy, Kate Deering, Sean Bissell) is that they note the critical importance of normal body temperature, but view it as just a lagging indicator. In other words: “fix your metabolism via diet and other interventions, and once it’s fixed, you’ll be able to tell because your temperature is higher.” Steve introduced me to the idea that mechanically raising your body temperature creates a virtuous cycle that improves your digestion, immunity, mood, hormones, etc. and makes all ensuing interventions more likely to succeed and gives you more margin for error.

My summer work experience cemented my beliefs. My job was super stressful and I averaged about 5 hours of sleep a night for multiple months. Most of my meals were prepared –they were full of PUFAs and I was probably only eating ~2,000 calories a day. I accepted that diet and sleep were out of my control and focused on the things I could influence: 1) staying warm by always wearing lots of layers and following the morning warm-up routine I posted earlier in this thread, 2) avoiding intense exercise to not add additional stress to my system, and 3) taking Estroban (A,D, E, K) daily. Despite these tough conditions, I stayed pretty healthy – solid hair growth; surprisingly good energy, mood, and mental capacity given how little I was sleeping; strong sex drive; no colds or flus; unintentionally lost weight; etc.

I’ve been super quiet on the forums the last few months since this protocol has helped me address the low metabolism issues that arose after years of Paleo and then veganism (low temps, slightly thinning hair, low energy). In my opinion, anyone hoping to address these typical low metabolism symptoms should focus on getting and keeping their temps up through mechanical means while simultaneously exploring diet/supplement interventions.

Some thoughts:
1. Having moisture wicking thermal base layers (non-cotton) is super important. Sitting in wet cotton will cool your body down tremendously.

2. Maybe try without the supplemental thyroid? I think this can have confusing effects in some people.

3. Really limit the liquid intake in the morning (even warm OJ and milk). The exception is high calorie coffee (coffee in milk with sugar/honey and coconut oil/other fat source), which I've found to be warming. After your first morning pee, aim to not have to pee again for the next 3-5 hours. If you have to pee sooner, drink less the following morning. For some reason, excess liquid consumption seems to be really cooling in hypometabolic bodies.
-As a side note, Dave Asprey claims his Bulletproof Coffee is helpful b/c it curbs appetite while letting you stay in ketosis... I think it's just that the caffeine, amount of calories, and the beverage's physcial warmth combine to create one of the most warming foods most people consume all day.

4. Steve argues that there's a risk that if you do too many failed resets, it eventually becomes impossible to force your body to reset back to 98.6. I think that risk is over-blown and I would encourage people not to worry about their temperatures not immediately jumping back to 98.6. If you've been spending most days at 97.4, raising your normal temp to even just 98.0 will improve your digestion and hormone production and make it more likely that other dietary interventions will work.

Fascinating stuff!

I spoke of this in another thread, but my temps are now in the low 98s during the day, which they weren't before. I think the reset helped a lot.

I'm about .5 degrees low but that's way better than before.

I think PUFA depletion, ground 2-hour boiled white button mushrooms, magnesium and thyroid are doing the job.

And the reset helped a lot.

I find that I'm much more resistant to foods lowering my temps. I can drink milk and it will not lower my temps.

It's been pretty good. I also feel warmer now, all the time. I feel a little sweaty-warm. And I love it.

Xisca

Congratulations!

I think I'm about one half a degree Fahrenheit too low. But that isn't bad. I wake up in the low 97s which quickly rises to the low 98s. Probably 98.1 or 98.2 is my working temperature during the day now.

One thing that I find interesting is that I have a much lower desire to be cold and much more desire to be very warm. I don't even try it's just how I feel.

I tend to want to have the room warmer, and I tend to want to wear hats more and I tend to want to wear jackets. And even socks, which I never like wearing. Now I wear them often because I am more sensitive to my feet being colder than the rest of me.

I also don't really like wearing shorts…unless it is really really hot. Like in the 90s.

This wasn't the way I was before. There is no effort in it anymore. I just really enjoy being super warm.

Note this: when I was doing this earlier, I would be all sweaty and uncomfortable. Now I feel nicely warm but I'm not sweating and I'm still warm. I'm just not dripping sweat. And I don't need any heavy jacket either to stay warm anymore.

Also, I can drink milk and I can be just as warm afterwards. My temperatures are maintaining their own pretty well even when I eat colder things.

Hi all.

I'm new to this forum; I was directed here by a community member of ThyroidUK. I am of British origin and live in the South of Italy.
Contrary t0 my previous beliefs about Southern Europe, last Winter was my coldest ever, feeling cold 'right-to-the-bone'. That was when I didn't believe my low body temperature readings; I used to think that the gallium thermometers were faulty! My temperatures are normally between 35,5 and 36 celsius.

After a Summer of "normal" thyroid tests and taking my own temperature readings for myself (the doctor's here are not in the slightest interested in low body temperature), a light has come on inside me about Wilson's Syndrome. From research down this avenue, I stumbled upon Steve Richfield's work and have ordered some T3 to try his metabolic reset method. I've donated a small amount to his cause and written to him, but not had replies yet... I'm wondering whether he is still active...

There are a few aspects of the Reset that I am not clear about. I wonder whether any of you who have already carried out the Reset can help me?

1) Do I continue taking the 15mcg T3 doses every 20 mins for the full three hours, or only until my temperature reaches optimal (37 celsius)?
2)After the first hour of stable temperature (hours 3 to 4), do I take just one 12.5mcg dose of T4 to avoid adrenal shock?
3) On day 2 and for the next fortnight, do I just take the hot shower and wear warm clothes, or do I also need to take T3 to get and keep my temperature up?

Very much looking forward to hearing from some real-life people who have done the Reset... I'm feeling scared of passing another Winter feeling bitterly cold and never getting warm; I hope I can avoid it happening this year...

Warmly (sometime soon I hope)

Robin

Xisca

Hi there and welcome! I am another one who moved south, to the southern point of Europe, and I am cold too, because the air is humid near the sea, and because we never heat as well as in the north. As I moved from "Italy level" to more south, just to let you know this is useless to move again, lol!
I do not come from that low, so I could get a little higher temp easily and cannot help. I was just there and thus say hello!

Hi there and welcome! I am another one who moved south, to the southern point of Europe, and I am cold too, because the air is humid near the sea, and because we never heat as well as in the north. As I moved from "Italy level" to more south, just to let you know this is useless to move again, lol!
I do not come from that low, so I could get a little higher temp easily and cannot help. I was just there and thus say hello!

Hi Xisca
Thanks for saying "Hi!" - its lovely to feel welcome on this community!

Thanks for warning me! How much should I take? I am tall and weigh 95 Kg (210 lb). Maybe 5mcg every 20 mins until my temperature gets up to 37c (98.6 F)?

start with 1 or 2 micrograms an HOUR. You can take say 5mcg with a meal, or dissolve liquid in a small amount of water so you can take a drop or teaspoon or whatever to get 1 or 2 micrograms.

The thing is, T3 isn't a good way to warm up for a reset. It is a terrible way. Warming yourself up in a hot car or sauna is what Steve recommends basically.

I'm confused. In Steve's Logical Advanced Methods book, he says to use 12,5mcg doses of T3 on the first day, until my temperature rises sufficiently. He has replied to my earlier email to him and says that T2 is much better! However, I already have some T3 and have no idea where to find T2. My understanding is that I continue with the reset without T3 from the second day onwards. What you're saying is completely different - I'd really love to hear what you have found to be effective...

Any ideas where I can get hold of T2? Not sure whether its possible to Private Message on this forum...

I'm confused. In Steve's Logical Advanced Methods book, he says to use 12,5mcg doses of T3 on the first day, until my temperature rises sufficiently. He has replied to my earlier email to him and says that T2 is much better! However, I already have some T3 and have no idea where to find T2. My understanding is that I continue with the reset without T3 from the second day onwards. What you're saying is completely different - I'd really love to hear what you have found to be effective...

Any ideas where I can get hold of T2? Not sure whether its possible to Private Message on this forum...

I bought some but I don't think this is a good idea.

My understanding was only use this for the FIRST reset, the first day of your reset, not on a continuing basis.

I find T3 didn't raise my temperatures until I did the reset. I depended upon getting and staying super warm during the reset rather than chemicals.

I carried out my first Reset today.

I followed all the instructions in the pared-down version of Steve's book. My temperature started the day at 36.2celsius. went up to 36.7celsius, but I couldn't seem to get it any higher during the reset period. I started taking T3 doses first more regularly, then double doses, then quadruple doses - but no change in temperature. After 5 hours I decided to give up trying and took a double T4 dose to avoid metabolic shock. I kept myself warm and then made myself a veggie curry. After my curry, my temperature reached 37.05celsius (the highest I have measured it! It stayed up at around 36.9celsius for about half hour, then dropped down to 36.7, where it still is right now (21:47h.)

I'm not sure what to make of this, as the results weren't as expected. Any clues?

artlange

I did NOT take any thyroid for my temp reset. I sat in a hot car dressed warmly to get my temperature to rise or dress very warmly (I did it both ways) the very warm dressing was polypropylene long johns to keep the sweat from bothering me, layers of fleece and a down jacket when in the hot car and I slipped into a sleeping bag in my house. then my temperature would rise. when it got to 99.3, I'd take a glove off one hand and hold my hand outside the hot car for a minute or two, and then my temp would drop to 98.6. If your temperature does not rise, then you need to dress more warmly. If you are NOT sweating, then you must dress more warmly. I hope this helps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals