Taurine Increases Nitric Oxide

mipp

So is taurine a vasodilator and could it explain why some guys report improved hair growth from taurine? That's more or less how minoxidil works.

managing

cortisol lowers pulse but raises temperature...so inhibiting cortisol would increase pulse if anything
Cortisol raises pulse, not lowers. Just like adrenaline, but less so, and for longer period.

Hiwatt

I was on several antidepressants > Pristiq 100mg, Wellbutrin 400mg, Buspirione 30mg. I dropped all of these a month ago.

My morning blood glucose - fasting - was running slightly north of 100. I an NOT a type 2 diabetic and afternoon non fasting blood glucose is ~85. This suggests an excessive morning cortisol spike, as the liver creates glucose through gluconeogenesis. The theory is confirmed by blood ketone measurements. If you drop carbohydrates under 40g for 3 days and enter ketosis, blood ketones levels can be measured along with blood sugar.

What I noticed was in nutritional ketosis - morning blood glucose spikes from cortisol/gluconeogenesis while blood ketones are LOWER - even though one should technically spike ketone bodies - as a fasted sleeping person burns stored fat for energy. Later in the day as cortisol subsides, blood glucose drops and blood ketones rise. This tells the story. Ketones need to be measured in the blood. I am not advocating a ketogenic diet but using ketosis to cross measure things going on hormonally.

My suspicion was that these meds spiked cortisol overnight too aggressively, so I added DIAMANT (4 drops am / 4 drops pm) from IdeaLabs 2 weeks ago. My morning fasting glucose is now around 88-90. I don't get that stress surge on wakeup. Also the DIAMANT seems to cause a general calm and bump dopamine nicely without aggravating serotonin, cortisol, norepinephrine.

The DIAMANT has a slight brain fog attached to it out of the gate as reported by others, but in days that dissipates and a nice calm with low anxiety and low depression remain. I pray DIAMANT is safe as it seems to be a powerful tool :praying:

My belief is that antidepressants trigger a toxic hormonal cascade that destroy health globally. They may help in acute situations but over time a macro health strategy needs to be imposed rather than Rx institutionalization.

Shine On

Last edited:

ebs

Stimulation of Prolactin Secretion by Taurine, a Neurally Depressant Amino Acid
The neuraliy depressant amino acid taurine and related metabolites were tested for their ability to alter prolactin (PRL) secretion in conscious, unrestrained male rats. The intraventricular infusion oftaurine (0.2 and 2.0 μmol) elicited a significant increase in PRL secretion. Hypotaurine (0.2 and 2.0 μmol), cysteic acid (2.0 μmol), mannitol (2.0 μmol) and 0.9% saline were ineffective in altering PRL secretion. When infused directly into the pituitary of conscious, unrestrained male rats none of the substances tested stimulated PRL secretion. Taurine (50.0 μmol) was similarly ineffective in stimulating PRL secretion when an in vitro pituitary preparation was used. These studies indicate that taurine is capable of stimulating PRL secretion in the male rat. This effect appears to be mediated centrally, presumably at the hypothalamus.

Effect of taurine on growth hormone and prolactin secretion in rats: Possible interaction with opioid peptidergic system - ScienceDirect
The effect of taurine on growth hormone (GH) and prolactin (PRL) secretion was investigated in the urethane-α-chloralose anethetized rats, considering the interaction with endogenous opioid peptidergic system. Intraventricular injection of taurine (0.25 and 1.0 μmol) stimulated GH and PRL secretion in a dose-dependent manner. However, 4.0 μmol taurine failed to show these effect. The intravenous infusion of naloxone (4 mg/kg b.w.) completely inhibited both the GH and PRL secretion induced by taurine (1.0 μmol). The combined treatment of taurine (1.0 μmol) and FK33-824 (Met-enkephalin derivative, 100 μg/kg b.w., i.v.) significantly increased GH and PRL responses induced by taurine or FK33-824 alone. These results indicate that taurine is an effective stimulator of GH and PRL secretion in rats, and that the mechanism of this action involves the opioid peptidergic system in the hypothalamus.

you can see it stimulated prolactin AND growth hormone in rats. Probably in people too.

Just below this thread you can find this one:
Taurine Increases Dopamine Synthesis In The Brain

I'm personally inclined to believe the latter. I've been taking taurine 2 grams each morning and it attenuates the effects of coffee and mucuna pruriens.

My prolactin came back at 11.4 ug/L (4.0-15.2) when I was taking both taurine and mucuna so difficult to say if it was of influence. I need to add that at the time (january) I was still suffering from delayed sleep phase and having very little daylight which I've recently recovered from. So all things considered my prolactin wasn't that bad.

The way that taurine seems to work, both in my own experience and based on studies, it makes little sense it raises prolactin, but who knows.

Just below this thread you can find this one:
Taurine Increases Dopamine Synthesis In The Brain

I'm personally inclined to believe the latter. I've been taking taurine 2 grams each morning and it attenuates the effects of coffee and mucuna pruriens.

My prolactin came back at 11.4 ug/L (4.0-15.2) when I was taking both taurine and mucuna so difficult to say if it was of influence. I need to add that at the time (january) I was still suffering from delayed sleep phase and having very little daylight which I've recently recovered from. So all things considered my prolactin wasn't that bad.

The way that taurine seems to work, both in my own experience and based on studies, it makes little sense it raises prolactin, but who knows.

taurine definitely takes the edge off coffee, similar to how theanine does. That's why they put it in Red Bull I think.

But I don't think that it is an either-or thing. Maybe it can raise prolactin, AND increase dopamine synthesis. As you say you can't really tell at this point. 2g seems a reasonable amount also. Not an ultra high amount like 5g or 10g.

I had okay experience on taurine but I no longer use it. I'm getting away from supplements except for a few topical ones (D3, K2, E, progesterone, DHEA, pregnenolone, A) and some vitamin C sometimes and a bit of activated charcoal before bedtime.

Joe C

The reason why taurine is calming is because it increases the enzyme GAD which transforms glutamate into GABA and co2, as well as binding to the so-called GABA receptors directly.

I don't know if the amount of co2 produced is really significant - but interesting.

NO is probably far more complex than we give credit... Probably like all things, it's not in itself pathogenic, but becomes pathogenic when dysregulated.

Elephanto

Effect of taurine on growth hormone and prolactin secretion in rats: Possible interaction with opioid peptidergic system - ScienceDirect
The effect of taurine on growth hormone (GH) and prolactin (PRL) secretion was investigated in the urethane-α-chloralose anethetized rats, considering the interaction with endogenous opioid peptidergic system. Intraventricular injection of taurine (0.25 and 1.0 μmol) stimulated GH and PRL secretion in a dose-dependent manner. However, 4.0 μmol taurine failed to show these effect. The intravenous infusion of naloxone (4 mg/kg b.w.) completely inhibited both the GH and PRL secretion induced by taurine (1.0 μmol). The combined treatment of taurine (1.0 μmol) and FK33-824 (Met-enkephalin derivative, 100 μg/kg b.w., i.v.) significantly increased GH and PRL responses induced by taurine or FK33-824 alone. These results indicate that taurine is an effective stimulator of GH and PRL secretion in rats, and that the mechanism of this action involves the opioid peptidergic system in the hypothalamus.

you can see it stimulated prolactin AND growth hormone in rats. Probably in people too.

This one is interesting because naloxone (opioid receptor antagonist) inhibited these effects of Taurine. As a safety measure, since the effects are dose-dependent I think small doses would be healthier. This is also hinted by this :
The most effective dose for taurine was 175mg and it apparently it worked better than the 500mg dose. The optimal protocol for taurine was 175mg three times daily.
(regarding the effect of Taurine on "significantly lower oncogenic biomarkers but also significantly higher excretion of bacteria, viruses, fungi, heavy metals, and other toxic chemicals.")

vulture

I think there may be a chance that Peaters are decreasing their N.O. too much; or, maybe I should say creating an imbalance. @Vinero had noted how his N.O. was too low while on Lysine, which resulted in pneumonia. I'm dealing with similar symptoms; I may try juicing watermelon rinds, for the citrulline, as I know that supplementing with it lowers my pulse too much.

I can say, I am highly sensitive to most supplements, but taurine is my one fail-safe supplement; and, luckily, I can get by on very small doses--25mg will put me to sleep. So, maybe that within itself is showing too low, or imbalanced, N.O.

Also, I've been having constipation problems, and I've read that beet juice, an N.O. raiser, is good for that. Low and behold, I juiced some beets last night and I've already released the hounds today, and it feels like more are at the gate.

So, it would seem the moral of the story is your N.O. can get too low--or, maybe it's just my understanding/knowledge that is too low o_O, and I'm drawing conclusions too anecdotally.
Interesting. Recently I caught the flu, and then my brother and cousin (which doesn't Peat), both of them seems to evolve faster than me...I'm wondering if using MB and avoiding NO increasing stuff might weaken inmune system against this flu...I've being with cough for more than a month ago, and also some sore throat intermitently...

Wagner83

Interesting. Recently I caught the flu, and then my brother and cousin (which doesn't Peat), both of them seems to evolve faster than me...I'm wondering if using MB and avoiding NO increasing stuff might weaken inmune system against this flu...I've being with cough for more than a month ago, and also some sore throat intermitently...
Warning To People Taking Lysine

Waynish

It would really be useful to start a new meme in RPF. Instead of x increases y, I think we should switch to, "x increases y in z location for c time period." To simply have a list of "x increases/decreases y" for everything, there will not be enough discrimination to determine what is actually going on.

Inaut

It would really be useful to start a new meme in RPF. Instead of x increases y, I think we should switch to, "x increases y in z location for c time period." To simply have a list of "x increases/decreases y" for everything, there will not be enough discrimination to determine what is actually going on.

i like this

benaoao

Never understood why this forum / Peat is against NO.

NO being raised in faulty metabolisms doesn’t mean NO is causal. It’s part of the body’s options to treat a problem. Same goes with estrogens et al. You don’t really fix a metabolism issue with anti estrogens.

Imo taurine raising NO is a good thing. Taurine is great at helping the liver. A healthy liver is so central to health it’s as if a proper NO output means a healthy life.

managing

I think it will sometimes be impossible to get that specific. But I definitely like where you are going with this. :+1

OP
ddjd

ddjd

NO being raised in faulty metabolisms doesn’t mean NO is causal. It’s part of the body’s options to treat a problem. Same goes with estrogens et al. You don’t really fix a metabolism issue with anti estrogens.

Imo taurine raising NO is a good thing. Taurine is great at helping the liver. A healthy liver is so central to health it’s as if a proper NO output means a healthy life.
you need to listen to this

managing

Definitely a strong premise. Do you have further thoughts about what good the NO raised by taurine is doing?

Mossy

It is something to consider. For me, anything beyond very short-term exogenous supplementation/manipulation of my sysyem tends to create an imbalance, and negative state.

Mossy

Would anyone have any thoughts on why taurine adds to my dryness/dehydration issues? And, maybe more importantly, a remedy to this?

My first thought was more salt, to combat this.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

It also helps against male pattern baldness which is the main reason I supplement Taurine since it apparently down regulates TGF -B1.
Do you feel like it's working to stop your hair loss?

Mauritio

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals