Taurine Increases Nitric Oxide

ddjd

Not very Peaty after all...

Here's some studies:

"taurine caused elevated concentration of 3-NT and NOx"
Effects of taurine on nitric oxide and 3-nitrotyrosine levels in spleen during endotoxemia. - PubMed - NCBI

"The results showed that taurine increasedserum levels of nitric oxide and nitric oxide synthase"
Antihypertensive effect of taurine in rat. - PubMed - NCBI

"taurine supplementation........ shows an up-regulation of nitric oxide from monocyte-endothelial cell interactions"
Two weeks taurine supplementation reverses endothelial dysfunction in young male type 1 diabetics. - PubMed - NCBI

obviously you need to balance safe levels of Nitric Oxide, but I think long term Taurine supplementation isn't a good idea.

Well, Dr. Peat has to my knowledge never recommended supplementing with taurine. I agree with you, that it is probably not a good idea.

MrThyroid

i dont understand how you still think NO is bad. NO is important with out it you will die urgently with out it you will have metabolic disorder.
And there is no one NO there re three kinds of NO. Every one has his specific tasks

OP
ddjd

ddjd

i dont understand how you still think NO is bad. NO is important with out it you will die urgently with out it you will have metabolic disorder.
And there is no one NO there re three kinds of NO. Every one has his specific tasks
I think high NO is bad. I think keeping it in balance and generally low is a good thing. From experience, I know i need some NO in order to relax at night and sleep

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Before you discard Taurine......

taurine | Ray Peat Forum
im not disputing there's definitely some benefits. but as i said in the OP, long term and/or daily consumption i dont think is a good idea. and just worth knowing that when you take it you will increase nitric oxide so maybe balance that with some NO antagonists

Vinero

Nitric oxide has essential functions in the body, like fighting pathogens and infection.
It can also help to deliver oxygen and blood to tissues in case carbon dioxide is deficient.
When you have a high thyroid-driven metabolism, carbon dioxide causes vasodilation and delivers oxygen and nutrients to tissues.
When under stress or low-thyroid conditions, carbon dioxide isn't produced sufficiently and nitric oxide is the emergency vasodilator.
But unlike carbon dioxide, nitric oxide has toxic effects when it's effect is prolonged.
It's similar to cortisol, useful in acute situations to elevate blood-sugar and provide sugar to cells, but harmful when it's action is too long.
I would not ingest anything that raises nitric oxide beyond it's normal levels.
Taking 1 or 2 grams of taurine a day is probably safe and beneficial.
Drinking 1 or 2 redbulls a day gives you this amount.

Last edited:

Hiwatt

I take 2000 mg Taurine every day and still have slightly low NO - which I want. I test it everyday with my temp, BP, Blood Sugar and Blood Ketone. The Taurine is good antioxidant, membrane protector, regulation of calcium ion homeostasis, increases bioavailability of lipid soluble Vitamins A, D, E, K, makes good quality bile stimulating cell metabolism, magnesium carrier, helps excretion of PUFA, helps excretion of estrogen. I learned this from this forum and test and measure on myself.

Taurine Enhances Bioavailability Of Vitamins K, A, D, E

It also helps against male pattern baldness which is the main reason I supplement Taurine since it apparently down regulates TGF -B1. Calcification and Fibrosis are involved in male pattern baldness and Taurine fights fibrosis. The cool thing is I measure my NO everyday and its slightly low which is what I want.

An added benefit that I speculate is that it helps neurologically - especially for eyes. I have a minor congenital superior oblique eye muscle imbalance which has to be managed with prism lenses. I did notice I haven't had any major flare-ups of this condition since Taurine supplementation began. I could claim a positive correlation but many other Peat friendly measures have been employed so I can't say it helped in isolation.

It certainly does not cause elevated NO on my daily saliva test - unless something else in my regime overcorrects for it.

Taurine for Hair Growth -- the Most Effective Amino Acid for Fighting Hair Loss?

Shine On

Last edited:

tfcjesse

I take 2000 mg Taurine every day and still have slightly low NO - which I want. I test it everyday with my temp, BP, Blood Sugar and Blood Ketone. The Taurine is good antioxidant, membrane protector, regulation of calcium ion homeostasis, increases bioavailability of lipid soluble Vitamins A, D, E, K, makes good quality bile stimulating cell metabolism, magnesium carrier, helps excretion of PUFA, helps excretion of estrogen. I learned this from this forum and test and measure on myself.

It also helps against male pattern baldness which is the main reason I supplement Taurine since it apparently down regulates TGF -B1. Calcification and Fibrosis are involved in male pattern baldness and Taurine fights fibrosis. The cool thing is I measure my NO everyday and its slightly low which is what I want.

An added benefit that I speculate is that it helps neurologically - especially for eyes. I have a minor congenital superior oblique eye muscle imbalance which has to be managed with prism lenses. I did notice I haven't had any major flare-ups of this condition since Taurine supplementation began. I could claim a positive correlation but many other Peat friendly measures have been employed so I can't say it helped in isolation.

It certainly does not cause elevated NO on my daily saliva test - unless something else in my regime overcorrects for it.

Taurine for Hair Growth -- the Most Effective Amino Acid for Fighting Hair Loss?

Shine On

I use Taurine for these reasons too.. Would like to know if it indeed is harmful to use daily.

Hiwatt

@ tfcjesse Good point, confirming extended supplementation safety is important - maybe someone will know.

Cheers

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Shine On
you're basing your levels on a saliva test?

Hiwatt

Sure just take 4x daily amount of Arginine and test hourly for 6 hours by saliva to prove it registers high.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Sure just take 4x daily amount of Arginine and test hourly for 6 hours by saliva to prove it registers high.
and you did that?
can you link to the product you use

Hiwatt

Nitric Oxide Test

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071Z8R2XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it/147-9449701-1247221?ie=UTF8&qid=1522966589&sr=8-3&keywords=nitric+oxide+testing+strips&dpPl=1&dpID=41DHrN

It's a general guide IMHO. I am not a scientist. You have a good point and we should know what's best. I can spike it with arginine but fasting it's normal on the saliva test so my conclusion is Taurine isn't affecting NO too much in me personally.

I take blood pressure 2x daily as a diagnostic tool. Blood glucose and blood ketone since I am slightly ketogenic on purpose but not crazy so.

If BP is elevated and NO really low I'd be concerned but in reality I don't really have a NO issue. I used to think Arginine supplementation was desirable for weightlifting and blood flow but I don't use Arginine supplementation anymore. I'd rather just have normal NO and get the benefits of Taurine for my eyes and hair et al.

This is important you bring it up. If Taurine is indeed risky then I would drop it as it's not crucial enough to play games. My 18 months on 2000 mg a day seems to do no obvious harm.

Try the saliva test for experimentation. My guess is a real NO problem will manifest somewhere obvious. I think most people are around average dependent on food intake.

Eat beets and you will spike after the meal. I am more glad I don't use Arginine anymore but it was effective when I was younger lifting weights.

Thank you for opening this thread as I am also anxious to learn more on this subject.

Last edited:

Tarmander

I have tried to make taurine work, and have found the most success with higher doses. But it always seems to give me man boobs and get puffy.

Nitric Oxide Test

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071Z8R2XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_a_it/147-9449701-1247221?ie=UTF8&qid=1522966589&sr=8-3&keywords=nitric+oxide+testing+strips&dpPl=1&dpID=41DHrN

It's a general guide IMHO. I am not a scientist. You have a good point and we should know what's best. I can spike it with arginine but fasting it's normal on the saliva test so my conclusion is Taurine isn't affecting NO too much in me personally.

I take blood pressure 2x daily as a diagnostic tool. Blood glucose and blood ketone since I am slightly ketogenic on purpose but not crazy so.
That's a lot better test than nothing. Props.

Hiwatt

Here's fasting NO saliva test 4.6.18. I won't take Taurine today and I will eat exactly the same foods at the same time.

Let's see if it drops. I will post retest tomorrow. It's s very crude experiment but why not try. So this shows by it's spec slightly north of normal if at all. The dark red reference square below it is darker and would suggest a meal of food producing NO.

After we test tomorrow on day 3 I will take a bunch of Arginine before I eat and test hourly and see if that makes it dark red.

Frankenstein for sure buy why not.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20180406_062627.jpg
    20180406_062627.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 35