Starch & Gas

Peata

May be TMI.

I feel like I'm getting my diet better focused now, and figuring the following things out will help reduce some problems.

I'm coming to the conclusion I do better on low starch, maybe very low.

Pasta bothers me, even the 1/4 - 1/2 c. mac and cheese I make once per week.

Potato also seems to cause gas and digestive weirdness, up to 12 hours later. I haven't had french fries in a while and can't remember if they did this, but I'll make some today and see how I do. I know mashed potatoes and baked potatoes cause problems, whether with lots of fat and salt or little fat.

Anyone know from a Peat perspective why starch does this? Is there anything I should do about it other than not eat it?

Another question, does anyone have trouble tolerating a lot of fruit at one time?

I had BR issues yesterday after increasing fruit all at once, but I'm hoping that was just a one-time thing.

messtafarian

Milk and fruit do me in every time. I can basically do one or the other but not both. In fact I just had a recent unpleasant interaction from ONE cup of OJ with cream of tartar and half a cup of milk in my coffee -- added to the coffee which is also acidic and hard on the stomach.

Sweet fruits are mostly pure sugar, so the issue there is acidity I think; and also I am really not used to digesting these basic foods. Theoretically I can expect this to improve once my intestines figure out what to do.

Starches are a little different -- there could be genetics in play. If you're not tolerating them well you might not be able to eat as much as you like or without adding supplemental digestive enzymes. . Maybe just dial back or try a few different starches to see if you do better with them. White rice for example -- you could try rice macaroni and cheese for example. You could also try cooking the potato a little more; or try dried potato flakes. If not well, it could just be the way you're built.

barefooter

I remember reading that starch digestion begins with enzymes in the saliva, that begin the process of break down into simple sugars. Have you experimented with chewing more?

OP
Peata

Peata

@MF did you put orange juice in your coffee? Just seeing if I read that right. I haven't been having any trouble before with milk and fruit or cheese and fruit. It was always one of my go-to snacks/meals. Often cottage cheese and fruit, but sometimes milk or lowfat cheese instead.

I wonder because it's the sudden inclusion of 4 prunes per day that's getting me? I should have taken it a bit slower. Maybe started with one per day and see how I did. I had another BR issue today after eating my fruit, which included prunes, so that seems like a good culprit to take away from my diet and try adding back slowly.

However, the prunes have nothing to do with the way my belly has been acting with starch. I'll do like you mention and experiment with what I can tolerate and how much.

@BF I can eat a little fast sometimes when I'm really hungry. I drink fast too, which may be why I find myself full of too much milk all at once, and there comes the bloat. Another thing to work on.

OP
Peata

Peata

It sounded like a full-scale war going on in my belly a while ago. Lots of rumbling noise, twinges here and there, rolling, etc. Freaky. I had one small slice of pizza that my DH brought home (it was loaded with toppings) because I was really hungry and there it was, and made an iced coffee drink (instant coffee, gelatin, sugar, salt, milk). That's when all the craziness started in there.

I just had a large carrot, and it's finally settling my gut down.

marcar72

Eating a lot of fruit all at one time would probably induce fructose malabsorption which is normal. It's pretty much the same as eating a lot of dairy in a short time frame, one would eventually hit temporary lactose intolerance once all the current available lactase enzyme is used up.

J

j.

marcar72 said:
Eating a lot of fruit all at one time would probably induce fructose malabsorption which is normal. It's pretty much the same as eating a lot of dairy in a short time frame, one would eventually hit temporary lactose intolerance once all the current available lactase enzyme is used up.

I bet your appetite would give you signals when that's about to happen, e.g., you would stop desiring orange juice you can't digest it anymore, or are approaching that point.

marcar72

Peata said:
I wonder because it's the sudden inclusion of 4 prunes per day that's getting me? I should have taken it a bit slower. Maybe started with one per day and see how I did. I had another BR issue today after eating my fruit, which included prunes, so that seems like a good culprit to take away from my diet and try adding back slowly.

However, the prunes have nothing to do with the way my belly has been acting with starch. I'll do like you mention and experiment with what I can tolerate and how much.

When I added in some prunes a few days ago I had the same thing happen more or less. I ate 1 serving (1 and 1/2oz) and felt some goings on in the midsection but I wasn't bloated or gassy. The next day I had some the same thing happened and later that day I a glorious BM, best BM I've had in awhile. That's pretty much what prunes are known for is helping with constipation and getting things moving down there. :lol: Here the last couple days it's toned down a bit and I'm still eating a couple servings of prunes a day. It could be partially due to the starch but just might be it's renowned reputation for getting things moving down there. ;)

OP
Peata

Peata

marcar72 said:
Peata said:

When I added in some prunes a few days ago I had the same thing happen more or less. I ate 1 serving (1 and 1/2oz) and felt some goings on in the midsection but I wasn't bloated or gassy. The next day I had some the same thing happened and later that day I a glorious BM, best BM I've had in awhile. That's pretty much what prunes are known for is helping with constipation and getting things moving down there. :lol: Here the last couple days it's toned down a bit and I'm still eating a couple servings of prunes a day. It could be partially due to the starch but just might be it's renowned reputation for getting things moving down there. ;)

Yes, prunes are a sorcerous food.

So thanks to input from you guys, I'll start back slow with the prunes, avoid so much fruit all at one time, at least til I adjust, and not so much milk or OJ at one time.

Mittir

Only starch source i have found causing the least problem is well cooked white rice.
White rice has almost no soluble fiber. That could be a major reason .
Some amount of starch usually escape digestion and feeds bacteria.
Starch is known to feed mostly bad bacteria.
Most fruits, especially grapes and OJ cause a lot of problem for me.
I have read that some frozen concentrate of OJ are pectin free.
You can experiment with one of those to see if it works.
I eat a lot of table sugar and honey with milk and other foods.
I do not see any problem even when i put 3-4 tbs of honey or sugar in milk+coffee.

Swandattur

Yes, starch is a definite issue for me to one degree or another. I know avoiding it helps control blood sugar and appetite. Now I'm thinking it might have something to do with allergy reactions for me.
Interesting about the frozen concentrates. At least you, also, don't have to worry about fluoridated water being added or worry about plastic bottles.

aniciete

I find having proper bile flow most important for tolerating starch/fiber. I can eat 4 pounds of sweet potatoes without any gas as long as my gallbladder is functioning properly.

Food allergens, in my case grains and dairy, obstruct my bile ducts causing fermentation to occur even from just a cup of fruit.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals