Milk/Gas/Loose Stools

Care

Forum Supporter
Hi,

I'm using Strauss milk. It is non homogenized. I feel much better with less fat--more energy. However, I did not have gas with whole milk and I have it with low fat and skim. Skim seems to cause less issue. I love milk, feel quite energetic and very little body pain but with or without fruit in it, GAS!

I could try another brand, I suppose but Strauss seems cleanest. Any thoughts, suggestions? Rest of diet is fairly Peaty. I am tolerating white rice now, and yes, I know this is a starch but I don't eat tons. Also eating grass pastured eggs, raw and cooked without issue. Gas only occurs with the milk.

I've been slowly reducing my overall fat content and notice I have less intestinal issues, more energy, better sleep, less overall pain. I do Ashtanga yoga for my ritual. It doesn't feel like exercise. I would really like to be able to tolerate the milk but will look for other milks. I was fine with the whole milk but in general, I notice now that less fat feels better to me in my diet. I simply don't crave it anymore and it makes me feel uncomfortable if I eat too much. I love cheese and all the cheeses I eat right now are gooey, sheep or goat, but I don't eat tons of cheese.

Thanks for any suggestions.

P.S. I read ingredients now and lower fat milk has vitamin A added!! Maybe this is why. I would like to find milk that is low fat without added anything.

Last edited:
M

member 2106

Interesting, I've noticed similar problems with low fat milk, but I'm also not sure what's causing it. Mine doesn't even have vitamin A added.

OP
C

Care

Forum Supporter
Thanks for your response. I scoured any others on web for Ray Peat, etc. Thing is, my energy is fantastic now. I only do yoga now because I have the energy and it is a joyful practice. I was not exercising regularly for years (discovered Peat several years ago) bc I didn't have the energy. And prior to having this issue, I had problems with constipation. I am not uncomfortable but it is annoying to have that level of gas. My lunches are liquid--I don't do well on solids in the day and am perfectly adapted to OJ, etc, gelatin. I add in raw egg yolk, etc. I have high energy job and very busy so I do not enjoy eating solid foods as I prefer to do this once I return home and solid foods in the day make me tired. So it is just tweaking this damn milk issue! I keep waiting to adapt. Plus, it irritates me to have to toss my uber expensive Strauss milk but it is not optimal to be so gassy!!

opson123

Whole milk digests slower than skim milk, it has more time to interact with enzymes. With skim milk your gut can't produce lactase fast enough so some of it escapes digestion and you end up with loose stools and gas.

You can confirm this with lactase drops or pills.

OP
C

Care

Forum Supporter
Thanks! Great thought behind this. I'm doing so much better with skim in every way that maybe I can find lactase drops at Whole Paycheck (or pills). Great suggestion! Thank you very much!

I don't know the ultimate cause but I had had this issue before (loose stools from milk).
What worked for me was taking 100mg of minocycline for a few days. It completely stopped after that I have been able to digest milk fine since then.
Danny Roddy, if I recall correctly, also had an issue digesting milk, which went away after he took antibiotics (I think penicillin or minocycline).
I know people here can be very divided against antibiotics. So I don't know if that's the best solution for you, or even addresses what your body is doing to the milk.
But I figured I'd share it as an option in case other ideas don't work.
However, you do mention the added vitamin A, and I remember seeing some people react poorly to the added vitamins. But the milk I successfully drink is standard grocery store milk with added vitamins.

OP
C

Care

Forum Supporter
Thank you, interesting suggestion. I have no issue whatsoever with any dairy with exception of low fat milk. I was even doing low fat greek yogurt with no issues. But I prefer and really feel good (minus the annoying issues with gas) with the low fat milk. I will look and see if there are other brands that do not have anything added. I live in the Bay Area so we have lots of options, including grass fed.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals