Best Starch Digestion Aid?

smith

Tasting bitter substances stimulates the stomach to produce more bile/digestive enzymes

tara

Rice and potatoes don't even come close to what pasta with marinara and parmesan cheese taste like :( Perhaps after becoming strong in digestive and metabolic health I'll be able to handle it every now and then :)
I know it's not the same, but have you tried making rice noodles with marinara and parmesan?

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

I actually just went through a packet of rice vermicelli, it was a nice change of pace from eating the grains themselves. I can’t see them replacing my beloved pasta, but they can hold for now. I also need to reexperiment with pasta now that I’ve cut out meat, as the combination of meat and grain may have been too much phosphorous and protein for my body to deal with at once. Then there’s always egg noodles too try also?

Rice vermicelli absorbs water very easily, and so it’s easy to cook them with too much water, as which is what happened with the packet I cooked, so I ate some soupy meals for a couple days o_O

I think it’s very easy for my mineral status to go awry, as often I will feel unsatisfied from meals, as if I’m missing some nutrition even tho I’m physically full. The obvious answer is to use more vegetables, but I’ve also found that using a kale broth to cook into my rice is an easy way to add more minerals to a slightly nutrient lacking food, and it’s helped slightly with me feeling more content with my meals. I will be adding increasing amounts of steamed spinach today and see if that takes care of my problem.

Incorporating some of @Elephanto’s dietary regimen, I added some soaked lentils to my diet, which I find tasty in my bowls, and have helped my stools. However, unlike @Elephanto I made sure to include some cheese with it to balance the phosphorous content of lentils =P

Today should be an interesting day of eating. Lots to play around with for sure :)

Elephanto

@Runenight201 Good idea about rice vermicellis instead of rice, some brands have very low protein (mine has 1g for 63g of carbs) so it's a good way to avoid the opioid-triggering effect of rice albumin which is in the protein fraction (that said, it isn't as potent as milk's casomorphins, cocoa or wheat opioid peptides in my experience). Btw, why not drain the vermicellis through a sieve after cooking, this way the amount of water in the pot doesn't matter as you don't have to wait until it aborbs all the water.

About Calcium, it's not unlike me as I often supplement with about 500-650mg and with my low protein intake it is easy to achieve a positive ratio Ca:P ratio. Plus Magnesium is also a potent inhibitor of Parathyroid Hormone. In fact Magnesium serum levels significantly and inversely correlate with PTH serum levels in human studies. I've started buying some goat cheese too, mainly to increase my protein intake a bit. Since the casomorphins are similar to A2 milk, the effect should be much less but I'm going to see.

jitsmonkey

I previously had similar issues with starch.
a) I never resolved this with rice. I can eat it but I still don't respond well to it.
b) I did resolve this with potatoes.
- I only eat them fresh never out of the fridge
- I boil the crap out of them, mashing them with a fork is super easy
- same as the other stuff you mentioned ie. salt, lil fat
- something else that really helped me turn the corner was adding white vinegar to my potatoes helped a lot.

I think just as a transporter of nutrition potatoes are a better food than rice
I still don't have a clear picture as to why rice clearly doesn't perform as well. re: pulse, temps, digestion, etc...
its much better than it was years ago but point being potatoes vs rice... potatoes win in every category from my experience.

as for pasta it too is a favorite but probably similar to rice as far as performance.
one thing that makes an enormous difference if you're in the US is buying imported pasta with no flour enrichment.
just the iron content alone is dramatically lower without enrichment... I've had MUCH better experiences with unenriched pasta than the
nonsensical domestic stuff.
I actually just went through a packet of rice vermicelli, it was a nice change of pace from eating the grains themselves. I can’t see them replacing my beloved pasta, but they can hold for now. I also need to reexperiment with pasta now that I’ve cut out meat, as the combination of meat and grain may have been too much phosphorous and protein for my body to deal with at once. Then there’s always egg noodles too try also?

Rice vermicelli absorbs water very easily, and so it’s easy to cook them with too much water, as which is what happened with the packet I cooked, so I ate some soupy meals for a couple days o_O

I think it’s very easy for my mineral status to go awry, as often I will feel unsatisfied from meals, as if I’m missing some nutrition even tho I’m physically full. The obvious answer is to use more vegetables, but I’ve also found that using a kale broth to cook into my rice is an easy way to add more minerals to a slightly nutrient lacking food, and it’s helped slightly with me feeling more content with my meals. I will be adding increasing amounts of steamed spinach today and see if that takes care of my problem.

Incorporating some of @Elephanto’s dietary regimen, I added some soaked lentils to my diet, which I find tasty in my bowls, and have helped my stools. However, unlike @Elephanto I made sure to include some cheese with it to balance the phosphorous content of lentils =P

Today should be an interesting day of eating. Lots to play around with for sure :)

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

@jitsmonkey ill have to look into the imported pasta. I definitely feel better every now and then eating pasta as one of my starchy meals. I’ve pretty much found I really dislike eating the same starchy meal twice in a row, so I’m beginning to find that meals with a rotation of potatoes/rice/lentils/pasta keep me excited about my food, which in turn makes me a lot more satiated and content upon eating a meal. Whenever I repetitively eat meals, I believe I lose energy, as I’m not excited about the food, I don’t eat as much, and I don’t acquire as much energy. I think the rotation also gives my body certain nutrients that other foods may be lacking, and also minimizes any negative effect of a certain food.

Hands down pasta digests the easiest for me interestingly tho. I never have stomach rumbling or gas from pasta...just some joint pain.

@Elephanto I think coffee is a potent antagonist to the negative effects of dairy. I have to be careful with my caffeine intake because it will quickly excite me, but I noticed that this morning I had a delicious bowl of milk, rice Chex, and maple syrup, followed by raw spinach and oj. After all this my sinuses congested up, but only a couple sips of coffee immediately cleared them, and I felt pretty good from the large amount of micronutrients and calories I ingested. I felt very androgenic and my hair and skin were on point. However, an hour later I had apple sauce and oj again, and I quickly deterioated, becoming oily, red eyes, itchy, and tired. I believe perhaps I may have had too much fructose? I state that because my liver is definitely in disrepair, and I could see how overburdening it with fructose would lead to fructose malabsorption, and then negative physiological effects (whether feeding yeast, bacteria, stimulating immune responses, I’m not sure)

I’m going to look over the posts you’ve made about fructose, and then also go out and purchase zinc, niacinamide, and taurine, because I think I saw you post somewhere that those are beneficial for the liver.

Elephanto

@Runenight201 I find coffee to have a potent antagonistic effect too, but the frequent use of such antagonist (like naloxone) tends to increase the sensitivity to opioid-triggering substances, which also matches my experience. In any case, it seems like an already lost fight to base your diet on something you need to counter aggressively. Small trade-offs okay, but that one is the kind that has a determinant impact on your life imo. I don't even get sinus or histamine-related effects from opioids and I still find subtle ways they make me unoptimal.

Yes those are beneficial to the liver, as well as all anti-Endotoxins (+ intestinal integrity protectors) and ATP raising agents. Magnesium does both, being anti-bacterial and necessary for optimal ATP production ( converts phosphate into ATP, so decreasing Phosphate at the same time). Selenized Yeast and Vitamin E are also effective for liver health. Occassional use of Milk Thistle seems to have a good effect too. Stretching regularly is a good way to raise ATP levels.

Last edited:

Elephanto

as for pasta it too is a favorite but probably similar to rice as far as performance.
Seems like their common feature is opioid triggering, which potatoes don't have (although they can be gut-irritating from their saponins and are among the most common triggers of reactions in IBS sufferers; probably well-supported when the intestinal barrier integrity is optimal).

wheat gluten, rice albumin
Opioid receptor ligands derived from food proteins. - PubMed - NCBI
Like I just mentioned, this can be largely avoided with rice by choosing products with almost no protein content since this albumin is from the protein fraction. I don't think it's about transporting nutriton but rather the effect of chronically being on some level of opioid effect and so chronically high in Cortisol each time the effect fades with decreased resistance to stress. If we consider opioids as general suppressors, then decreased temps, metabolism, digestion, bowel movements etc are expected.

OP
Runenight201

Runenight201

@Runenight201 In any case, it seems like an already lost fight to base your diet on something you need to counter aggressively. Small trade-offs okay, but that one is the kind that has a determinant impact on your life imo. I don't even get sinus or histamine-related effects from opioids and I still find subtle ways they make me unoptimal.

Yes for sure, if the magnitude of the negative effect is large and cannot be counteracted safely without causing other side effects to occur, then it is a battle not worth continuing to engage in.

In general, I try to look at the pros of what a food has to offer, and look for ways to combine with other foods to mitigate or eliminate the negatives of what that food has. The koala has grown slow and stupid, because it acquires all of its energy needs from the Eucalyptus leaf, and while it is safe, it never develops any extraordinary intelligence or abilities due to such a limited diet and environment.

However, if a food is a net negative, no matter the measures taken, then it does not make sense to continue to eat.

The spinach could have been a culprit imo.

There was about a 30 minute break in between my cereal and the spinach + oj, and while there was some very low level congestion, it got significantly worse upon eating the spinach. So I agree, in any case, the coffee completely cleared me up.

GreekDemiGod

b) I did resolve this with potatoes.
- I only eat them fresh never out of the fridge
- I boil the crap out of them, mashing them with a fork is super easy
- same as the other stuff you mentioned ie. salt, lil fat
I do all this and they still cause me problems, bloating, constipation and fatigue. It's too bad, cause I love potatoes. Certainly the fact that when I eat them, I eat them very quickly and probably don't chew them enough, doesn't help

golder

Has anyone found Haiduts Mitolipin helps with starch digestion? I vaguely remember someone saying it in the product thread?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals