Sorbitol, Xylitol, Mannitol

Luann

Hey all,
I was researching "hydroxyl scavengers" and came across sorbitol, mannitol, and xylitol as protective sugars against free radicals. Apparently if you take too much of them they have a laxative effect. But I might try using them in a moderate amount, like five to ten sticks of trident gum in a day, or as a powder, unless any of you have heard concerns about effects of these sugar alcohols.
Hopefully they are okay to eat.
By the way another hydroxyl scavenger is the chlorogenic acid in dark roast coffee :]
Liubo

Amazoniac

OP
Luann

Luann

Right. Like Amazoniac I have smelled or tasted the sugar alcohols from bad fruit on accident - not so yummy. There are sorbitol candies in my nearby dollar store that are pretty much the same as the online ones. Thanks for the link to your post.

L

lollipop

If you search my name and xylitol - you will find my post where I share my recipe for my own homemade xylitol candies. Otherwise PM and I will share recipe and images. Quite yummy actually ❤️❤️

Mauritio

I found this study and I think it's worth mentioning that:
1. Mannitol (partially) blocked lipid peroxidation
2. Ascorbic acid in lower concentrations actually increased lipid peroxidation (what's low?)

"Although mannitol or Tris partially blocked peroxidation, .."

"Although low concentrations of H2O2 or ascorbate increased lipid peroxidation by Fe2+ or Fe3+, respectively, high concentrations of H2O2 or ascorbate (in excess of iron) inhibited lipid peroxidation due to oxidative or reductive maintenance of iron exclusively in Fe2+ or Fe3+ form. "

The involvement of iron in lipid peroxidation. Importance of ferric to ferrous ratios in initiation - PubMed

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals