Sodium Butyrate leads to weight loss and less inflammation/endotoxin

Osukhan

huh, never heard of it. I eat an apple a day

thanks for the study, def interesting about the metformin being helpful, i would like to assume berberine would have similar benefits

David PS

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

GenericName86

Funny that I see Akkermansia being posted, the other day I was looking into A.Muciniphila and bifidobacteria from the use of oligosaccharides and it lead me to discusions about there role in neuro diseases, mainly Parkinson's. A.Muciniphila was mentioned in being associated with PD but the strain seems beneficial to health though so it has me confused.

mm33

Forum Supporter
Thanks Mauritio for this great thread and thanks to Pesky & Perry and all the other great posters that helps someone like me understand and read studies I'd never even know to look for! I did find a summary from Dr Ruscio that's interesting and easy to understand for the laymen like me. Don't know how accurate but it does seem to match a lot of what's posted above.

ddjd

Very interesting study on Sodium Butyrate and weight loss/inflammation.

The researchers fed mice a high fat diet(HFD) and gave some of them Sodium butyrate (I think it was 5% of the diet) as a supplement.

Not only did the butyrate +HFD-mice weigh less (~20%) than the HFD-mice, they weighed even less than the control group, receiving a normal diet!
Plus they ate about 10% more food than the control animals.
View attachment 40687

Eating more food and gaining less weight. Sounds familiar ? ...maybe there's some uncoupling going on.

This is corroborated by the fact that the butyrate +HFD-mice had the same amount of total fat than the controls, but less white fat. So the rest was probably brown (or beige) fat, which is known for higher levels of heat production/uncoupling than white fat.

View attachment 40688

So sodium butyrate might have induced a higher state of uncoupling in those animals.
The full text shows UCP1 was almost non-existent HFD mice ,while it was restored to control levels in the butyrate-mice.
They also showed no reduction of lean mass, which is typical for uncoupling and the reason why DNP is so popular amognst body builders.

The butyrate-fed mice also showed better glucose tolerance and lower overall inflammation, which might just be a result of lower systemic endotoxin levels, through butyrate's abilty to decrease intestinal permeability,
As the authors explain:

"Earlier reports have shown gut leakage and increased LPS in circulation is the primary cause of setting up inflammation at the tissue level."

Could this be the most UNDERRATED health supplement in the world?
🔻
Sodium Butyrate -Inhibits HDAC (kills cancer cells) -Strengthens gut lining -Lowers gut inflammation -Antioxidant -Protects your brain -Can "feel" it immediately -Life extending

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Vitamin b2 supplementation increases butyrate.

-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9986023/

Vinny

Hans

Forum Supporter
I had no luck increasing butyric acid taking sodium butyrate(did nothing at all for me actually), but using Apple Pectin before meals once a day did the trick to increase it. I've tried every resistant starch under the sun and green finger banana starch was what i found i tolerated best, and inulin and potato starch joint worst(felt like i was dying for the first couple of weeks and the gas was unreal)
How did you confirm to increase in butyrate?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio

Are you still taking sodium butyrate? Curious if you have you noticed any negative effects on sleep quality or mood with long-term supplementation.
No , not using it right now. It gave me dark circles under my eyes but also signs of higher testosterone.

maillol

Great thread. @Mauritio it seems like you went with supplementing sodium butyrate directly. Did you try the high fibre approach at all and if so how did it compare?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Great thread. @Mauritio it seems like you went with supplementing sodium butyrate directly. Did you try the high fibre approach at all and if so how did it compare?
No I never tried that.

Dawid

Bardzo interesujące badanie dotyczące maślanu sodu i utraty wagi/zapalenia.

Naukowcy karmili myszy dietą wysokotłuszczową (HFD), a niektórym z nich podawali maślan sodu (myślę, że stanowił 5% diety) jako dodatek.

Myszy maślanowe + HFD nie tylko ważyły mniej (~20%) niż myszy HFD, ale ważyły nawet mniej niż grupa kontrolna, otrzymująca normalną dietę!
Ponadto zjadały około 10% więcej pożywienia niż zwierzęta z grupy kontrolnej.
View attachment 40687

Jeść więcej i przybierać na wadze mniej. Brzmi znajomo ? ...może ma miejsce jakieś rozłączenie.

Potwierdza to fakt, że myszy maślanowe + HFD miały taką samą ilość całkowitego tłuszczu jak kontrole, ale mniej białego tłuszczu. Zatem resztę stanowił prawdopodobnie brązowy (lub beżowy) tłuszcz, który znany jest z wyższego poziomu wytwarzania/rozłączania ciepła niż biały tłuszcz.

View attachment 40688

Zatem maślan sodu mógł wywołać wyższy stan rozłączenia u tych zwierząt.
Pełny tekst pokazuje, że UCP1 prawie nie istniał u myszy HFD, podczas gdy u myszy z maślanem został przywrócony do poziomu kontrolnego.
Nie wykazały również redukcji masy beztłuszczowej, co jest charakterystyczne dla rozprzęgania i dlatego DNP jest tak popularne wśród kulturystów.

Myszy karmione maślanem wykazywały również lepszą tolerancję glukozy i niższy ogólny stan zapalny, co mogło być po prostu wynikiem niższego ogólnoustrojowego poziomu endotoksyn, poprzez zdolność maślanu do zmniejszania przepuszczalności jelit.
Jak wyjaśniają autorzy:

„Wcześniejsze raporty wykazały, że nieszczelność jelit i zwiększony poziom LPS w krążeniu są główną przyczyną powstawania stanu zapalnego na poziomie tkanek”.

All the charts show fat gain not fat loss

Bart1

interesting thread. I have used the supplement Tributyrin-X, it was one of the few things that helped with loose stools.

I found out that my gut has very low Faecalibacterium prausnitzii.
I found a prebiotic fiber, it’s from kiwi gold, it’s called liveaux and it feeds them. This bacteria also helps with butyrate production. So I now take this instead of a butyrate supplement.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals