Vitamin B5 May Help Weight Loss by Turning on Brown Fat

aliml

Abstract​

Brown adipose tissue (BAT) is the primary site of adaptive thermogenesis, which is involved in energy expenditure and has received much attention in the field of obesity treatment. By screening a small-molecule compound library of drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration, pantothenic acid was identified as being able to significantly upregulate the expression of uncoupling protein 1 (UCP1), a key thermogenic protein found in BAT. Pantothenate (PA) treatment decreased adiposity, reversed hepatic steatosis, and improved glucose homeostasis by increasing energy expenditure in C57BL/6J mice fed a high-fat diet. PA also significantly increased BAT activity and induced beige adipocytes formation. Mechanistically, the beneficial effects were mediated by UCP1 because PA treatment was unable to ameliorate obesity in UCP1 knockout mice. In conclusion, we identified PA as an effective BAT activator that can prevent obesity and may represent a promising strategy for the clinical treatment of obesity and related metabolic diseases.

Pantothenate Treatment​

D-pantothenic acid hemicalcium salt (P5155, Sigma) was dissolved in sterile saline (0.9% NaCl) for mouse experiments. To generate HFD mice groups, 3-wk-old mice were fed a normal chow diet for 3 wk, then shifted to an HFD and administered either PA (10 mg/kg body wt) or saline via oral gavage daily until euthanized. To generate corresponding no-HFD mouse groups, 3-wk-old mice were fed with a normal chow diet for 3 wk then maintained on that same diet and administered either PA (10 mg/kg body wt) or saline via oral gavage daily until euthanized All mice were weighed weekly. The rationale of dosage was based on an estimated conversion formula that assumes that 1 μM in cell culture medium equates to 0.6 mg/kg body wt in mouse serum. With respect to combatting obesity, the optimal concentration of PA was determined to be 10.0 mg/kg based on a preliminary test with concentrations of 0.6, 5.0, and 10.0 mg/kg (data not shown). No adverse reaction could be observed in mice with the above dosages. According to body surface area conversion, PA treatment in humans with a weight of 50 kg is ∼10 mg/kg × 0.0026 × 50 kg = 1.3 mg, which is within the safe dosage of 5 mg/kg in humans according to reported study.

Supplemental Data​

1659596658391.png

A.R

Thanks for posting. Anyone have experience supplementing B5? What cofactors should be used along with it?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I’ve been taking it off and on at 1,000-1,500 mg per day since last winter when I read some Japanese research Elliott Overton shared about it helping with constipation. It does help me with that issue. I didn’t notice any changes in my weight but I’ve been at about the same weight since the end of 2020 and don’t have any extra to lose. It helps my carb tolerance though.

cedric

B5 is easily destroyed by heat.
Beta-alanine is a part of B5 and help spurs PUFA burning.

A.R

B5 is easily destroyed by heat.
Beta-alanine is a part of B5 and help spurs PUFA burning.
So should both B5 and Beta Alanine be stacked? Or it’s sufficient to just take one of the compounds?

cedric

B5 helps to absorb more B2, makes acetyl-CoA for fuel burning, synthesis, steroids.
Beta-alanine is rate limiting factor for carnosine.
Panthetine is precursor for B5.
Fresh food is a good source of B5.

Giraffe

Thanks for posting. Anyone have experience supplementing B5? What cofactors should be used along with it?

See this thread:

GeoX

@haidut Any need to reexamine Energin formulation after all these interesting articles regarding B5, B1, B3 and so on? Or are you still happy with it?