Sodium Butyrate leads to weight loss and less inflammation/endotoxin

Mauritio

Very interesting study on Sodium Butyrate and weight loss/inflammation.

The researchers fed mice a high fat diet(HFD) and gave some of them Sodium butyrate (I think it was 5% of the diet) as a supplement.

Not only did the butyrate +HFD-mice weigh less (~20%) than the HFD-mice, they weighed even less than the control group, receiving a normal diet!
Plus they ate about 10% more food than the control animals.
Screenshot_20220817-230207_Chrome.jpg

Eating more food and gaining less weight. Sounds familiar ? ...maybe there's some uncoupling going on.

This is corroborated by the fact that the butyrate +HFD-mice had the same amount of total fat than the controls, but less white fat. So the rest was probably brown (or beige) fat, which is known for higher levels of heat production/uncoupling than white fat.

Screenshot_20220817-230246_Chrome.jpg

So sodium butyrate might have induced a higher state of uncoupling in those animals.
The full text shows UCP1 was almost non-existent HFD mice ,while it was restored to control levels in the butyrate-mice.
They also showed no reduction of lean mass, which is typical for uncoupling and the reason why DNP is so popular amognst body builders.

The butyrate-fed mice also showed better glucose tolerance and lower overall inflammation, which might just be a result of lower systemic endotoxin levels, through butyrate's abilty to decrease intestinal permeability,
As the authors explain:

"Earlier reports have shown gut leakage and increased LPS in circulation is the primary cause of setting up inflammation at the tissue level."

miquelangeles

About a year ago I wanted to try it (a sodium butyrate supplement called Butifar) but then I read a local review that said “My husband and I took a few capsules of Butifar (butyric acid, sodium butyrate) 4 months ago. We got both very constipated and still haven't recovered. What should we do to recover?” and that discouraged me from trying it.

Elie

Forum Supporter
Very interesting study on Sodium Butyrate and weight loss/inflammation.

The researchers fed mice a high fat diet(HFD) and gave some of them Sodium butyrate (I think it was 5% of the diet) as a supplement.

Not only did the butyrate +HFD-mice weigh less (~20%) than the HFD-mice, they weighed even less than the control group, receiving a normal diet!
Plus they ate about 10% more food than the control animals.
View attachment 40687

Eating more food and gaining less weight. Sounds familiar ? ...maybe there's some uncoupling going on.

This is corroborated by the fact that the butyrate +HFD-mice had the same amount of total fat than the controls, but less white fat. So the rest was probably brown (or beige) fat, which is known for higher levels of heat production/uncoupling than white fat.

View attachment 40688

So sodium butyrate might have induced a higher state of uncoupling in those animals.
The full text shows UCP1 was almost non-existent HFD mice ,while it was restored to control levels in the butyrate-mice.
They also showed no reduction of lean mass, which is typical for uncoupling and the reason why DNP is so popular amognst body builders.

The butyrate-fed mice also showed better glucose tolerance and lower overall inflammation, which might just be a result of lower systemic endotoxin levels, through butyrate's abilty to decrease intestinal permeability,
As the authors explain:

"Earlier reports have shown gut leakage and increased LPS in circulation is the primary cause of setting up inflammation at the tissue level."

Do you think this effect is specific to sodium butyrate or any butyrate salt will do? calcium butyrate, magnesium butyrate?

Perry Staltic

Do you think this effect is specific to sodium butyrate or any butyrate salt will do? calcium butyrate, magnesium butyrate?

I don't think it's specific to the salt. Butyrate itself is what feeds colonocytes, promotes tight-junction proteins between them and moderates the gut mucosal layer.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

About a year ago I wanted to try it (a sodium butyrate supplement called Butifar) but then I read a local review that said “My husband and I took a few capsules of Butifar (butyric acid, sodium butyrate) 4 months ago. We got both very constipated and still haven't recovered. What should we do to recover?” and that discouraged me from trying it.
I think it can be a double edged sword.
Not sure what those two experienced, Butyrate is part of butter and other foods ,so it appears naturally in our diets.
And the amount of studies it has behind it ,is insane.

I tried it yesterday for the first time and it already has a big impact on me:

- increased BMs from 1 to 4 (no diarrhea)
- feeling kinda tired/relaxed ,but still getting lots done
-mind is more clear (its anti-inflammatory to the brain)
- muscles look a lot fuller and bigger
- feel more social and calm ,less stressed

I think they all should be fine.

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I thought the way butyrate makes me feel kind of reminded me of acetazolamide and surprisingly it does seem to have some carbonic anhydrase inhibiting properties .

"While chloride ions specifically inhibit the ;low activity' component of guinea-pig carbonic anhydrase (I(0.5) = 40 mM), acetate, butyrate and pyruvate inhibit both isoenzymes."

"... while butyrate is more strongly inhibitory to the ;high activity' isoenzyme.5."

Didn't know there's more than 2 isoenzymes of carbonic anhydrase
...increasing CO2 levels in the gut is good, which has been shown to be helpfull against leaky gut . I think CO2 also has anti-microbial effects.

Last edited:

Elie

Forum Supporter
I think it can be a double edged sword.
Not sure what those two experienced, Butyrate is part of butter and other foods ,so it appears naturally in our diets.
And the amount of studies it has behind it ,is insane.

I tried it yesterday for the first time and it already has a big impact on me:

- increased BMs from 1 to 4 (no diarrhea)
- feeling kinda tired/relaxed ,but still getting lots done
-mind is more clear (its anti-inflammatory to the brain)
- muscles look a lot fuller and bigger
- feel more social and calm ,less stressed

I think they all should be fine.
which form and how much did you take?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

which form and how much did you take?
I take sodium butyrate mostly.
One capsule has 550mg sodium butyrate
And 170mg butyrate.

Ben.

Tried it before but cant say it did much. Smells/tastes like butter but way more intense and offputting. Since my digestion sucks both in the upper and lower end of it i was thinking about trying a butyrate enema or less annoyingly a selfmade suppositorium.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Tried it before but cant say it did much. Smells/tastes like butter but way more intense and offputting. Since my digestion sucks both in the upper and lower end of it i was thinking about trying a butyrate enema or less annoyingly a selfmade suppositorium.
I've seen a human study where people with IBS reported great results because of butyrate-enemas.

DrJ

@Mauritio thanks for posting as I've been reading on butyrate lately. But I've taken the strategy of eating resistant starch since it is supposed to cause bacteria to create it in the colon. Seems to be working well. I feel very calm but ready. Easy no wipe BMs lol. The tape measurement at my bellybutton is decreasing. I also notice better muscle tone but wasn't sure if it was due to this but I'm glad you mentioned it.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio thanks for posting as I've been reading on butyrate lately. But I've taken the strategy of eating resistant starch since it is supposed to cause bacteria to create it in the colon. Seems to be working well. I feel very calm but ready. Easy no wipe BMs lol. The tape measurement at my bellybutton is decreasing. I also notice better muscle tone but wasn't sure if it was due to this but I'm glad you mentioned it.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
What resistant starch are you consuming ?

Btw I'm only at day2 ,so far from reaching a conclusion, but so far I like it.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Autistic individuals have lower levels of butyrate producing bacteria.

"We identified decreased abundances of key butyrate-producing taxa (Ruminococcaceae, Eubacterium, Lachnospiraceae and Erysipelotrichaceae) and an increased abundance of valeric acid associated bacteria (Acidobacteria) among autistic individuals."
(Altered gut microbiota and short chain fatty acids in Chinese children with autism spectrum disorder - PubMed)

It also increases sociability by targeting dopamine D2 receptor and GABA-related Genes.
(Sodium butyrate attenuates social behavior deficits and modifies the transcription of inhibitory/excitatory genes in the frontal cortex of an autism model - PubMed)

PeskyPeater

Butyrate enhances the production of nitric oxide in mouse vascular endothelial cells in response to gamma interferon - PubMed

Abstract​

The effect of butyrate, a natural bacterial product of colonic bacterial flora, on nitric oxide (NO) production in murine vascular endothelial cell line END-D in response to IFN-gamma and/or LPS was studied. Butyrate significantly augmented NO production in END-D cells in response to IFN-gamma or IFN-gamma + LPS, but not LPS alone. The NO production was augmented by the addition of butyrate until 6 h after the stimulation with IFN-gamma or IFN-gamma + LPS. The augmentation was abolished by the removal of butyrate from the cultures. Butyrate enhanced the expression of inducible type NO synthase (iNOS) in the stimulated END-D cells. Furthermore, butyrate-enhanced NO production in the presence of various signal inhibitors down-regulating the signal pathways using nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB, mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinases and Janus tyrosine kinase. The putative mechanism of butyrate-induced augmentation of NO production in response to IFN-gamma or IFN-gamma + LPS is discussed.

PeskyPeater

Butyrate can have good effects depending on the state of gut health. In compromised immune function it can help up-regulate mediators to act antibacterial.
Otherwise it can potentiate inflammatory responses that are not always welcome in the case of endotoxins effects and IBS.
I would be cautious about supplementing it, if it's not broke don't fix it.
Previous studies have resulted in highly divergent results depending on the experimental setup, so our major concern was to test the impact of n-butyrate in a model using primary human monocytes stimulated with TLR2 and TLR4 agonists, which resembles the stimulatory conditions in the gastrointestinal tract. Previously it has been shown on the one hand that this bacterial fermentation product inhibits COX-2 activation in HT-29 and other colon cancer cell lines.29,30 On the other hand, it has been found that n-butyrate potentiates LPS-induced COX-2-induced gene expression at the transcriptional level in murine macrophages.31 Furthermore Iida et al. have shown that butyric acid increases expression of COX-1 and COX-2 in rat osteoblasts and induces PGE2 production.32
In conclusion, we have demonstrated that n-butyrate potently up-regulates expression of key enzymes and receptors of the eicosanoid pathway when activated via bacterial stimulation, leading to an increased release of PGE2, 15d-PGJ2, LTB4 and thromboxane B2. Through selective induction of several eicosanoid mediators and up-regulation of its receptors we speculate that such effects of SCFAs might contribute to the generation of the gut intrinsic milieu, thereby specifically regulating the local gastrointestinal immune response. Eicosanoid modulation by the short-chain fatty acid n-butyrate in human monocytes

DrJ

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
What resistant starch are you consuming ?

Btw I'm only at day2 ,so far from reaching a conclusion, but so far I like it.
Frozen potatoes. They have to be blanched before freezing so this creates resistant starch in them apparently since heat -> cool -> resistant starch. My dog is getting them too and his digestion is improving as well lol

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Butyrate can have good effects depending on the state of gut health. In compromised immune function it can help up-regulate mediators to act antibacterial.
Otherwise it can potentiate inflammatory responses that are not always welcome in the case of endotoxins effects and IBS.
I would be cautious about supplementing it, if it's not broke don't fix it.
That is not reflected in the animal studies I've seen, actually they show quite the opposite.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Frozen potatoes. They have to be blanched before freezing so this creates resistant starch in them apparently since heat -> cool -> resistant starch. My dog is getting them too and his digestion is improving as well lol
Haha interesting.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals