Sleeping Pills That Don't Increase Serotonin?

nostalgic

My high cortisol levels wake me up more than once per hour and it's making me feel awful. Are there any sleeping aids that don't increase serotonin? I was thinking of cycling a couple of them to not build a tolerance. Thanks in advance.

biggirlkisss

have to you tried eatting before and bright light before bed. You should try everything first before sleep aids. Some made me have awful amd mood and risk of qt problems

Arnold Grape

Once your metabolism/ glycogen storage is more stable, I would try .5 Unisom Sleep Tab (not the gel tablet), before bed. As above, it is also beneficial to eat something containing fat and have a small amount of sugar. I tried Cypro after experimenting with the aforementioned and it could have been too intense for me? For some reason it did not help my sleep as good as I thought it might.

Frankdee20

There’s plenty of sleep aids out there, affinities for Serotonin vary, but these are typically via antagonism. Low dose Trazadone and Seroquell and Remeron all induce sleep via Histamine blockade, 5ht effects are dose dependent. Of course there’s the Benzo like sleep aids Lunesta and Ambien. The tricyclic antidepressant Elavil has been known to knock people out at low doses. Natural remedies include Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, what about Magnesium Glycinate or Taurate ?

ddjd

cyproheptadine, ritanserin, diphenhydramine will all knock you out and reduce serotonin/hitamine

thomas00

My high cortisol levels wake me up more than once per hour and it's making me feel awful.

"Cyproheptadine is not a hormone, but has effects on certain endocrine systems in man, possibly as a result of its anti serotonin activity. It acts centrally to reduce ACTH secretion and thus tends to cause modest reductions in adrenal corticosteroid output and plasma cortisol levels."

http://www.aspenpharma.com.au/product_info/pi/Periactin_PI_17Nov11.pdf

Haidut has mentioned pregnenolone combined with niacinamide can be a potent sedative. I don't recall the dosage. Perhaps you could ask him.

Peater

Based on personal experience, promethazine hydrochloride (Sominex) is an effective anti-histamine sleeping tablet too.

I'm not worried about serotonin from an occasional dose - I mean if I was that low serotonin to begin with, maybe I wouldn't have sleep issues anyway, so I'd rather just take it (if required) and have a decent nights sleep.

OP
N

nostalgic

have to you tried eatting before and bright light before bed. You should try everything first before sleep aids. Some made me have awful amd mood and risk of qt problems

Once your metabolism/ glycogen storage is more stable, I would try .5 Unisom Sleep Tab (not the gel tablet), before bed. As above, it is also beneficial to eat something containing fat and have a small amount of sugar. I tried Cypro after experimenting with the aforementioned and it could have been too intense for me? For some reason it did not help my sleep as good as I thought it might.

I've tried Cyproheptadine but it didn't help very much, I think I need something stronger. Eating right before bed doesn't help either.

Olanzapine helps a bit but not enough.

Arnold Grape

How much Cypro did you take? -I think it has some type or paradoxical effect, meaning that on nights I doses higher than others it worked less than if I took a smaller amount. In either case I think glycogen storage is the culprit and it takes some trying to improve.

OP
N

nostalgic

There’s plenty of sleep aids out there, affinities for Serotonin vary, but these are typically via antagonism. Low dose Trazadone and Seroquell and Remeron all induce sleep via Histamine blockade, 5ht effects are dose dependent. Of course there’s the Benzo like sleep aids Lunesta and Ambien. The tricyclic antidepressant Elavil has been known to knock people out at low doses. Natural remedies include Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, what about Magnesium Glycinate or Taurate ?
Magnesium gives me anxiety and a very uncomfortable hypotension. Remeron has caused serotonin syndrome in a few persons, and since I'm extremely sensitive to anything that raises serotonin I don't want to risk it. Ambien sounds interesting, are you sure it doesn't increase serotonin? Hard to find info on the net.

OP
N

nostalgic

How much Cypro did you take? -I think it has some type or paradoxical effect, meaning that on nights I doses higher than others it worked less than if I took a smaller amount. In either case I think glycogen storage is the culprit and it takes some trying to improve.
I only tried small doses up to 2mg, but I don't think that something as simple as an antihistamine can solve my insomnia.

thomas00

Some people on this forum have reported ill effects with glycine but not with gelatin. Can you handle gelatin?

Mauritio

could cetrizine help ? (anti histamine)

biggirlkisss

yes it should some say the second generation benefits go away wtih time and you switch i dunno cereizine helped me and it didnt have i was told by nurse flouride or w/e in it i dont think icant remember the two that go together that damage liver health. It can cause liver damage unknown why but safelty studies were done up to 60mg so. heart safe it appears.

Mauritio

yes it should some say the second generation benefits go away wtih time and you switch i dunno cereizine helped me and it didnt have i was told by nurse flouride or w/e in it i dont think icant remember the two that go together that damage liver health. It can cause liver damage unknown why but safelty studies were done up to 60mg so. heart safe it appears.
yeah i would only use it occasionly anyway.

does somebody know why melatonin used to give me super good sleep and now makes more restless ?

biggirlkisss

dunno ray said 3mg are safe I would stay away and look at other things like eatting before bed sleeping with light on. sunlight throughout the day one time my mom dog fall alseep on the ground from sunlight. I notice people in summer time sleeping in cars etc i think there adrenaline is too high and it drops from sunlight/ maybe infared warm weather a little bit and body tries to repair itself.

tara

I've tried Cyproheptadine but it didn't help very much, I think I need something stronger.
1/3 of a 'unisom' (diphenhydramine) made me sleep for 8 hrs, when I tried it for other reasons. The other 2/3 made me sleep for 12 hours.

Eating right before bed doesn't help either.
For some people it works better to not eat close to sleeping, but to make sure to eat enough earlier in the day. (If you are not eating enough, then high stress hormones would be an expected adaptation.)

Can't remember if you mentioned your breathing. Unless someone has confirmed that you always sleep with your mouth shut, have you tried a chin strap at night? Mouth-breathing at night can raise the stress.

Are you sleeping warm enough (especially feet) but not too hot? Overheating can keep me awake.

I only tried small doses up to 2mg, but I don't think that something as simple as an antihistamine can solve my insomnia.
Have you read about it? I think Haidut started a long thread on it. It has a record of helping with much more than just obvious antihistamine relief. I'm not saying you should use it, but if you want something stronger, and you've only used 2mg, then you could try an experiment with more. I found 4mg made me more sleepy than 2mg when i tried it for other reasons.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals