After Effects Of "Serotonin Syndrome" - Advice Please!

RayLight

Hi Everyone,

Let me start by saying Greetings! Thanks for introducing me to Ray Peat. I have looked at this site for some time, searching for ways to lower my serotonin levels after having drug-induced Serotonin Syndrome and Bipolar II like symptoms, and consequently food tryptophan sensitivity that keeps returning me to serotonin toxicity.

This happened in September 2012, I got better with time, but then tried Lithium Orotate a year ago (which I then found 'enhances serotonin release') and prescribed Lamotrigine (part SSRI) just a few months ago, both were huge set-backs sending me nearly back to square one each time.

I'm on prescribed Seroquel 300mg, but its not enough anymore and I can't raise it due to motor tics (dopamine antagonism). I want to come off this ASAP. I was taking rather a lot of Cyproheptadine, but it made me sleep too much and my working/short term memory went to hell.

When I was in a really bad state, one of the the worst agitation/feeling of my life caused by Lamotrigine a few months ago, the worst foods which made it come back as a direct effect of eating them was eggs, yogurt, avocado, red lentils, and chicken.

I've been using BCAA's to block tryptophan's transport to the brain, which I found out about on this site. It seems to work, but I do have questions: Do you have to take it before meals, or can it be between meals? I am on 10g (5g taken 2x per day) (I am about 55 KG).

My BCAA's ran out before I was able to get more, so I tried going without them and became pretty much hypomanic for about a week, which has really been great, but really I need to control it. I don't know how much of that was dopamine and how much serotonin, but the other day I began to feel sick and mild serotonin toxicity so I had 12mg cyproheptadine. I also added L-Tyrosine on the days I couldn't concentrate, but I'm not sure about taking it every day yet.

I started BCAA's again, combined with 4-5g Taurine daily. Would it be a good idea to increase the taurine? if I'm hypomanic, I often feel like I have a crash without it at the end of the day (I do not drink tea or coffee).

Right now I'm pulling out all the stops and going on a serious diet. I've ordered hydrolysed Gelatin (great lakes) to be my main protein source - how much daily would work? I eat wheat, corn, potato, rice, vegetables, fruits (except banana) and salads. I consume a lot of virgin coconut oil in cooking, as well as real butter on toast.

Another consequence of high levels of serotonin in my gut is Gastritis (stomach lining inflammation) that has persisted for 10 months, and I have been on Omeprazole 40mg every day all this time. I recently had an endoscopy, and its the kind of thing doctors expect to get better after less than 1 month. Then I found studies that show that 5-HT3 receptors are involved in mediating gastrointestinal inflammation and nausea which I had been having a lot of. It got a lot better when I got on to the BCAA's and then came back in full force when I ran out of them and I became hypomanic. Then I read that L-Lysine actually has an anti-anxiety effect by reducing serotonin in the amygdala, and has anti-gastro-inflammation activity due to its antagonistic action on 5-HT4 receptors, so I've ordered some to try.

And what about Ondansetron (Zofran)? Has anyone tried it? It is a supposed 'selective' 5-HT3 antagonist normally used for chemo-nausea which also reduces anxiety in the brain. It is available as a cheap generic online from Asia.

However, I'm always sceptical about trying new drugs. I have to be extra cautious due to my sensitivity and past mistakes and catastrophe's with various drugs, and it seems there are so many possible unknowns. If serotonin antagonists stop serotonin from binding to receptors, could that serotonin just bind somewhere else like a different receptor more than usual?

I'd be very interested in obtaining some Fenclonine (para-chloro-phenylalanine / DL-4-chloro-phenylalanine). A contact of mine recommended pipharm.com (Chinese) having used them once, but I only have a residential address to use, no company address - should I make one up? I think they probably won't care if I'm an individual. Wouldn't want my made up company name on the address label though. They definitely produce it, at 98% purity.

I've also been looking at Keppra (levetiracetam), and a lot of reports state it can throw you in a dark hole of depression, maybe this is due to some anti-serotonin action, maybe even on it's production in the brain...

Wikipedia states that "the drug binds to a synaptic vesicle glycoprotein, SV2A, and inhibits presynaptic calcium channels reducing neurotransmitter release and acting as a neuromodulator. This is believed to impede impulse conduction across synapses."

I don't fully understand that mechanism, can anyone explain it more simply? If Keppra would lower my serotonin, then hopefully it would not be another disaster. I may not risk it, I feel like I'm doing pretty well at the moment, seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I just need to stop the build up of serotonin in my body and brain.

I know this is a long post so thanks for your time and valued advice!

Ray of Light

aguilaroja

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot going of here and at present just a few points will be mentioned.

Since there seem by report to be substantial difficulties, and some medications with strong effects, please work closely with your health care providers.

The question domains involve neuro-pharmaceutical and orthomolecular issues that have many web forums. The discussions on this site tend to stay closer to Dr. Peat's basic work. Dr. Peat has indeed raised awareness about the hazards of serotonin excess.

You might scan through the site and links, with emphasis on Dr. Peat's direct works. Going through an inventory of hypothyroid symptoms, and tracking pulse and temperature might help see if the perceived serotonin issue here is part of the context of low metabolism.

You might look up Peter Whybrow's work in relation to thyroid & bipolar, though he used T4 only, rather than a T4/T3 combination. If thorough thyroid and metabolic lab testing has not been done recently, it would be good to discuss with your provider. Search the forum for lab work related to Dr. Peat's ideas.

BCAA's, and single form amino acids, seem to have clearer effects when taken apart from meals, rather than with meals. Taking before or between meals is fairly equivalent. Each provides spacing. The orthomolecular view is that a little B6 will aid the amino acid effect.

In the short term, it is suggested to start by adding the gelatin before maneuvering with differ pharmaceuticals. Gelatin may boost the protein, soothe digestion, steady the mood and reduce serotonin excess. No miracles are promised-beneficial possibilities are noted.

I'd suggest as a start to keep the gelatin at less than 15 or 20 grams of protein per day, rather than making it the sole protein source. There are just a lot of variables here, and gradual changes may go smoother. While those I know have done well with gelatin, some forum posts note digestive difficulties, more so with the non-hydrolysate form. As you may have read, grated carrot salad can soothe digestion and boost metabolism.

Don't use Xxx-prazoles, they all contain titanium dioxide, cause malnutrition, constipation and worsen hypothyroidism. Cyproheptadine takes all symptoms away for over twelve hours and eventually forever. Chamomille is also good to moderate digestive juice, relaxes the cardia however.

Curt :-)

You mentioned eating wheat, corn, vegetables and salads. Personally, I would stay away from any food high in fibre or hard to digest, particularly gluten.

kayumochi

I've also been looking at Keppra (levetiracetam), and a lot of reports state it can throw you in a dark hole of depression, maybe this is due to some anti-serotonin action, maybe even on it's production in the brain...

Wikipedia states that "the drug binds to a synaptic vesicle glycoprotein, SV2A, and inhibits presynaptic calcium channels reducing neurotransmitter release and acting as a neuromodulator. This is believed to impede impulse conduction across synapses."

I don't fully understand that mechanism, can anyone explain it more simply? If Keppra would lower my serotonin, then hopefully it would not be another disaster. I may not risk it, I feel like I'm doing pretty well at the moment, seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I just need to stop the build up of serotonin in my body and brain.

I know this is a long post so thanks for your time and valued advice!

Ray of Light

My brother suffers from "Keppra Rage" and it is not pretty.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals