Sleeping Pills That Don't Increase Serotonin?

DavidGardner

I only tried small doses up to 2mg, but I don't think that something as simple as an antihistamine can solve my insomnia.

You might be surprised. I can't comment on cypro because I haven't taken it, but try taking 25 mg of doxylamine, which you can get over the counter either generic or as Unisom. If antihistamines really don't work for you, maybe talk to your doctor about quetiapine. It should help with your serotonin issues too.

tara

I can't comment on cypro because I haven't taken it, but try taking 25 mg of doxylamine, which you can get over the counter either generic or as Unisom.
Looks like 'Unisom' might be different things in different places.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Unisom comes as two versions where I live in the U.S.. One is as doxylamine and one is diphenhydramine so I have to read the labels carefully.
Looks like 'Unisom' might be different things in different places.

DavidGardner

Interesting. Doxylamine is definitely the stronger of the two. That's why I recommended it if OP is doubtful of antihistamines. Unless you have a paradoxical reaction to anticholinergics, I don't see how anyone could stay awake on 25 mg of doxylamine.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Interesting. Doxylamine is definitely the stronger of the two. That's why I recommended it if OP is doubtful of antihistamines. Unless you have a paradoxical reaction to anticholinergics, I don't see how anyone could stay awake on 25 mg of doxylamine.
1/2 of a pill is plenty for me.

DavidGardner

Me too. In fact more than enough. The sedative effect is stronger to me than a benzo. Maybe I was just setting OP up for a surprise. ;)

Mauritio

Unisom comes as two versions where I live in the U.S.. One is as doxylamine and one is diphenhydramine so I have to read the labels carefully.
i think diphenhydramine increases serotonin, thats why im going to stop using it . besides that do you know if there are any downsides of Doxylamine-usage ? i am going through a tough insomnia period and this one used to work for me (also like half or one fourth of tablet was enough for me).

Blossom

Forum Supporter
think diphenhydramine increases serotonin,
True. I believe it is in higher doses than typical but still possible if one takes too much. It's been discussed before on the forum and I'm sure I can find it with a quick search.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
As such, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is one of them since in doses of 150mg+ it has very pronounced SSRI effects. Some people are even using it as over the counter "Prozac" of sorts.
i think diphenhydramine increases serotonin, thats why im going to stop using it . besides that do you know if there are any downsides of Doxylamine-usage ? i am going through a tough insomnia period and this one used to work for me (also like half or one fourth of tablet was enough for me).
I found this that mentions 150mg but I thought it could increase serotonin at even less than that amount-

Mauritio

I found this that mentions 150mg but I thought it could increase serotonin at even less than that amount-
I used one pill the last five days and today i felt like a zombie most of the day and had people commenting on me not beeing "there" and stuff like that ... could just be tiredness. but i like to stay on the safe side and not get too much serotonin. thats why ill probably go back to Doxylamine,since its allergy season anyway :D

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used one pill the last five days and today i felt like a zombie most of the day and had people commenting on me not beeing "there" and stuff like that ... could just be tiredness. but i like to stay on the safe side and not get too much serotonin. thats why ill probably go back to Doxylamine,since its allergy season anyway :D
Sounds like a great plan!

fradon

ddjd

There’s plenty of sleep aids out there, affinities for Serotonin vary, but these are typically via antagonism. Low dose Trazadone and Seroquell and Remeron all induce sleep via Histamine blockade, 5ht effects are dose dependent. Of course there’s the Benzo like sleep aids Lunesta and Ambien. The tricyclic antidepressant Elavil has been known to knock people out at low doses. Natural remedies include Valerian, Hops, Passion Flower, what about Magnesium Glycinate or Taurate ?
what does ray say about natural GABA agonists like passion flower, California poppy, and skull cap

Frankdee20

what does ray say about natural GABA agonists like passion flower, California poppy, and skull cap

He definitely spoke once about Valerian on that radio show. Nothing bad to say about it. Valerian is a blocker of 5ht5 and increases GAD enzyme, raises GABA

Frankdee20

Passion Flower has MAO I alkaloids like Harmala.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals