6 Years Later, Sleep Temperature Is Still The Only Thing That Works

L

lollipop

To the OP, your experience resonates with mine a great deal. Over the years I have tried dozens of diets to fix my hormonal problems. My metric of whether something works or not has to do with the quality of my erections. Back when I had low testosterone, I would never wake up with morning erections. One day I noticed that whenever I went camping I almost always woke up with strong morning erections. I slept in a warm sleeping bag at the time, which really held the heat in. Realizing this, I tried sleeping in a sleeping bag at home, along with wool socks and pajamas- it worked! I also noticed that sleeping with the window cracked to bring fresh air in helps improve sleep for me (but not really an option in the winter). Indoor air quality diminishes after only a few days, so regularly airing out your bedroom can help. Taking a warm bath before bed can lower cortisol and help you sleep better and warmer.

Sleeping warm shifts the nervous system to the parasympathetic, lowering cortisol and moving blood into the periphery of the body. Blood flow in the periphery of the body is regenerative to vital tissues/organs. According to Haidut, people hundreds of years ago considered cold temperatures a risk to health. They would try to avoid it at all costs, bundling up, putting towels at the base of doors, covering up windows that have drafts, often having sleep wear with socks and caps. Back then it was just common knowledge. People also slept much longer in the winter like up to 14-16 hours per day. The longer you are in bed, the more time you have to become and stay warm. Sometimes the ambient cold temperatures can make it difficult to fall and stay asleep, especially in those prone to insomnia or hypothyroidism. Some people take longer to warm up. For these people having extra time to sleep can help a great deal. Poor sleep duration is a common cause of low morning temperatures. Even the though of having to wake up in a short period of time (like six hours for example) can prevent normal sleep rhythms and cause anxiety, impairing REM cycles.

Years ago, my low T was induced by both inadequate calories and insomnia. Increasing calorie intake and learning not to give a **** were some of the best things I've ever done. I learned to shift my thoughts from "great it's 2:30am and I'm here lying in bed unable to sleep, and I have to wake up in three hours," to "this bed is so comfortable, I don't give a **** if I sleep only two hours tonight, those two hours are going to be amazing." So in many ways metabolism is not just about diet strategies but also lifestyle and even our thoughts. Since thoughts have an effect on our cortisol levels, it's no wonder why so many people have thyroid problems today. People are not prioritizing down time at night without television. Blue light at nigh stimulates cortisol release and prolongs the onset of REM sleep.

Orthomolecular diet strategies never really worked for me. Pretty much the only main things I follow pretty religiously from Peat are eating as little PUFA as possible and striving to control endotoxin levels through various means (raw carrots, easily digestible foods, fasting occasionally). After I gravitated to Matt Stone, things began to improve for me a great deal. He has been wrong about a lot of things over the years, but his most recent work (before he retired from writing health articles and books) worked for me. Focus on your urine color. If your urine is clear, drink less fluids. Your urine should have some yellow in it. This goes against what Peat talks about with drinking so much milk and orange juice, but it really works. So many people who follow Peat are drinking a ton of fluids and ignoring their bodies talking to them. I suspect that this is one of the main reasons why people fail to bring their temperatures up following Peat's work.

Try eating solid foods (heck even bread and pasta if you have to). Ensure adequate sodium intake as well. Making sure that your pee is yellow should make you feel a lot warmer and bring your temperatures up. When you drink less fluids, you actually don't need to eat so many calories to increase your metabolic rate. The water content of food increases the need for calories for thermogenesis. So no, you don't have to erroneously chase a high calorie diet and get fat in the name of health. I suggest checking out Matt's book "Eat for Heat" if you are interested in bringing temps up through food. It was a real eye-opener for me, and most of it is pretty obvious, but you will see the errors in drinking copious amounts of fluids and not eating enough solid food.

P.S. I no longer sleep in a sleeping bag in my bedroom. I have a space heater in my room to ensure the room is warm in the winter. I also have fleece/flannel sheets. And believe it or not, making your bed, and curling the top sheets under the mattress help keep the heat in- go figure! I guess our mothers were right about the importance making our bed.
Very thoughtful post @stevensmith.

OP
MyUsernameHere
@stevensmith Somehow I totally missed your write-up. It's late so I'll make a follow up tomorrow, but let me just say that the thing you say about erections/libido is 100% true.
When I sleep cold(er than I should), I have almost ZERO libido the next day. DEAD. Along with feeling anxious, brain-fogged, fueled by adrenaline.
When I wrap up and sleep super-warm, the next day, there's a lot going on down there... I'm sure you know what I mean, just feels 'active', lol. I feel like I make more testosterone when I sleep warm too. And I feel much more relaxed, no anxious thoughts, more friendly, less stressed, talkative. Just super nice.

Still I suppose that ideally thyroid should take care of these things and hopefully once it's up to speed I will no longer need a bunch of thick clothing every night (I'm not even sure how I'd explain that to a partner if I wasn't single right now. Duh.) Hopefully I can fix it soon.

stevrd

Very thoughtful post @stevensmith.

Thank you. I think it's helpful to find parallels in others' experiences to try and find patterns.

@stevensmith Somehow I totally missed your write-up. It's late so I'll make a follow up tomorrow, but let me just say that the thing you say about erections/libido is 100% true.
When I sleep cold(er than I should), I have almost ZERO libido the next day. DEAD. Along with feeling anxious, brain-fogged, fueled by adrenaline.
When I wrap up and sleep super-warm, the next day, there's a lot going on down there... I'm sure you know what I mean, just feels 'active', lol. I feel like I make more testosterone when I sleep warm too. And I feel much more relaxed, no anxious thoughts, more friendly, less stressed, talkative. Just super nice.

Still I suppose that ideally thyroid should take care of these things and hopefully once it's up to speed I will no longer need a bunch of thick clothing every night (I'm not even sure how I'd explain that to a partner if I wasn't single right now. Duh.) Hopefully I can fix it soon.

@MyUsernameHere, have you tried supplementing with magnesium, gelatin, and/or niacinamide/aspirin at night? I have a theory that as REM quality improves so does sleep temperature. I have not searched hard for studies confirming this, but I'm sure they're out there. I was virtually a non-responder to thyroid supplements for a long time. I would sometimes even take up to 4 grains of NDT a day and my temps hardly budged. It wasn't until I began taking either aspirin or niacinamide with thyroid when I began to see my temps climb. I gradually lowered thyroid dose and am now not taking any unless I have consistent low temperatures for more than a few days. I also found that aspirin/niacinamide is more effective at raising temps for me.

Basically since free fatty acids (especially with PUFA) block thyroid hormone transport, uptake, and conversion, taking aspirin/niacinamide lowers free fatty acids so that thyroid can do it's job. This of course is best looked at as a temporary measure until you gradually rid yourself of PUFA over the course of a few years or so.

Anyways, eating most of my calories from solid foods that have good palatability and are very easily digestible has made the most impact on my health, more than any drug or supplement. But I can feel a difference when I take any of the things mentioned here for sure. Sleep quality improves a lot and so do waking temps. They certainly are worth a try.

I sleep in a recliner so it is inclined. Wearing a warm cap helps a lot. People used to sleep with caps on and it is a good idea today.

Daniel11

Forum Supporter
For someone whose brain set-points are otherwise correct, yes, that is exactly what it is. It still beats feeling shitty all the time. Band-aids have their place and time as well, they help you cope until you get to the root of the problem.

However as I mentioned, a 5 day session of red light has enabled me to wear less clothing overnight while maintaining the same level of well-being. I figure with enough of these sessions, I can restore my thyroid function enough to be able to sleep in light sleep-wear like I used to, even during winter, and maintain a normal sleep temperature.

I feel supplementing with iodine and selenium goes well with Photobiomodulation of orange/red wavelengths over the thyroid.

I know not everyone on the forum likes iodine, but i do, i like Nascent Iodine, you only usually need few drops a day and take for few months then give a break, its important to take selenium at same time as taking iodine.

After some research i settled on these brands.

Nascent Iodine | Potent Thyroid Support, Detoxifier, Metabolic Nutrient

http://selenoexcell.com/how-selenoexcell-works/

Every one is at different point in their healing process, you each have to use your intuition and knowledge to decide if this is the right time for you to take these supplements, they will increase your metabolism and you will need to increase/adapt your nutrition.

@MyUsernameHere This seems like a huge red flag to me health wise. It is not normal to need to sleep in a jacket and hat. I know you mentioned being hypothyroid but I wonder if you have some kind of concurrent issue going on. A couple things come to mind. Have you had your cortisol tested? Adrenals? A quick google search for "symptoms cold intolerance" brought up results for Fibromyalgia. Or possibly hypopituitarism? Which could mean you have multiple hormones that are low not just thyroid. I have had terrible health problems for the last decade and have noticed myself sometimes just adapting my life to work around illness rather than persisting with Dr.s to find out what is really going on. I would encourage you not to just accept this as a normal way to live.

Vinny

It kills me to read this.
I used to be comfortable in bed years ago, girls in bed(like while resting) would comment how warm I was.

Now, I try to sleep warm, literally feet and hands hot, im uncomfortable no matter how much I try to tolerate it. I take my temp convinced im at 98+....just kidding 97.0-.2. It sucks. I wake up - 97.4 at the highest...

Calories, sugar, sat fats good, sodium and all peat things great. Even when im hot as hell im not even actually warm - what the hell is this sensation and my situation?

i wonder the same.
last nite i was burning in bed. took temp - 36.3 :(
what could be the reason for this? any ideas? how come you feel hot when, as you said, not even warm?

Scenes

i wonder the same.
last nite i was burning in bed. took temp - 36.3 :(
what could be the reason for this? any ideas? how come you feel hot when, as you said, not even warm?

I’ve been told feeling flushed, sweating and overheating can be because the body is trying to release heat rather than retain it, and is a sign of low thyroid and estrogen dominance.

Ideally you feel a warm toasty, comfortable sensation with redness/pink at the fingertips and a general feeling of wellbeing...not uncomfortably hot.

Vinny

I’ve been told feeling flushed, sweating and overheating can be because the body is trying to release heat rather than retain it, and is a sign of low thyroid and estrogen dominance.

Ideally you feel a warm toasty, comfortable sensation with redness/pink at the fingertips and a general feeling of wellbeing...not uncomfortably hot.
that makes sense. thanks.

Warrior

The ONLY thing that helps me feel remotely normal is just sleeping warm. As much clothing as I can put on myself overnight.

Have you ever tried using a weighted blanket? I get the feeling its not so much the clothing causing the sleep quality increase you experienced but the added pressure on skin which allows your overactive nervous system to relax.

The blankets work wonders in some people who have a particular arrangement of systemic stress symptoms as they reduce coritsol, increase melatonin and generally give the body a feeling of safety which allows it to switch off. Pick one around 10/15% of your body weight for best results as it was life changing for folks with PTSD as it switched their hyper-vigilance off and this in turn facilitated further healing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals