SLEEP

mrdannyg3

Sleep Report: Last night I again took some T3/T4 at bedtime and slept through. Thankful and surprised actually. Also had ice cream in evening. But I'm still staying up about an hour too late.
I've noticed for myself that I need more fat in the leadup to bedtime. I don't know what it is, it's like the fat is stabilizing blood sugar and slowing the metabolic rate down to allow sleep to happen. Ice cream is always on my list. Or I'll make a fruit smoothie shake with whole milk. So calcium is there as well in addition to fruit. The problem with me is I need a quantity of fat that literally makes me gain weight lol, I can feel it. But I won't start yawning in the evening and getting sleepy without heavier amounts of fat. I try to get to sleep without any supplements like aspirin or thyroid, but if all else fails I use 1/4 aspirin tablet and then maybe a drop of Tyromax. These usually make me sleepy.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I've noticed for myself that I need more fat in the leadup to bedtime. I don't know what it is, it's like the fat is stabilizing blood sugar and slowing the metabolic rate down to allow sleep to happen. Ice cream is always on my list. Or I'll make a fruit smoothie shake with whole milk. So calcium is there as well in addition to fruit. The problem with me is I need a quantity of fat that literally makes me gain weight lol, I can feel it. But I won't start yawning in the evening and getting sleepy without heavier amounts of fat. I try to get to sleep without any supplements like aspirin or thyroid, but if all else fails I use 1/4 aspirin tablet and then maybe a drop of Tyromax. These usually make me sleepy.
I hear you on the fat at night making you fat. That is why I have switched my heavy meal and meats to the daytime so I can afford to get in some fats at bedtime for sleep. I make that big bowl of ice cream my dinner. Adding ice cream on top of dinner would not work well for my figure either.

Birdie

I know what you mean too about not needing any weight gain! I use a small bowl for my ice cream, but still it's so easy to get too much. Ray said he was using low fat milk during the day, so he could eat his ice cream. I hate low fat milk. Am compromising by using about 1/3 low fat milk mixed with my whole. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
I know what you mean too about not needing any weight gain! I use a small bowl for my ice cream, but still it's so easy to get too much. Ray said he was using low fat milk so he could eat his ice cream. I hate low fat milk. Am compromising by using about 1/3 low fat milk mixed with my whole. We'll see how that goes.
This is why I make my own ice cream without cream or egg yolks and can have several bowls a day without weight gain. My recipe is linked below and it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble and get in the ice cream maker.

Birdie

Update: I took part of my Armour thyroid dose at bedtime again and slept through the night. I had about 1/4 cup vanilla ice cream. Still concerned about going back to eating ice cream because I can get addicted to it. When I have the time to make custard I'll do that.

Birdie

This is why I make my own without cream or egg yolks and can it several bowls a day without weight gain. My recipe is linked below and it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble and get in the ice cream maker.

Oh, thanks Rinse. I want the cream and egg yolks though. I used to use Ray's recipe but am just buying the H-D nowadays.

Ray's Ice cream (recipe)​

I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary.

Birdie

This is why I make my own ice cream without cream or egg yolks and can have several bowls a day without weight gain. My recipe is linked below and it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble and get in the ice cream maker.

You know, it isn't clear in Ray's Ice Cream Recipe whether he uses his low fat milk where he says "milk". Maybe he does and the coconut oil makes up for that along with the powdered milk. Do you think? Maybe everyone knows this but me!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Oh, thanks Rinse. I want the cream and egg yolks though. I used to use Ray's recipe but am just buying the H-D nowadays.

Ray's Ice cream (recipe)​

I blend an egg (warmed to 40 degrees C) with a cup of sugar (also warmed) and a cup of coconut oil until it's smoothly emulsified, and maybe half a cup of powdered milk for extra texture, then add milk to fill the blender (total volume a little over a liter), with strong coffee or orange juice for flavor, or other fruit or vanilla, etc. The high oil content, and powdered milk, make it freeze without crystallizing, so the ice cream machine isn't necessary.

Taste matters too much for me and a small bowl just won’t do for me. I eat a big spoonful of my homemade “Peaty Peanut Butter” and a spoonful of marmalade at bedtime for extra fat if I feel like I am lacking.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
You know, it isn't clear in Ray's Ice Cream Recipe whether he uses his low fat milk where he says "milk". Maybe he does and the coconut oil makes up for that along with the powdered milk. Do you think? Maybe everyone knows this but me!
I would think he would use low-fat or nonfat milk. He say too much fat with sugar together at the same time, in one meal, can cause weight gain.

mrdannyg3

I would think he would use low-fat or nonfat milk. He say too much fat with sugar together at the same time, in one meal, can cause weight gain.
This is exactly my problem. Must be the Randle Cycle. It would be so easy to lose weight if I didn't need heavy fat nighttime. During the day when fat is low, I slim down. Then there's some weight gain in the evening because I do bloat from the ice cream lol. But nothing else works before bed, I've tried many different avenues. Fat makes me sleepy, period. I thought that maybe it was just the calcium in the ice cream doing the trick, so I did experiments just using skim milk in a fruit smoothie for my pre-bed snack. Nope, no dice

Birdie

This is exactly my problem. Must be the Randle Cycle. It would be so easy to lose weight if I didn't need heavy fat nighttime. During the day when fat is low, I slim down. Then there's some weight gain in the evening because I do bloat from the ice cream lol. But nothing else works before bed, I've tried many different avenues. Fat makes me sleepy, period. I thought that maybe it was just the calcium in the ice cream doing the trick, so I did experiments just using skim milk in a fruit smoothie for my pre-bed snack. Nope, no dice
Your experience with fat at bedtime reinforces Ray's suggestion to use his Ice Cream Recipe with coconut oil as the fat.

Jennifer

Thank you for sharing how you make your ice cream, @Birdie. Do you think ghee would work okay in replace of the coconut oil? I'd rather use ghee for the extra fat soluble vitamins, if possible.

Birdie

Thank you for sharing how you make your ice cream, @Birdie. Do you think ghee would work okay in replace of the coconut oil? I'd rather use ghee for the extra fat soluble vitamins, if possible.
If you mean Ray's Ice Cream recipe, I used to make it, but have slowed down... I don't know if ghee would work in the recipe but worth a try.
Didn't he say also that the coconut oil would keep it from needing an ice cream machine though? With ghee it might be soft serve!

Jennifer

@Birdie, I'll give it a try then. If it turns out as soft serve, even better. I do recall Ray saying that an ice cream maker isn't needed with his recipe because of the coconut oil, yes.

Birdie

I couldn’t sleep with something heavy on me. I don’t like wearing long pants, wearing jackets or sweaters or like having heavy blankets on me, not because I get hot, but because they feel sort of claustrophobic. The weighted blanket I have was a gift. Mines is so heavy that I can barely carry it. I swear mine could kill a small child!
:laughing: Me too! Couldn't use one of those heavy blankets. I use (not now but in cooler weather) a little fleece baby blanket from Costco. Underneath I have my summer comforter. So I get a little coziness/security over my back - around clavicles and down to the sacral area. But it would be too hot now.

I've never been able to sleep under just a sheet.
Like you, I don't like pants either or any heavy jacket. Well, guess I'll be getting ads for shorts and light jackets now !

OP
Rinse & rePeat
:laughing: Me too! Couldn't use one of those heavy blankets. I use (not now but in cooler weather) a little fleece baby blanket from Costco. Underneath I have my summer comforter. So I get a little coziness/security over my back - around clavicles and down to the sacral area. But it would be too hot now.

I've never been able to sleep under just a sheet.
Like you, I don't like pants either or any heavy jacket. Well, guess I'll be getting ads for shorts and light jackets now !
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Birdie

@Rinse & rePeat have you emailed with Ray in the past couple of days?

I've heard something from my sister. I don't want to say here. Please let me know when you can.

Last edited:

Birdie

I have not e-mailed him for a few days. What do you want me to e-mail him about?
Thank you so much for reply. My sister had heard"he passed away". She wanted me to check it out. But, I didn't want to say anything that would start a rumor.

She just emailed that it was a false alarm. Whew

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Thank you so much for reply. My sister had heard"he passed away". She wanted me to check it out. But, I didn't want to say anything that would start a rumor.

She just emailed that it was a false alarm. Whew
Oh geez, that would be terrible!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals