SLEEP

joaquin

@Rinse & rePeat, have you tried some warm (whole) milk with honey or ice cream before bed? I've been transitioning my diet over to be closer to my post fracturing diet (mainly, full-fat dairy) and I'm finally sleeping through the night without needing so much cane sugar. I was having to increase my intake every few days to sleep through the night--I was up to 1.5 cups (300 g).
1.5 cups? Of cane sugar?

joaquin

I don’t think the artichoke hearts gave me noticeably better sleep last night. I did have them 4 hours before sleep with a little olive oil and salt. I had my homemade ice cream at bedtime last night too, with the zest of one orange in it, and though I slept comfortably, with no tossing or turning, I woke up every two hours again. Around 4:30 I took a milk thistle, because it worked well the other night, and I slept four more hours straight through, having a heavy dream about a horse with a branch stuck in the top of it’s leg. My dog was in the dream too, which is first time I have dreamed about her since she died 4 months ago. This past two weeks I am finally dreaming, which I think is good because I rarely dream. Milk thistle has gotten me back to sleep successfully both times I have tried it. I was feeling really groggy this morning again, wishing someone would bring me my coffee.
For a long time, perphaps thousands of years, man was know to have biphasic sleep. Folks would sleep for 3 or 4 hours then get up in the middle of the night and go outside to have conversation with the neighbour then come back in and sleep another 3 or 4 hours.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
For a long time, perphaps thousands of years, man was know to have biphasic sleep. Folks would sleep for 3 or 4 hours then get up in the middle of the night and go outside to have conversation with the neighbour then come back in and sleep another 3 or 4 hours.
I heard that recently too! That would be great if you had others to get up with you. Knowing that is a thing, I don’t panic now when I find myself wide awake.

joaquin

Sometimes I eat pinto beans in the afternoon and that seems to help with sleep.

Jennifer

1.5 cups? Of cane sugar?

Yep, 1.5 cups (300 g) of cane sugar. I'm down to 4 tablespoons since increasing my (dairy) fat intake substantially.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
@Rinse & rePeat I’m getting an idea of what you eat but mind doing a quick summary of the foods in your diet? Could be useful for those reading. Thanks

Sure!

I have pretty much cut out meat, except for braunschweiger (for liver) and pastured chicken wings boiled (to remove the PUFAs) and then broiled. I have switched back to whole raw milk because the nonfat l, with the added vitamin D, was giving me bad earaches. I eat lecithin free chocolates in the morning with my coffee and milk. I am eating tangelos cut up with a sprinkle of sugar, the zests of two to three oranges a day, usually on my daily homemade ice cream ( cream & egg free) which I too with sweet fresh blueberries. I have fresh squeezed and strained orange juice, usually with an egg yolk fried in a little coconut oil and butter, with a pinch of salt and curry powder. Once or twice a week I have a half teaspoon of loose cascara, in a tea, with marmalade before bed. I sometimes eat a spoonful of organic marmalade in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night. I eat sprouted brown rice cereal and milk in the middle of the day and/or iced coffee with raw white whipped honey. This past week I had a couple of sprouted oat pancakes, which I am keeping in my rotation, and if I splurge it is on an organic high butter croissant, but that has been a couple of weeks since I had one. I have homemade bone broth soups with just onion and Chinese 5-spice or powdered gelatin or collagen. I use to be a once a day meat girl, but with my new heavy milk and orange diet, meat weighs me down and slows down my digestion. I have been more “regular” on my new routine than I ever have in my whole life. I really only vary from my new routine if I go out to a restaurant or I have people over, which is a once or twice a week. Those are the only days I take Progest-E and baby aspirin. For vitamin K, I will nibble on fresh mint leaves, rinsed and sprinkled with sugar, or have artichoke hearts, a homemade broccoli or asparagus bone broth soup or the green water from steamed broccoli, or on rarer occasions, I take a couple of nettle or dandelion capsules. I have had a little crab a few times this past month, but I am just not in the mood for meat and seafood lately.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Sleep Deprivation and the Use of Heuristics The tendency to perceive physically attractive stimuli as possessing favorable traits is known as the what-is-beautiful-is-good heuristic21. Sleep-deprived participants gave a lower quality rating and were less likely to purchase the unattractive refrigerator than the participants who had slept. Those who had not slept therefore used the what-is-beautiful-is-good heuristic to a greater extent than did the controls. Greater reported fatigue predicted a higher quality rating for the attractive refrigerator and a rating of lower quality for the unattractive refrigerator. The use of the what-is-beautiful-is-good heuristic in the sleep-deprived participants may be explained by the elevated fatigue levels, or the use of this heuristic may reflect a common underlying physiological response to sleep deprivation.
The what-is-beautiful-is-good stereotype has been explored in a study of cognitive load37. When cognitive load was high, consumer products which were unattractive but paired with superior consumer reviews were deemed as low quality (i.e., judged through their negative physical appearance). When cognitive load was low, participants judged these products as higher quality (i.e., judged based on the favorable consumer review). Similarly, the participants in the present study likely experienced a limitation on cognitive resources and greater cognitive load due to sleep deprivation38 and judged the unattractive refrigerator with the favorable consumer review by its negative appearance rather than its favorable review. These findings are of considerable importance since sleep deprivation may result in heuristic processing and judgment based on appearance rather than the systematic, effortful processing of the important details of a stimulus. Such limitations in processing may influence judgment in critical situations in the workplace and personal settings. Future research may determine whether sleep deprivation affects stereotypic judgment of gender, age, and ethnicity.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Too little shuteye has been linked to increased risk of car crashes, poor work performance, and problems with mood and relationships. Sleep deprivation taxes the immune system, and is associated with a heightened risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, and depression. People who chronically fail to get enough sleep may actually be cutting their lives short.”

Z

Zsazsa

2 or 3 drops of orange blossom water (the one for cooking, not for skin treatment) on whatever you eat or drink before bed is a nice addition

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I had another straight eight hours of sleep last night, with long dreams this morning. I had my homemade ice cream with the orange peels again, but had it a couple of hours before bed this time. The nIght before last I had it right before bed and I woke up a couple hours later and had to get up for 20 minutes or so, and then slept straight through for 6 more hours without further assistance. My trouble could have also been a histamine issue from using leftover pancake batter from the day before because one of my sinuses was plugged up in the morning too. Still this past couple of weeks I have been having some of the best sleep I have had since forever ago. I am wondering how much my morning chocolate is helping my night time sleep?

“The study found that chocolate can influence everything from your appetite to sleep quality. Eating chocolate within an hour of getting up in the morning was linked with benefits when it comes to blood sugar levels and fat burning. On the flip side, eating chocolate right before bed was found to alter metabolism in the morning.”

Read More: Eating chocolate as soon as you wake up may have weight benefits - SlashGear

Last edited:
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Hmmm, this might be why sometimes taking dandelion, nettle or a vitamin K in the middle of the night to get back to sleep has works for me….

“When the environment is too stressful, or when nutrition isn't adequate, the organism may be unable to mobilize the opposing and complementary substances to stop their actions. In those situations, it can be therapeutic to use some of the nutrients as supplements. Calcium carbonate (eggshell or oyster shell, for example) and vitamins D and K, can sometimes produce quick antistress effects, alleviating insomnia, hypertension, edema, inflammations and allergies, etc., but the regular use of milk and cheese can prevent many chronic stress-related diseases.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“I like benadryl before sleep a lot. Discovered it by chance 2 months ago and it is a staple on my medicine kit now. Using it 2 nights in a row and resets quite well sleep and stress cycles. And without weird mental effects like cypro.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Chocolate is high in histamines and oxalates. Certain oxalate foods give me aches and pain at night, and chocolate and potatoes are two I have to avoid. The chocolate I feel in my lower back and potatoes give me flu like aches in my legs, but both only at nighttime. If I decide to have a chocolate I eat it early in the day and have it with a lot of milk.
Interestingly since I cut out meat and upped my dairy intake and added in orange peels, I have not had the backache chocolate use to give me in the night, and have been eating a couple ounces of chocolate every morning with my milk and coffee, this past two weeks.

kYgirl

UPDATE:

I had another straight eight hours of sleep last night, with long dreams this morning. I had my homemade ice cream with the orange peels again, but had it a couple of hours before bed this time. The nIght before last I had it right before bed and I woke up a couple hours later and had to get up for 20 minutes or so, and then slept straight through for 6 more hours without further assistance. My trouble could have also been a histamine issue from using leftover pancake batter from the day before because one of my sinuses was plugged up in the morning too. Still this past couple of weeks I have been having some of the best sleep I have had since forever ago. I am wondering how much my morning chocolate is helping my night time sleep?

“The study found that chocolate can influence everything from your appetite to sleep quality. Eating chocolate within an hour of getting up in the morning was linked with benefits when it comes to blood sugar levels and fat burning. On the flip side, eating chocolate right before bed was found to alter metabolism in the morning.”

Read More: Eating chocolate as soon as you wake up may have weight benefits - SlashGear
The study says this:
eating chocolate right before bed was found to alter metabolism in the morning.

But it doesn't reallly say how it is altered good or bad?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
The study says this:
eating chocolate right before bed was found to alter metabolism in the morning.

But it doesn't reallly say how it is altered good or bad?

I know I don’t know what that means, but I wouldn’t eat chocolate before bed anyways. Let us know if you get to the bottom of that statement.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The ability to sleep deeply decreases in old age, as a generalized inflammatory, excitatory state of stress develops. With progressive weakening of restorative cellular relaxation (inhibition), cells become more susceptible to disintegration. It's well established that bone loss occurs almost entirely during the night, and since the catabolic hormones generally affect soft tissues as well as bones, the atrophy of soft tissues ("sarcopenia") of aging is also probably a process that occurs mostly during the night. Mediators of inflammation are at their highest during the night (Cutolo and Masi, 2005). But during the period of growth, the length of bones seems to increase mostly during the night (Noonan, et al., 2004). My interpretation of this is that the stress of darkness accelerates biological processes, whether the process is mainly constructive or mainly destructive.“-Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals