SLEEP

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“A single night of poor sleep probably causes significant anatomical damage to the streaming cellular systems that will be repaired over the next few days if a high level of energy metabolism can be combined with a sufficient amount of deep sleep. The things that optimize energy and sleep form the background for supporting the restorative processes. Salt, glycine, carbon dioxide, progesterone, thyroid hormone and sugar all contribute to preserving the organism's energetic reserves by reducing inappropriate excitation.“ -Ray Peat

Birdie

not working for me
I've only tried part of it and that part alone didn't work. (Tapping on my thighs like a drum). For some reason I don't want to give it enough attention/time to learn the whole procedure with the breathing.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In addition to anxiety, one of the top reasons people reportedly purchase weighted blankets is for better sleep at night. With an estimated 25 percent of people in the United States developing insomnia each year, it is understandable how weighted blankets have become popular. Understanding how the pressure stimulation helps to calm our system, weighted blankets offer a healthy way to find better, more restful sleep without the use of over the counter sleep aids or prescribed medication.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat

kYgirl

I've always wanted to get a weighted blanket. But I sleep hot and it seems like you would get hotter with this kind of blanket. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good one?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I've always wanted to get a weighted blanket. But I sleep hot and it seems like you would get hotter with this kind of blanket. Does anyone have a recommendation on a good one?
This one I posted has a heat side and a cooling side.

Attachments

• 6D34445B-F89B-4FC9-993D-FC4CBFF01B63.jpeg
    6D34445B-F89B-4FC9-993D-FC4CBFF01B63.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 33

Birdie

Not on the heavy blanket subject, but my husband just sent this article and I thought of this thread. (I like a heavy blanket but only on my upper body.)

I used melatonin before reading Ray Peat, but seem to recall he pointed out some possible bad effects of it. Still, interesting to see a supplement (rather than an expensive pharmaceutical) studied.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“With aging, the loss of glycogen in the brain has serious consequences, including insomnia. Estrogen's depletion of glycogen in other tissues is probably important for their functioning, and thyroid and progesterone are known to help maintain the glycogen stores.” -Ray Peat

Birdie

“With aging, the loss of glycogen in the brain has serious consequences, including insomnia. Estrogen's depletion of glycogen in other tissues is probably important for their functioning, and thyroid and progesterone are known to help maintain the glycogen stores.” -Ray Peat
Yes, and I think Ray said melatonin would reduce progesterone. I use thyroid and progesterone... Have recently moved the progesterone from morning to evening. I can't report that the change has been helpful but it seemed to make sense.

Not sure if this has been added to the Sleep thread yet:

During the night all of the hormones of stress and inflammation rise, and the ice cream decreases them enough for you to stay asleep, but they still rise. Having more very bright light (several hundred watts of incandescent bulbs) in the hours from sundown until bedtime will lower them a little more.

Since T3 is used up very quickly, allowing the proinflammatory TSH to rise during the night, it would help if you used Cynoplus at bedtime, instead of Cynomel.

If you were taking 10 mcg of cynomel, then a third of a tablet of cynoplus would provide that, as well as the T4 that holds the TSH down longer. Having an egg every day, and liver once a week, will help to balance the effects of the thyroid hormone, which increases your need for vitamins, especially vitamin A.

Ray Peat on the Email Exchanges page. So, there's the reason for taking T3/T4 (Cynoplus) at bedtime rather than T3.

Birdie

Here's Ray on cassava:

Cassava​

"Cyanide is a goitrogen, and its quantity varies with the way the cassava is prepared. It's essential for the starch to be very well cooked, and eaten with some fat."

That's a pretty good summary of what I've read. I also saw that it's important that the flour preparation include soaking, removal of the outer skin...
and more here.... What Is Cassava Flour and Why You Should Avoid It | Livestrong.com

"....cyanogenic glycosides, which are chemical compounds that are present in more than 2,000 plant species,....
On their own, these compounds are not very harmful, but when they are broken down during digestion, they release hydrogen cyanide, which is toxic to humans and other animals.
How much of these compounds cassava has depends on the type. Sweet cassava is relatively low in them, with less than 50 milligrams per kilogram, whereas bitter cassava contains significantly higher amounts — more than 400 milligrams per kilogram. The USDA warns that bitter cassava should not be eaten raw, but it is OK to eat it cooked."

Last edited:

Birdie

SLEEP: I'm starting a trial of taking 45mg of Armour thyroid at bedtime a la Ray Peat. I'll deduct that amount from my morning dose. Started last night and slept, getting up to pee once, until 5am. I think I went to bed around 10:30.

However, this isn't a bulletproof first night test. I felt a spastic colon starting and took, in bits every 15 min, adding up to 5mg of valium to ward off an attack. So, that would relax me for sleep. We'll see how this trial goes. I won't use valium again.

Birdie

Only recently, I've begun to use my progesterone in the evening rather than morning. I wonder if everybody else has been doing an evening dose. All these years Ive done morning.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Only recently, I've begun to use my progesterone in the evening rather than morning. I wonder if everybody else has been doing an evening dose. All these years Ive done morning.
When I take Progest-E, I take it during the day. I figure I need the protection from many things during the day. I maybe take it once or twice a week, only when I am leaving my house for whatever reason.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“When we fall asleep, our body experiences multiple stages of sleep. One of the most important stages of sleep is slow-wave sleep (also known as deep sleep), which is thought to be the most restful stage of sleep.
During slow-wave sleep, brain activity moves in distinctive "waves" through the different areas of the brain, activating large areas together (such as those involved with memory and processing sounds) before moving on to others. It's thought that slow-wave sleep allows the brain's neurons (specialized brain cells which send and receive information) to recover from daily wear and tear, while also helping sleep make us feel rested. It's also thought to be important for our memory.
Not every area of the brain experiences the same amount of slow-wave activity. It's most pronounced in areas we use most while awake, such as those important for motor function and sight.
But sometimes, certain brain areas can be overactive during slow-wave sleep. This is what happens in sleep disorders such as sleep walking.
A similar thing may happen in people with tinnitus. We think that hyperactive brain regions might stay awake in the otherwise sleeping brain. This would explain why many people with tinnitus experience disturbed sleep and night terrors more often than people who don't have tinnitus.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Studies have also shown that vitamin E is a common deficiency for those with sleep apnea. In combo with other antioxidants such as vitamin C, it can improve breathing at night and sleep quality, and—on a different note—help to protect testosterone production.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Last night I skipped the protein at dinner again and made an asparagus soup with bone broth. While I was making the soup I fried myself an egg. About an hour after the soup I peeled and cut up a tangelo and threw in a big handful of blueberries and sprinkled it all with sugar. At bedtime I ate a spoonful of marmalade and my homemade coconut oil peanut butter and slept a solid straight 8 hours last night. Ray Peat is absolutely right in saying to have your protein and calcium during the day, because timing of food is crucial for me to get a good night sleep.

Birdie

When I take Progest-E, I take it during the day. I figure I need the protection from many things during the day. I maybe take it once or twice a week, only when I am leaving my house for whatever reason.
I was wondering about women who follow his advice about using it with their cycle. Although my husband takes a drop each morning, it doesn't make him sleepy. Somewhere recently I read that it's better to take your dose at night to aid sleep. So, that's what I was referring to.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I was wondering about women who follow his advice about using it with their cycle. Although my husband takes a drop each morning, it doesn't make him sleepy. Somewhere recently I read that it's better to take your dose at night to aid sleep. So, that's what I was referring to.
I use to take it at night for, sleep, but now I take it during the day for stress, and it doesn’t make me sleepy now either, like it did when I first started taking it last year.

Birdie

I use to take it at night for, sleep, but now I take it during the day for stress, and it doesn’t make me sleepy now either, like it did when I first started taking it last year.
Glad it works for you ! I switched from nighttime progesterone cream to morning Progest-E when I found Peat.. I'm taking 3 large drops now and I think it made me groggy when I upped the dose.
“In addition to anxiety, one of the top reasons people reportedly purchase weighted blankets is for better sleep at night. With an estimated 25 percent of people in the United States developing insomnia each year, it is understandable how weighted blankets have become popular. Understanding how the pressure stimulation helps to calm our system, weighted blankets offer a healthy way to find better, more restful sleep without the use of over the counter sleep aids or prescribed medication.“

I've never been able to sleep with just a sheet over me like some people do. A little weight is comforting. Is this helping with your sleep? Did you get one?

Sleep Report: Last night I again took some T3/T4 at bedtime and slept through. Thankful and surprised actually. Also had ice cream in evening. But I'm still staying up about an hour too late.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Glad it works for you ! I switched from nighttime progesterone cream to morning Progest-E when I found Peat.. I'm taking 3 large drops now and I think it made me groggy when I upped the dose.

I've never been able to sleep with just a sheet over me like some people do. A little weight is comforting. Is this helping with your sleep? Did you get one?

Sleep Report: Last night I again took some T3/T4 at bedtime and slept through. Thankful and surprised actually. Also had ice cream in evening. But I'm still staying up about an hour too late.
I couldn’t sleep with something heavy on me. I don’t like wearing long pants, wearing jackets or sweaters or like having heavy blankets on me, not because I get hot, but because they feel sort of claustrophobic. The weighted blanket I have was a gift. Mines is so heavy that I can barely carry it. I swear mine could kill a small child!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals