SLEEP

Nomane Euger

I wonder if my good sleep last night has something to do with the lack of acidic foods?

hi,i have observed that the deepest,most enjoyable sleep i experience,after wich i wake up feeling that i came out of mother womb,possibly dreamless,is when i eat only foods that make me reach the highest degree of relaxion,and the foods that make me reach the highest degree of relaxion are perfectly ripe fruits that do make me experience characteristics associated with a high alkaline load,child associated characteristics.any acidic foods,even the ones that i prefer,such as to much honey relative to fruits,meat/fat/organs do make my sleep less good,make the sleep duration longer,increase dreams frequency drastically specifically at the last part of my night,and feel less good when i wake up

ursidae

I’ve tried a few of the things on this thread to no avail. I wake up every couple of hours, have nightmares often and when I finally have to get up, I feel extreme anxiety. Sucks that such a basic function is so difficult to perform for many of us.

Lately I have been trying out Tim Berzins’ recommended temporary diet for curing insulin resistance and fatty liver, which consists mainly of lean meat and starch, and I can say I’ve been having some of the worst sleep I’ve ever experienced. I’m not sure if it’s the lack of sugars or maybe due to a caloric deficit, but it is miserable.
low fat diet slowly ruined my sleep to the point of not being able to sleep continuously for more than 4 hours

ursidae

Of all the supplements I took in my life, the most helpful for sleep was copper (also excellent for night time urination)
I'm experimenting with this right now. Suspecting it will help with DAO production and lower my histamine levels. What form of copper did you take? Not sure if copper (II) is a good idea

Z

Zsazsa

I'm experimenting with this right now. Suspecting it will help with DAO production and lower my histamine levels. What form of copper did you take? Not sure if copper (II) is a good idea
I was taking copper glycine 1 mg with zinc citrate 15 mg and selenium glycine 60 mcg (compounded with type II collagen) after breakfast.

Cow

Ha! Ha! Ha! What kind of stuff do you make up to brainwash yourself?
It's a mish mash of things. I've trained myself to go to sleep within about 10 minutes of lying down, which it used to take FOREVER. I simply imagine that my system is powering down for a rest and repair cycle. I allow no other thoughts. I also summon a feeling that I had twice in my life when I slept like the dead and it felt amazing. To this day, I still remember those two instances and the amazingly heavy feeling of deep safety and comfort I had. So, I let that feeling inhabit me while I power down. It's been a process, but, I went from having a lot of frustration and anxiety about going to bed to having none. And although I still wake up several times a night, it does not bother me, I just go right back to sleep. I am working on further brainwashing myself to stay asleep longer.

Sorry if that sounds woo. ☁️ :rolleyes: :D I actually consider my method to just be placebo effect shifting my brain/body state. Don't get me wrong, I still keep trying every pill or diet tip I come across, but very little works, and if it does, it does not work consistently.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
It's a mish mash of things. I've trained myself to go to sleep within about 10 minutes of lying down, which it used to take FOREVER. I simply imagine that my system is powering down for a rest and repair cycle. I allow no other thoughts. I also summon a feeling that I had twice in my life when I slept like the dead and it felt amazing. To this day, I still remember those two instances and the amazingly heavy feeling of deep safety and comfort I had. So, I let that feeling inhabit me while I power down. It's been a process, but, I went from having a lot of frustration and anxiety about going to bed to having none. And although I still wake up several times a night, it does not bother me, I just go right back to sleep. I am working on further brainwashing myself to stay asleep longer.

Sorry if that sounds woo. ☁️ :rolleyes: :D I actually consider my method to just be placebo effect shifting my brain/body state. Don't get me wrong, I still keep trying every pill or diet tip I come across, but very little works, and if it does, it does not work consistently.
My grandmother once showed me her technique for getting to sleep l, when I stayed over one night. I only thought of it just now reading your response. She started by instructing my to focus on my toes and relaxing my toes, then I had to focus on my knees and tell them to relax too, then it was the top of my legs, hen my stomach, my hands, my shoulders, my neck, my jaw and finally my eyes. She said she did that every night and it got her to sleep. Possibly the cookies and milk she had every night before bed may have helped too! She loved her Oreos, homemade butterscotch chip cookies, pudding, jello with fruit cocktail in it, and sometimes bananas and even walnuts, and her root beer floats. I can see all of her favorites working for a good night of sleep. Thanks for sharing your trick :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:
Oh man I slept so good last night, straight through for 8 hours! I was meat free yesterday, eating sprouted brown rice cereal with whole raw milk, several times during the day, after my coffee, and I had a couple of sugared mandarines in the early evening. Being busy all day and into the evening, I took a shortcut and had an organic flour tortilla and grass fed cheddar quesadilla with fresh salsa for dinner. A couple hours before bedtime I made a batch of my cream and egg free raw milk ice cream and had a big bowl of it topped with the zest of an orange and a handful of organic sweet blueberries. No supplements were necessary last night for a full night of sleep with good dreams!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Oats contain tryptophan, an amino-acid the brain converts into serotonin, which relaxes the body before falling asleep. The brain need tryptophan to make serotonin, so it is important to get enough of it for good sleep.”

I don’t think tryptophan is the answer for sleep, as it has long term consequences. At the very least having gelatin with oats, meats and egg yolks would be a good strategy….

“Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

Last night I went to bed and woke up and hour later from a noise, and thenbIcwas wide awake. Thinking about it now I forgot to turn on my air filter and bathroom night light last night, and I didn’t have my orange peel ice cream either, I had a little milk instead before bed, which obviously did nothing for me. So I got up and ate a spoonful of my “Peaty” Peanut Butter, a spoonful of organic orange marmalade and took a vitamin K and slept straight through for 7 hours!

Attachments

• 2E6F13B1-E1AA-41AD-B89E-A00C30785C7E.jpeg
    2E6F13B1-E1AA-41AD-B89E-A00C30785C7E.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:

I slept AMAZING last night! I had a light dinner early, around 5:30, and had a big bowl of my homemade ice cream, with the peel of an orange and a handful of very sweet blueberries, about 9:30 and went to bed about midnight. I did not watch any television and stayed off my cell phone too. I remembered to turn on a night light and air filter in my room, and slept solidly for 7 straight hours, not turning even once during the night!

OP
Rinse & rePeat
NOTE:

I have slept VERY well the last couple of nights and coincidentally I have been eating dark chocolate, raw and processed, with my morning coffee the last 3 days also….

“To find out about the effects of eating milk chocolate at different times of day, researchers from the Brigham collaborated with investigators at the University of Murcia in Spain. Together, they conducted a randomized, controlled, cross-over trial of 19 postmenopausal women who consumed either 100g of chocolate in the morning (within one hour after waking time) or at night (within one hour before bedtime). They compared weight gain and many other measures to no chocolate intake.

Researchers report that among the women studied:

Morning or nighttime chocolate intake did not lead to weight gain;

Eating chocolate in the morning or in the evening can influence hunger and appetite, microbiota composition, sleep and more”

mrdannyg3

This is a good thread. Insomnia has plagued me since college so it's nice to find others who share this unfortunate circumstance. I have been updating a sleep journal for 3 years now, tracking the supplements and food that I eat every day. My 97 year old grandmother sleeps better than me. Anyways, it appears for me that getting enough calories in, especially at nighttime, and making the base of my daily carbohydrate source fruit (oj/oranges), helps me to sleep. Losing weight is an issue for me because I need enough calories to not be stressed before bedtime. +1 on limiting nighttime protein, that's a no no for me. Fat and carbs at night I think. I've tried many times eating my last meal a couple hours before bed and it never works. I'm just not sleepy and need to snack for sleep to come on. Oh and heavier on the salt at nighttime. I'm really starting to think that gut serotonin is causing the choppy, sporadic sleep. @Rinse & rePeat what are your supplements? Thanks.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
This is a good thread. Insomnia has plagued me since college so it's nice to find others who share this unfortunate circumstance. I have been updating a sleep journal for 3 years now, tracking the supplements and food that I eat every day. My 97 year old grandmother sleeps better than me. Anyways, it appears for me that getting enough calories in, especially at nighttime, and making the base of my daily carbohydrate source fruit (oj/oranges), helps me to sleep. Losing weight is an issue for me because I need enough calories to not be stressed before bedtime. +1 on limiting nighttime protein, that's a no no for me. Fat and carbs at night I think. I've tried many times eating my last meal a couple hours before bed and it never works. I'm just not sleepy and need to snack for sleep to come on. Oh and heavier on the salt at nighttime. I'm really starting to think that gut serotonin is causing the choppy, sporadic sleep. @Rinse & rePeat what are your supplements? Thanks.
I don’t take any supplements, except the milk thistle I took in the middle of the night a couple of times, recently which I posted about this last week or so, with marmalade or my homemade coconut oil peanut butter, for experimental purposes.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
UPDATE:
I slept 9 hours straight through last night!
I turned the nightlight on and the air filter again. I had an early dinner with no meat, and had sprouted oat and heirloom wheat pancakes with fresh blueberry syrup for dinner and my ice cream last night, just vanilla, shortly after, about 6:30 ai was finished eating. I played badminton again too last night up until 8:00. Then I had a cup of marmalade casacara tea and went to be around 11:00 and didn’t wake up until 8:00. I think paying attention to commonalities in my good sleep nights have been beneficial to getting to the bottom of things. I know without a doubt eating meat or dinner late (full stomach) is horrible for my sleep. Marmalade or orange peels seem to be the most beneficial, and having them right before bed. The sprouted oat pancakes might be a thing, but I am gonna have to do a few more nights of them to be sure, oh darn :)

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Essential oils from orange peels are sedative in nature so can be used to calm nerves and induce sleep. Use orange peels in baths or simmer in a pot for uplifting your mood and drive away insomnia.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“On Monday, we ran a series of articles about sleeping including Richard Wiseman’s 12-step guide to getting a good night’s kip. Guardian readers responded online with hundreds of tips of their own. Here are some of the best.”

“Orange peel tea! Pour hot water over some cleaned orange peel sitting in a small mug. Drink 20 minutes before bedtime (of course, just a little – so it doesn’t make you wake up and go pee). Sleep like a baby guaranteed!”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Pregnancy and postpartum are two critical and stressful periods. Despite the joy of motherhood, these periods are sometimes associated with important physiological and pathological changes such as sleep deprivation and poor sleep quality. This study aimed to determine the effect of orange peel essential oil on sleep quality after delivery.”

“A significant improvement in sleep quality was observed in the group receiving orange peel essential oil compared with the control group at 8 weeks after delivery [adjusted mean difference: 5.0; 95% confidence interval: 3.9 to 6.1; p = 0.001]. Regarding the components of the sleep quality index, there were statistically significant differences between the two groups except for the daytime dysfunction component (p < 0.05).“

kYgirl

UPDATE:
I slept 9 hours straight through last night!
I turned the nightlight on and the air filter again. I had an early dinner with no meat, and had sprouted oat and heirloom wheat pancakes with fresh blueberry syrup for dinner and my ice cream last night, just vanilla, shortly after, about 6:30 ai was finished eating. I played badminton again too last night up until 8:00. Then I had a cup of marmalade casacara tea and went to be around 11:00 and didn’t wake up until 8:00. I think paying attention to commonalities in my good sleep nights have been beneficial to getting to the bottom of things. I know without a doubt eating meat or dinner late (full stomach) is horrible for my sleep. Marmalade or orange peels seem to be the most beneficial, and having them right before bed. The sprouted oat pancakes might be a thing, but I am gonna have to do a few more nights of them to be sure, oh darn :)
Do you have a recipe for your pancakes

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Do you have a recipe for your pancakes

I have been using this same recipe for decades, but now when I make them I swap out the cake flour for sprouted oats and heirloom Einkorn flour. Right now I am doing a half and half blend, but I am gonna try 3/4 cup oats to 1/4 cup Einkorn next. To make sprouted oat flour I just blend up the whole oats in the blender into flour. I learned a year or so ago that it is better to make pancake batter in advance to make them more tender, and I think also for the gluten to get eaten up. So I make it an hour or two in advance, like I did last night, or even the night before to have ready in the morning. I use a grass fed Amish buttermilk and coconut oil with a little butter for frying them. For the blueberry syrup I omit the lemon juice to keep the sauce berry sweet! We all ate these pancakes, as I described, and none of us felt full, like normal pancakes make you feel. They all had rootbeer floats afterwards with my homemade no cream or yolks ice cream and STILL felt good!

Attachments

• 01E6088C-CAF2-4AB9-885C-172CBF0C80AF.jpeg
    01E6088C-CAF2-4AB9-885C-172CBF0C80AF.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 1DFC05A8-E80A-40E6-B67A-8D0C5E16A65B.jpeg
    1DFC05A8-E80A-40E6-B67A-8D0C5E16A65B.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 4DC713CE-92BC-4C91-80F3-0C3919582F8C.jpeg
    4DC713CE-92BC-4C91-80F3-0C3919582F8C.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 14
  • E6A98E0E-DDEB-44AA-A9C6-5BBC39C6F46D.jpeg
    E6A98E0E-DDEB-44AA-A9C6-5BBC39C6F46D.jpeg