Shawn Baker still seems to be thriving on Carnivore

Greyfox

Just saw a recent Shawn Baker video and he seems to be more or less doing the same as he has been since he started. His Jawline is a little less defined but the guy IS in his 50s and thriving. Shouldn't all that phosphorous and lack of calcium destroyed his teeth by now?
Also he keeps providing testimonials of other people thriving such as the poor girl in the video;

View: https://youtu.be/zr_HbrEyqLw

I can't really account for how he could be doing so well from a Ray Peat perspective. Zero carbs, zero fibre, no dairy, High phosphorous and iron, he's not fussy on getting organ meats etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe he's lying about being on steroids but I tend to believe him when he says he's not.
Anyone here doing well on carnivore who might have insights as to why it might be working? Is the other shoe going to drop?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I always did well on it but I did supplement egg shell calcium and honey ate some honey. I’m not doing it currently but I always know if I have a bad gut flare up I can go back to it for a while as needed. I believe Shawn also eats eggs and Greek yogurt or at least did at one point so that probably helps. I haven’t really followed him closely for awhile but he mentioned loosening up for special occasions like birthdays/holidays so he may refill his glycogen stores periodically since he doesn’t seem to be as strict as many in the carnivore space claim to be. Those are just my thoughts.
Edit: and he eats seafood!

YourUniverse

Just saw a recent Shawn Baker video and he seems to be more or less doing the same as he has been since he started. His Jawline is a little less defined but the guy IS in his 50s and thriving. Shouldn't all that phosphorous and lack of calcium destroyed his teeth by now?
Also he keeps providing testimonials of other people thriving such as the poor girl in the video;

I can't really account for how he could be doing so well from a Ray Peat perspective. Zero carbs, zero fibre, no dairy, High phosphorous and iron, he's not fussy on getting organ meats etc.

The only thing I can think of is maybe he's lying about being on steroids but I tend to believe him when he says he's not.
Anyone here doing well on carnivore who might have insights as to why it might be working? Is the other shoe going to drop?

Hmm.

Ray has said dental health mostly has to do with gut health, and a diet of meat curbs endotoxin activity.

Haidut has mentioned fresh meat contains glycogen, meaning a meat-based diet isnt exactly 0-carb. Ray warns against fibre, except for the insoluble type that acts as an intestinal broom, like carrots, bamboo, and mushrooms.

He would seemingly have low* calcium:phosphorus, and lots of iron. Aside from iron being implicated in most neurodegeneration, it fundamentally to my knowledge acts as a proliferator of bacteria (of which a meat-diet, as posited above, has protection against) and as an amplifier of the oxidating effects of PUFA (of which a meat-diet, especially certain meats, have little of).

Paul Saladino has IMO the best combination of carnivore and bioenergetics going on.

Last edited:
OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

I always did well on it but I did supplement egg shell calcium and honey ate some honey. I’m not doing it currently but I always know if I have a bad gut flare up I can go back to it for a while as needed. I believe Shawn also eats eggs and Greek yogurt or at least did at one point so that probably helps. I haven’t really followed him closely for awhile but he mentioned loosening up for special occasions like birthdays/holidays so he may refill his glycogen stores periodically since he doesn’t seem to be as strict as many in the carnivore space claim to be. Those are just my thoughts.
Edit: and he eats seafood!
How long do you do it when you have a gut flare up? I have tried it before for 3 months but I didn't seem to get any better after a certain point. The diarrhea in the first 2 weeks is crazy. Though I do remember reacting more positively to sunshine than usual

OP
Greyfox

Greyfox

Hmm.

Ray has said dental health mostly has to do with gut health, and a diet of meat curbs endotoxin activity.

Haidut has mentioned fresh meat contains glycogen, meaning a meat-based diet isnt exactly 0-carb. Ray warns against fibre, except for the insoluble type that acts as an intestinal broom, like carrots, bamboo, and mushrooms.

He would seemingly have high calcium:phosphorus, and lots of iron. Aside from iron being implicated in most neurodegeneration, it fundamentally to my knowledge acts as a proliferator of bacteria (of which a meat-diet, as posited above, has protection against) and as an amplifier of the oxidating effects of PUFA (of which a meat-diet, especially certain meats, have little of).

Paul Saladino has IMO the best combination of carnivore and bioenergetics going on.
I've definitely noticed an improvement from quitting starches and grains so I can definitely get behind the idea that the best benefit of carnivore is the effect on endotoxin.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How long do you do it when you have a gut flare up? I have tried it before for 3 months but I didn't seem to get any better after a certain point. The diarrhea in the first 2 weeks is crazy. Though I do remember reacting more positively to sunshine than usual
I’d say the longest stretch where I didn’t eat any plants period was for 1 year from 2019-2020. I think in hindsight that was a little too long but covid hit and my life became very hectic…
Since then I’ve just been doing a lot of experimenting to see what works best for me personally. Starches are definitely difficult and I only have them a few times per year. I do greatly enjoy some select fruits and vegetables, olive oil ect and while I’m not sure if they are absolutely necessary they improve my quality of life without any noticeable downsides. I do believe we are technically omnivores! I don’t think carnivore is the panacea it’s made out to be but for some people it seems helpful for a while until they can figure out if something they are eating is causing issues.

schmolch

Why are you surprised?
There are countless success stories for carnivore, even more then for keto and probably any other diet intervention.
The "pro metabolic diet" on the other hand has barely any success stories even amongst it's most devoted fans.
It all sounds great and is very interesting, but the success rate seems abysmal.

I was amongst those long time keto'ers and carnivores where the benefits fizzled out, but after the initial euphoria of "pro-metabolic" foods, everything just goes back to normal + a ton of weight gain (with the same number of calories. Yes, after 10 years i can say that with certainty).

I personally suspect a cycling approach might be the way to go, but with much longer periods like 9 months carni / 3 months high carb. Kinda like that thing in nature with the seasons and stuff.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@schmolch, seasonal eating seems helpful. I also think exercise/enjoyable movement/being active plays a large role in Shawn’s success. I’ve noticed that is very beneficial for me as well.

Peatful

Never heard of him.
Seems like a nice guy.

He is missing 1/2 his eyebrows?

Herbie

He is missing the last third of his eye brows, classic hypothyroid symptom.

The other dr mentioned has a terrible skin problem.

Carnivore is a fad diet and at best a band aid imo.

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
I really wonder, there are some people who look like they are thriving on keto/carnivore.
Ken Berry, Anthony Chaffe, Judy from Nutrition with Judy, Mary Ruddick the nutritionist and there are others.
Shawn Baker, for me, looks the least healthy from all of them. When I listen to him speak, its like somebody hit him with a hammer on the head. He just speaks in cirlces and never gets to any meaningfull point. And yeah, his is missing a part of his eyebrows. That is a clear sign of hypothyroidism, probably even hypogonadal. His normal speaking voice sounds raspy and depressed somehow. Another sign of hypothyroidism or something else going wrong.

I was 3 years keto. Through that time I totally broke down, but I still have this grain of hope that people can thrive on keto.
I suspect that in order for keto to work well, you already need to be very healthy. I was metabolically deranged before keto and keto was an additional stress and strain on my system. This is not how you fix your health....

tasfarelel

And he definitely looks like someone who used anabolics, at least in the past if not now anymore. Not many people speak about that you can run super high anabolics to build up muscles for some years - and then one can hold most of it while only running TRT-level doses.

John mcclain

Dont pay any attention to him.he is missing a third of an eyebrow.
I mean look at haidiut who is obviously doing it right.come on guys one is 40 ish n other is mid 50's if its looks we r going off georgi is mess plain n simple

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Georgi and Shawn both look pretty healthy to me fwiw. I’m female and only about a year younger than Shawn and I personally feel like it’s more challenging to look good by society’s standards at this age regardless of if people talk openly about it or not. I certainly appreciate the work they both do to help people. I’m probably somewhere in the middle on a continuum of diet between the two of them but one thing we all seem to agree on is that animal foods are a very important part of the diet. From there I suppose we all have to figure out the specifics for ourselves.

Hugh Johnson

Why are you surprised?
There are countless success stories for carnivore, even more then for keto and probably any other diet intervention.
The "pro metabolic diet" on the other hand has barely any success stories even amongst it's most devoted fans.
It all sounds great and is very interesting, but the success rate seems abysmal.

I was amongst those long time keto'ers and carnivores where the benefits fizzled out, but after the initial euphoria of "pro-metabolic" foods, everything just goes back to normal + a ton of weight gain (with the same number of calories. Yes, after 10 years i can say that with certainty).

I personally suspect a cycling approach might be the way to go, but with much longer periods like 9 months carni / 3 months high carb. Kinda like that thing in nature with the seasons and stuff.
Peat imho saved my life. I doubt I am the only one.

Dapose

Forum Supporter
If Baker for some reason had to delete ALL social media. And got hired to do a job that had nothing to do with consulting people on loosing weight… would he not just eat a ******* piece of fruit, some baked potato with sour cream or a slice of ******* pizza?
I mean him and all of the carnies are just doing it still for the social media expectation. Of coarse it’s fine to eat that way but it’s pathological to just keep doing because your trying to prove a point. It’s not health it’s religious. Have some orange juice Dr Baker! I know you’re trolling this forum! We can help you fix you’re thyroid!
Sugar Awaits you!

unsubscribed

Georgi and Shawn both look pretty healthy to me fwiw. I’m female and only about a year younger than Shawn and I personally feel like it’s more challenging to look good by society’s standards at this age regardless of if people talk openly about it or not. I certainly appreciate the work they both do to help people. I’m probably somewhere in the middle on a continuum of diet between the two of them but one thing we all seem to agree on is that animal foods are a very important part of the diet. From there I suppose we all have to figure out the specifics for ourselves.
Well said Blossom :)

Nebula

He’s likely on TRT and HGH. Most other keto/primal influencers are like Mark Sisson. Fitness influencers claiming to be on keto or vegan diets usually don’t consider those to be steroids. They consider them to be medical treatments, which fair enough I guess TRT at least could be considered. Peat people also don’t consider thyroid and pro hormones or testosterone to be “steroids” also fair, but they are often honest more honest about it.

BeanSprouts

1690437981696.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals