Serotonin Is Involved In The Formation Of Traumatic Memories

Makrosky

Greg says said:
post 87281
NathanK said:
Greg says said:
:hattip Thanks pboy + NathanK

Greg, there was some good information on tianeptine in on this page that I just ran across. I'm not sure why it works so well for some people and pretty benign for others. I'm about to try it out in the next couple weeks. http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewt ... 345#p60107

Thanks for that, I'll read that… yeah, from the moment I took it (wasn't expecting much) within 5 mins felt I so clear headed with minimal anxiety, optimissm and clear vision. But i have read about other people experiencing not so good feelings. My girlfriend also had a positive experience.

I totally agree with the concept of the 'mind follows the body', but my problem is my disordered thought process. I habitually think the worst case scenario and the inevitability of the worse case scenario causes my brain to crash (give up response/ learned helplessness). As RP mentioned once, I put up mental obstacles that aren't there. So I'm in a permanent stress response, which is just a normal feeling for me.

I've never had my serotonin measured, but I'm sure I do. Maybe tianeptine doesn't work so well for people with OK serotonin levels (?).

Greg, have you tried things like EFT ? There's people on the internet swearing by it.

Well... just lke there's people swearing by any imaginable thing like raw veganism :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:

James_001

Makrosky said:
post 118369
James_001 said:
post 118368
NathanK said:
Greg, yes, it's vital that you start to learn to create boundaries with people, life, and all relationships (friend, family, work, or therwise). Decide what you'll allow yourself to engage in. As Pboy said, knowing your value is very important to understanding this.

Can you explain more about "boundaries"

I have heard people talk about this but never really understood the concept

I think he means being assertive. For example if you have a co-worker that always comes to your desk to rant about something, and you passively hear him just to be polite or a good coworker, but that puts you in a negative mind state every time... then be assertive and don't allow him to do that. You set up a boundary that can't be trespassed. Or people that always tries to put on you responsability that it's theirs, then cut that crap. Set the boundary.

You have to be strong at the beginning since people is used to use you and they will get upset or surprised. But will respect you more on the long run.

Of course that doesn't mean closing up completely like you are a psychopath. It means stablishing a hard limit.

Its weird that we even have to do this, but I guess it is needed in our society. I am pretty aware of the emotions of other (very sensitive since a young age), so if I think I am bothering someone I can pick up on it quickly and stop my behavior. But I guess other people don't think like that?

I also found it interesting that others in this thread mentioned people telling them personal details early in meeting, as I tend to have that experience a lot.

I have also used a lot of psychedelics and really enjoy them, this probably has contributed to low boundaries.

Makrosky

James_001 said:
post 118371
Makrosky said:
post 118369
James_001 said:
post 118368
NathanK said:
Greg, yes, it's vital that you start to learn to create boundaries with people, life, and all relationships (friend, family, work, or therwise). Decide what you'll allow yourself to engage in. As Pboy said, knowing your value is very important to understanding this.

I think he means being assertive. For example if you have a co-worker that always comes to your desk to rant about something, and you passively hear him just to be polite or a good coworker, but that puts you in a negative mind state every time... then be assertive and don't allow him to do that. You set up a boundary that can't be trespassed. Or people that always tries to put on you responsability that it's theirs, then cut that crap. Set the boundary.

You have to be strong at the beginning since people is used to use you and they will get upset or surprised. But will respect you more on the long run.

Of course that doesn't mean closing up completely like you are a psychopath. It means stablishing a hard limit.

Its weird that we even have to do this, but I guess it is needed in our society. I am pretty aware of the emotions of other (very sensitive since a young age), so if I think I am bothering someone I can pick up on it quickly and stop my behavior. But I guess other people don't think like that?

I also found it interesting that others in this thread mentioned people telling them personal details early in meeting, as I tend to have that experience a lot.

I have also used a lot of psychedelics and really enjoy them, this probably has contributed to low boundaries.

My experience and feelings exactly the same, man. :shock:

I have thought A LOT about that as well and I really think it's just not bad-intentioned. It's just people having a different awareness. And also, it's also kind of natural... It's like if you don't set limits to fire or water, they will flow uncontrolled. If you have experienced with psychedelics you know the only thing that separates us from chaos and the infinite universe is limits (boundaries). You need the ego.

By the way, I have unintentionally reversed it not consuming psychedelics (specially ayahuasca) and doing some nutritional changes like I said in the previous posts in reply to Greg.

Greg says

James_001 said:
Greg says said:
I also got all the trimmings of high serotonin; learned helplessness, hyper vigilance, crave isolation, defensive, feel other peoples pain, strongly antiauthoritarian etc. Finding RP's work has transformed my perspective on the condition though, very interesting findings. Tianeptine helped more than anything I've tried. Interestingly my mums appendix burst when she had me (appendix has something to do with serotonin?). She also had ECT. The only time I've ever felt zero anxiety was when I took Phenibut. But that stuff ends up biting you in the ****. I felt so productive and at peace. I would love to feel this way through a safer method (GABA feelings).

I would love to know more about serotonin, trauma, PTSD, learned helplessness. There is some really interesting stuff on the forum.

I thought anti-authoritarian is low serotonin?

yeah that is right. high serotonin = authoritarian. I wrote 'antiauthoritarian', meaning I don't like being around authoritarians. But sometimes, when I talk to my dog I can hear an authoritarian tone in my voice and I think 'oh my god, I sound like my mother'. The DSM would say I have 'oppositional defiant disorder'. ; )

As this subject has been brought up again, I have found some interesting info on cPTSD-PTSD-narcissism from this life coach on youtube. He talks about trauma people not being able to get 'traction' and cannot move forward in life. Which makes me think of something RP said, 'Learned helplessness blinds us to reality, because we assume obstacles that don't really exist.' - Ray Peat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6uTDe ... 2Q&index=3

Dysregulation of the HPA Axis : Biological Impact of Complex PTSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2Sswfl4-w

'Serotonin is involved in the formation of traumatic memories when under stress.' - Ray Peat

Another thing that I find interesting is related to our intuition. I think the voice in our head, or our thoughts that we listen, or internal dialogue have a certain tone depending on our hormonal status. An angry/ self bullying tone = maybe high serotonin. A girly/ child like voice = maybe low testosterone/ high oestrogen.

James_001

Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
post 118367
Greg says said:
I have complex PTSD (traumas over a long period of time from being in a situation I couldn't escape). My memory is very sharp. Especially my younger days. I can still taste tastes from being a child and feel feelings very strongly. And yes, my memory for everyday stuff is pretty poor. Maybe all that high cortisol erodes the brain.

I also got all the trimmings of high serotonin; learned helplessness, hyper vigilance, crave isolation, defensive, feel other peoples pain, strongly antiauthoritarian etc. Finding RP's work has transformed my perspective on the condition though, very interesting findings. Tianeptine helped more than anything I've tried. Interestingly my mums appendix burst when she had me (appendix has something to do with serotonin?). She also had ECT. The only time I've ever felt zero anxiety was when I took Phenibut. But that stuff ends up biting you in the ****. I felt so productive and at peace. I would love to feel this way through a safer method (GABA feelings).

I would love to know more about serotonin, trauma, PTSD, learned helplessness. There is some really interesting stuff on the forum.

James_001 said:
Greg says said:

yeah that is right. high serotonin = authoritarian. I wrote 'antiauthoritarian', meaning I don't like being around authoritarians. But sometimes, when I talk to my dog I can hear an authoritarian tone in my voice and I think 'oh my god, I sound like my mother'. The DSM would say I have 'oppositional defiant disorder'. ; )

As this subject has been brought up again, I have found some interesting info on cPTSD-PTSD-narcissism from this life coach on youtube. He talks about trauma people not being able to get 'traction' and cannot move forward in life. Which makes me think of something RP said, 'Learned helplessness blinds us to reality, because we assume obstacles that don't really exist.' - Ray Peat

'Serotonin is involved in the formation of traumatic memories when under stress.' - Ray Peat

Another thing that I find interesting is related to our intuition. I think the voice in our head, or our thoughts that we listen, or internal dialogue have a certain tone depending on our hormonal status. An angry/ self bullying tone = maybe high serotonin. A girly/ child like voice = maybe low testosterone/ high oestrogen.

I know actually what you mean about the traction thing!

I feel like nothing I do makes an impact.

I also hate being around authorities.

Makrosky

James_001 said:
post 118374
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
post 118367
Greg says said:
I have complex PTSD (traumas over a long period of time from being in a situation I couldn't escape). My memory is very sharp. Especially my younger days. I can still taste tastes from being a child and feel feelings very strongly. And yes, my memory for everyday stuff is pretty poor. Maybe all that high cortisol erodes the brain.

James_001 said:
Greg says said:

10 years ago I exited that "tractionless" state with Prozac and therapy. I moved forward a lot. Discontinued Prozac, and lost A LOT of traction. That is why I still don't buy RP's theories about serotonin. Or like haidut says, SSRIs aren't really SSRIs. Anyway it is WAY much more complicated than what Peat says. Now... I feel I repeat this too often, lol.

James_001

Makrosky said:
post 118372
James_001 said:
post 118371
Makrosky said:
post 118369
James_001 said:
post 118368
NathanK said:

My experience and feelings exactly the same, man. :shock:

I have thought A LOT about that as well and I really think it's just not bad-intentioned. It's just people having a different awareness. And also, it's also kind of natural... It's like if you don't set limits to fire or water, they will flow uncontrolled. If you have experienced with psychedelics you know the only thing that separates us from chaos and the infinite universe is limits (boundaries). You need the ego.

By the way, I have unintentionally reversed it not consuming psychedelics (specially ayahuasca) and doing some nutritional changes like I said in the previous posts in reply to Greg.

lol, yeah ayahuasca is really powerful. I probably won't use it again, but I sometimes wish that everyone in the world was using it on a regular basis.

I think Terrence mckenna said something like "an ego isn't a necessary thing, but you need one in our culture/society"

James_001

Makrosky said:
post 118375
James_001 said:
post 118374
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
post 118367
Greg says said:

James_001 said:
Greg says said:

10 years ago I exited that "tractionless" state with Prozac and therapy. I moved forward a lot. Discontinued Prozac, and lost A LOT of traction. That is why I still don't buy RP's theories about serotonin. Or like haidut says, SSRIs aren't really SSRIs. Anyway it is WAY much more complicated than what Peat says. Now... I feel I repeat this too often, lol.

Don't ssris also increase pregnenolone or something?

Makrosky

James_001 said:
post 118377
Makrosky said:
post 118375
James_001 said:
post 118374
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
post 118367
Greg says said:

James_001 said:
Greg says said:

Don't ssris also increase pregnenolone or something?

Yes I think pregnenolone and allopregnenolone, but I have taken pregnenolone and it's not comparable in any way. I'm not saying SSRIs are good, by the way.

James_001

Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
Greg says said:

Did you ever develop an interest in bodybuilding/power lifting by any chance?

Greg says

Makrosky said:
post 118370
Greg says said:
post 87281
NathanK said:
Greg says said:

Greg, have you tried things like EFT ? There's people on the internet swearing by it.

Well... just lke there's people swearing by any imaginable thing like raw veganism :mrgreen:

No, never tried these kind of mental reconditioning techniques. or EDMR. or TRE. I'm not sure they are as effective for cPTSD as they are for PTSD. When the opportunity arrises I will try LSD therapy with a practitioner. I tried mushrooms this autumn and tried to focus on healing rather than having fun. It was very effective and I ended up having some real insights and even wrote a letter to my parents telling them stuff I had had on my mind for two decades.

This is interesting. Robin Williams suicide related to cPTSD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeHOfP0H3A

Greg says

James_001 said:
post 118379
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
Greg says said:

I did become a personal trainer and went to uni to study nutrition. Never really into the classic 'body building', but definitely lifting weights, building muscle. I'm lean so never can bulk up too much. It is very therapeutic lifting weights. I was light and flighty as a kid. I was consistently the cross country running champion for my school.

As far as the 4F of trauma; flight, freeze, flight and fawn, I am more of a flight person. I walk a lot. 2-3 hours a day. I have moved around the world a lot, I still live out of a bag even though I have an apartment with a wardrobe and draws. Escape mode?!

Makrosky

Greg says said:
post 118380
Makrosky said:
post 118370
Greg says said:
post 87281
NathanK said:
Greg says said:

No, never tried these kind of mental reconditioning techniques. or EDMR. or TRE. I'm not sure they are as effective for cPTSD as they are for PTSD. When the opportunity arrises I will try LSD therapy with a practitioner. I tried mushrooms this autumn and tried to focus on healing rather than having fun. It was very effective and I ended up having some real insights and even wrote a letter to my parents telling them stuff I had had on my mind for two decades.

This is interesting. Robin Williams suicide related to cPTSD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQeHOfP0H3A

GREAT! I also had similar experiences like the one you describe (I don't have PTSD as far as I know). With MDMA and ... basically any kind of psychedelic substance. After all the psychedelics are a tool and you can use it for a rave party or for healing. Truly wonderful substances.

Also MDMA is apparently very effective for PTSD(maybe cPTSD as well?). Do you know MAPS association then, right ? If not, their website is worth exploring.

I must say thought that now a days I am more inclined to think that your view of past things change depending on your actual metabolism. If you feel bad, you tend to look to the past in a bad way. If you feel good, you are grateful for the things you've experienced in the past. I am not talking about HEAVY stuff like PTSD of course. Just "normal" neuroses.

Greg says

Makrosky said:
post 118378
James_001 said:
post 118377
Makrosky said:
post 118375
James_001 said:
post 118374
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
post 118367
Greg says said:

Yes I think pregnenolone and allopregnenolone, but I have taken pregnenolone and it's not comparable in any way. I'm not saying SSRIs are good, by the way.

I have used SSRIs and it wasn't all negative. I used them for about 3 years (one factor was they were so hard to get off). It really is hard to say what they are doing physiologically. Who knows what they are doing with serotonin. I also tried the older MAO inhibitors. I tried st. johns wort for a few years also that were was very effective. The issue with all of these though was the sex dysfunction. SSRE (tianeptine) has been great with zero side effects.

I think over 50,000 people have committed suicide on Prozac. My relative was due to get married, he started Prozac two weeks before the wedding and killed himself. Same happened to Sylvia Plath after two weeks on anti-depressants she stuck her head in an oven.

Makrosky

Greg says said:
post 118381
James_001 said:
post 118379
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
Greg says said:

I did become a personal trainer and went to uni to study nutrition. Never really into the classic 'body building', but definitely lifting weights, building muscle. I'm lean so never can bulk up too much. It is very therapeutic lifting weights. I was light and flighty as a kid. I was consistently the cross country running champion for my school.

As far as the 4F of trauma; flight, freeze, flight and fawn, I am more of a flight person. I walk a lot. 2-3 hours a day. I have moved around the world a lot, I still live out of a bag even though I have an apartment with a wardrobe and draws. Escape mode?!

LOL... I can relate to that to a certain degree, and I think YES. Escape mode is involved there I'm 100% sure at this point of my life.

There's a study in the forum someone posted that when you're under stress you can only think on the immediate level. You can't project things in the long run, including staying for a while in the same place.

When I have high unscapable stress in my job I only dream about quitting and traveling around the world. When I don't, I just feel good around the people I love and in the city I live. That's when I made the connection. Of course is much more complicated than that. You can't just say people travels because is in escape mode.

If I might ask... When you were on tianeptine, did you have more desire to travel or less ? Just curious.

Cheers

Greg says

Makrosky said:
post 118382
Greg says said:
post 118380
Makrosky said:
post 118370
Greg says said:
post 87281
NathanK said:
Greg says said:

GREAT! I also had similar experiences like the one you describe (I don't have PTSD as far as I know). With MDMA and ... basically any kind of psychedelic substance. After all the psychedelics are a tool and you can use it for a rave party or for healing. Truly wonderful substances.

Also MDMA is apparently very effective for PTSD(maybe cPTSD as well?). Do you know MAPS association then, right ? If not, their website is worth exploring.

I must say thought that now a days I am more inclined to think that your view of past things change depending on your actual metabolism. If you feel bad, you tend to look to the past in a bad way. If you feel good, you are grateful for the things you've experienced in the past. I am not talking about HEAVY stuff like PTSD of course. Just "normal" neuroses.

No not heard of that, Ill check it out...

Yes, I totally agree. How we feel about the past is related to how we perceive the past in our hormone dysregulated body.

'Health problems contain both a psychological and physiological element. If you don't get the nutrition part right then channelling the psychological emotions becomes a monumental task.'

I also relate to being addicted to feeling stressed.

"For those habituated to high levels of internal stress since early childhood, it is the absence of stress that creates unease, evoking boredom and a sense of meaninglessness. People may become addicted to their own stress hormones, adrenaline and cortisol, Hans Selye observed. To such person stress feels desirable, while the absence of it feels like something to be avoided." Gabor Mated, M.D.

Greg says

Makrosky said:
post 118385
Greg says said:
post 118381
James_001 said:
post 118379
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
Greg says said:

LOL... I can relate to that to a certain degree, and I think YES. Escape mode is involved there I'm 100% sure at this point of my life.

There's a study in the forum someone posted that when you're under stress you can only think on the immediate level. You can't project things in the long run, including staying for a while in the same place.

When I have high unscapable stress in my job I only dream about quitting and traveling around the world. When I don't, I just feel good around the people I love and in the city I live. That's when I made the connection. Of course is much more complicated than that. You can't just say people travels because is in escape mode.

If I might ask... When you were on tianeptine, did you have more desire to travel or less ? Just curious.

Cheers

yeah, for sure. I haven't travelled since I took Tianeptine (2 years). Funny you bring that up as my life is very different now since taking it. i have actually held down a job. Jobs for me are the biggest form of entrapment for me. I cannot handle it and have been fired from every job I've had. Luckily this job involves travel and its part time. I have never had a full time job. I am really fascinated by prison and watch documentaries all the time and visit them when I'm travelling. Because prison is my biggest fear. Doing a job i hate is like prison for me.

Yes, i relate to that. I think on an immediate level. This is just normal for me. this must be why i cannot gain traction. i cannot plan anything. Still in that state of dealing with immediate danger. If someone asked me 'what is your 5 year plan?' I'd be like..' you f**king what??!! :lol: '...

I feel like an aeroplane on the run way with its engines going full blast waiting to take off but my wheels have blocks under them. I also have no idea which direction to fly.

I live consistently with a need to create an escape plan, a way out of every situation i get into. Be that, having a mobile phone contract (never had one), a job or a relationship. i just spent a year with a girl whom was amazing but she was talking about marriage/ kids etc. and i couldn't handle it had to get out.

The only time i haven't felt this way was on phenibut. Totally centred, could do things patiently and could gain perspective on life and could see my view of life was just way too keyed up.

Makrosky

Greg says said:
post 118391
Makrosky said:
post 118385
Greg says said:
post 118381
James_001 said:
post 118379
Greg says said:
post 118373
James_001 said:
Greg says said:

Cheers

yeah, for sure. I haven't travelled since I took Tianeptine (2 years). Funny you bring that up as my life is very different now since taking it. i have actually held down a job. Jobs for me are the biggest form of entrapment for me. I cannot handle it and have been fired from every job I've had. Luckily this job involves travel and its part time. I have never had a full time job. I am really fascinated by prison and watch documentaries all the time and visit them when I'm travelling. Because prison is my biggest fear. Doing a job i hate is like prison for me.

Yes, i relate to that. I think on an immediate level. This is just normal for me. this must be why i cannot gain traction. i cannot plan anything. Still in that state of dealing with immediate danger. If someone asked me 'what is your 5 year plan?' I'd be like..' you f**king what??!! :lol: '...

I feel like an aeroplane on the run way with its engines going full blast waiting to take off but my wheels have blocks under them. I also have no idea which direction to fly.

I live consistently with a need to create an escape plan, a way out of every situation i get into. Be that, having a mobile phone contract (never had one), a job or a relationship. i just spent a year with a girl whom was amazing but she was talking about marriage/ kids etc. and i couldn't handle it had to get out.

The only time i haven't felt this way was on phenibut. Totally centred, could do things patiently and could gain perspective on life and could see my view of life was just way too keyed up.

LOL! I suspected that relationship between tianeptine and traveling.... I hope tianeptine can rewire the brain in a permanent way so it cures the stress vicious cycle. It promotes BDNF and stuff... Maybe tianeptine+ daily meditation could do something powerful permanently?

I can relate to some degree with what you say. Although I've not always been like that so it makes me think it's on my bad metabolism not in my pscyhe. This is when I'm so glad to live in a country with social services, not very competitive (in comparsion to other countries), strong familiar bonds, etc.

Makrosky

Greg says said:
post 118384 I have used SSRIs and it wasn't all negative. I used them for about 3 years (one factor was they were so hard to get off). It really is hard to say what they are doing physiologically. Who knows what they are doing with serotonin. I also tried the older MAO inhibitors. I tried st. johns wort for a few years also that were was very effective. The issue with all of these though was the sex dysfunction. SSRE (tianeptine) has been great with zero side effects.

Have you tried psilocibe/banisteriopsis caapi microdosing ? I think the forum member Skally (or skully can't remember) swears by it.

I want to give it a try one of this days but ... too many things to try! :roll:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals