I had the opportunity perform this procedure on a 48 yr old female having HORRIBLE meltdowns, amygdala hijacks, PTSD memories about 2 weeks ago. These meltdowns had been going on for months. Specific situations would trigger a flood of memories, including domestic violence that occurred 18 months ago.

I brought her to my house after she was stuck parked at a convenience store having giant meltdown for an hour and the meltdown not stopping so she could drive.

I had filched a few propranolol from my hospice Mom's stockpile and just happened to still have them.

I read portions of this thread to her and told her there was no chance it would not work and that when she woke up, the meltdowns would never happen again.

I got her some salty soup and made her warm and comfy in the bed and she konked out.

In the morning she was emotionally much better. She was always a very strong woman physically and emotionally, full of magical enthusiasm for life.

Two weeks later and no meltdowns, she is moving forward with her life and gaining more confidence the past is just the past. She is taking action and focusing on an open future.

She also now knows that if there is a relapse, we know for sure how to fix the problem, so it is no big deal. I have a a few more 40mg tablets.

Bottom Line: This experiment is worth trying if the situation comes your way.

Very helpful post. Thank you. You done good.

Jem Oz

Is propranolol prescription only? Wondering how to get my hands on some without having to put on a song and dance routine for the doc.

Yody

Is propranolol prescription only? Wondering how to get my hands on some without having to put on a song and dance routine for the doc.
You could import it for personal use in the States, rupharma has it.

Take beta-blocker before walking up to and asking out beautiful stranger -> approach anxiety permanently eliminated? Sounds too good to be true.
That has nothing to do with them saying yes or no

Validus

I can vouch that propranolol does help to reduce panic & fear, but propranolol and other beta blockers that impact the brain aren't feasible for most, long term. They have well known very intense side effects on sleep specifically and drastically reduce melatonin production.

Another side effect is waking up multiple times throughout the night with intense startle reactions. That's the best way to describe it, and is another common side effect, just listed as "nightmares", but that's not entirely accurate for what the experience truly feels like.

Everything has a trade off and a cost. Other version beta blockers, like nebivolol/bystolic do not have these same side effects, but it's likely also because they don't have any impact on the brain.

All this being said, propranolol is certainly less dangerous than benzo's in my opinion and have a lot of utility in "emergency or rescue" situations.

Waynish

Any information on how pindolol and propranolol are "synthesized" without obfuscating the source compounds & processes?

golder

I can vouch that propranolol does help to reduce panic & fear, but propranolol and other beta blockers that impact the brain aren't feasible for most, long term. They have well known very intense side effects on sleep specifically and drastically reduce melatonin production.

Another side effect is waking up multiple times throughout the night with intense startle reactions. That's the best way to describe it, and is another common side effect, just listed as "nightmares", but that's not entirely accurate for what the experience truly feels like.

Everything has a trade off and a cost. Other version beta blockers, like nebivolol/bystolic do not have these same side effects, but it's likely also because they don't have any impact on the brain.

All this being said, propranolol is certainly less dangerous than benzo's in my opinion and have a lot of utility in "emergency or rescue" situations.
Novice question: why would anyone use propranolol over nebivolol? I’m looking at comparing these two and it seems nebivolol looks much better?

Validus

Novice question: why would anyone use propranolol over nebivolol? I’m looking at comparing these two and it seems nebivolol looks much better?
Propranolol is much more effective at reducing anxiety and seems to be a bit more effective at lowering heart rate as well.

That being said Propranolol is not great for athletes around their workouts wheres nebivolol is fine.

Also, many taking propranolol will have sleep disturbances which seem much less common with nebivolol.

Nebivolol is much less commonly covered by insurance and is more expensive too.

Propranolol is much more effective at reducing anxiety and seems to be a bit more effective at lowering heart rate as well.

That being said Propranolol is not great for athletes around their workouts wheres nebivolol is fine.

Also, many taking propranolol will have sleep disturbances which seem much less common with nebivolol.

Nebivolol is much less commonly covered by insurance and is more expensive too.
When do we take it?

Validus

When do we take it?
Probably personal preference, and even though I don't take it anymore, when I did since it has a short half life, interferes with my sleep and workouts, I would take it in the mornings after I was done lifting.

If someone is using it for anxiety due to an event or scenario, I would take it an hour before the event.

If it's just to lower heart rate and blood pressure, I would simply take when I woke up.

area51puy

Forum Supporter

Clonidine, a medication commonly used to treat high blood pressure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by an ongoing pattern of excessive amounts of inattention, hyperactivity, carelessness, and impulsivity that are pervasive, impairing, and otherwise age-inappropriate.
ADHD), is also being explored as a potential treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). This is because clonidine acts on adrenergic receptors in the brain, best known for their key role in the “fight or flight” response, a heightened state of awareness that helps protect us in dangerous situations.

southcesar

I already took propranolol because of my essential tremor. nowadays I don't take it anymore but I would like to take it again, is there a better alternative for those who have essential tremor?

David PS

I already took propranolol because of my essential tremor. nowadays I don't take it anymore but I would like to take it again, is there a better alternative for those who have essential tremor?
Have you tried vitamin B1?

southcesar

Have you tried vitamin B1?
Hi, i have been taking 250 mg 3x a day. I feel that I can stay more focused on my studies, but so far I haven't felt a difference in my essential tremor.

David PS

Last edited:

Nfinkelstein

A non-prescription alternative to propanolol might be hawthorn. Some believe it is a natural beta blocker.