Selenium Deficiency Same Symptoms As Hypothyroidism

beachbum

Hi all,

If seems like alot of people on here have thyroid issues. How come if selenium is the abundant mineral in the thyroid and helps conversation of t4 to t3 then way isn't most starting with that first before thyroid meds. I have read that selenium helps inflammation and antibodies. I was thinking of using selenium ( very low dose) for a while then introduce iodine in small doses. Anyone try this. I have read other sites doing this with good results. Just curious.

Thank you

Xisca

I eat 2 brazilian nuts a day whenever I can remember to do it!
My thyroid labs look fine but I have inflammation and I make lactic acid easily.

sweetpeat

Supplementing with selenium brought down my thyroid antibodies. That was about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, my t4 and t3 levels are still below range without thyroid supplementation. Maybe too much damage from years of food restriction...I dunno. But I agree that it's best to start with diet and lifestyle changes to try to increase metabolism rather than reaching straight for a bottle of thyroid. And I think that most of the advice on here leans toward trying diet and lifestyle changes first. That's my impression anyway.

Not sure about the iodine. I've heard mixed messages. Maybe it depends on how much you get from food whether or not you should supplement.

OP
beachbum

beachbum

Supplementing with selenium brought down my thyroid antibodies. That was about 3 years ago. Unfortunately, my t4 and t3 levels are still below range without thyroid supplementation. Maybe too much damage from years of food restriction...I dunno. But I agree that it's best to start with diet and lifestyle changes to try to increase metabolism rather than reaching straight for a bottle of thyroid. And I think that most of the advice on here leans toward trying diet and lifestyle changes first. That's my impression anyway.

Not sure about the iodine. I've heard mixed messages. Maybe it depends on how much you get from food whether or not you should supplement.

Hi sweetpeat,

I totally agree with everything you wrote. I'll let you know how the iodine works. As for diet and lifestyle change, working on it very small baby steps but getting better. I do have mention that I can't follow RP because it puts me in high testosterone/dht and estrogen. So I do the opposite, sort of. But I like coming here to read the intellectual minds to use the information to lower my t and e . I use progesterone cream which lowers them all except progesterone haha, while seeing if I need more of something else.

Thank you

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals