Will Peat-Type Diet Solve My Problems?

Steve

So I had severe hyperthyroidism a couple years ago (possibly Grave's Disease since I have a low level of TSI antibodies).

Then 6 months later I switched to hypothyroidism (maybe because the TSI antibodies became blocking instead of stimulating). But who really knows. So now I'm hypo. I do think it's autoimmune & related to the TSI.

In the past I had super high cortisol upon waking, but now I seem to have low cortisol upon waking. I have fatigue problems, wake every night at 3am, and I get dizzy/anxiety symptoms if I try to do anything mildly frustrating like changing the oil in my car. Also have low pulse & low temp most of the time.

Started thyroid replacement recently which I hope to stop after a while. Haven't dialed in the perfect dose yet.
I need some new labs as I've played around with the dosage quite a bit, but have currently settled on 1 1/2 grains.

After Thyroid Meds:
TSH: 0.04.
Free T3: 3.79 (2.5-3.9).
Free T4: 0.81 (0.6-1.2)

Prior to Thyroid Meds:
TSH: 3.13
Free T3: 2.98
Free T4: 0.97

Will following a Peat-inspired diet possibly get me back to normal?
I've always been healthy & active. 6' 1'' male, 194 lbs, 45 years old.
I think this all started due to stress which I've decreased greatly.

WestCoaster

I'd be interested to know what your fasting blood sugar is and what it's doing before and after meals. To alleviate the waking up in the middle of the night, you'd eat a higher fat diet, and especially something fatty for dinner so the body has a steady source of energy. Honestly you could probably alleviate a lot of your problems by switching to a keto style diet and just listening to your hunger signals and eating when hungry while not worrying about calories, macros etc..

The thing about eating a high sugar diet, the body becomes dependent on sugar, and the body burns through sugar very quickly equating to someone possibly having to constantly eat and consume far more calories than one actually needs. This could cause weight gain, but can also cause blood sugar problems and oxidative stress. Going to a high fat diet causes the problem in that people still (for whatever reason) unconsciously try to avoid fat, replacing it with more protein forcing themselves into too big of a caloric restriction. Too big of a caloric restriction can cause both high levels of cortisol, and the thyroid to slow down causing hypothyroidism. The trick is, eat as much protein as you need, limit carbs, and fill the rest with fat as your hunger signals dictate which will change on a daily basis.

You have to keep in mind the thyroid disregulation accompanied with tanking cortisol levels is a hormonal issue, and when it's a hormonal issue, you have to think fat and calories (upping both)

HLP

Been there and done that keto style diet. Didn't work for me. I also woke around 3am with increased pulse. Thyroid glandular stopped that. For me, it took about three months of following a Peatish diet with no grains, a little meat, a fair bit of sugar and fruit, lots of milk and other dairy products; now my Thyroid labs are indicating I need to reduce my dose. My T3 shot up quite high just with dietary changes. I spent a good portion of my life in a hypothyroid state and was quite amazed at what just diet can accomplish. Very empowering.

OP
S

Steve

I'd be interested to know what your fasting blood sugar is and what it's doing before and after meals. To alleviate the waking up in the middle of the night, you'd eat a higher fat diet, and especially something fatty for dinner so the body has a steady source of energy. Honestly you could probably alleviate a lot of your problems by switching to a keto style diet and just listening to your hunger signals and eating when hungry while not worrying about calories, macros etc..

The thing about eating a high sugar diet, the body becomes dependent on sugar, and the body burns through sugar very quickly equating to someone possibly having to constantly eat and consume far more calories than one actually needs. This could cause weight gain, but can also cause blood sugar problems and oxidative stress. Going to a high fat diet causes the problem in that people still (for whatever reason) unconsciously try to avoid fat, replacing it with more protein forcing themselves into too big of a caloric restriction. Too big of a caloric restriction can cause both high levels of cortisol, and the thyroid to slow down causing hypothyroidism. The trick is, eat as much protein as you need, limit carbs, and fill the rest with fat as your hunger signals dictate which will change on a daily basis.

You have to keep in mind the thyroid disregulation accompanied with tanking cortisol levels is a hormonal issue, and when it's a hormonal issue, you have to think fat and calories (upping both)
My fasting glucose was 98 (74-114).
I eat all day long, about 2,700 calories (20% protein, 41% carbs, 34% fat, 4% alcohol).
I'm not on a really high fruit diet (but way more than I used to eat).
Milk is new for me. Haven't really drank it in about 20 years.

Typical breakfast: 2 or 3 eggs & orange juice/fruit & coffee w/ cream.
Typical lunch: Rice mixed with beef & onions & mushrooms. Or fried potatoes in coconut oil with a lamb chop. Glass of milk or oj or both (or fruit).
Typical dinner: Similar to lunch.

In between meals I'll have milk & orange juice, or fruit & cheese.

Also eat the carrot salad & just started with gelatin.
Also just started oysters & shrimp & try to choke down some beef liver.

OP
S

Steve

What's funny is that I ate a gluten-free Domino's pizza late last night & had the best night of sleep I've had in a long time. Felt almost normal this morning too. Weird !
(I don't normally eat that crap, but my girlfriend ordered it for me while I was in the shower getting over my depression from my team losing against the Patriots).
If you sit a pizza in front of me I'm pretty much doomed. I'm going to eat it!!!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals