Thyroid Test Help

Jman12123

Hello. I’m 28 and have had symptoms of hyperthyroid all of my life including anxiety/nervousness, excessive sweating, rapid increase in heart rate when nervous or doing physical activity, hand tremor, heat intolerance, fatigue, and have always been skinny despite eating a lot. My mom had her thyroid removed when she was young due to similar problems and goiter/tumor so I finally decided to get some blood work done. If anyone could help me interpret the results I would really appreciate it. It seems these numbers are within the ranges the lab gave, but I wanted to see if anything looked off to anyone as I don’t have any prior experience with this.

Reverse T3 22.4 (9.2-24.1 ng/dL)

TSH 2.47 (0.45-4.5 uIU/mL)

Free T3 3.5 (2.0-4.4 pg/mL)

Free T4 1.57 (0.82-1.77 ng/dL)

Antithyroglubulin AB (TgAb) < 1 (0.0-0.9 IU/mL)

Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO) 18 (0-34 IU/mL)

Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) 18 (0-139 %)

Thyroxine Binding Globulin (TBG) 13 (13-39 ug/mL)

misery guts

Hey Jman, unfortunately I'm no more in the know that you are, however I found Chris Kresser's introduction - Thyroid Disorders to thyroid issues helpful. IIRC he mentions some of the reasons why people who are hypothyroid can still have normal results on a thyroid panel. If your results are within range but you're still symptomatic, perhaps trying NDT or T3 and seeing the results would be your best bet. Good luck!

tara

OP
J

Jman12123

Hey guys, sorry I didn't reply sooner. I actually asked about this on several forums and forgot I signed up here until I saw my email again.
Thanks for the welcome and the resources which I will definately check out.

As far as eating a lot goes Ive always had trouble putting on weight and was very scrawny coming out of high school at 130 lbs despite eating 3 meals a day. To be more specific the heaviest I've been is about 155 lbs two years ago and I had been eating around 3500 calories (while lifting heavy weights 2 or 3 times a week) a day for probably 5 or 6 months to come up from about 140. It was really a task eating so much and it seemed ridiculous to me to keep increasing calories after I plateaued at that point.

I haven't been training hard like I used to because I got tired of feeling like I was burning myself out. My heart rate always shoots up very quickly when i do something remotely strenuous and takes minutes of rest before it will come back down. It doesn't matter how much cardio I do or how much I build up slowly it's just a mystery that's always plagued me. I even overdid an endurance workout a few years ago and was having sharp stabbing chest pains the next day so went to the ER got ekg and some scans plus a heart monitor and everything checked out out fine with my heart. Before that theres several times i overdid it and had my heart racing even the next day because of it so i dont push myself like that anymore.

I would feel out of breath before i got far into my lifting workouts almost every time despite doing cardio to help with my endurance. As a result of the taking it easy on weight and just doing more bodyweight stuff I haven't been eating as much either so I'm 145ish right now. Sorry for writing a book but wanted to give some specifics of that.