Recalcitrant SIBO ongoing for 3 years

mostlylurking

Every day for nearly three years. It’s probably helping me from my digestion being a 1 or 0, but my digestion I would rate as a 3-4 the vast majority of days. If peristalsis isn’t moving at all the carrots feel painful going down.
I know. I was taking cascara twice daily for about 6 years before I found the thiamine hcl. Have you cut out all gluten? Are you taking magnesium?

opson123

Thank you. I haven’t had starch in over a year. It gives me instant upper bloating, burping, brain fog that doesn’t go away for several days. It’s painful to eat starch.

on good days I can do a little sugar. Usually though it gives me burping & bloating.
I was the same. When I had just messed up my gut almost a decade ago and was exhausted from trying different voodoo, I ate 200g of milk chocolate once a day and I did that for like two years. It was horrible, but I wasn't bloated 24/7 and I could sleep. Nothing I read on the internet ever worked and I figured these bandaids after trial and error.

If I had to pick just one of my suggestions, it'd definitely be the butter. If you are eating meat, then def try it.

Last edited:
OP
D

dogtrainer

I know. I was taking cascara twice daily for about 6 years before I found the thiamine hcl. Have you cut out all gluten? Are you taking magnesium?
Haven’t had gluten in over 3 years. Yes I take magnesium glycinate 400-600mg daily

OP
D

dogtrainer

I was the same. When I had just messed up my gut almost a decade ago and was exhausted from trying different voodoo, I ate 200g of milk chocolate once a day and I did that for like two years. It was horrible, but I wasn't bloated 24/7 and I could sleep. Nothing I read on the internet ever worked and I figured these bandaids after trial and error.

If I had to pick just one of my suggestions, it'd definitely be the butter. If you are eating meat, then def try it.
I eat butter & cream. ?

I cook meat and eggs in it, and cream in my coffee.

OP
D

dogtrainer

What is everyone’s opinion on zinc? Some say it raises stomach acid, some day it inhibits it’s secretion.

which is true and why?

opson123

I eat butter & cream. ?

I cook meat and eggs in it, and cream in my coffee.
Butter is awesome.

The weird thing about my gut issues is that even if I eat meat or eggs cooked in lots of butter, or in general eat really fatty and buttery "normal" foods, it's not enough and they still need that extra butter with each mouthful to avoid triggering gastroparesis and food getting stuck in my upper intestines.,

Hopefully you can find some relieve soon, I know the situation and it sucks. Good luck.

Sergey

32 year old female, symptoms (burping constantly, food not moving, delayed emptying) presented acutely after 6 years of keto and 1 year OMAD. Obviously this dietary strategy burdened my system and lowered digestive output. but I have been working at recovery for nearly 3 years and It seems no matter how “simple” or “digestible” I make my diet, the food just sits there and feeds bacteria.

one practitioner thought I had A B1 deficiency leading to dysautonomia. Megadosing B1 worked and I could eat 5 foods that month (yay!), but only for a month. Now no matter how much B1 I take the food just sits there.

same with thyroid. Can take high doses of T3 and still bloat, burp, constipated.

same with carrot salad.

I have tried everything under the sun and nothing has really worked persistently. When my digestion slows down I blow up to 6 months pregnant looking even after eating one bite of meat, one teaspoon of honey, or taking a sip of water. I have a complete and total loss of appetite. Food simply doesn’t appeal to me ; I only eat so I don’t pass out at work.

Even the supplements I take (B1, antimicrobials, ginger, cascara, magnesium etc) cause me to bloat up. Some days I feel like I don’t even have room for those pills.

This makes it extremely hard to concentrate.

i am to the point where I will probably need to see a doctor for some type of imaging. But any type of emptying study involves Ingesting radioactive Substances and it freaks me out.

I’m writing here to hear anyone else’s experiences fixing digestion like mine. I am trying not to lose hope.

why do things work for a month or two and then stop working? What am I missing to restore normal functioning to my organism? Am I permanently damaged from a lifetime of not feeding myself properly? what can be done to make stomach acid again?
Do you have lots of gas or “just” a big belly after eating/drinking which seem to come out of nowhere?
What is your reaction to probiotics?
How is your throat/teeth/gums/sinuses?
You might have an overgrowth of methane producing archaea which feeds of metabolites of other flora in the small intestine. That could cause huge problems with motility. It could also be oxalates produced by fungi, or most likely a combination of both.
Methane dominating environment leads to destruction of thiamine and drastic changes in the small intestinal flora. Archaea are hard to kill directly and since it feeds on hydrogen produced by bacteria antimicrobials could be effective but only short term.
During your keto years were you eating lots of red meat? And were you by any chance supplementing vitamins, for example b12?

OP
D

dogtrainer

Do you have lots of gas or “just” a big belly after eating/drinking which seem to come out of nowhere?
What is your reaction to probiotics?
How is your throat/teeth/gums/sinuses?
You might have an overgrowth of methane producing archaea which feeds of metabolites of other flora in the small intestine. That could cause huge problems with motility. It could also be oxalates produced by fungi, or most likely a combination of both.
Methane dominating environment leads to destruction of thiamine and drastic changes in the small intestinal flora. Archaea are hard to kill directly and since it feeds on hydrogen produced by bacteria antimicrobials could be effective but only short term.
During your keto years were you eating lots of red meat? And were you by any chance supplementing vitamins, for example b12?
Lots of gas that doesn’t really move downwards.

I tried yoghurt made with bifidobacteria last year, didn’t really help much.

My teeth are ok, my gums sometimes bleed when I brush because I’m not great at flossing. My tongue has a slightly white center, that seems to recede in patches (geographic tongue). I will have nice pink circles Amidst the white where the Papilla are normal/not inflamed. I’ve heard that a white tongue that can’t be scraped off is due to inflamed Papilla causing inappropriate calcification.

no halitosis outside of normal “I need to brush my teeth” stank.

that’s exactly my issue - antimicrobials work only for a short time. do you know anything that might kill archaea?

Yes I ate lots of red meat when keto. No, no B12 then.

GreekDemiGod

I take 2 grams of pure thiamine hcl powder a day, divided into two doses, one in the morning and one before 3:00 pm. I follow Dr. Costantini's recommendations here: HDT Therapy I spent about 2 months working up to this high dose. This works for me. I have a long history of gut issues; many people who wind up with Parkinson's Disease start out with gut issues. I developed autonomic nervous system issues, they got worse last fall. I started to get a tremor in my right hand (no more).

I eat a lot of dairy and cooked mushrooms or shredded raw carrot daily. I eat a lot of ripe oranges and orange juice. I eat a lot of gelatin. I eat eggs from my free range chickens. I eat oysters and also liver once a week. I do eat some muscle meat occasionally.

I avoid all nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, eggplant), also cantaloupe and other melons. These foods cause me allergic reactions. I avoid bananas and pineapple; these foods are high serotonin and I react badly to them. I had leaky gut for a long time; it caused a lot of food allergies. I do not eat nuts, seeds, grains (avoiding PUFA and gluten). I eat at home.
"
Oral thiamine should not be taken with juices or any sour beverage, water only.

"

This is ridiculous! What would the reasoning of this be?

Sergey

Lots of gas that doesn’t really move downwards.

I tried yoghurt made with bifidobacteria last year, didn’t really help much.

My teeth are ok, my gums sometimes bleed when I brush because I’m not great at flossing. My tongue has a slightly white center, that seems to recede in patches (geographic tongue). I will have nice pink circles Amidst the white where the Papilla are normal/not inflamed. I’ve heard that a white tongue that can’t be scraped off is due to inflamed Papilla causing inappropriate calcification.

no halitosis outside of normal “I need to brush my teeth” stank.

that’s exactly my issue - antimicrobials work only for a short time. do you know anything that might kill archaea?

Yes I ate lots of red meat when keto. No, no B12 then.
Are your gums receding by the way? And have you got any root canals?

Bifidobacteria based products (both probiotics and fermented food) can make situation worse in case of methane. At least some strains of bifido increase methane production, and many other bacteria would do too. Thats why antimicrobials work initially, less hydrogen and lactate->less “food” for methane production. But then something takes the place of killed bacteria, either other bugs or fungi. Its similar to sterilising mouth with chlorhexidine, initially its clean and later black hairy tongue appears due to some resistant microbes.
Very few things kill archaea directly, among them squalamine. But killing does not seem to be a right strategy for me, I’d rather go “repopulating” route. Restoring thiamine metabolism is very important, as I mentioned somewhere already, methanogenic archaea overgrowth in cows can be treated with thiamine and dietary modification. Restoring stomach and small intestine microbial balance is also important, and is related to thiamine. In particular, strains of L.Reuteri from Biogaia products are very promising.

Of course there can probably be many other explanations/treatment approaches of whats happening.

Do you have any anxiety by the way?

mostlylurking

please explain what where you issues and symptoms, don't want to give up false hopes to people.
This worked for me. Other people can try it or not. You cannot tell if it will help you unless you give it a try. I have posted my story numerous times on this forum; if you want to read it you can easily find it.

"
Oral thiamine should not be taken with juices or any sour beverage, water only.

"

This is ridiculous! What would the reasoning of this be?
No. It is not ridiculous. Dr. Costantini successfully treated Parkinson's Disease patients with high dose thiamine hcl. This doctor treated over 4,000 patients with great results over a period of about 9-10 years. Obviously he based these specific instructions on his experience. Read his papers; here are links:

click on the article, it will download as a pdf.

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
All B-vitamins are needed for optimal digestion, especially B3 (I like niacinamide). Have you tried high-dose progesterone (before bed) and digestive enzymes with meals?

T

TheBeard

32 year old female, symptoms (burping constantly, food not moving, delayed emptying) presented acutely after 6 years of keto and 1 year OMAD. Obviously this dietary strategy burdened my system and lowered digestive output. but I have been working at recovery for nearly 3 years and It seems no matter how “simple” or “digestible” I make my diet, the food just sits there and feeds bacteria.

one practitioner thought I had A B1 deficiency leading to dysautonomia. Megadosing B1 worked and I could eat 5 foods that month (yay!), but only for a month. Now no matter how much B1 I take the food just sits there.

same with thyroid. Can take high doses of T3 and still bloat, burp, constipated.

same with carrot salad.

I have tried everything under the sun and nothing has really worked persistently. When my digestion slows down I blow up to 6 months pregnant looking even after eating one bite of meat, one teaspoon of honey, or taking a sip of water. I have a complete and total loss of appetite. Food simply doesn’t appeal to me ; I only eat so I don’t pass out at work.

Even the supplements I take (B1, antimicrobials, ginger, cascara, magnesium etc) cause me to bloat up. Some days I feel like I don’t even have room for those pills.

This makes it extremely hard to concentrate.

i am to the point where I will probably need to see a doctor for some type of imaging. But any type of emptying study involves Ingesting radioactive Substances and it freaks me out.

I’m writing here to hear anyone else’s experiences fixing digestion like mine. I am trying not to lose hope.

why do things work for a month or two and then stop working? What am I missing to restore normal functioning to my organism? Am I permanently damaged from a lifetime of not feeding myself properly? what can be done to make stomach acid again?

Have you tried any form of antibiotics?
They work well to improve my appetite.

Have you tried pharmaceutical prokinetics? There’s a bunch of them. Low dose erythromycin is used also. Low dose naltrexone I think is also has that effect. For me ginger worked.

mostlylurking

All B-vitamins are needed for optimal digestion, especially B3 (I like niacinamide). Have you tried high-dose progesterone (before bed) and digestive enzymes with meals?
Yes, all B vitamins are important. If you are deficient in one, you are probably low in others as well, so a good B-complex is helpful.

OP
D

dogtrainer

Have you tried any form of antibiotics?
They work well to improve my appetite.
Yes four courses of rifaxamin and endless heavy doses of berberine allicin need cinnamon oregano oil and camphosal
Effects are short lived and become less effective over time

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals