Random Questions I've had for Peat which I cant find answers to

Mauritio

I got some answers from Ray on some random things.

"I had a friend who got an expensive “altitude tent”; it smelled so bad she couldn’t use it. I recently heard of a 15 year old boy who was using a creatine supplement, died of heart arrest. Bone meal was a popular supplement, until a published analysis showed very high lead content. Wire nets can provide EMF shielding if they are grounded."

"If someone had leprosy, scrofula, syphilis or unexplained granulomas and couldn’t get appropriate things such as penicillin, then a short trial of iodine wouldn’t be crazy. Medical use can’t be extrapolated to chronic large doses as a nutritional supplement. Have you seen the many studies of the hamful effects on the thyroid of regular iodide supplementation?"

"Used occasionally as a topical antiseptic, tincture of iodine is safe. Historically iodide has been used to treat a breast infection. That’s very different from the cult of daily use of large amounts of iodide, started by Guy Abraham." (he attached like 70 studies along with this comment)

The founder of the current iodine cult, Guy Abraham, was promoting iodine along with their radiation devices to protect against electromagnetic pollution. I couldn’t decide whether he really believed those things, or just used them to sell his product.

No, I have never recommended several milligram doses of iodide, and I have often pointed out the damage to the thyroid gland that even moderate iodide supplements can cause:

I have been hearing about some of the absurd recommendations that are being falsely associated with me, and I want to find reliable information about the person’s identity.

My computer doesn’t have a camera or microphone; I use a landline phone; the constant technological up-dates and innovations are doing more harm than good. Just thinking about, anticipating, sex increases testosterone, makes the whiskers grow faster; general good health keeps the increased testosterone from increasing estrogen and cortisol.

No. Occasionally, phobic ideas about nutrients circulate, including places like the raypeatforum, and milk phobia seems to be a chronic cultural problem.

Ordinarily, just thinking about, anticipating, sex increases testosterone and well being, but in a stressed hypothyroid person it’s possible that the testosterone produced by sexual arousal could be converted to estrogen.

It would be more helpful to read some physiology books instead of the internet. Almost everything there is exploitative, insane, stupid, or a blend of those.

There are lots of insane proposals on the internet, and that forum seems to be meeting its cuota.

I get it directly from farmers who don’t treat it, and then I skim it because I don’t want so much fat. Lactose promotes the absorption of calcium and probably other nutrients.

The organic milk I have had from various supermarkets, supposedly reliable brands, has often had an unpleasant taste and soured quickly, even when pasteurized, which I think indicates poor feeding and milking techniques. Sanitary milking practices and good feed—combined hay and pasture—produce clean milk with a good taste that doesn’t need pasteurization. I often heat the milk to speed separation of the cream.

I have averaged two quarts a day for a long time. The method of separating whey from casein determines how much calcium each has; neither by itself is as good.

I don’t eat, or recommend, that much protein. For years I drank a gallon per day. The calorie content of a gallon of whole milk is too much unless you are very active physically.

In the US, the incidence of cancer in young people is increasing; one of the factors is probably increased vaccinations.

The skin on the forehead is a poor indicator of core body temperature. Infrared radiation is safe.

asked about androsterone and 11 keto dht he said "
Not sufficient research to know of safety.

in response to me asking him I heard he used DHT in the last year often and liked it a lot : "
Internet silliness.
I have tried it, and experienced an effect from it, but it isn’t something I use or recommend except for extreme situations such as terminal cancer.

No, I said the opposite, that the final steroids, especially cortisol, estrogen, and aldosterone can have toxic harmful effects, and that cholesterol, pregnenolone, and progesterone are safe. Squalene is very susceptible to oxidation, e.g., blackheads. The claims of the cosmetic industry are just as likely to be false as those of the drug industry.

about pregnenolone turning into cortisol:
No, it just doesn’t work that way. “Can turn into" has nothing to do with how the organism works. It’s best to assume that everything on the internet is wrong—they are repeated thousands of times, on “reputable” sites, but it isn’t possible to learn anything useful by studying the great trash heap of the internet.

Cholesterol is converted to protective hormones in proportion to thyroid function. Cholesterol is bound inside the blood vessels, liver, brain, and other organs as a defense against PUFA toxicity.
They cause tissue damage, and cells combine them with cholesterol (as esters) for protection, but those esters accumulate in all the tissues with aging, and stresses liberate them, causing prion diseases and other protein folding forms of degeneration.

Natural honey is liquid, but if it’s exposed to dry air for a long time it dehydrates and crystallizes; that doesn’t lower its quality.

Dark honey is more likely to be irritating. The value is mostly the concentrated sugar, but there are small amounts of antioxidant materials.

The traditional Maasai diet of iron-deficient milk was supplemented by a small amount of iron-rich blood. Most common diets already have excessive iron.

He had a funny response with this one where he was critical:

John Ioannidis’ article “Why most research findings are false” is worth reading. Things discussed on “forums” aren’t. Ordinary corporate advertising has been supplemented by the much more economical practice of hiring product reviewers to slander competing products, joining multiple forums with their "unhappy experiences."
Specific vitamin and mineral deficiencies were discovered among impoverished people living on foods that were just available sources of energy, and they are rare when people can buy the foods they want. Government agencies serve the industries that they should regulate, and shouldn’t be trusted as reliable sources of information.
In the case of my friend's kid who was dying from diarrhea, appropriate foods weren’t being given in the hospital, and the 10 mg of vitamin B6 obviously served the purpose without depleting anything.
Your sentences "progesterone can apparently convert to cortisol and aldosterone especially in stressed organisms. apparently people have gained weight and had issues with it” wouldn’t be acceptable even in an English composition class, unless “apparently” could be backed up in some way with evidence.

Progesterone is an antagonist to aldosterone and cortisol. Experiments have shown clearly that pure pregnenolone, like pure progesterone, lowers cortisol in stressed animals with high cortisol. The price of a supplement, and the claims of its vendor, don’t have anything to do with its quality. Pure pregnenolone just doesn’t cause hormonal effects such as you mention. I haven’t recommended pregnenolone use for several years, since I started hearing about reactions that could only be caused by major impurities.

For more than 50 years, in animals and people pregnenolone didn’t have those effects. When it became "a product," dozens of little companies, with no experience in steroid production, began making it.
Water and flour are precursors of bread, but they don’t by themselves turn into bread. Chemistry charts aren’t physiology charts.
Do you consider FDA statements to be based on facts? Where can I find out about the “FDA warning”? It should be assumed that anything on the internet is false.

They misquote me. The foods I recommend, such as milk, cheese, eggs and sea foods contain taurine.

Some people promote almost anything. The foods I recommend contain chromium.

The book link I sent describes the absence of science behind the claims of essentiality.

The book explains that the idea of chromium as an essential nutrient doesn’t have a clear basis in science; it has become a cult to promote the very lucrative industry.

The purity of individual amino acids on the market has been a real issue, so their theoretical benefits have to be considered in relation to what’s available.

They live at very low temperatures that prevent the rapid fat breakdown that occurs at our temperature, but sharks do get cancer—that was just a story to create a market.

I don’t recommend supplements generally, because foods can provide them, and the supplements are always contaminated to some extent in the manufacturing process. In extreme cases I have recommended a small dose of pyridoxine hydrochloride which worked immediately and very well.

People say anything to sell their product. It’s in a wide range of foods. I’ve given small supplements for a variety of problems. The first time was a 2 year old child that had diarrhea that the hospital couldn’t control, and after 3 or 4 days they said she was within a few hours of dying; it was only at that point that the father dared to give her the supplement, and the diarrhea stopped almost immediately. My suggestion, in 1962, was based on old research. It’s effective for many problems related to the distribution of salts and water.
That doesn't read like anything I've heard or read from him before . He must have been in quite the mood...

Mauritio

it was due to specific supplements being recommended or something, and yeah he didnt name the website but it seems he knows of the forum maybe in his talks with Danny or something!
Danny actually asked him if he visited the rpf from time to time , to which he said no .
It was on one of his podcasts .

Danny actually asked him if he visited the rpf from time to time , to which he said no .
It was on one of his podcasts .
Why would Ray Peat visit this forum anymore with so much misquoting and nonsense? Like celebrities don't read the tabloids. Nevertheless all of this second hand information should be verified ;)

Mauritio

Why would Ray Peat visit this forum anymore with so much misquoting and nonsense? Like celebrities don't read the tabloids. Nevertheless all of this second hand information should be verified ;)
I was just confused that in such a short time span he first said he doesn't visit the forum , while this quote seems to imply that he does /did visit the forum?!

I think what Ray Peat ate (past tense) isn't necessarily what he eatss now aka fried masa chips all the time. I have heard somewhere, maybe one of his interviews, that he doesn't eat starches at all. I don't know if that has changed again, like what I eat is different every year. I know in his very old articles he ate a little rice and those masa chips, but some of those articles are decades old. In his earlier ones he talked about nor worrying about the quality of milk, but way back then we didn't have the cow's being injected with antibiotics and growth hormones. I bet he thinks differently now.

Th
Yeah I'm going to be posting less from now on... I don't know whose posts it was that pissed him off so much for him to explicitly name RPF, but I am a pretty frequent poster, so in case of the chance that it was some of mine... I'm going to be reading more, talking less...
That is exactly why I start my posts with quotes directly from him.

Thank you for this. It's rare to read Ray feisty like that but the information is very valuable.
Yeah, neither have I seen Peat come across so short and direct. Not sure if he was pissed off because it's the 1000th time he has answered these types of questions, or he is upset that people are misquoting him online. I would also like to see this posted in the email depository with better formatting so I can see which questions he is referring to in his answers. Thank you @Mr.Bollox
I get irritated when people boast about Ray Peat and then, riding his coattails, create a whole following for themselves, with differing opinions, only ending up half Ray Peat. It is very misleading. That is why I tune out everybody else except Ray Peat. Why do I care if somebody doesn't agree, it's their loss not mine.

OP
D

Dr. B

I was just confused that in such a short time span he first said he doesn't visit the forum , while this quote seems to imply that he does /did visit the forum?!
these were all answered over like a year or so timeframe i would have to check when he said that. im trying to go through them again so I can post them properly in the depository forum. im not sure hes visited it but he is aware of it!

also kind of funny but many times Peat would reply to an email and also CC himself in the response

Last edited:

Tenacity

That doesn't read like anything I've heard or read from him before . He must have been in quite the mood...

It's so unlike him I found myself questioning the authenticity. He has a very distinct writing style.

Yeah I'm going to be posting less from now on... I don't know whose posts it was that pissed him off so much for him to explicitly name RPF, but I am a pretty frequent poster, so in case of the chance that it was some of mine... I'm going to be reading more, talking less...
You made me laugh lampofred! I think we should all follow your wise words ?

I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. It's just a feeling. I'm always wary of e-mail exchanges because they can so easily be faked.
I agree. I would think the same if anything sounded conflictive with what he normally says. I am sure his opinions have differed throughout his decades of research, but science still remains the same.

OP
D

Dr. B

I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. It's just a feeling. I'm always wary of e-mail exchanges because they can so easily be faked.
Yep, its not totally reliable but ill try to post the questions I asked him. If Ive had doubts on Peats thoughts on something ive just emailed him... like with iodide or dht some were claiming he likes using those or is really into them... or like with pregnenolone even and then after emailing him I found out he said something entirely different. like there was a post on here saying Ray eats fried chicken every week and to not be so strict with PUFA intake that you never eat it (implying peat eats pufa fried chicken weekly) I emailed ray and he said he hasnt eaten in a restaurant since 1984 or something since he cant trust them and its too time consuming finding out which are trustworthy.
but is there a specific viewpoint of his you would say doesnt seem right? He does normally have a brief writing style with emails, so it was funny when he had the comment about the statement being unacceptable even in an english composition class.

Yep, its not totally reliable but ill try to post the questions I asked him. If Ive had doubts on Peats thoughts on something ive just emailed him... like with iodide or dht some were claiming he likes using those or is really into them... or like with pregnenolone even and then after emailing him I found out he said something entirely different. like there was a post on here saying Ray eats fried chicken every week and to not be so strict with PUFA intake that you never eat it (implying peat eats pufa fried chicken weekly) I emailed ray and he said he hasnt eaten in a restaurant since 1984 or something since he cant trust them and its too time consuming finding out which are trustworthy.
but is there a specific viewpoint of his you would say doesnt seem right? He does normally have a brief writing style with emails, so it was funny when he had the comment about the statement being unacceptable even in an english composition class.
I knew it was collective stuff! Thanks again for sharing!

That is so great about the chicken and restaurants! I never ever heard him say anything good about chicken, except that wings have the most to offer and him only eating it in Mexico when he knows they aren't fed corn and soy. It seemed like a splurge item, like his coconut fried bacon, to me.

OP
D

Dr. B

Yeah, neither have I seen Peat come across so short and direct. Not sure if he was pissed off because it's the 1000th time he has answered these types of questions, or he is upset that people are misquoting him online. I would also like to see this posted in the email depository with better formatting so I can see which questions he is referring to in his answers. Thank you @Mr.Bollox
Hey mate ive uploaded some of the questions on there im working on getting the rest uploaded

Energizer

Yeah, hard to tell sometimes. Anyway thanks for posting the responses with the questions, OP.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals