Random Questions I've had for Peat which I cant find answers to

OP
D

Dr. B

...thanks for posting those answers!

@Mr.Bollox What is that book called?

Hey Mate, I posted I think all the stuff i had along with context on the depository thread. a few of the questions like on iodine and polyethylene glycol had lengthy responses due to dr Peat attaching a bunch of studies.

Since ive gone through some old emails I found some other things I wanted to ask Peat about, let me know if youve got anything on any of these! I will post them later as it will take an hour or two to go through and find stuff he hasnt answered before!

wondering his thoughts on creatine/beta alanine, and if he believes the metabolic rate shrinks/increases the size of the penis, brain and other organs and glands depending on whether metabolism slows down or increases!
does he use mastic gum or any other chewing sticks/chewing gum?
his thoughts on the MK7 vitamin k2, and olive leaf extract, apple cider vinegar, nigella sativa oil/seeds, ground bovine bones?

Also, I got some funny and useful answers! I guess Dr Peat doesn't want to get too nitty gritty, here they are

Q: any other thoughts on altitude tents, would sleeping with your head under a pillow and blanket provide some benefits similar to bag breathing and high altitudes? its odd it smelled bad, maybe some odd materials or something.
are you sure the supplement was just creatine, many of these supplements are pre workout mixes with massive amounts of caffeine and sometimes other nutrients like citrulline, beta alanine, and all inds of other amino acids or stimulants. what are the risks to creatine, does it cause overmethylation symptoms.
some people get their whole room EMF proof using apparently silver paint to block EMF. and somehow they make their whole room high altitude by lowering air pressure and oxygen...
A: Supplements nearly always do more harm than good, but sometimes the right amount for a short time is necessary.
It’s easier to increase CO2 in a tightly weatherized house than to reduce the pressure and oxygen significantly, and CO2 protects against the damage done by excess oxygen.

Q: Mr Peat, what kind of women do you like, and do you think men with good metabolisms like women with bigger breasts and curves whereas men with lower metabolisms are more likely to be into other men. or does metabolism have little relevance to sexual orientation or the body shapes of women you like
A: I think a high and balanced metabolism improves judgment in all fields; form is more important than size.

that's the first ive heard Peat say supplements nearly always do more harm than good. i was hoping to get some of his specific thoughts on creatine, but that answer is still good. Also just a sidenote I'm not sure of orientation since I have met some gay dudes who had a very poor metabolism but also met some who appeared to have an excellent metabolism (perfect hairline, lean, etc). There were some other threads mentioning metabolism effecting or causing homosexuality, it may just be an individual thing.

OP
D

Dr. B

“Supplements nearly always do more harm than good” that’s an important quotation
yep, he has had some articles where he said he doesnt recommend supplements besides vitamin E and salt iirc. i thought he had recommended creatine before, maybe for specific conditions.

OP
D

Dr. B

Wtf? Height? How?
dhea is the puberty hormone, i guess people who didnt have a complete puberty, probably due to endocrine disruptors etc, could potentially gain things like height from dhea. i think ray only used a few mg btw, and hes said teenagers produce 15mg a day

Eberhardt

I can answer his teeth, he said he rotted them out in the 60's or 70's experimenting with large amounts of wheat germ. He also said he had mouth cancer, I imagine from the wheat germ, that he cured himself. Geeze my dad was on a wheat germ kick back then too. I am so glad we got away from that. It is tasty though!
he told in another interview that he cured the cancer himself by rubbing obscene (my wording) amounts of Vitamin A on his cheecks. It sounded that it was in the beginning stages of cancer but I dont know the details. Personally I guess that worked as some sort of chemo, in the same way superhigh doses of vitamin c injections are used. (meaning not its anti-oxidant abilities - all things are dose dependant)

Eberhardt

I think what Ray Peat ate (past tense) isn't necessarily what he eatss now aka fried masa chips all the time. I have heard somewhere, maybe one of his interviews, that he doesn't eat starches at all. I don't know if that has changed again, like what I eat is different every year. I know in his very old articles he ate a little rice and those masa chips, but some of those articles are decades old. In his earlier ones he talked about nor worrying about the quality of milk, but way back then we didn't have the cow's being injected with antibiotics and growth hormones. I bet he thinks differently now.
in his latest interview with one radio network, he tells that he is eating some tortillas, usually storebought but always nixtamalized.

in his latest interview with one radio network, he tells that he is eating some tortillas, usually storebought but always nixtamalized.

Here was the last I heard....

Apr 25, 2016

Jayfish e-mail

Question: do you believe a fiber free diet is possible in context of gut health and transit time for elimination.

"I’ve had a fiber-free diet for many years."-Ray Peat

he told in another interview that he cured the cancer himself by rubbing obscene (my wording) amounts of Vitamin A on his cheecks. It sounded that it was in the beginning stages of cancer but I dont know the details. Personally I guess that worked as some sort of chemo, in the same way superhigh doses of vitamin c injections are used. (meaning not its anti-oxidant abilities - all things are dose dependant)

I have heard him write about vitamin C intravenously being powerful against cancer.

Eberhardt

Here was the last I heard....

Apr 25, 2016

Jayfish e-mail

Question: do you believe a fiber free diet is possible in context of gut health and transit time for elimination.

"I’ve had a fiber-free diet for many years."-Ray Peat
yeah this was last week :) He also sais there that super high fiber can be good against parasites

rijo

View: https://youtu.be/UDRBM-8cYSo?t=4246

Not married, but I think he has the same girlfriend for many decades. He said that in a fairly recent interview, but I can't find it.

He repigmented his hair succesfully with copper dissolved in aspirin. But using too much caused moles to grow, so he stopped. He said a safer way to keep haircolour would be to eat a lot of oysters. I don't know why his hair is grey though, maybe he doesn't want to eat too many oysters because of the iron. I would like to know what he would say about it, too.

upload_2018-3-30_0-24-7-png.8854

Here's another one where he answers that question (found via bioenergetic.life):

View: https://youtu.be/HWBqzz3lguo?t=2770

I got some answers from Ray on some random things.

"I had a friend who got an expensive “altitude tent”; it smelled so bad she couldn’t use it. I recently heard of a 15 year old boy who was using a creatine supplement, died of heart arrest. Bone meal was a popular supplement, until a published analysis showed very high lead content. Wire nets can provide EMF shielding if they are grounded."

"If someone had leprosy, scrofula, syphilis or unexplained granulomas and couldn’t get appropriate things such as penicillin, then a short trial of iodine wouldn’t be crazy. Medical use can’t be extrapolated to chronic large doses as a nutritional supplement. Have you seen the many studies of the hamful effects on the thyroid of regular iodide supplementation?"

"Used occasionally as a topical antiseptic, tincture of iodine is safe. Historically iodide has been used to treat a breast infection. That’s very different from the cult of daily use of large amounts of iodide, started by Guy Abraham." (he attached like 70 studies along with this comment)

The founder of the current iodine cult, Guy Abraham, was promoting iodine along with their radiation devices to protect against electromagnetic pollution. I couldn’t decide whether he really believed those things, or just used them to sell his product.

No, I have never recommended several milligram doses of iodide, and I have often pointed out the damage to the thyroid gland that even moderate iodide supplements can cause:

I have been hearing about some of the absurd recommendations that are being falsely associated with me, and I want to find reliable information about the person’s identity.

My computer doesn’t have a camera or microphone; I use a landline phone; the constant technological up-dates and innovations are doing more harm than good. Just thinking about, anticipating, sex increases testosterone, makes the whiskers grow faster; general good health keeps the increased testosterone from increasing estrogen and cortisol.

No. Occasionally, phobic ideas about nutrients circulate, including places like the raypeatforum, and milk phobia seems to be a chronic cultural problem.

Ordinarily, just thinking about, anticipating, sex increases testosterone and well being, but in a stressed hypothyroid person it’s possible that the testosterone produced by sexual arousal could be converted to estrogen.

It would be more helpful to read some physiology books instead of the internet. Almost everything there is exploitative, insane, stupid, or a blend of those.

There are lots of insane proposals on the internet, and that forum seems to be meeting its cuota.

I get it directly from farmers who don’t treat it, and then I skim it because I don’t want so much fat. Lactose promotes the absorption of calcium and probably other nutrients.

The organic milk I have had from various supermarkets, supposedly reliable brands, has often had an unpleasant taste and soured quickly, even when pasteurized, which I think indicates poor feeding and milking techniques. Sanitary milking practices and good feed—combined hay and pasture—produce clean milk with a good taste that doesn’t need pasteurization. I often heat the milk to speed separation of the cream.

I have averaged two quarts a day for a long time. The method of separating whey from casein determines how much calcium each has; neither by itself is as good.

I don’t eat, or recommend, that much protein. For years I drank a gallon per day. The calorie content of a gallon of whole milk is too much unless you are very active physically.

In the US, the incidence of cancer in young people is increasing; one of the factors is probably increased vaccinations.

The skin on the forehead is a poor indicator of core body temperature. Infrared radiation is safe.

asked about androsterone and 11 keto dht he said "
Not sufficient research to know of safety.

in response to me asking him I heard he used DHT in the last year often and liked it a lot : "
Internet silliness.
I have tried it, and experienced an effect from it, but it isn’t something I use or recommend except for extreme situations such as terminal cancer.

No, I said the opposite, that the final steroids, especially cortisol, estrogen, and aldosterone can have toxic harmful effects, and that cholesterol, pregnenolone, and progesterone are safe. Squalene is very susceptible to oxidation, e.g., blackheads. The claims of the cosmetic industry are just as likely to be false as those of the drug industry.

about pregnenolone turning into cortisol:
No, it just doesn’t work that way. “Can turn into" has nothing to do with how the organism works. It’s best to assume that everything on the internet is wrong—they are repeated thousands of times, on “reputable” sites, but it isn’t possible to learn anything useful by studying the great trash heap of the internet.

Cholesterol is converted to protective hormones in proportion to thyroid function. Cholesterol is bound inside the blood vessels, liver, brain, and other organs as a defense against PUFA toxicity.
They cause tissue damage, and cells combine them with cholesterol (as esters) for protection, but those esters accumulate in all the tissues with aging, and stresses liberate them, causing prion diseases and other protein folding forms of degeneration.

Natural honey is liquid, but if it’s exposed to dry air for a long time it dehydrates and crystallizes; that doesn’t lower its quality.

Dark honey is more likely to be irritating. The value is mostly the concentrated sugar, but there are small amounts of antioxidant materials.

The traditional Maasai diet of iron-deficient milk was supplemented by a small amount of iron-rich blood. Most common diets already have excessive iron.

He had a funny response with this one where he was critical:

John Ioannidis’ article “Why most research findings are false” is worth reading. Things discussed on “forums” aren’t. Ordinary corporate advertising has been supplemented by the much more economical practice of hiring product reviewers to slander competing products, joining multiple forums with their "unhappy experiences."
Specific vitamin and mineral deficiencies were discovered among impoverished people living on foods that were just available sources of energy, and they are rare when people can buy the foods they want. Government agencies serve the industries that they should regulate, and shouldn’t be trusted as reliable sources of information.
In the case of my friend's kid who was dying from diarrhea, appropriate foods weren’t being given in the hospital, and the 10 mg of vitamin B6 obviously served the purpose without depleting anything.
Your sentences "progesterone can apparently convert to cortisol and aldosterone especially in stressed organisms. apparently people have gained weight and had issues with it” wouldn’t be acceptable even in an English composition class, unless “apparently” could be backed up in some way with evidence.

Progesterone is an antagonist to aldosterone and cortisol. Experiments have shown clearly that pure pregnenolone, like pure progesterone, lowers cortisol in stressed animals with high cortisol. The price of a supplement, and the claims of its vendor, don’t have anything to do with its quality. Pure pregnenolone just doesn’t cause hormonal effects such as you mention. I haven’t recommended pregnenolone use for several years, since I started hearing about reactions that could only be caused by major impurities.

For more than 50 years, in animals and people pregnenolone didn’t have those effects. When it became "a product," dozens of little companies, with no experience in steroid production, began making it.
Water and flour are precursors of bread, but they don’t by themselves turn into bread. Chemistry charts aren’t physiology charts.
Do you consider FDA statements to be based on facts? Where can I find out about the “FDA warning”? It should be assumed that anything on the internet is false.

They misquote me. The foods I recommend, such as milk, cheese, eggs and sea foods contain taurine.

Some people promote almost anything. The foods I recommend contain chromium.

The book link I sent describes the absence of science behind the claims of essentiality.

The book explains that the idea of chromium as an essential nutrient doesn’t have a clear basis in science; it has become a cult to promote the very lucrative industry.

The purity of individual amino acids on the market has been a real issue, so their theoretical benefits have to be considered in relation to what’s available.

They live at very low temperatures that prevent the rapid fat breakdown that occurs at our temperature, but sharks do get cancer—that was just a story to create a market.

I don’t recommend supplements generally, because foods can provide them, and the supplements are always contaminated to some extent in the manufacturing process. In extreme cases I have recommended a small dose of pyridoxine hydrochloride which worked immediately and very well.

People say anything to sell their product. It’s in a wide range of foods. I’ve given small supplements for a variety of problems. The first time was a 2 year old child that had diarrhea that the hospital couldn’t control, and after 3 or 4 days they said she was within a few hours of dying; it was only at that point that the father dared to give her the supplement, and the diarrhea stopped almost immediately. My suggestion, in 1962, was based on old research. It’s effective for many problems related to the distribution of salts and water.

This is the thread I was referring to Mr. Bollox with your e-mails from Ray Peat.

Vajra

No, it just doesn’t work that way. “Can turn into" has nothing to do with how the organism works. It’s best to assume that everything on the internet is wrong—they are repeated thousands of times, on “reputable” sites, but it isn’t possible to learn anything useful by studying the great trash heap of the internet.
On a serious note, I think about this one sometimes.
For example, it seems reductionistic to say something like "if you have more testosterone, you'll have more of it to turn into DHT", but how do you know if that's inaccurate? I'm wondering if anyone has recommended further reading on the intelligence of the endocrine system and how it decides these kind of things?

Peatress

I think we might need the services of a good linguist to determine if Dr Peat would have used the term ‘great trash heap of the internet’

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals