Quick go to remedies for constipation?

Josh

I’ve always been really good in this department but since experimenting with milk and mild cheese the past 2 months, (which are not compatible with me WHAT so ever) They’ve left me with constipation that I didn’t have before.

What are some supplements/foods etc that would be a quick fix for constipation in the short term? While I find out what’s causing it in the long term?

(Just looking for easy supplements, etc, not crazy things, something like magnesium glycInate?

Ray Peat suggests Casacara Sagrada, and it does work very well. A spoonful of coconut oil in coffee or just a straight spoonful stimulates the liver to get things moving too. Dandilion, Milk Thistle and "bitters" are also good to add to your arsenal.

bogbody

seconding cascara. milk of magnesia or magnesium citrate work in the short term very well also.

Oh man
seconding cascara. milk of magnesia or magnesium citrate work in the short term very well also.
Milk of Magnesia is really good too! I can't believe I didn't put that in my list! A high dose of vitamin C works too.

AlaskaJono

Salt Water is cheap and works a treat. One large glass of warm/hot water with dissolved salt should do the trick. Drink more if it has been a few days.

Vileplume

Highly salted water works well for me too in a pinch. Usually @Rinse & rePeat I’ll go for a tablespoon in a warm glass of water, maybe 10 ounces.

Also enemas work well. I think for some, sticking a tube up your butt can feel intrusive, but it definitely helps constipation and leaves your stomach feeling nice n empty after.

AlaskaJono

How much salt to water?
I use enough salt to taste Salty! Literally more than a miso soup salty. For me that is not even 1/8 tsp for a large glass.
Also, I cannot believe that I forgot to mention a strong cup of coffee. That usually enacts the peristalsis movement.... . ;-)

AllThingsPeat

It's most likely the A1 casein, which is cleaved into opioid peptides that bind μ-opioid receptors in the gut, decreasing gut motility as a consequence. Coffee can help with this, as it contains caffeoyl quinide—an opioid antagonist as powerful as naloxone (the latter of these two having formerly been used to treat patients experiencing heroin overdoses). Alternatively you could try A2, goat, or sheep dairy, as these are comprised mostly of A2 casein.

You need to browse the forum more. Dairy-induced constipation is something that the late @Travis wrote about in countless posts.

I use enough salt to taste Salty! Literally more than a miso soup salty. For me that is not even 1/8 tsp for a large glass.
Also, I cannot believe that I forgot to mention a strong cup of coffee. That usually enacts the peristalsis movement.... . ;-)

Double shot espresso's! Oh fresh pineapple works really good too!

Highly salted water works well for me too in a pinch. Usually @Rinse & rePeat I’ll go for a tablespoon in a warm glass of water, maybe 10 ounces.

Also enemas work well. I think for some, sticking a tube up your butt can feel intrusive, but it definitely helps constipation and leaves your stomach feeling nice n empty after.

What a chore!

Vileplume

Gotta get me some fresh ripe pineapple. I always just find the green ones in super markets.

Do you mean enemas? Haha they kind of are, but not as bad as cleaning my room.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Yeah I am making a Dulce de Leche sauce right now to drizzle on grilled fresh pineapple later tonight!

Brass

Not sure if this helps dairy-related constipation, but one of the amino acids (I think typtophan) is supposed to help constipation. But I'm finding taking essential amino acids to help my case.

Vins7

It's most likely the A1 casein, which is cleaved into opioid peptides that bind μ-opioid receptors in the gut, decreasing gut motility as a consequence. Coffee can help with this, as it contains caffeoyl quinide—an opioid antagonist as powerful as naloxone (the latter of these two having formerly been used to treat patients experiencing heroin overdoses). Alternatively you could try A2, goat, or sheep dairy, as these are comprised mostly of A2 casein.

You need to browse the forum more. Dairy-induced constipation is something that the late @Travis wrote about in countless posts.
So, is not a problem any product of goat or sheep dairy?

AllThingsPeat

So, is not a problem any product of goat or sheep dairy?
Correct. I think goat and sheep dairy have about 1/10th the A1 casein content of cow dairy.

professor_sue

I’ve always been really good in this department but since experimenting with milk and mild cheese the past 2 months, (which are not compatible with me WHAT so ever) They’ve left me with constipation that I didn’t have before.

What are some supplements/foods etc that would be a quick fix for constipation in the short term? While I find out what’s causing it in the long term?

(Just looking for easy supplements, etc, not crazy things, something like magnesium glycInate?
Not magnesium glycinate. Magnesium Oxide in higher doses works pretty well for some people as does magnesium citrate. I use cascara sagrada personally, when I need it. The other recommendations in the thread are great, too!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals