Potato diet and blood sugar experiment

OP
Serge

Serge

I think I've come across an explanation, at least partially, why adding pretty much anything to my potato diet leads to higher blood sugar. Normally, dietary glucose and fat are named as opponents in a diet of people with insulin resistance, but look at this (machine translation, but pretty clear I think):

More than 30 years ago, the association of branched BCAA amino acids with insulin resistance was discovered [14, 15, 20] and has been repeatedly confirmed subsequently. Surprisingly, BCAA amino acids, rather than lipid metabolism indicators, are the main markers most closely associated with insulin sensitivity, which was confirmed in studies involving individuals suffering from metabolic syndrome [25] and in groups of Chinese and Asian men with "relatively low body weight". [62] Elevated baseline BCAA concentrations were associated with progressive deterioration of glucose tolerance and glucose distribution index over time in adolescents after 2.3±0.6 years of follow-up. [65] In the "Fiehn" study [16] it was shown that leucine and valine from more than 350 metabolites were increased in African-American women suffering from DM-2. After 12 years of follow-up, when comparing 189 individuals who developed diabetes mellitus and 189 individuals who did not develop it, identical in weight, lipid profile and other clinical indicators, five metabolites had the highest significant association with the development of diabetes in the future - leucine, isoleucine, valine, phenylalanine and tyrosine. These and other results [56, 57, 58, 34, 72] The potential key role of amino acid metabolism in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance is emphasized. [70]

14. Felig Р., Marliss E., Cahill G.F., et al. Plasma amino acid levels and insulin secretion in obesity // Med. 1969; 281:811–816.
15. Felig P., Wahren J., Hendler R., Brundin, T.J. Splanchnic glucose and amino acid metabolism in obesity // Clin. Invest. 1974; 53:582–590.
20. Gougeon R., Morais J.A., Chevalier S., Pereira S., Lamarche M., Marliss E.B. Determinants of whole-body protein metabolism in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes // Diabetes Care. 2008; 31:128–133.
34. Laferrère B., Reilly D., Arias S., Swerdlow N., Gorroochurn P., Bawa B., Bose M., et al. Differential metabolic impact of gastric bypass surgery versus dietary intervention in obese diabetic subjects despite identical weight loss // Sci. Transl. Med. 2011; 3:re2.
56. Seibert R., Abbasi F., Hantash M.F., et al Relationship between insulin resistance and amino acids in women and men // Physiological Reports. 2015; 3(5).
57. Shah S.H., Bain J.R., Muehlbauer M.J., Stevens R.D., et al. Association of a peripheral blood metabolic profile with coronary artery disease and risk of subsequent cardiovascular events // Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2010; 3:207–214.
58. Shah S.H., Crosslin D.R., Haynes C., et al. Branched chain amino acids levels are associated with improvement in insulin resistance with weight loss // Diabetologia. 2012; 55:321–330.
62. Tai E.-S., Tan M.L.S., Stevens R.D., et al. Insulin resistance is associated with a metabolic profile of altered protein metabolism in Chinese and Asian-Indian men // Diabetologia. 2010; 53:757–767.
65. Tricò D., Prinsen H., et al. Elevated α-Hydroxybutyrate and BCAA Levels Predict Deterioration of Glycemic Control in Adolescents // J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017; [Epub ahead of print].
70. Wang T.J., Larson M.G., Vasan R.S., Cheng S., Rhee E.P., et al. Metabolite profiles and the risk of developing diabetes // Nat. Med. 2011; 17:448–453.
72. Würtz P., Tiainen М., et al. Circulating metabolite predictors of glycemia in middle‐aged men and women // Diabetes Care. 2012; 35:1749–1751.

I think I'll stay away from my gelatine and bone broth storages for a while, even though they are good for improving the liver function and structure. But I guess coping with insulin resistance comes before that... do you think?
I am on potato diet now, in 2-3 weeks I will try to add much more fat to it and see if the low morning BG achieved through the HC diet will be affected. Say, instead of 3 kilos of potatoes with 10 grams of fat daily I will be consuming 1,5 kilos of potato and 100-120 grams of fat.

baccheion

I think I've come across an explanation, at least partially, why adding pretty much anything to my potato diet leads to higher blood sugar. Normally, dietary glucose and fat are named as opponents in a diet of people with insulin resistance, but look at this (machine translation, but pretty clear I think):

I think I'll stay away from my gelatine and bone broth storages for a while, even though they are good for improving the liver function and structure. But I guess coping with insulin resistance comes before that... do you think?
I am on potato diet now, in 2-3 weeks I will try to add much more fat to it and see if the low morning BG achieved through the HC diet will be affected. Say, instead of 3 kilos of potatoes with 10 grams of fat daily I will be consuming 1,5 kilos of potato and 100-120 grams of fat.
What about the amylase trick with the tongue? How did that affect blood sugar.

Vinny

@Serge do you lose fat on this diet?

Vinny

cremes

For the New Year 2023, I plan to do 30 days of potato hacking. I'll probably do 3 days per week of 2-4 lbs potatoes plus my usual supplements. I may fry some of them in coconut oil and salt liberally. The other 3 or 4 days of the week I'll be eating a simple protein + veggie (e.g. hamburger plus broccoli).

I just got some Pyrucet from IdeaLabs so I'll add that to the mix and see what happens. I'll report here.

cremes

Looks like the SlimeMoldTimeMold guys did another follow up on their potato diet experiment from earlier this year. This time they had people supplement KCl directly (Nu-Salt) and it resulted in weight loss. Interesting.

So I looked over this chart and wondered why potatoes with a very high insulinogenic index cause your blood sugar to be low in the morning, yet meat not so much with it's low insulinogenic index.

Is this because both are contributing to blood glucose yet meat isn't giving a big enough burst of insulin to clean up the glucose?

OP
Serge

Serge

So I looked over this chart and wondered why potatoes with a very high insulinogenic index cause your blood sugar to be low in the morning, yet meat not so much with it's low insulinogenic index.

Is this because both are contributing to blood glucose yet meat isn't giving a big enough burst of insulin to clean up the glucose?

I don't think those indexes matter much to be honest, it's some sort of a mechanical approach to a complex problem. I think the meat makes the liver want make more sugar from the protein, for whatever reason, even through the night. Maybe it's just the free aminoacids floating around and asking to be turned into sugar I don't know. I just made a conclusion for myself that if I eat meat, I need to be ready to expect +(2-3mmol/l) (35-55) higher blood sugar during that day, that's all.
All I have left to check is what happens when I add more fat while still on the potato diet (that is, way more fat less potato, protein only that's in potato).
I shall probably also consider bananas (plenty of potassium like in potato, sweet taste). See what happens by spring...

it resulted in weight loss. Interesting.
morrrr potataaaaaa!!! :)

have you tried milk thistle? I am taking it for my liver, but everywhere I read they talk about how it lowers blood sugar and is an insulin sensitizer which sounds pretty exciting to me...

"a substance from milk thistle has been shown to possess peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ (PPARγ) agonist properties. PPARγ is the molecular target of thiazolidinediones, which are used clinically as insulin sensitizers to lower blood glucose levels in diabetes type 2 patients"

OP
Serge

Serge

Hi, unfortunately I had to stop eating this way by February because of the quality of potatoes available in winter. They are soft and giving offshoots, and not taste that good. Don't want to stuff myself with solanin. Now I'm beginning to see good quality potatoes imported from somewhere, so as soon as there's a stable supply of good quality potatoes (local harvest is June at best), I will be back to this diet.

I recently came across information about RedOx potential of water, never heard about it before - measured in millivolts, bottle and tap water seem to be like +200mv, water from natural springs, though varied. tends to be in the negative, and if you add to water things like oats or onions, the value goes from positive to around -400mv in like 24 hours. Any ideas about this redox thing and its benefit? Onion water has helped me greatly on my fasting days, I really am not so hungry drinking it. Well, maybe due to the little sugars hehe...

OP
Serge

Serge

I'm resuming eating only potatoes from today. I'll start measuring my morning blood glucose in a week's time, April 22, see if it improves by May.

OP
Serge

Serge

Whoops! I totally forgot that in the upcoming 2-3 weeks we shall have this free lunch of micro salmon (capelin fish I guess). Something I don't want to miss, so it will be a modified potato/capelin diet till early May.

8324e6s-960.jpg

Last edited:

ollbin

Forum Supporter
I don't think those indexes matter much to be honest, it's some sort of a mechanical approach to a complex problem. I think the meat makes the liver want make more sugar from the protein, for whatever reason, even through the night. Maybe it's just the free aminoacids floating around and asking to be turned into sugar I don't know. I just made a conclusion for myself that if I eat meat, I need to be ready to expect +(2-3mmol/l) (35-55) higher blood sugar during that day, that's all.
All I have left to check is what happens when I add more fat while still on the potato diet (that is, way more fat less potato, protein only that's in potato).
I shall probably also consider bananas (plenty of potassium like in potato, sweet taste). See what happens by spring...

morrrr potataaaaaa!!! :)
If I am right, a protein cause a glucagon release from the liver, so your body will use glucose storage. However, potato get digested and converted to glucose.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals