Critique This Article From Charles Poliquin

Ryan999

Tip #5: Avoid Sugar, Grains & Manage Your Glycemic Index
Testosterone is temporarily reduced by having your blood sugar spike, and low T is pretty much a given if you have diabetes. For example, a new study found that men who had normal insulin health had a 25 percent decrease in T after ingesting a drink containing sugar. T remained low for 2 hours, and nearly 80 percent of the men had their T drop to levels that would be considered clinical testosterone deficiency.

This study tested an acute or one time spike in blood sugar, but if your blood sugar is elevated over and over again, the entire hormonal cascade will be thrown off and you will suffer from chronically low T. We saw in #4 how lack of sleep alters blood sugar management and insulin health, resulting in lower T and higher cortisol. With an unfavorable ratio of T to cortisol, you will experience a catabolic or tissue-degrading state, leading to muscle loss, and greater fat accumulation.

Solve High Blood Sugar/Low T: The solution is to eat for optimal T by managing your blood sugar response to food. This means that you should avoid foods that are quickly digested and lead your blood sugar to increase rapidly—glucose and other sugars are obvious, but many grains and all refined or processed foods should be eliminated from your diet.

Eat high-quality protein, healthy fats, and low-glycemic carbohydrates like vegetables and low-sugar fruits. If you do eat foods that elevate blood sugar, pair them with foods that help moderate insulin and glucose—the herb fenugreek has been found to produce a lower glucose response when it is baked in whole grain bread or added to oatmeal. Berries and nuts have also been found to aid in lowering the glycemic response to high-carb foods.

Curt :-)

I used to be a massive CP fan, I even got a BioSignature certification. His methods are completely anti-Peat but they work. Most of the serious "Poliquin disciples" I've met/seen online are fricken monsters. And I never heard of any of those guys having thyroid issues. Charles' response to "I feel ***t on low carb" was to eat more salt, which makes sense in a Peat context I guess.
But anyways, I don't know what to make of the article or the study. Everyone talks studies, it doesn't seem to mean ***t anymore. There's a study to disprove everything that ever gets "proved" in a study.
My 2 cents

jyb

Yes, drinking pure sucrose alone creates stress. RP's articles are a lot about stable blood glucose.

That said, if you are hungry, what's worse - a spike of insulin and decrease in T, or an increase in other stress hormones due to insufficient glucose?

Herbie

When I was a Personal Trainer I used to follow Charles and bought his books.

Charles Poliquin said he had a series of heart attacks in 1994 and was due to mercury poisoning from teeth fillings. He said the mercury blocks conversion of t4 to t3. I think there were other factors which lead to the heart attacks.

Charles Poliquin - No Holds Barred Interview (2005)

IMO he doesn't appear to be healthy looks and acts very tired and angry and has a very inflamed stomach. He is a proponent of resveratrol, eating of nuts, whey protein, green leafy vegetables, muscle meat, fish oil, low carb, eccentric training.

Entropy

Arthroscopy, 2002. Randomized Controlled Double Blind Placebo Study: Charles Poliquin and Blood flow
Objective: To determine how much blood flow to Charles Poliquin's brain decreases while redirecting to his biceps.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Palerider Please critique this red light device Red Light, Infrared, LLLT 1
Such_Umami Critique This Fasting Protocol Ask For Help or Advice 7
jamies33 Please Critique My Daily Routine - Hit Plateau In Energy Miscellaneous 7
Inaut #02: Danny Roddy - Zero-Carb & Carnivore Diet Critique With Ex-Carnivore Kyle Mamounis, PhD Blogs 1
T Please Critique My Blood Work After 5+ Peat Inspired :) Blood Work, Labs 4
jzeno Critique My Diet Discussing Dietary Models 10
P Please Critique A Diet Staple Of Mine Diet 4
B Critique My Stack For Ultimate BONE GAINS Ask For Help or Advice 62
KalosKaiAgathos My Theory Of Stress - Which Is A Response To Peat's Critique Of Hormesis Stress 23
W Comment/critique My Diet And Supplement Regimen Diet 10
Dopamine Critique My Diet Diet 16
G Dr. Savely Yurkovsy's critique of current medical models Miscellaneous Health Discussions 0
E "Hungry for Change" documentary critique? Resources 0
Jam The mechanisms of action of Ivermectin against SARS-CoV-2: An evidence-based clinical review article Scientific Studies 1
C Interesting article by dr. J.Mercola Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 1
S-VV Absolutely WILD wikipedia article (uses G. LING as a reference) Scientific Studies 3
burtlancast Has orthomolecular.org and Andrew Saul sold out ? No article about Ivermectin and it's record vs Covid Miscellaneous Health Discussions 5
livesimply Amazing article: Vitamin C and Coronavirus: Not a Vaccine, Just a Humble Cure Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 12
M Weston price pufa article Polyunsaturated Fats, Seed Oils 0
bzmazu I like this German article on coffee... Caffeine 3
Jon2547 Global Deep State article Rant or Rave 0
Rick K Enlightened article on racism in America (not) Society 0
pauljacob Linus Pauling Institute article implicates Saturated Fats as Unhealthy Diet 10
RyanHeeney I wrote an article on saturated fat and sugar... Diet 56
RyanHeeney I wrote an article on methylene blue... Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 91
A Article - Melanoma patients respond to immunotherapy after changes to gut microbiome Articles & Scientific Studies 0
A Anti-Peat article on google Diet 12
B Article On DHT’s role in hair modulation Hair & Nails 0
A Article - Did Chinese scientists find autism’s missing puzzle piece? Articles & Scientific Studies 2
mrchibbs Newspaper Article: A Third Of COVID-19 Deaths Would Have Occured Anyway Miscellaneous Health Discussions 2
Drareg Forbes Censoring An Article About WHO Fake Pandemic Articles & Scientific Studies 3
Drareg NY Times Article In 2007 On PCR Testing Political Talk, Alternative World Theories 19
L Looking For An Article That I Can't Find Anymore Ask For Help or Advice 1
RealNeat Very Interesting, Very Long SARSCOV2 Article Health 1
C Great Article On NAD+:NADH Ratio And The Randle Cycle Metabolism 6
Mauritio Mainstream Article: "Slowing Down -- Is Aging Caused By Decreased Cellular Metabolism?" Scientific Studies 1
A Article On How Auto-brewery System (ABS), Aka Gut Fermentation Syndrome Can Cause DUI Digestion 0
A Article On 'Coffee Naps' Coffee 2
A Real Definition Of Authoritarian Article Articles & Scientific Studies 3
Light Need Help Getting An Article Ask For Help or Advice 0
T Cancer Is Caused By Nanobacteria Or Nanoviruses - Article By Scientist Cancer 11
cinderella An Interesting Article About Breathing, Hormones And Hair Loss Hair & Nails 1
Blossom Timely Article-Is Medicine Overrated? The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 8
D Anyone Seen Rays New Article Articles & Newsletters Discussion 5
Broken man Article About Evolution, Thyroid And Heart Regeneration, What Do You Think? Heart, Heart Rate, Blood Pressure 15
T Is Schizophrenia Caused By Parasites? Interesting Article Mind, Sleep, Stress 7
johnwester130 A Must Read Article On Gelatin Gelatin 2
Mr. God of Cars Did Ray Peat Delete An Article? Ask For Help or Advice 4
U Well Well. NY Times Posted An Article Regarding Salt Sodium 19
L Article: How Goat's Milk Is Healthier Than Cow's Milk Dairy 16