Poor Man's Rebreather Kit

Adrian

This is my 9 dollars CO2 (five liters plastic bottle width a litle hole) breathe through the nose
CO2.jpg

Adrian

Yes, with paper tape cover two holes and the third remove the valve.

haidut

Forum Supporter
This works better than a bag and doesn't fill your lungs with that lovely plastic smell. You need two empty bottles and a pair of scissors. Adjust the distance between the bottles until you can obtain a comfortable concentration of carbon dioxide and oxygen. :mask: (Inspired by Ray Peat for saying that people with longer noses retain more CO2).

View attachment 3311

I didn't see this mention in the thread...but why not just use 1 bottle instead of two and simply cut a hole the size of a quarter into the bottom of the bottle and use the top opening as the breathing part. No need to cut two bottles and stiwch/glue them together somehow. Also, in the US you can but water in a 1 gallon bottles that are bigger even then the 2 bottles when glued together. So, if you use one of these you would eventually be breathing into/from a 1 gallon tank filled with mostly CO2. Am I missing some obvious mistake here that would prevent this from working as well?

OP
S
Well it's hard to cut the bottom of bottles, especially holes exactly the size of the top :cool

haidut

Forum Supporter
Well it's hard to cut the bottom of bottles, especially holes exactly the size of the top :cool

Sure, but it does not have to be exact right? About the same size would do I assume. I can gut the bottom pretty easily in perfect round shape using heated screwdriver or another or a solder device.

tara

So, if you use one of these you would eventually be breathing into/from a 1 gallon tank filled with mostly CO2. Am I missing some obvious mistake here that would prevent this from working as well?
I don't believe the tank would be mostly CO2, fortunately, because that would have the downside of being lethal quite quickly (possible LD ~9% for 5 mins).

I would expect the nitrogen to remain at nearly 80%, and the oxygen to decrease from around 20%. After breathing in it for a while, the CO2 would climb from atmospheric 0.04% (or maybe up to 10 times that if in a poorly ventilated space) and may reach a level of maybe 1-5%, at which level the CO2 would probably be making quite a difference to internal CO2 levels. Depending on personal CO2 set point and tolerance, it may or may not get too high for comfort (and the O2 may or may not get too low for comfort). Depending on the current state, the discomfort could arise from either the high CO2 or the lowered O2. A mild feeling of air hunger may be useful or necessary to get CO2 conditioning the benefits, but strong discomfort can probably not be assumed to be safe for long.

Last edited:
OP
S
Sure, but it does not have to be exact right? About the same size would do I assume. I can gut the bottom pretty easily in perfect round shape using heated screwdriver or another or a solder device.

You only need scissors for this :cool

Adrian

I don't believe the tank would be mostly CO2, fortunately, because that would have the downside of being lethal quite quickly (possible LD ~9% for 5 mins).

I would expect the nitrogen to remain at nearly 80%, and the oxygen to decrease from around 20%. After breathing in it for a while, the CO2 would climb from atmospheric 0.04% (or maybe up to 10 times that if in a poorly ventilated space) and may reach a level of maybe 1-5%, at which level the CO2 would probably be making quite a difference to internal CO2 levels. Depending on personal CO2 set point and tolerance, it may or may not get too high for comfort (and the O2 may or may not get too low for comfort). Depending on the current state, the discomfort could arise from either the high CO2 or the lowered O2. A mild feeling of air hunger may be useful or necessary to get CO2 conditioning the benefits, but strong discomfort can probably not be assumed to be safe for long.
I am using a 1.3 gallon device, for a period of two hours (when watching a movie on TV) and I feel great.

tara

I am using a 1.3 gallon device, for a period of two hours (when watching a movie on TV) and I feel great.
Nice. Any sense of air hunger? When you say you feel great, do you mean you feel better during or after the 2 hrs?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals