Peristalsis, fecal impaction, etc

tara

oxidation_is_normal said:
If x is a required good thing, and y is the cause of x - then y can be considered a dependency, at least until x can be caused without y.
With this definition of dependency, dependency may generally not be a bad thing.
We all have many dependencies - on all the necessities of life.

tara

natedawggh said:
Peristalsis happens voluntarily whether or not your intestines are full.
I guess you mean involuntarily?

natedawggh

oxidation_is_normal said:
Thanks for the scolding. Some people on here do better with more fiber. I think it is worth trying, but I get very little of it because I don't eat much veggies and no gluten.

If someone gets used to bowel movements within less than 20m or so of consuming coffee, then I don't know how that wouldn't be considered a type of dependency (if they do not happen when going off coffee). If x is a required good thing, and y is the cause of x - then y can be considered a dependency, at least until x can be caused without y.

Anyway, I made this thread to learn more about the causes. My observations are that peristalsis works well up to a certain point, and then stops for some reason - perhaps in the large intestine. Would like to rule out fecal impaction, even if minor.

I'm sorry I hope I didn't come off mean. if I did I apologize.

It would not be so much that they "get used" to the coffee as it would be that their condition becomes so severe that coffee no longer helps.

I have recently actually been taking lysine, which suppresses serotonin, and serotonin is directly responsible for the absorption of water in the gut. Taking it caused a great deal of intestinal flushing and the relief of bloating and I've actually been having really great movements since using it. I highly recommend taking it—but it's not to be taken when only having symptoms, but as a constant supplement to regulate throughout the entire day. Be warned that playing with your serotonin can give you headaches and bodily discomfort, but the other benefit's i've gotten such as improved skin tone and better sleep have been totally worth it, and the headaches go away with a little bit of aspirin.

OP
O
All good - I will checkout lysine as I've not heard of that being medicinal for this... I'm checking out what TCM thinks now. The best TCM doc I know said the TCM estimate is "spleen deficiency" - so gonna try the recommended Chinese herbs and see what happens.

I drank about 1.5 tablespoons of salt in a bottle of water to flush out per the standard procedure and it barely worked. (I tried it twice.) I've tried most other things, and things work off and on. I will report back here with the TCM results after about a month or so.