Peat Girl's Logger

Jennifer

The activated charcoal may not pose a problem for Ally, but the particle size can be a concern, especially for those with intestinal damage. I know I'm not the only one it was an issue for. If I remember correctly, Wilfrid has Chron's and AC was an issue for him as well. Here's a quote from Ray:

"I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control." Ray Peat

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/10/22/3169/

javacody

Jennifer said:
The activated charcoal may not pose a problem for Ally, but the particle size can be a concern, especially for those with intestinal damage. I know I'm not the only one it was an issue for. If I remember correctly, Wilfrid has Chron's and AC was an issue for him as well. Here's a quote from Ray:

"I’m not confident of the purity and proper particle size of the charcoal products that are available, so I think bamboo shoot and carrots, along with cascara sagrada as needed, are the safest way to keep endotoxin and estrogen under control." Ray Peat

And bamboo shoots are kinda tasty fried in coconut oil with some cheese melted on them.

I feel pretty good about the charcoal I have because the same amount comes out that goes in. ;)

Ray recommends against tomatoes, but I've read some recent studies about cooked tomatoes and/or tomato juice sealing up the junctions in the gut.

That might be worth exploring, too, if tomatoes aren't an issue.

Jennifer

javacody said:
Jennifer said:

And bamboo shoots are kinda tasty fried in coconut oil with some cheese melted on them.

I feel pretty good about the charcoal I have because the same amount comes out that goes in. ;)

Ray recommends against tomatoes, but I've read some recent studies about cooked tomatoes and/or tomato juice sealing up the junctions in the gut.

Aww...man! I can't even have tomatoes without rashing up. Ally, don't go by me! My gut apparently rots!

And forget about the AC BMs! It would take three days to leave my system. Again, my gut rots! :cry:

javacody

Jennifer said:
javacody said:
Jennifer said:

Aww...man! I can't even have tomatoes without rashing up. Ally, don't go by me! My gut apparently rots!

And forget about the AC BMs! It would take three days to leave my system. Again, my gut rots! :cry:

You poor thing. You gotta get those intestines sealed back up.

Easier said than done in your current condition, I know.

Jennifer

Yeah, this has been ongoing for 6 years now. I wrote Ray this afternoon and hopefully he'll have an answer about the safety of taking minocycline or penicillin-VK for an extended period. I need to get this bacterial infection cleared if I'm ever going to get somewhere.

tara

javacody said:
You measured it?! :)

javacody said:
I know this is off on a tangent, but where have you seen Peat recommend against tomatoes? I have not seen him recommend against them generally, only for people who don't tolerate them (which unfortunately seems to be Jennifer).

javacody

tara said:
javacody said:

javacody said:
I know this is off on a tangent, but where have you seen Peat recommend against tomatoes? I have not seen him recommend against them generally, only for people who don't tolerate them (which unfortunately seems to be Jennifer).

It's a teaspoon going in, and it looks about similar coming out over the next two days.

I'm just eyeballing it though. I know that's not very scientific of me. :)

For the tomatoes, I thought I read it somewhere or heard it in an interview, but I could very well be wrong.

Ray's stuff is spread out all over the internet in papers, interviews, recordings, etc.

I need to start taking notes!

pboy

strained tomato sauce(juice?) or good quality is pretty soothing on the gut actually, but the seeds and skin or tomato's have the toxic nightshade alkaloids that the other ones do. As a kid I naturally was averse to any kind of canned tomato or sauce, id tolerate fresh tomato's a little...I suspect in the condensing process and low quality canned tomato's probably they press a lot of the nasty material in there. You can buy good stuff at health food stores if you wanna pay that or go there. Tomatoes do have a rather funky flavor to me, and are a hint acidic but not enough to really worry about. I can definitely see them as being...the strained juice at least, being good for the inestines...generally any soft inner fruit fiber from a ripe one is, up to a point

tara

pboy said:
strained tomato sauce(juice?) or good quality is pretty soothing on the gut actually, but the seeds and skin or tomato's have the toxic nightshade alkaloids that the other ones do. As a kid I naturally was averse to any kind of canned tomato or sauce, id tolerate fresh tomato's a little...I suspect in the condensing process and low quality canned tomato's probably they press a lot of the nasty material in there. You can buy good stuff at health food stores if you wanna pay that or go there. Tomatoes do have a rather funky flavor to me, and are a hint acidic but not enough to really worry about. I can definitely see them as being...the strained juice at least, being good for the inestines...generally any soft inner fruit fiber from a ripe one is, up to a point

Yes. I had patches of being averse to tomatoes as a child, and I know they have nightshades, which some people are sensitive too. I have had trouble when I've eaten a lot of tomato puree/paste etc in the past. I suspect mold etc from overripe fruit. These days I only want tomato occasionally - either fresh ripe in season, or a little paste in soups or stews occasionally. But lots of people seem to do fine eating loads of them - eg gaspacho (not my cup of tea, though).

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

javacody said:
I respectfully disagree on the charcoal.

Your gut is probably a sieve right now. All kinds of crap (literally) is flooding your bloodstream. The charcoal would bind to most of the toxins and give your system a break.

But it's your call. Your body.

Yeah, it's definitely a sieve but taking charcoal and cascara might be too much too soon for me so I decided to take one now and then the other later. And if I feel fine with either, try both. Easy does it, Cody. :)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

So, it's day 9 of the neverending cycle but there's no dragon-like creature to whisk me away.
(If there was, I'd name it ibuprofen.)

I tried aspirin yesterday for the pain and it didn't take effect for a long **** time.
I don't know why but it's the least effective pain killer for me personally. Ibu pretty much keeps
me normal for most of the day, and come to think of it, when I was at the ER with the crippling pain and the nurses realised the doses they prescribed didn't affect me they gave me some sort of opioid and had me take WITH ibuprofen. And then, I was in heaven (i.e., functional).

Anywho, today I slept for around 10-12hr trying desperately to catch up.
It's beyond me as to why but I sleep better in the mornings, by myself (J is at work).
My sleep is pretty deep (lots of dreams) and mostly uninterrupted, sans the frequent urination.
I wonder why.

When I woke up there was NO PAIN!

I (hope/ think) settled on a regular PGe dose of 5dx5/day.

Food:
Pho + tendons, oxtail meat, beef slices.*
Apple juice.
Milk chocolate.
Chocolate icecream.
Some potato chips (in avocado oil).
Unrealistic amounts of cheese.
2 oranges juiced and pulp removed.**

* I see what Ray is saying when he recommends snacking over having large, infrequent meals. But it's just not realistic or convenient for most of us. When I had the Pho I overate on tendons (yumba!) and got a little sick and lethargic. I feel better snacking, for sure.
** Yeah, the OJ burned my mouth and gave me heartburn so I will not be having it again for a while. If I do, it might be in a commercial, absolutely-pulp-free concentrate.

Not a lot of pain, still heavy flow, but I've been feeling a lack of energy and brain fog today. Hmm... Back to researching supplements! I've settled on a nice co-enzymatic B complex, a multi-mineral, K2, D3 and cascara.
That may seem like a lot to some of you here but comparing to the 13-12 different multis I was taking it's a definite improvement!

GRAIN FREE STICKERS: :smokingweed :smokingweed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPL_SV3n7IU

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Weird, when I replied to Cody I didn't see any of the other replies nor the controversial discussion.

I always loved tomatoes and always will. I use them in everything without issues in paste/ raw/ cooked/ juiced form.

Like I said I will use A/C later on. I want to test things out separately and for me, any overload of one thing has proven to be problematic.

Augh. As for updates... Yesterday I had unrelenting diarrhea which resulted in burning, irritation and an anal fissure. My diet hasn't changed and didn't even include starch lately so I have no idea what's going on...

The dryness of the feet, scalp and face came back. I don't know if T3 in conjunction with PGe was what improved the dryness, but I just know that I didn't have any for a week and today it's back!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong... :(

supercoolguy

javacody said:
tara said:
javacody said:

javacody said:

It's a teaspoon going in, and it looks about similar coming out over the next two days.

I'm just eyeballing it though. I know that's not very scientific of me. :)

For the tomatoes, I thought I read it somewhere or heard it in an interview, but I could very well be wrong.

Ray's stuff is spread out all over the internet in papers, interviews, recordings, etc.

I need to start taking notes!

Ive been taking Notes....and listening to interviews over & over.
The tomato seeds as it seems with All Seeds are undesirable, but if the tomato seeds are not chewed-up, they pass on by. Not sure on the charcoal yet. It gets mentioned but not emphasized enough to make me include it beyond Maybe a trail basis. After Carrot & Casga. Does Thyroid make the gut move??? Im thinking YES, bc 5 out of 7 times ive taken a 2 grain capsule(130mg) i get a reaction in aprox 12hrs. Thanks SCG

tara

supercoolguy said:
The tomato seeds as it seems with All Seeds are undesirable, but if the tomato seeds are not chewed-up, they pass on by. Not sure on the charcoal yet. It gets mentioned but not emphasized enough to make me include it beyond Maybe a trail basis. After Carrot & Casga. Does Thyroid make the gut move??? Im thinking YES, bc 5 out of 7 times ive taken a 2 grain capsule(130mg) i get a reaction in aprox 12hrs. Thanks SCG

:welcome supercoolguy,
Yes, if someone has constipation as a result of hypothyroid state, then supplementing thyroid could well get things moving. Peat has recommended charcoal in some situations, and it can apparently be quite effective for soaking undesirables (eg estrogen, endotoxin, other toxins) from the gut, but he has also mentioned concern about possible risks from small particles being adsorbed into the bloodstream, which is not good. He favours carrot salad daily for most people, rather than charcoal, as far as I can tell. Charcoal is unlikely to aid transit - it slows things down for some people.

Caution is justified with thyroid supps - if you want opinions on your own situation, maybe you could start a new thread for yourself with questions and a bit about your context? Eg, what reasons do you have for thinking you need thyroid supps, and have you gradually and slowly worked up to 2 grains?

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

tara said:
supercoolguy said:

:welcome supercoolguy,
Yes, if someone has constipation as a result of hypothyroid state, then supplementing thyroid could well get things moving.

Sadly, this has not been the case for me. It feels like my Tiromel (T3) has no affect on me whatsoever.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Someone's milk is another woman's fruit juice. ;)

My cavity has been killing me. It almost feels like an exposed nerve but only reacts to milk chocolate and fruit juice. Whenever I brush my teeth my mouth is on fire! I'm pretty sure all the sugar is feeding the gingivitis but I'm on the fence because it's a reductive conclusion.

I got the K2 and hope the Canadian border will let it through. *eye roll*.
Thanks Cody for the advice, I'm just worried that it won't help. It's not like my diet has been depleted in K2 since I devour huge quantities of raw cheese, dairy, chicken liver, bone broth and add greens to my broth! But maybe it's not enough.

I've never had cavities before and on Primal (OK, you can virtual-slap me the next time I start a sentence like this ;P) my dentist and his dental hygienists would rave about the state of my teeth --they were convinced I had an impeccable brushing-flossing-rinsing routine (but the joke's on them because I barely brushed my teeth at the time and never flossed in my entire life ;D). Now I brush twice a day, floss and rinse but for naught. Ah, how the mighty have fallen.

I think (I hope and pray, that is) the diarrhea had stopped. It's been ridiculous. I couldn't even leave the house. Again, unusual for me. I'm usually constipated and never had this weird IBS-like state. It's gotten so bad, like I mentioned in a previous TMI ;D, that my anus has become irritated and sensitive to the touch (not that anyone has been touching it ;D). Either the poop was too acidic or it was from wiping 100 times a day!

Wow, no longer mincing words when describing my poop. I think this calls for a Peatatarian gold-star! ;D

My "cycle" has reached day 12.
I don't know how it's possible but with all this bleeding and diarrhea I haven't lost any weight! Not good or bad, just odd.

I'm cutting out juices next week. Most of them don't have additives or ascorbic acids and I don't think the acidity is an issue for someone who digests bodybuilder quantities of beef, but I think sugar is still an issue for me after all this time... Canned pears and peaches seem okay. I tolerate things like cherries, watermelon, bananas just fine too. The only issue I have is with orange juice. Not oranges, mind you. ORANGE JUICE specifically, even if I freshly squeeze it myself. How do you even begin to explain that?!

The PGe megadosing has reached new proportions! I get around 5d. x 6-10 times daily! Not that it has any affect on me. I'm not sure why people here feel subdued or get pain relief and why that is never the case for me... I get pain relief for 10-15 minutes tops (but maybe I'm too far gone?). That said over the last 2 days I haven't noticed the pain first thing in the morning and I'm hoping this signifies that the bleeding will finally end.

I manage to feel normal and even stop the diarrhea with ibuprofen! (Oh, how I love thee, let me count the ways!). But yeah, it's a crutch. And that means the diet, as it currently is, is not working.

So, next week's goals are:
=> Cutting out juices
=> Noting if the diarrhea continues
=> Using PGe and praying to God I don't run out before Electric Body delivers the rest (snail-people!!!)
=> Restarting the Crono logging

I know, I'm getting bipolar with this Crono thing.
I'm restarting because I want to see if my symptoms are a result of high phosphorous to calcium ratio.
I also wanna see what else I'm missing nutrient-wise and if I need calcium at all.

I know Peat recommends getting 200-400g of carbs a day (correct me if I'm wrong) but I have never been able to achieve that and I'm running out of ideas here. Getting a Peatatarian proportion of crabs would be impossible. My digestion is pathetic so I'm afraid of fruit fiber, hence the copious consumption of juice, but aside from fruit and root vegetables how will I get 200g of carbs?

Sleep:
I have managed to put myself to sleep with an intensive ritual:
1) I turn off all the lights and I mean ALL the lights. Even if there's a tiny laptop light on I will cover it up or turn it off.
2) I put my tablet under my pillow and play soothing sleep music during the night.
3) I take 3 GABAs (600mgX3) (and thinking of increasing to 5 and taking 10ds. of PGe too cause it has no affect on me. GAH! NOTHING HAS ******* AFFECT ON ME EXCEPT FOR IBUPROFEN!!! >;C).
4) I get my boyfriend to pet me (haha...).

I've managed to fall asleep two nights ago but it didn't prevent me from waking up several times feeling "wide awake". Luckily yesterday I've managed to go back to sleep and wake up at 7am.

So, you'd think being awake from 7am until 11pm would make it easier for me to fall asleep last night.
Nope.
I did manage to fall asleep eventually, but not through a gentle drift off, but by WAKING UP AN HOUR LATER AND WONDERING, "Wow, so I did fall asleep after all!" and then realising I have to do it all over again.

Anyway, I woke up several times and finally at 4am was unable to fall asleep again. So, I've had what? 5 hours of restless sleep? Maybe.

I used to be able to fall asleep if I woke up early that day but that no longer works.
My insomnia has become clinical and I can't sleep more than 4-5 hours a night even though I also wake up every few hours, parched, alert and in need of a pee. I always eat a snack (cheese, juice, chocolate) but so far (2 weeks?) it has done nothing.

So, let's recap. The positives and negatives for me so far on the diet:

Positives:
=> Flabby parts, like arms and hips have become firmer (but no weight-loss on the scale)
=> Clothes are looser in shirts but not pants ('cause I'm always bloated)
=> Finally got my period with PGe (though it won't stop)
=> I get to eat lots of dairy and chocolate, which I love, and avoid vegetables which I hate
=> Lately my scalp and overall skin has become less dry (but it's back to being dry, probably due to the diarrhea and dehydration according to Jen)

Negatives:

=> Diarrhea that lasts for weeks, sometimes profuse and IBS-like (which lasted 3 days)
=> Hormonal acne along my jawline and even my shoulders, which I've never had before! (this has improved since PGe megadosing in that the acne heals but comes back again; still not as bad as it was a month ago!)
=> Constant bloating and indigestion
=> My insomnia is worse than it has ever been ;'(
=> I can't eat huge amounts of meat which I crave and love
=> No weight-loss has happened whatsoever (still obese, yay ;/) though some fat might have been lost
=> Even though I gained some lean muscle mass I feel weaker and can't lift things I used to (lack of exercise?)
=> Lethargy and lack of energy (but that's been going on for a while, so at the very least, this symptom hasn't improved on the diet)
=> Blurry vision (really weird and maybe unrelated)
=> Not sure if this is causational or correlational, but a few months into Peating I got a crinkling under the eyes that hasn't gone away. So, it seemed my skin experienced some premature aging that (just happened to be) during Peating. It could also be the dryness.
=> No improvements or any discernable effects on T3...

So, it seems most of the positive effects have been due to dairy (muscle growth) and PGe (better skin, less dryness, period). Maybe I still haven't figured things out so I'm constantly doing more reading and tweaking my diet, and I probably won't give up until I've exhausted all possible versions of Peat and feel I have at least mastered the theory.
I've never had such a reaction to diet before and I've done pretty extreme ones, but hopefully it'll be all worth it in the end.

Wow, this was long.
I'm sure no one would miss me if I decided to update weekly instead. It'd spare you long walls of text like this, which no one really reads anyway. ;D

Food for the last few days:
Canned smoked oysters, drained, paper-towel dried ;D
Carrot, daily
Chicken liver, chicken hearts (yum!) and I'm also making a chicken gizzard soup but it smells like a failure already. Is there any merit to eating gizzards? They're kinda gross.
Apple and mango juice
Cherries
Roasted/ boiled potatoes and carrots
Freshly squeezed OJ (which caused heartburn and immediate diarrhea)
Bone broth, beef tendons, some oxtail meat (you know your broth is awesome when it gelatinases in the fridge ;D) + herbs and spices, but it seems that the Peat died has reduced my tolerances to spices, herbs and spicy food ;(
Beef
Raw cheeses (parmigiano and gruyere)
Whole milk
Lots of milk chocolate
A tiny amount of chocolate HD ice cream

Oh, YAY, 8 days without grains! :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed :smokingweed

supercoolguy

Well I'm backing the dose off, kind of a hassle with capsules but I gotta, bc I have No idea what my lab test would show. Whew...I'm warm this morning!

lindsay

This is the first time I have seen your feed and it's very interesting to me. I took a step away from focusing on my diet and health for awhile because it was driving me mad. That being said, I decided to eat what I crave and pay no attention to anything other than PUFA avoidance. As it is, I cannot eat tons of meat because of my lack of gallbladder, but I tend to gravitate toward fish most of the time (usually shellfish or sushi) and some pork and beef.

If dairy is giving you such a hard time, I would avoid the diary which causes you problems. I cannot drink tons of milk (or eat cottage cheese), but I love hard cheeses and eating them has not caused me to gain tons of weight like I imagined.

Can I ask how long it took you to get your period again? Mine stopped after an Oophorectomy more than two years ago and I only got two or three super mild bleedings since then. Pretty much non-existent and the last one was over a year ago. I've given up hope, but I feel fine otherwise so it hasn't been on my mind much.

Best of wishes to you!

Jennifer

Have you tried cutting out the juice, Kitty?

I was getting diarrhea like you and had already dropped a couple pounds because of it so I dropped the milk and juice and ate noting but eggs and whole fruit. The diarrhea stopped! If you do well on whole fruit, why not stick with those and drop the juice? I think I read that even liquids can irritate the gut and cause diarrhea due to going through our system too fast, but I'm not positive on that. I asked Dr. O and she said dried blueberries are great for stopping diarrhea. If you can get your hands on some, maybe try those? I figure they're much tastier than the pink goo, Pepto.

I'm right there with you on the mega dosing PGe and continual bleeding. I'm at day 10. It sounds like you're gestating a small nation like me. :)

I can't remember if I asked you, but did you ever try ordering directly from Kenogen? I know you're in Montreal, but when I order from Kenogen, I get my order in 1 day. When I ordered through Electrical Body, not only was the price of the PGe and shipping more expensive, it would take two weeks to get my order. Kenogen is located on the other side of the country from me and yet the shipping is faster and cheaper. I don't know if the owner of EB has become more efficient, but she was much slower to ship out orders when I was ordering with her company. I would could her after two weeks had passed and ask about my order and each time she would tell me "Oh, it's been shipped already!" and by chance, it would show up a couple days later. :?

I honestly wouldn't worry so much about the carbs as I would your digestion because anything that's causing diarrhea is clearly irritating your gut and only making things worse. Does ice cream cause you diarrhea too or are you still doing okay with it? I noticed you've cut back on it?

I promise, there are people reading your walls of text! ;)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

lindsay said:
This is the first time I have seen your feed and it's very interesting to me. I took a step away from focusing on my diet and health for awhile because it was driving me mad. That being said, I decided to eat what I crave and pay no attention to anything other than PUFA avoidance. As it is, I cannot eat tons of meat because of my lack of gallbladder, but I tend to gravitate toward fish most of the time (usually shellfish or sushi) and some pork and beef.

If dairy is giving you such a hard time, I would avoid the diary which causes you problems. I cannot drink tons of milk (or eat cottage cheese), but I love hard cheeses and eating them has not caused me to gain tons of weight like I imagined.

Can I ask how long it took you to get your period again? Mine stopped after an Oophorectomy more than two years ago and I only got two or three super mild bleedings since then. Pretty much non-existent and the last one was over a year ago. I've given up hope, but I feel fine otherwise so it hasn't been on my mind much.

Best of wishes to you!

Hi Lindsay! I actually spent a lot of time reading your posts on the forum and wondered if you quit the diet and how you were doing. From what I read you're a fellow Russki! ;)

Yes, we share a lot of things in common though my gallbladder is intact. I have no issues with hard cheeses or dairy fat. It seems I tolerate fat-reduced dairy worse than full-fat dairy but, like you, hard cheeses (especially from raw milk) digest better for me than straight up milk.

I think my problem is FRUIT sugar not dairy. But of course I could be really wrong about this...
I grew up on dairy (in Ukraine) but it was clean, from well-raised cows, only mildly boiled on the stove top and the majority of it was fermented (you know the deal, sour cream, kefir, tvorog, etc.).

What have you been doing so far that has worked for you? What's your carb/ fruit intake like? I find that if I stick to what I'm craving I will just end up eating a high-fat, low carb diet! I don't like fruits and only crave meats and dairy with some sugar.

The period thing... Well, haha... That's a long story. From the symptom list I figure I have PCOS, but I've never been formally diagnosed. My period was irregular as far back as I can remember but eventually became totally absent for a few years. A year ago I stumbled on PGe and managed to "induce" it, but with it came acne, crying fits and hyperventilation. So I stopped.

This time (a year later) I restarted my Peating and PGe. I took 3d. 3 times daily like before only this time it didn't do anything. Only when I increased my dose to 5 times daily (5d.) did my perod start. It's been going on for 12 days and the flow is quite heavy and is accompanied by cramps, lower back pain and diarrhea... No dose of PGe so far has managed to eliminate the symptoms.

What are your thoughts on this?

As for your situation, have you been using PGe and for how long? Did you ever try megadosing? Like, 200-500mg per day, like me? Have you tried creams before? I hear they can produce better, less offensive results for people with damaged guts. I end up swallowing a lot of my PGe and I suppose this could explain why such a huge dose isn't working for me. I'm going to experiment with a 3.3% cream and report my experience here.

Good luck to you!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals