Peat Girl's Logger

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
Have you tried cutting out the juice, Kitty?

That's the plan, Stan! ;D
As of today I'm eating raw and cooked fruits and even managed to consume an orange from the same diarrhea-inducing batch (when I juiced it) without problems! It seems like the fiber is actually helpful to me when it comes to oranges.

I am a bit worried about not getting enough carbs like Peat recommends. How much do you get usually? Your diet is quite similar to mine.

Jennifer said:
I was getting diarrhea like you and had already dropped a couple pounds

Ha! I should be so lucky...! (Uh, a strange exclaim considering we're discussing explosive diarrhea here... ;D)

Jennifer said:
because of it so I dropped the milk and juice and ate noting but eggs and whole fruit. The diarrhea stopped! If you do well on whole fruit, why not stick with those and drop the juice?

It's cause, you know me, I don't like fruit. ;D
I eat the ones I like over and over again (mangos, bananas, watermelons and berries) and still don't get enough calories or carbs. Reading all this stuff about fiber damaging already sensitive guts got me spooked so I started chugging juice (which is tastier!). Plus, I think I was experiencing some issues with eating cherries but it was during my low-fat experiment so the cherries were probably innocent bystanders. ;P
Yep, that's my plan too. To eat whole fruits, as they came, prepackaged with fiber and skin! ;P

Jennifer said:
I think I read that even liquids can irritate the gut and cause diarrhea due to going through our system too fast, but I'm not positive on that. I asked Dr. O and she said dried blueberries are great for stopping diarrhea. If you can get your hands on some, maybe try those? I figure they're much tastier than the pink goo, Pepto.

Yes, I also know that too many liquids dilute your bile which makes digestion even worse. (Are you talking about the same thing again, haha?!) I was gonna ask you to ask Dr. O about something but I totally forgot. Yep, I will now overstep and boundaries and get medical care through YOU. ;D

Ewwww! I have no idea how that thing is meant to stop nausea if its taste is enough to induce it!
I have goji berries but never seen dried blueberries being sold here. Maybe I can dry them out?... Do you know how to, per chance, you crafty little lady? As you know here in Quebec, it's all about the honey, honey. ;)

Jennifer said:
I'm right there with you on the mega dosing PGe and continual bleeding. I'm at day 10. It sounds like you're gestating a small nation like me. :)

I would jump up and high-five you but that could get the tampons flying all over the place! ;D

Jennifer said:
I can't remember if I asked you, but did you ever try ordering directly from Kenogen? I know you're in Montreal, but when I order from Kenogen, I get my order in 1 day. When I ordered through Electrical Body, not only was the price of the PGe and shipping more expensive, it would take two weeks to get my order. Kenogen is located on the other side of the country from me and yet the shipping is faster and cheaper. I don't know if the owner of EB has become more efficient, but she was much slower to ship out orders when I was ordering with her company. I would could her after two weeks had passed and ask about my order and each time she would tell me "Oh, it's been shipped already!" and by chance, it would show up a couple days later. :?

I looked up and I think the Kenogen website was selling it for 32$ and EB for 28$. The shipping from EB is the cheapest for me as far as I know. I thought you gotta call them and place the order? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Enlighten me! ;D

Jennifer said:
I honestly wouldn't worry so much about the carbs as I would your digestion because anything that's causing diarrhea is clearly irritating your gut and only making things worse. Does ice cream cause you diarrhea too or are you still doing okay with it? I noticed you've cut back on it?

Ah! So you answered my question, hehe. I've unintentionally cut back on it when I realised my only two choices without lecithins and corn starch are chocolate and coffee... My favourite, the strawberry HD, is no longer in stock (OMG did I tell you about my curse?). I have chocolate HD in the freezer but didn't eat it aside from a few spoonfuls. My body usually goes, "Nope, don't want it." It's weird. I've become obsessed with milk chocolate instead but the cavity makes it hard to eat as much as I like. ;c

Like I said, one woman's dairy is another woman's fruit juice! So this week I'll see if the diarrhea stops if I eat dairy, whole fruit and bone broths. But if it is the dairy that's getting me then eating 80% of my calories in dairy form would probably kill me. So, if I stop updating altogether, know that I've always love you... >;D

Jennifer said:
I promise, there are people reading your walls of text! ;)

Nah, just my favourite reader is. ;P

Jennifer

I must of been writing my reply when Lindsay posted. Hi Lindsay! :wavingyellow I've been wondering where you've been.

Peat's_Girl said:
That's the plan, Stan! ;D
As of today I'm eating raw and cooked fruits and even managed to consume an orange from the same diarrhea-inducing batch (when I juiced it) without problems! It seems like the fiber is actually helpful to me when it comes to oranges.
Awesome! I notice the same thing with the fiber. It stops the fruit from going right through me. I no longer get that churning/sloshing in my gut that precedes the diarrhea.

Peat's_Girl said:
I am a bit worried about not getting enough carbs like Peat recommends. How much do you get usually? Your diet is quite similar to mine.
I don't count, I just go by cravings. Sometimes I need something sweet and I assume it means my liver is running low on glycogen. No sweet cravings, my liver is tapped off. :)

Peat's_Girl said:
Yep, that's my plan too. To eat whole fruits, as they came, prepackaged with fiber and skin! ;P
I eat the same fruits over and over again, too. That's okay if those are the only ones you enjoy. I think eating to taste will go a long way in how you even digest your food. Do you enjoy potatoes more or even sweet potatoes? I think you mentioned gas from sweet potatoes? There's also squash. I LOVE Delicata squash. We're coming into the season for it. Do you like squash and normally have access to different varieties during the fall?

Peat's_Girl said:
I was gonna ask you to ask Dr. O about something but I totally forgot. Yep, I will now overstep and boundaries and get medical care through YOU. ;D
Haha! I'll ask her anything you want, my Kitty! I see her the beginning of September so that should give you plenty of time to remember what you wanted me to ask her. :)

Peat's_Girl said:
I have goji berries but never seen dried blueberries being sold here. Maybe I can dry them out?... Do you know how to, per chance, you crafty little lady? As you know here in Quebec, it's all about the honey, honey. ;)
I'm wondering if you put them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven at a low temp like say 145 degrees F to dehydrate them? You may have to blanch fresh blueberries first. I'll go see if I can find any directions on how to do it.

Edit- Here's some instructions:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7722218_dry-blu ... -oven.html

Peat's_Girl said:
I would jump up and high-five you but that could get the tampons flying all over the place! ;D
I can't believe you went there, but I'm so proud you did! That's my girl! Hehe!

Peat's_Girl said:
I looked up and I think the Kenogen website was selling it for 32$ and EB for 28$. The shipping from EB is the cheapest for me as far as I know. I thought you gotta call them and place the order? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Enlighten me! ;D
Kenogen charged me $28.50 a bottle and on the EB site, she charges $28.95. You can either send them an email ([email protected]) or call them. If you send them an email and give them your name, address, phone number, credit card type, credit card number, expiration date, name on the card and the security code on the back, along with how much you want to order, depending how early you email them in the day, they'll usually ship your order same day or the following morning. At least that's been my experience every time. EB charges a certain rate per order amount so I'm not sure if it comes out cheaper for you, but Kenogen has always had a cheaper rate for me and like I said, they're on the other side of the country from me.

Peat's_Girl said:
My favourite, the strawberry HD, is no longer in stock (OMG did I tell you about my curse?). I have chocolate HD in the freezer but didn't eat it aside from a few spoonfuls. My body usually goes, "Nope, don't want it." It's weird. I've become obsessed with milk chocolate instead but the cavity makes it hard to eat as much as I like. ;c
Funny, I never wanted the chocolate either. I like strawberry, too! I was getting the all natural Turkey Hill brand and they had one that was mango. It was delicious, but it was a limited addition and they stopped making it. Looks like I'll have to come up with a coconut cream recipe. Mmm...young Thai coconut ice cream would be killer. :mrgreen:

Peat's_Girl said:
But if it is the dairy that's getting me then eating 80% of my calories in dairy form would probably kill me. So, if I stop updating altogether, know that I've always love you... >;D
Aww...I ate 90% of my calories from dairy and I'm still here to stalk you! I mean, admire you from afar. ;P

Peat's_Girl said:
Nah, just my favourite reader is. ;P
Aww...for that, I am so making you a Russian feast. :D

tara

javacody said:
tara said:
javacody said:
I feel pretty good about the charcoal I have because the same amount comes out that goes in. ;)
You measured it?! :)

It's a teaspoon going in, and it looks about similar coming out over the next two days.

I'm just eyeballing it though. I know that's not very scientific of me. :)

So if I put in 2 tbsps (mixed to a slurry with water), and it looks like 2 cups coming out, how would you interpret that? :lol:
I figure it just make every thing black on the way through, and I have no idea if a few particles are going astray in the process.

lindsay

Peat's_Girl said:
lindsay said:
This is the first time I have seen your feed and it's very interesting to me. I took a step away from focusing on my diet and health for awhile because it was driving me mad. That being said, I decided to eat what I crave and pay no attention to anything other than PUFA avoidance. As it is, I cannot eat tons of meat because of my lack of gallbladder, but I tend to gravitate toward fish most of the time (usually shellfish or sushi) and some pork and beef.

If dairy is giving you such a hard time, I would avoid the diary which causes you problems. I cannot drink tons of milk (or eat cottage cheese), but I love hard cheeses and eating them has not caused me to gain tons of weight like I imagined.

Can I ask how long it took you to get your period again? Mine stopped after an Oophorectomy more than two years ago and I only got two or three super mild bleedings since then. Pretty much non-existent and the last one was over a year ago. I've given up hope, but I feel fine otherwise so it hasn't been on my mind much.

Best of wishes to you!

Hi Lindsay! I actually spent a lot of time reading your posts on the forum and wondered if you quit the diet and how you were doing. From what I read you're a fellow Russki! ;)

Yes, we share a lot of things in common though my gallbladder is intact. I have no issues with hard cheeses or dairy fat. It seems I tolerate fat-reduced dairy worse than full-fat dairy but, like you, hard cheeses (especially from raw milk) digest better for me than straight up milk.

I think my problem is FRUIT sugar not dairy. But of course I could be really wrong about this...
I grew up on dairy (in Ukraine) but it was clean, from well-raised cows, only mildly boiled on the stove top and the majority of it was fermented (you know the deal, sour cream, kefir, tvorog, etc.).

What have you been doing so far that has worked for you? What's your carb/ fruit intake like? I find that if I stick to what I'm craving I will just end up eating a high-fat, low carb diet! I don't like fruits and only crave meats and dairy with some sugar.

The period thing... Well, haha... That's a long story. From the symptom list I figure I have PCOS, but I've never been formally diagnosed. My period was irregular as far back as I can remember but eventually became totally absent for a few years. A year ago I stumbled on PGe and managed to "induce" it, but with it came acne, crying fits and hyperventilation. So I stopped.

This time (a year later) I restarted my Peating and PGe. I took 3d. 3 times daily like before only this time it didn't do anything. Only when I increased my dose to 5 times daily (5d.) did my perod start. It's been going on for 12 days and the flow is quite heavy and is accompanied by cramps, lower back pain and diarrhea... No dose of PGe so far has managed to eliminate the symptoms.

What are your thoughts on this?

As for your situation, have you been using PGe and for how long? Did you ever try megadosing? Like, 200-500mg per day, like me? Have you tried creams before? I hear they can produce better, less offensive results for people with damaged guts. I end up swallowing a lot of my PGe and I suppose this could explain why such a huge dose isn't working for me. I'm going to experiment with a 3.3% cream and report my experience here.

Good luck to you!

Hi there! I haven't really quit the diet, so to speak. I just can't follow any specific protocol because I have a long history of eating disorders and find it's better for me to just be somewhat normal. That being said, I try to eat what I like and what works for me :) And actually, I'm not a Russki - well, not by birth. But somehow I ended up studying in Russia and now we own a tiny dacha in the Russian speaking area of Estonia, so I spend my vacations surrounded by Russians trying to absorb the language. I actually feel my best when I'm at dacha and wish I could stay there year round - love the simple way of life.

Regarding dairy, I think we are the same - I prefer high fat dairy and seem to do best with it. I don't eat ice cream though - only occasionally and in small amounts. Do you eat a lot of ice cream? My husband noticed it would give him diarrhea every time he ate it, so he also never eats ice cream. Like you, I tend to crave high fat and salt. My favorite snacks include hard cheeses and cured meats. We currently have Beef tongue cooking in a pot and I'm really excited to try it for the first time - for some reason I never ate язык. I looked at in on the menu in Russia numerous times and just never ordered it. I think it's intimidating for Americans. But now it's cooking in a pot at home :)

Anyhow, things that have worked for me vary. My breakfast consists of espresso with a good amount of goats milk and sugar and some sort of fruit - usually grapes or oranges. I find that oranges and grapefruits are good for regularity - I think that's why they are known to lower estrogen in studies. Oranges are a little easier on the digestion than grapefruits for me. Grapes are my favorite fruit of all though. I clean them with vinegar and baking soda to get the wax off the skin. I also like melons, but they tend to upset my stomach unless perfectly ripe. Actually, most fruits bother me aside from citrus and grapes. Sometimes I eat apples though - also good for regularity. I cannot stress the importance of espresso for me - it's such a fantastic source of magnesium. I noticed my nails breaking constantly when we were away because I wasn't drinking my espresso every day.

I don't particularly like lunch, so I graze all day when I feel I need the energy - usually on fruit, maybe some ham, Organic OJ from Wholefoods, more espresso with milk or cream, etc. I don't really love sweets anymore, except I'm a candy addict. Especially gummy candies - tried making my own and am not into them. I've decided to use honey to quench my candy tooth, as it's a bit healthier. Other than that, I only eat sugar to cravings. For dinner, I usually get soup from a local restaurant or sushi. Mostly because I'm a lazy cook and have trouble digesting most proteins - especially eggs. Taking Ox Bile has helped a lot though. I take two of those once a day before my late afternoon meal to help with digestion.

My big problem is, I love veggies. All of them. I love salads - especially when drenched with good olive oil, cured meats and cheese. And tomatoes. And I love pickled things - even before Eastern Europe. I try to eat what I like and what I feel good on and my biggest love in the world (aside from cheese and cured meats) is soup. When we were in Estonia, I ate lots of borsch and Solyanka. I could eat soup at every meal of the day, but I hate cooking soup. My bedtime snack is a plate of cheese and salami with some wine. I break all the rules of being a Peatarian, but I usually sleep okay and when I can't, I listen to GentleWhispering ASMR on youtube - her voice puts me to sleep every time. And she's a Russki :)

So that's pretty much what I do. And I take a ton of supplements. Ox Bile, pregnenolone, PGe (I've started skin application of that because I hate putting the stuff on my lips), Vitamin K2 (works miracles for my teeth and bruising), and I just bought Nutrisorb Vitamin A because of troubles with bloodshot eyes after flying. Sometimes I take B1 and vitamin E and activated charcoal and cascara sagrada - I have trouble staying regular without the latter. And I recently signed onto the essential oil bandwagon - because the smells make me happy and that is priceless. I'm looking to experiment with them for digestive issues too - I've heard good things from friends. Orange oil is on it's way to me and is suppose to help with PMS and other female issues.

My lack of period is likely due to my now missing ovary and past issues. I think my eating disorders thoroughly screwed my body up. I never knew what sanity and clear thinking were until I started reducing stress and taking progesterone and thyroid. I became like a new person - much less bitchy. Now I don't need to take so much progesterone, but if life gets stressful, I try to not forget it. I did mega-dosing for awhile and that's when I got a very mild period two or three months in a row. And then it never came back. I'm due for blood work, but so tired of doctors and spending money on medical stuff. I'm still paying off my appendicitis surgery from a year ago.

Anyhow, that's pretty much what I do. Not at all Peaty except I eat some dairy, try to get enough protein and I like Oranges and orange juice. For me, the understanding of female hormones is what make RP shine. His work has changed my life on that note. But if his recommendations don't work for me, I don't try to make them work.

Also, for what its worth, I found that engaging my mind in activities which I love really help me in other aspects of life. I love to walk, be somewhat active, travel, take lots of photographs, etc. I'm working on a photography project this year and its really helped me take my mind off my health issues and allowed me to not feel bored. That was a big thing for me - feeling trapped in my body and mind and I feel so much better exercising it with something creative.

So that's where I'm at. If I could just get my digestion figured out, I would be great! It's always all over the place and with no rhyme or reason as to what I eat or take. Then again, I'm in a difficult scenario without a gallbladder and appendix. That's why I'm looking to the essential oils.

If you find anything that works for you, I'd love to hear - especially the progesterone cream! The company I buy my essential oils from sells a progesterone cream and they reference Dr. Lee., so I wrote asking about the cream to see if it's natural progesterone. Would love to hear how the cream works for you!!

lindsay

Jennifer said:
Hi Lindsay! :wavingyellow I've been wondering where you've been.

Hi Jennifer!! I was away in Estonia & Russia for about 5 weeks and am just getting back to life. Will try to get on the Forum from time to time :) Hope you are well!! I'm curious to hear how things are after antibiotics!!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

lindsay said:
And actually, I'm not a Russki - well, not by birth.

I think someone said that you remind them of someone who's Russian and I thought the said, "also Russian". Oh well, I'm a Ukie anyway. ;D As well as many other different things. Is your husband Russian?

lindsay said:
But somehow I ended up studying in Russia and now we own a tiny dacha in the Russian speaking area of Estonia, so I spend my vacations surrounded by Russians trying to absorb the language. I actually feel my best when I'm at dacha and wish I could stay there year round - love the simple way of life.

Yeah, I miss that lifestyle too. When I was a kid visiting my grandparents in the summer, I would forage for the berries and fruits there instead of doing any work. Those were great memories, and probably why I hate the fruit here... It doesn't taste like fruit to me!

lindsay said:
Regarding dairy, I think we are the same - I prefer high fat dairy and seem to do best with it. I don't eat ice cream though - only occasionally and in small amounts. Do you eat a lot of ice cream?

Not as much as people on here do. It's expensive and I can only buy 2 varieties without carrageenan, lecithins and wheat, so I get bored of it. For my birthday (in 7 days) I've deduced (well, through the process of spying ;P) that I'm getting an icecream maker! So I must be eating enough to give my BF some sort of a clue. I'm sure made with organic milk, real eggs and wholesome ingredients it will now become irresistible and I'll be consuming more!

lindsay said:
My husband noticed it would give him diarrhea every time he ate it, so he also never eats ice cream.

Did he eat it on an empty stomach or after a meal? I find that on its own it could cause some issues in large quantities.

lindsay said:
Like you, I tend to crave high fat and salt. My favorite snacks include hard cheeses and cured meats.

My BF loves cured meats! If we get any European sausages they will be gone within days. I like cheese and I love meat, not necessarily salty. Just steak, chicken, shrimp, lamb, pork chops... I've never had issues with protein or meat, until lately... Supposedly the phosphorous ratio is harmful and will age you without the balance of gelatin/ connective tissue, but if I go with my cravings I will eat 100-150g of pure muscle meat without flinching. I do eat connective tissues like on chicken legs, and break the bone to eat the marrow which people find weird and gross. I enjoy tendons, oxtails, livers, cheeks, tongues, and my favourite hearts(!) and most things people find gross. The only thing I find a bit iffy is blood, but I like raw meat and will eat it almost bleu at a restaurant.

So if I go by my cravings to make a diet and proclaim it as the ultimate diet for all (haha) it would look like this:
Any animal that moves.
Copious amounts of dairy.
Chocolate and icecream as a supplement.
A daily young coconut.
Soups with tons of meat from bones.
Some juice to quench thirst.
A potato drowning in butter once in a while.

;D

So, it's kinda Peaty but also has a few flaws: no fruits, high-fat, low-carb and too much phosphorous.

lindsay said:
We currently have Beef tongue cooking in a pot and I'm really excited to try it for the first time - for some reason I never ate язык. I looked at in on the menu in Russia numerous times and just never ordered it. I think it's intimidating for Americans. But now it's cooking in a pot at home :)

So tasty! Ghastly to look at but if you get over that, it has the most divine texture. Silky and chewy and so good with garlic mayo. Not that I have mayo anymore... :/

lindsay said:
Oranges are a little easier on the digestion than grapefruits for me.

Oddly, I can't tolerate OJ in any form but I've always been OK with oranges. Again, until lately... It's either the period or I'm doing something seriously wrong.

lindsay said:
I clean them with vinegar and baking soda to get the wax off the skin.

I'll try that! My favourite is young coconut. The only way I'd agree to a week on the Vegan diet would be if you promised me I get an unlimited supply of those. But they're barely considered fruit... More like a Vegan fleshy, fatty steak! ;D

lindsay said:
Actually, most fruits bother me aside from citrus and grapes.

Me too... :( Do you prefer raw fruit? Have you tried canned? I'm trying some now and also cooking them. Seems okay... But they only have pineapples, pears and peaches. Pineapples are supposedly serotonin inducing so I don't get those...

lindsay said:
Sometimes I eat apples though - also good for regularity.
My mom thinks that but she makes me eat the core and the seeds and the tail! ;D

lindsay said:
I cannot stress the importance of espresso for me - it's such a fantastic source of magnesium. I noticed my nails breaking constantly when we were away because I wasn't drinking my espresso every day.
I removed coffee to see if it improves my insomnia but it didn't so I'm adding it back in tomorrow.

lindsay said:
I don't particularly like lunch, so I graze all day
It seems to be what Peat recommends but I can't! It goes against the grain for me. Growing up I had 3 square meals at specific times, never any snacks. And then I was either hungry or fasting and having one big meal a day... I'm trying to snack more now.

lindsay said:
Taking Ox Bile has helped a lot though. I take two of those once a day before my late afternoon meal to help with digestion.
I take Betaine HCL, which has a similar function I believe, but only when I feel the food sitting in my stomach.

lindsay said:
My big problem is, I love veggies. All of them. I love salads
Crazy girl! ;P

lindsay said:
especially when drenched with good olive oil, cured meats and cheese. And tomatoes. And I love pickled things - even before Eastern Europe.
Ah, so you seem to like the texture and the adage of fat (oil) and protein! Is it really the vegetables? ;D It's like me, I love cobb salad, but only because it has bacon, ham, cheese, egg and sweet corn and ranch dressing. Yum!

I love pickled things and sauerkraut but again on this diet I can't tolerate them any more...

lindsay said:
my biggest love in the world (aside from cheese and cured meats) is soup.

Ah, you made me miss borscht! My mom is not a great cook but that is one thing she can make, a mean, red borsht. Have you tried "shchi"? It's like a green borsht and I forgot what the main ingredient is, kale or some other green, and it has a tangy, fresh flavour like a lemony salad! I'm sure you'll love it.

I too love soup! It's why I fell inlove with Korean food! They have so many different types of stews it's unreal! ;D They're all bone broth based and until I've had a kalbitang I haven't lived! See, since we left Ukraine, when I was 6, I haven't had anything with bone broth (and my mom became a Vegetarian for a while), so I think this entire time I really needed bone broth in my life and didn't realise it until that very moment. This craving for galbitang made me wade through snow, get lost for hours in sketchy neighbourhoods and come upon other adventures just to eat it! ;D

Korean food reminds me of home, even though it's nothing I've had before. But I guess sort of similar to Ukranian food. They have sauerkraut (kicmhi), use lots of potatoes, beef and make soups with vegetables and radishes (daikon). Haven on earth! O_O

lindsay said:
I did mega-dosing for awhile and that's when I got a very mild period two or three months in a row. And then it never came back.
Odd. Jen and I bleed for weeks... (This is my first month, so day 14th and still a heavy flow that smells metallic. Maybe too much iron in my blood?)

lindsay said:
I'm due for blood work, but so tired of doctors and spending money on medical stuff. I'm still paying off my appendicitis surgery from a year ago.

I hear ya, I don't have insurance and my experience with doctors is the reason I've only been to one a few years ago (at the ER!). I'm stabbing in the dark, but I don't trust anyone but myself.

lindsay said:
Anyhow, that's pretty much what I do. Not at all Peaty except I eat some dairy, try to get enough protein and I like Oranges and orange juice. For me, the understanding of female hormones is what make RP shine. His work has changed my life on that note. But if his recommendations don't work for me, I don't try to make them work.
Yes, that seems to be the case for most people here unfortunately, whether they like to admit it or not. But I've decided to give it an earnest try without my personal biases against it (Paleo).

lindsay said:
they reference Dr. Lee., so I wrote asking about the cream to see if it's natural progesterone. Would love to hear how the cream works for you!!

What's it called? They're out of stock of it... It's bizarre! I hope they restock it. I will be updating weekly until I either die from diarrhea or get a clue. ;P

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

A little update.

(Don't expect miracles, it is me after all, the long-winded, purple-prosed assassin! *cape bellows in the wind*)

So, I've mistakenly skipped out on some PGe yesterday and today. The period seemed to have stopped today.
I have no explanation as to why stopping PGe would stop the bleeding and also hypothesise that it was getting bored of torturing me and was gonna move onto someone else anyway (sorry Jen!).

I've been glued to Cronometer, carefully tracking my phos:cal ratio. I have no idea why my cravings for grains have stopped but the cravings for meat are ravenous. If phosphorous excess is toxic and a balance of aminos is essential why would I naturally crave such a high quantities of muscle meats? Specifically, chicken hearts, lamb and beef?

I've made a batch of jello and have bone broth in various forms (pho, tomato soup, chicken neck soup) so I try my darndest to balance things out. If I can't, I'm forced to supplement with a cal-mag but never manag to get my ratio to the ideal 2:1.

I'm forcing myself to eat some free-range eggs for breakfast but I've also allowed myself chicken, with skin, and smoked salmon (hey, it's cold smoked, all right?!). My PUFAs aren't over 6g for the day so I can live with this. The rest is dairy in huge quantities. Cheeses (gruyere, jarlsberg, parmigiano reggiano, ricotta (buffalo milk, like a boss!), mascarpone), whole milk, icecreams (I keep 3 brands on hand and getting an ice cream maker for my barfday; oh gawd, pls don't make it a barfday Y_Y) and chocolate milk.

Fruit still seems to cause some issues, but in the absence of juice and huge quantities of fruit I'm finally rid of the diarrhea.

The milk is causing some more fat-to-muscle conversion that I can feel. I had this embarrassing little pouch of fat under my chin and now it's completely gone! Yes, my face still looks like grandma's finest china (a plate) but below the chin it's smooth and toned.

I've seemed to have gained some weight though. My calories are 1,800kcal on average, a maintenance amount I think, and though I welcome the muscle I don't understand why I'd need to gain muscle on top of the overweight I already have?! Why can't I see at least some steady weight-loss? :(
I'd cut calories but that wouldn't help my insomnia or the profuse bleeding, so...

Next week I will add some OJ back but not sure in which form. If that doesn't work, apple juice. If that doesn't work, berry juice. I'll opt for 100%, no additives this time, but if all hell breaks loose I'll know that juice is the culprit. From there I'll probably do a bizarre dairy and meat diet with gelatin, broths, eggs and carrots.

Ah, yes, carrots! I'm diligent now and have been having 12 organic baby carrots mid day. Not sure if they deserve any of the credit for the lack of diarrhea. Maybe all things are falling into place.
*knock on all the wood in the house*

I didnt mean to cut out starch but I did.

Laters alligators.

Jennifer

lindsay said:
Jennifer said:
Hi Lindsay! :wavingyellow I've been wondering where you've been.

Hi Jennifer!! I was away in Estonia & Russia for about 5 weeks and am just getting back to life. Will try to get on the Forum from time to time :) Hope you are well!! I'm curious to hear how things are after antibiotics!!
Ah, I was hoping you got a chance to spend time away in Estonia! The antibiotics helped clear the rash, but I still had to drop milk. I'm going to try bone broth to see if that helps heal my gut so I can add milk back. Other than that, I'm doing good. I'm glad to hear you are too! :)

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
So, I've mistakenly skipped out on some PGe yesterday and today. The period seemed to have stopped today.
I have no explanation as to why stopping PGe would stop the bleeding and also hypothesise that it was getting bored of torturing me and was gonna move onto someone else anyway (sorry Jen!).
LOL I forgot and skipped out on taking the PGe the past couple of days and my period stopped today, too. That's what I find bizzare. PGe makes me bleed and as soon as I stop it, I stop bleeding. :?

Peat's_Girl said:
I've made a batch of jello and have bone broth in various forms (pho, tomato soup, chicken neck soup) so I try my darndest to balance things out. If I can't, I'm forced to supplement with a cal-mag but never manag to get my ratio to the ideal 2:1.
Why 2:1? 1:1 is perfectly fine.

Peat's_Girl said:
The rest is dairy in huge quantities. Cheeses (gruyere, jarlsberg, parmigiano reggiano, ricotta (buffalo milk, like a boss!), mascarpone), whole milk, icecreams (I keep 3 brands on hand and getting an ice cream maker for my barfday; oh gawd, pls don't make it a barfday Y_Y) and chocolate milk.
Aww...you're my hero! I want to be just like you when I grow up. :) Ohhh...all that wonderful dairy!

Peat's_Girl said:
Fruit still seems to cause some issues, but in the absence of juice and huge quantities of fruit I'm finally rid of the diarrhea.
I notice if the fruit isn't ripe, it causes me issues too. The diarrhea stopped for me also when I cut out the juice and switched to whole fruits.

Peat's_Girl said:
Next week I will add some OJ back but not sure in which form. If that doesn't work, apple juice. If that doesn't work, berry juice. I'll opt for 100%, no additives this time, but if all hell breaks loose I'll know that juice is the culprit. From there I'll probably do a bizarre dairy and meat diet with gelatin, broths, eggs and carrots.

I didnt mean to cut out starch but I did.
I don't think that's a bizarre diet, Kitty. Ray has said in one of his articles that a diet of fruit and milk or meat and milk provide all the essential nutrients.

Funny, when I was drinking all that milk and sugar, I never craved starches. Eventually, I stopped craving anything, even the milk and sugar. It was weird. Now that I'm eating all this fruit, my appetite has picked up again as well as my temps and energy. I seem to be hooked on watermelon. I've been getting insanely good ones. A little bit of protein like a salted egg and a personal-sized watermelon and my head is so clear, my mood so good and my energy so high.

After a while, crocodile!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Jennifer said:
Why 2:1? 1:1 is perfectly fine.

If that's the case I've been totally fine. But I've read Peat recommending that as optimal.

Jennifer said:
LOL I forgot and skipped out on taking the PGe the past couple of days and my period stopped today, too. That's what I find bizzare. PGe makes me bleed and as soon as I stop it, I stop bleeding. :?

It makes sense now that I've stumbled on some info during my supplement research (nope, still didn't buy them! ADHD much?...). I'll send you the usual, long-**** email today with some genetic rant laced into an otherwise emo and pointless discussion of my daily menu. ;D

Jennifer said:
I notice if the fruit isn't ripe, it causes me issues too. The diarrhea stopped for me also when I cut out the juice and switched to whole fruits.

Augh, I don't know anymore... One step forward, two steps back. Some days are fine and I have normal, though frequent, bowel movements and then the next day, with no change of diet I'll get watery, yellow stool again! That sounds a lot like what you've been having, so save me a sit at your GAPs table...

I'm actually starting to suspect it was the magnesium I use to balance out my phos:calc. It never gave me diarrhea before but now I'm more susceptible to it, it seems. Or maybe, hell, it's dairy. Somehow I've managed to convince you to get off it and not myself! Funny how that works... >;c

Ripe, cooked or canned, I gotta limit my fruit to 3 servings max if I want to make it through the night...

Sleep is still crappy, because I'm up all night, but at least I sleep soundly in the morning... :/
That said I'm all foggy and groggy after 10hrs and have no energy!

Jennifer said:
I don't think that's a bizarre diet, Kitty. Ray has said in one of his articles that a diet of fruit and milk or meat and milk provide all the essential nutrients.

Yeah, I even heard him say a meat and milk diet is just as good with some vitamin C supplementation (but I think he means OJ!).

Jennifer said:
Funny, when I was drinking all that milk and sugar, I never craved starches. Eventually, I stopped craving anything, even the milk and sugar. It was weird. Now that I'm eating all this fruit, my appetite has picked up again as well as my temps and energy. I seem to be hooked on watermelon. I've been getting insanely good ones. A little bit of protein like a salted egg and a personal-sized watermelon and my head is so clear, my mood so good and my energy so high.

That's how I feel right now! I can go for a long time without food but would all of a sudden get this ravenous hunger when my glycogen stores are empty. That said, I can no longer eat the same amount of food! J portions out the same way we always eat but I can barely finish a 1/3d of it. I've become sort of a grazer in that I'll have a bowl of soup, then some jello, some cheese, a glass of milk, chocolate, until mid-late day/ evening I'm no longer hungry. Too bad the weight loss is still not happening.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Small little update.

The big D came and gone. I seem to be getting used to the diet (but I've also reduced fruit dramatically) and though I'm glued to Crono, I'm not sweating the P-C-F ratios. (Like, 100-150-80.)

I have some moments of mental clarity but they don't last. I also can't distinguish between adrenaline/ cortisol and good energy, so I've given up on trying to quantify that.

Less frequent urination and longer sleep, so that's an early birthday gift. ;)

I'm doing my best and I'm feeling a bit better, so! *fingers, toes, legs crossed*

My BARFDAY is in 5 days, so I probably won't be around to update this week and will have some non-Peaty foods, possibly a grain or two! ;D

I've discovered how B vitamin supplementation could really help me so this could be the missing link for me!

For you fruit lovers out there! (The title not the subject matter!)

Stay cool, Peaple! :partydance

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Goodbye.

Actually never mind.

Since I've been officially warned by the mods for my "inappropriate" behaviour (but it could also be my recommendation to eat jello and masturbate, so who knows? ;)) I've realised that this forum, as I suspected all along, is not a place where I can be comfortable expressing myself.

This isn't a place to get help and support, like many of us realise now. It's a place for bipolar teenage troglodytes to spew hate and threaten others with violence only to apologize 5 minutes later (and never get banned, apparently; I probably should have went that route instead of making jokes about bananas).
It's a place where people's opinions and well-meaning advice WILL get you banned (sorry, VoS). It's a place for irrelevant discussion to take place, sidestepping the real issues. It's a place for humourless people who chant Ray Peat quotes like robots.

Ironically, I think this entire forum represents everything Peat is against. This isn't a place where creativity and enlightenment can flourish. Here you won't learn new things and meet people who will challenge you mentally (just meet the mentally challenged ;)).

It's a place that has always made me feel anxious and unwelcome.
I should have gotten a clue early on.

I'll continue reading and implementing Ray's work and I hope this will be the last social forum I'll ever be on.
If I ever miss conversing with butthurt basement dwellers, I'll guess I'll have to go get the real thing. ;D

Good luck to the few decent people still on the forum.* (Call the police...!)

*(I will not reply to this post.)

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Some of the young men that have been abusive on the forum have been variously warned, moderated, and banned for periods, and may be again if they continue to behave badly.

If what you need for creativity and enlightenment is a space that permits insults and abuse, then this is not the place for you. What some people need to allow creativity and open thought is a space free from insults and abuse.

If you have a problem with someone else's post, you can report it to the mods. Or you can respond in a respectful constructive manner. You are not permitted to use it as an excuse for being disrespectful yourself.

This forum has a specific purpose. It is not primarily intended to meet whatever other social needs posters may have (though if it does some of this consistent with the primary purpose, that's well and good).

lindsay

Part of the reason I stopped visiting the forum was that I realized I needed to explore other ways of achieving good health and stop listening to information that was stifling my brain. I'm grateful for the forum members who were positive and offered good information about different products and their experiences with health, and I think Ray Peat is brilliant, but I think a lot of the negativity you hear on here would be better off if those people channeled their energy into something brain stimulating - like painting, etc. I stopped visiting the forum so often when I began my photography project and it has really helped me feel better in that I don't feel bored, I'm always learning and I'm not so stressed about my health. That was very important.

I still would love to come back here and spend time chatting with the people who have good positive insights on foods and some supplements from time to time, but I think it's good to sometimes just branch off and live your life and find what works for you. We are all different and have different needs, so there is no blanket that fits everyone for health. Find what works for you and I'm sure you will find that a lot of RP's suggestions will be helpful to you! That's been the case for me. His philosophy on health is very difficult to put together all the pieces and not everyone can handle tons of dairy and fruit - so do what will work for you!!

That being said, if there is one fruit I will walk away from and eat all the time it's oranges - and sometimes grapefruits. And all citrus. And I just bought orange oil and it's amazing smelling and good for estrogen symptoms. Aside from that and the research I've seen myself, I try to follow my instincts and cravings when it comes to food. Following my appendicitis, I was craving a very RP diet rich in dairy and cheese. Now I crave lots of cured meats and seafood - and cheese. Sometimes I want vegetables. Sometimes I don't. I try to follow my instincts. It doesn't always work out so great, but sometimes it does and I feel better. IT's a process and sometimes, especially if you have had a history of bad health, it just takes time.

Best wishes to you!! Hope to hear how things go from you in the future :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals